Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So I just watched Atlanta Season 3 episode 6 (White Fashion)

Holy poo poo is the rest of the show this good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I was kinda disappointed with Licorice Pizza. It's a fine film, imo kind of forgettable when stacked up in Anderson's overall filmography...considering the sort of range P.T. has shown himself as capable of it was just like...so on the nose to just do more mostly white 70s americana poo poo. Like what Wes did, with both of them it was like conceptually the SNL skit versions of what you'd imagine the Andersons making. You made Punch Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood, The Master, man you can do anything, push yourself.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Quick question - in Licorice Pizza, isn't he 15 into 16 and she like 25?

Leon: The Professional 2 got weird

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I was kinda disappointed with Licorice Pizza. It's a fine film, imo kind of forgettable when stacked up in Anderson's overall filmography...considering the sort of range P.T. has shown himself as capable of it was just like...so on the nose to just do more mostly white 70s americana poo poo. Like what Wes did, with both of them it was like conceptually the SNL skit versions of what you'd imagine the Andersons making. You made Punch Drunk Love, There Will Be Blood, The Master, man you can do anything, push yourself.

Doing a breezy teen summer hangout comedy immediately after Phantom Thread makes it even better imho

The Bradley Cooper and Sean Penn/Tom Waits scenes were the high points but it's got good vibes all around

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Steve Yun posted:

So I just watched Atlanta Season 3 episode 6 (White Fashion)

Holy poo poo is the rest of the show this good

The Modern Leper posted:

The first two seasons of Atlanta are some of the best television of the 21st century.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

Doing a breezy teen summer hangout comedy immediately after Phantom Thread makes it even better imho

The Bradley Cooper and Sean Penn/Tom Waits scenes were the high points but it's got good vibes all around

Yeah my wife and I had a few drinks then saw it in the theatre and it was just a good time. Probably won't get a rewatch like TWBB or The Master but I still very much enjoyed it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Can anybody explain to me why Tully (which I found pretty charming, and I normally find Reitman/Cody stuff to be obnoxious white people poo poo) had an Animal Wrangler (named Jamie Kennedy) and an Animal Coordinator?? Did I miss a scene??? Does Ron Livingston enter periods of musth and need to get hit with elephant tranquilizers every couple hours???

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 17, 2022

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1559676051046801408

It’s stupid not to at this point.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Man they blew out the Blu-ray+3D for like $5 a couple years ago. Are people sleeping on this movie?

Loved watching Maw maw’s face explode in 3D on my PlayStation VR

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Man they blew out the Blu-ray+3D for like $5 a couple years ago. Are people sleeping on this movie?

Loved watching Maw maw’s face explode in 3D on my PlayStation VR

I've got an old 27" 3D monitor hooked up to a ps3 that is pretty much only being kept around for Dredd 3D.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Can anybody explain to me why Tully (which I found pretty charming, and I normally find Reitman/Cody stuff to be obnoxious white people poo poo) had an Animal Wrangler (named Jamie Kennedy) and an Animal Coordinator?? Did I miss a scene??? Does Ron Livingston enter periods of musth and need to get hit with elephant tranquilizers every couple hours???

I haven't seen that movie for a while so can't recall if there are any animals in it, but it might be that some animal scenes were shot but cut. Animal wrangler is just someone that comes with ANY onscreen animal to a shoot, could be an elephant, could be a dog or cat, could just be ducks in a pond or insects.

Animal coordinator is often someone from a central agency who is responsible for sourcing the animals and their handlers, who are usually independent of the agency. Hence the two different credits.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
6 episodes deep into The Sandman and I've got fairly mixed feelings. Loose thoughts:

* Dream is largely acted and visualised fine. I mean, he looks a lot of the time like he's cosplaying The Cure, but then so did the original.

* It takes a while to get going. There's maybe 3 episodes of worldbuilding and infodumping and solving things with mystical powers before some more interesting smaller stories start up. The diner episode got a lot of praise but I think the following one about the immortal is much better

* There's a real whiff of Dr Who in the earlier episodes, a mix of overacting and weird hyper-Englishness as mentioned upthread. SFX are passable if cheap in spots

* The various gender / race / whatever swapping that's been done to the story is fine. It's occasionally distracting (if you remember the original well enough), but it doesn't break anything

The original Sandman comics get away with a lot based on looks and vibes and so the TV show has a hard job turning that into a show. Mostly, I think it's a success but not a triumph.

mystes
May 31, 2006

nonathlon posted:

6 episodes deep into The Sandman and I've got fairly mixed feelings. Loose thoughts:

* Dream is largely acted and visualised fine. I mean, he looks a lot of the time like he's cosplaying The Cure, but then so did the original.

* It takes a while to get going. There's maybe 3 episodes of worldbuilding and infodumping and solving things with mystical powers before some more interesting smaller stories start up. The diner episode got a lot of praise but I think the following one about the immortal is much better

* There's a real whiff of Dr Who in the earlier episodes, a mix of overacting and weird hyper-Englishness as mentioned upthread. SFX are passable if cheap in spots

* The various gender / race / whatever swapping that's been done to the story is fine. It's occasionally distracting (if you remember the original well enough), but it doesn't break anything

The original Sandman comics get away with a lot based on looks and vibes and so the TV show has a hard job turning that into a show. Mostly, I think it's a success but not a triumph.
It definitely felt uneven. It's a little unfortunate in that it probably wouldn't have been that hard to improve some of the weaker parts and make the show more solid overall, but at least it was pretty much interesting throughout which puts it way beyond a lot of streaming shows which feel like they aren't even trying and only have 1-2 hours of actual material that they've drawn out into 8+ episodes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

When watching Sandman, all I can think of is Christopher’s description of hell from the Sopranos.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I haven't read any of the source material, but I'm enjoying Sandman quite a bit. It feels sorta similar to the Witcher in that I wouldn't describe it as a great show but it is entertaining and the mythology/world is really cool. For me I definitely like it more than the Witcher.

Hob episode was my favorite, although I haven't quite finished the season.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Besides hating the overexplaining in the first episode (which gets fixed by episode 3) the one thing that bugs me is that it looks like it’s shot like a tv show. They obviously have a budget, there’s tons of CG effects, but something about the camera and lighting setup makes everything look low budget. There are so many good tv shows that are well shot and look like film, so this puzzles me

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Papercut posted:

I haven't read any of the source material, but I'm enjoying Sandman quite a bit. It feels sorta similar to the Witcher in that I wouldn't describe it as a great show but it is entertaining and the mythology/world is really cool. For me I definitely like it more than the Witcher.

Hob episode was my favorite, although I haven't quite finished the season.

Watching it too.

It'll pass the time.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wednesday should just be called More Umbrella Academy: Unfortunate Events Edition
Tim Burton has lost his touch or effort

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The Passion of the Christ employed a muppeteer. Look it up, he's on imdb

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Kermit was crucified next to Jim Caviezel.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

After weeks of watching it off and on I've finally seen all of Community. I watched S1 and like....half of S2 when it was new and then fell off, so it was mostly new to me. I heard it got real bad, which is true, but I was surprised by how much it salvages itself in the end. Here's a quick capsule review:

Season 1: The best the show will ever be. Dan Harmon trying to push the edges out of a what a sitcom is without breaking the narrative entirely. Chevy Chase is funny and not overtly miserable on screen. Ken Jeong is well used. John Oliver is a character for a few episodes! John Michael Higgins is pretty good!

Season 2: Still good, but starting to veer into more gimmick episodes than normal ones. The joke about how they don't know how to use Ken Jeong is funny but the Shirley's baby throughline is feels both too sitcom-wacky but also too old fashioned somehow. A very begrudging paintball sequence seems to warn of dark days ahead...

Season 3: Bad. They go all in on a Doctor Who parody that loses it luster real quickly. There's an extremely involved Ken Jeong plotline about him taking over the school that sucks. All the characters are 500% wackier. For every good episode there's two bad ones.

Season 4: Roughly as bad as the last season, but made worse by everything feeling slightly off because they fired Dan Harmon and the new writers never quite found the right mix of self-loathing and lighthearted. Even more Doctor Who parody. Troy and Abed's lovable antics become an unreliable crutch. The dark timeline hallucination episode is the nadir of the series. Something something Changnesia.

Season 5: Its a weird transitional season (not just because Donald Glover and Chevy Chase leave but because they had to center the plot on why they would still be in college after they graduated last season) but is still a sharp improvement over S3-4. The addition of Jonathan Banks works surprisingly well, possibly because Dan Harmon came back to prove he could do it out of spite. They even bring back John Oliver after several years absent to give him characterization and an ending, which is kind of nice.

Season 6: A more refined S5, with Keith David and Paget Brewster joining (and Yvette Nicole Brown and Jonathan Banks leaving) to make a surprisingly solid new ensemble cast. Hits some high notes I didn't think was possible post-S1, and ends as well as it possibly could. Slightly amazed he pulled it off.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HBO Max is culling its animation lineup https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1560051134185684992

There's a bunch of stuff on this list that was only available on HBO Max so for the time being there's no longer any legal way to watch, say, Infinity Train. poo poo sucks!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I can only find a few places on the internet talking about the muppeteer in The Passion, a guy named Philip Farah. I haven't seen it, but I think there was a raven puppet used in one scene, maybe he did that. His IMDb page only credits him as muppeteer for Passion and producer for Longing for Peace: A Portrait of Don Tonino Bello.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

we own this city is kinda a slog and im probably not going to finish it. good performances tho

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I have watched 2.5 episodes of Sandman and I just can't take it, it just feels like a YA crossover fanfic.

And I managed to make it through all of Shadow and Bone. And all thr the Amazon wheel show. What am I missing?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

we own this city is kinda a slog and im probably not going to finish it. good performances tho

They stuck too closely to the real story imo, it’s more of a re-enactment than an adaptation. Don’t get me wrong, the real story is shocking enough but also lacks the structure and catharsis you usually expect from a narrative. For example, the county detectives they introduce in the first two eps - ostensibly as protagonists - basically disappear from the show entirely after the case goes federal. The timeline stuff was also way too detailed (prefacing scenes with specific dates and jumping all over) and there’s no tension in the actual investigation of Jenkins because the crooked cops are terrible at concealing their crimes and instantly flip.

Just too austere imo. Didn’t even have the signature end of season montage that I’ve come to expect from Simon shows.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

For sure, but I watched it all because I just love Jon Bernthal as a crooked cop. I don't know if you really miss anything if you fast forward through the parts that he isn't in. It's a bunch of lawyers and officials rehashing the same conversation of 'can you believe how corrupt these Baltimore cops are?!'; ya, we all watched the news/The Wire, we get it.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

After weeks of watching it off and on I've finally seen all of Community. I watched S1 and like....half of S2 when it was new and then fell off, so it was mostly new to me. I heard it got real bad, which is true, but I was surprised by how much it salvages itself in the end. Here's a quick capsule review:

Season 1: The best the show will ever be. Dan Harmon trying to push the edges out of a what a sitcom is without breaking the narrative entirely. Chevy Chase is funny and not overtly miserable on screen. Ken Jeong is well used. John Oliver is a character for a few episodes! John Michael Higgins is pretty good!

Season 2: Still good, but starting to veer into more gimmick episodes than normal ones. The joke about how they don't know how to use Ken Jeong is funny but the Shirley's baby throughline is feels both too sitcom-wacky but also too old fashioned somehow. A very begrudging paintball sequence seems to warn of dark days ahead...

Season 3: Bad. They go all in on a Doctor Who parody that loses it luster real quickly. There's an extremely involved Ken Jeong plotline about him taking over the school that sucks. All the characters are 500% wackier. For every good episode there's two bad ones.

Season 4: Roughly as bad as the last season, but made worse by everything feeling slightly off because they fired Dan Harmon and the new writers never quite found the right mix of self-loathing and lighthearted. Even more Doctor Who parody. Troy and Abed's lovable antics become an unreliable crutch. The dark timeline hallucination episode is the nadir of the series. Something something Changnesia.

Season 5: Its a weird transitional season (not just because Donald Glover and Chevy Chase leave but because they had to center the plot on why they would still be in college after they graduated last season) but is still a sharp improvement over S3-4. The addition of Jonathan Banks works surprisingly well, possibly because Dan Harmon came back to prove he could do it out of spite. They even bring back John Oliver after several years absent to give him characterization and an ending, which is kind of nice.

Season 6: A more refined S5, with Keith David and Paget Brewster joining (and Yvette Nicole Brown and Jonathan Banks leaving) to make a surprisingly solid new ensemble cast. Hits some high notes I didn't think was possible post-S1, and ends as well as it possibly could. Slightly amazed he pulled it off.

Ready for that movie. I was hoping for some momentum after the cast did that YouTube script reading together early COVID. I've not given up hope.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

A MIRACLE posted:

I loved it and am fully prepared to be angry when Bernthal does not get an Emmy nom but they could have cut everything with the federal prosecutors and the consent decree and it would have been a lot better. It really didn't feel like those scenes fit the show at all and almost seemed like they were shot for a different show

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I finally finished we own this city earlier this week and I feel the same. Jon Bernthal is just insanely good as a crooked cop. It’s certainly eye opening to the extent of corruption in the Baltimore PD but tbh it’s nothing new or particularly special.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm definitely interested in Bernthal's next role....the lead in a tv reboot/sequel to American Gigolo for Showtime.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

I loved it and am fully prepared to be angry when Bernthal does not get an Emmy nom but they could have cut everything with the federal prosecutors and the consent decree and it would have been a lot better. It really didn't feel like those scenes fit the show at all and almost seemed like they were shot for a different show

Emmy nominations came out a month ago. He didn't get one.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm definitely interested in Bernthal's next role....the lead in a tv reboot/sequel to American Gigolo for Showtime.

there was a half second where I confused American Gigolo with Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo and was incredibly excited for Jon Bernthal in the Deuce reboot

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

live with fruit posted:

Emmy nominations came out a month ago. He didn't get one.

God dammit

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Bananaquiter posted:

I have watched 2.5 episodes of Sandman and I just can't take it, it just feels like a YA crossover fanfic.

And I managed to make it through all of Shadow and Bone. And all thr the Amazon wheel show. What am I missing?

This is an accepted problem with the comics, too. The first arc is generally regarded as very weak and even heavier on the crossover nonsense - Dream runs into Mister Miracle and the Martian Manhunter. The issue immediately after he finishes his big heroic quest, where he meets his sister, is an agreed upon turning point for the book.

I'm only 3 episodes in and only sorta feeling it, but I'm certainly going to give it until that episode.

I will say they should have gotten Keanu back to play Constantine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Boxman posted:

This is an accepted problem with the comics, too. The first arc is generally regarded as very weak and even heavier on the crossover nonsense - Dream runs into Mister Miracle and the Martian Manhunter. The issue immediately after he finishes his big heroic quest, where he meets his sister, is an agreed upon turning point for the book.

I'm only 3 episodes in and only sorta feeling it, but I'm certainly going to give it until that episode.

Episodes 4 and 5 are a big improvement over 1-3, the beginning is terrible because of overexplaining

I didn’t even care much for doll house in the comics, so the second half of season 1 is just alright, mostly lifted up by the great one-off episodes, and im hoping the second half of season 2 will be where it hits its stride. The real juicy stuff starts in volume 4. Sandman is at his best dealing with gods and kings and Forrest gumping through history

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 19, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

Boxman posted:

I thought the Johanna Constantine and immortal guy episodes were the best of the show so I don't think I would have necessarily preferred Keanu

I would probably watch a Johanna Constantine spinoff show if they made it, too

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 19, 2022

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Give me more of whatever made She-Hulk real dang good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
watched Inside Llewyn Davis for the 5th or 6th time and yeah, i'm just gonna officially declare it my favorite Coen Bros movie. man. it is just so drat great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

precision posted:

watched Inside Llewyn Davis for the 5th or 6th time and yeah, i'm just gonna officially declare it my favorite Coen Bros movie. man. it is just so drat great

Puh-puh-please Mr Kennedy, I dont wanna go (please dont shoot me into outer space)