Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

2house2fly posted:

I'm afraid theose helpful posts are wasted on that guy, who posts that same question every month or so as a bit

Yeah, he's not looking for an answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Maybe he's just lonely? There's one thousand three hundred and fifteen pages in this thread, we can spare a bit'a one to cheer him up.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yeah I'm still just 70% into the story but I'm pretty impressed by the writing so far. Jackie's death (I wasn't actually spoiled on this) and more recently the Peralez questline were standouts in my mind; you can tell there's care put into the storytelling in general.

I wasn't playing back on release so I don't know the full extent of the game's bugginess back then, but the bugs I still experience have been minor and mildly annoying at best.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just indirectly related to this game, but DLSS is some serious magic nonsense. Cyberpunk was the first game I had played with it (or at least a good implementation of it), and it allowed me to get over 60fps at 4k with most things (except for ray-tracing) maxed out. Which I didn't expect at all; I was expecting to need to go down to 1440p for that. I recently got the PC version of God of War, and I can play that at 120fps in 4k with DLSS. Completely bonkers. The combination of 4k and 120fps is probably the biggest general improvement in performance/visuals I can remember since the upgrade to 1080p way back when.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I couldn't make DLSS worthwhile on my 2080, when new hardware lands I'll probably pick 4070 or something like that just for the new architecture stuff.
Still even without DLSS and RT game looks amazing. I've played a bit with mobile 3080 and it was sweeet.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
those without rtx cards should check out cyberfsr

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

site posted:

Yeah it was really impressive how much smoother it ran at high settings on a 1070. Only trouble was there was a lot of ghosting on animations, which included blinking, so it made things look kind of eerie

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

site posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for this

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

alex314 posted:

I couldn't make DLSS worthwhile on my 2080, when new hardware lands I'll probably pick 4070 or something like that just for the new architecture stuff.
Still even without DLSS and RT game looks amazing. I've played a bit with mobile 3080 and it was sweeet.

For some reason DLSS has worked far better on my 3000-series card than it did on my 2000-series one (more than you'd expect from just the difference in performance between the cards).

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

site posted:

This.. whole.. time..

:negative:

It's now possible to get playable framerates and hear the banging soundtrack without sitting next to a jet engine desktop.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

For some reason DLSS has worked far better on my 3000-series card than it did on my 2000-series one (more than you'd expect from just the difference in performance between the cards).

Yeah, that what I was trying to say in my usual way roundabout way.
I have desktop 2080 and laptop 3080, they are roughly compatible in performance. In most games I don't see noticeable difference, but in CP2077 with RT it's massive.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
I just got this game and am still in the intro bit (part way through The Heist). It does seem pretty good, but I really have no idea about what my character build should be (if it even matters) and how to approach combat (headshots? charge in with shotguns? swords?). Any tips?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tincans posted:

This.. whole.. time..

It's now possible to get playable framerates and hear the banging soundtrack without sitting next to a jet engine desktop.

I mean, I don't want to overpromise anything. it's not a miracle worker and the game still wants a monster pc, but it helps

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

XenoCrab posted:

I just got this game and am still in the intro bit (part way through The Heist). It does seem pretty good, but I really have no idea about what my character build should be (if it even matters) and how to approach combat (headshots? charge in with shotguns? swords?). Any tips?

Whatever feels fun, you can usually just loosely spec out towards that playstyle and be successful.

My first run when it first came out was a quickhacker with tech weapons (shooting through walls after blinding everyone and giving them the techno-pukes). Focused on intelligence and tech if I recall correctly. The next run was a headshotting hand cannon bullet time build, which was totally different and yet still worked. Focused instead on reflexes and cool? mostly.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Edit: this whole post assumes you want to hit level 50 and explains what you can do with the amount of points that will give you to work with. Also is coming from a console/no mods perspective.

I'm on playthrough number 6 so I've planned out attribute spreads from the get-go at this point. Right now I'm going 20,20,18,7,6

Maxing out two skills (currently going cool and reflex for throwing knives because I am a masochist but it's still fun)

Going 18 in technical ability so I can craft legendary iconics at endgame

7 in body for out of combat regeneration to 100%, and then usually mod gorilla arms for brute forcing doors

6 in int, mostly just for being able to do a decent amount of int check access points for datamine income.

This particular spread with body lets you finish the boxing quest lines without being a dedicated body build, really just a couple points in stun chance on street brawler works great.

Anyway, maxing two attributes to be able to max the associated skills and get their highest perks at the far edges of the screen, 18 tech for crafting, 7, 6 are meant to round you out so you can still do a lot of skill checks and get some quality of life perks. You can adjust the numbers or skills as you see fit.

Figuring this all out on previous playthroughs, I now just yolo the start of the game and get every attribute to 6 before deciding what I'm going to commit to.

For a recommendation: seconding always using cool and cold blood, when stealth fails you have a lot of guys to mow through, cold blood is your friend. Get one point in cold blood ASAP so you can gain exp in it. At first it's just Movement speed but as you spec into more of it, it just gets better. At 16 cool you get it up to 5 stacks that fall off once at a time, last twice as long, and you have a 50% chance of gaining charges on any crit. Even int quickhackers can eventually spec into quickhacks being able to crit, so that epic contagion can immediately max out your cold blood alone!

So yeah, do what you want early on, decide what you want to max out, and cold blood owns. Gl hf

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 17, 2022

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Tincans posted:

This.. whole.. time..

The mod was uploaded June of this year. Not that terribly long honestly.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

XenoCrab posted:

It extremely doesn't matter, any build will make your character cool and good. They're all overpowered and fun. Pretend you're playing Deus Ex and sneak around knocking people out! Become a techno-mage! Get the Widowmaker and shoot everyone through walls! Find a smartgun and wildly spray bullets everywhere because they aim themselves! Build 50000 grenades and spam them at everyone!

Pretty much just decide what you think will be fun and go with it. You don't even necessarily need the corresponding skills to fool around with weapons effectively, and you'll gain perk points that you can spend on your specialization if you mess around with the weapons that you don't regularly use. Try them all out, save the points, then make a decision after you've gotten a sense for how it all feels.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

XenoCrab posted:

Do whatever is fun for you: minmaxing is pointless as every potential build will be broken-OP by level 30ish!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

First playthrough was stealth pistol crit headshot build and V might as well been firing depleted uranium from a railgun.

While also hacking everyone up to their optics with my geocities sstrunks.rv daemon.

play on the hardest difficulty and tune down from there

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Aug 18, 2022

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Pure melee felt pretty weak at the start until I got a few of the higher level perks and a basic sandevistan. Then my character instantly turned into an anime character and I was moving at mach speed through groups of enemies chopping them to pieces before they could even react. Really, any build is going to work. Focus on one maxing stat at first (body for shotguns/blunt weapons, reflex for guns/swords, intelligence for hacking) and then move onto another. Or do something else, that might work too.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I stupidly played too conservatively at first - had a tech-focused build with a lot put into quickhacks/breach protocol and made quests/gigs take a lot longer than they should have by trying to take out every enemy with stealth, before realizing that I could just quickly destroy everyone from afar with contagion/short circuit/system reset and mop up the rest with my guns

Also just remembered one nitpick: the tech attribute has a skill tree that powers up tech weapons, but there's no equivalent (under the intelligence tree, maybe) for smart weapons. Would've been nice to have a skill tree that increased their damage or improved their homing ability or something

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm glad that basically any build will work and having info about specific builds is helpful since I don't feel like the game gives a lot of guidance for picking particular stats or perks (also I'm a dum-dum when it comes to figuring out character builds).

curried lamb of God posted:

I stupidly played too conservatively at first - had a tech-focused build with a lot put into quickhacks/breach protocol and made quests/gigs take a lot longer than they should have by trying to take out every enemy with stealth, before realizing that I could just quickly destroy everyone from afar with contagion/short circuit/system reset and mop up the rest with my guns

This is also helpful, since from the first couple hours it was clear that being boring and using a combination of stealth takedowns and cover is a valid way to play, but would prefer a "cooler" playstyle and wasn't getting a lot of direction about what was possible.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

XenoCrab posted:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm glad that basically any build will work and having info about specific builds is helpful since I don't feel like the game gives a lot of guidance for picking particular stats or perks (also I'm a dum-dum when it comes to figuring out character builds).

This is also helpful, since from the first couple hours it was clear that being boring and using a combination of stealth takedowns and cover is a valid way to play, but would prefer a "cooler" playstyle and wasn't getting a lot of direction about what was possible.

because stealth gives instant kills in the first act, yeah sneaking around snapping everyone's necks is a viable way to play if you're a hacker (wizard) or a rogue character of some kind, but this will drop off later in the game as you need more body stat to successfully grapple enemies

my advice is to pick what two weapons you think are coolest or most fun, and build towards those. pure melee is reflexes and cool, with some body. shotguns is body and reflexes, with some cool. hacker-wizard is intelligence and cool, with some tech. each attribute maxes out at 20 points, and by the time you hit level cap you will be able to max two attributes, substantially increase a third, and have a few points left over for your dump stats if you like. perks in each attribute depend on the level of that attribute, so keep in mind that you'll want to push attribute stats higher for your preferred playstyle

you also want to consider the following:

guns come in three flavors, power, tech, and smart. power uses a ricochet mechanic which is kinda cool i guess but meh. tech lets you shoot through walls. smart is auto aim. if you're doing a guns playthrough, you'll probably want to specialize a bit in one of these but you can also just mix and match as you please, power and smart are exclusive due to the cyberware you need to make either one work

your special cyberware comes in three flavors, cyberdeck, sandevistan, and berserk. cyberdeck is necessary for spellcasting. sandevistan is bullet time. berserk is hulk strength. pick one depending on if you want to be a mage, an agile warrior, or a brute beatdown warrior. you can swap these out whenever at a cyberdoc but your high level mage build won't have the body strength to really make berserk sing, and so on

if you're playing on a lower difficulty level you can do as you please, the game is easy. min-maxing is only required for the higher difficulties, and even then its only necessary to reach the point of OP nothing can stop you sooner. i'm playing a sneak mage on very hard and i cleaned out watson entirely before doing the heist, after i got through about 2/3 of all the content in watson i went from being a tiny weak neck-snapper of a mage to someone who could get an instant kill about 75% of the time with short circuit, and now shorly after the heist i have all epic level quickhacks and a very good cyberdeck and anyone i look at dies

something else to consider early - get a point of cold blood, and pick up the body health regen perk as well as the extra loot from hacking terminals daemon. all of these provide growing bonuses through the game, so better to get them early if possible. especially if you're a hackermage, stealing good quickhack components from terminals means you'll have a fat source of extra money as well as being able to craft the best spells the moment you unlock the next level spellcrafting perk

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Also note that the non-lethal mechanic is broken, which is relevant for Cyberpsychos and a side quest you'll get in Northside - You have to rescue a buddhist monk who was kidnapped by Animals, and his brother implores you to not use violence. I took down every enemy non-lethally and still got condemned after the mission for using violence. Also used the weapon mod that makes them non-lethal to take on the cyberpsychos and still accidentally killed my first, although weirdly the Suicide quickhack keeps them alive.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if you do even 1hp of damage to someone after they "fall unconscious" they die, this means that DOT stuff can "kill" enemies in between when they start to fall and when they hit the ground

shooting someone directly in the head with a high powered rifle, but you've got your magic non-violent contact lens on - not a fatality
tripping over them on the ground, bruising them gently - fatality

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
You can also inflict damage by jumping on someone if you have certain cyberware equipped IIRC, and if you drop a body from too high they will die as well. For a while bumping into civilians would still inflict 0 point crit damage and this would trigger Legendary Short Circuit’s passive ability and kill the civilian, which led to lots of people getting chased by police for doing nothing obvious.

There’s so many cross-interacting systems with subtle interactions it’s a wonder any of it ever worked. It’s about as complex to build as an MMO in many ways.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Also note that the non-lethal mechanic is broken, which is relevant for Cyberpsychos and a side quest you'll get in Northside - You have to rescue a buddhist monk who was kidnapped by Animals, and his brother implores you to not use violence. I took down every enemy non-lethally and still got condemned after the mission for using violence. Also used the weapon mod that makes them non-lethal to take on the cyberpsychos and still accidentally killed my first, although weirdly the Suicide quickhack keeps them alive.

a good thing to note with going nonlethal (and i have posted about it before) is that dumping a body anywhere counts as killing that person. i think this only matters for two missions but it is very frustrating if you don’t get what’s going on

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Also note that the non-lethal mechanic is broken, which is relevant for Cyberpsychos and a side quest you'll get in Northside - You have to rescue a buddhist monk who was kidnapped by Animals, and his brother implores you to not use violence. I took down every enemy non-lethally and still got condemned after the mission for using violence.

I think I know why this happens. It happened to me the first time I did it, and it was because some enemies in nearby areas - but not in what appears to be the little quest area itself - count towards the quest, and killing them will make you fail the non-violence part (though this doesn't really have any impact other than the monk's dialogue, as far as I can tell).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

2house2fly posted:

I'm afraid theose helpful posts are wasted on that guy, who posts that same question every month or so as a bit

I didn't mind because I wanted an excuse to post my final feelings about it, and then I clicked on that dude's ? to see his previous posts and he mentioned that he was an even-better cyberpunk game called Gamedec so now I'm playing Gamedec. Pretty interesting detective RPG, isometric point-and-click-and-talk like Disco Elysium. Anyone else try this? I just finished the first case and it seems cool, like I'm actually doing detective work and putting the pieces together.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Phenotype posted:

I didn't mind because I wanted an excuse to post my final feelings about it, and then I clicked on that dude's ? to see his previous posts and he mentioned that he was an even-better cyberpunk game called Gamedec so now I'm playing Gamedec. Pretty interesting detective RPG, isometric point-and-click-and-talk like Disco Elysium. Anyone else try this? I just finished the first case and it seems cool, like I'm actually doing detective work and putting the pieces together.

First thing I was reminded of was Divinity: Original Sin. On the wishlist it goes!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Ytlaya posted:

I think I know why this happens. It happened to me the first time I did it, and it was because some enemies in nearby areas - but not in what appears to be the little quest area itself - count towards the quest, and killing them will make you fail the non-violence part (though this doesn't really have any impact other than the monk's dialogue, as far as I can tell).
The monk's dialogue opens up more dialogue I believe about V's issues with the Relic. It's also possible the meditation quest line is not opened up but I haven't failed that non-lethal optional part so far in any play through to find out. Wish there was a simple trigger that would let people know if they killed someone the instant their action counted as it. Pissed me off tremendously in Deus Ex: HR when I was going around trying to avoid detection, kills, etc. and it turns out we're still doing these things asynchronously and batched like body sweeps for body detection going back to the Thief era of first person sneakers and it sorta continues now to Cyberpunk 2077 in 2020 of all dang years.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Phenotype posted:

Gamedec has a great start, completely flubs it and goes into predicable, tropey territory.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Play Citizen Sleeper.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Started playing again recently and forgot that I was supposed to keep cyberpsychos alive. Can I assume the game keeps generating them so I can make up for the ones I killed?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Roman posted:

Started playing again recently and forgot that I was supposed to keep cyberpsychos alive. Can I assume the game keeps generating them so I can make up for the ones I killed?

no but it really doesn't matter. you get a very token reward from regina for non-lethally dealing with every psycho its like a handful or purple/orange clothes

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

DropTheAnvil posted:

Gamedec has a great start, completely flubs it and goes into predicable, tropey territory.

I hope not. I'm partway through the third case now and it's been great so far, but I saw a Steam review that says it changes up for the worse halfway through. :ohdear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Pretty sure you have to do that Monk quest without violence: you can’t attack or incapacitate anyone. Just sneak in, grab the guy, and sneak out.

I might be misremember another mission, though. :ohdear:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
nope, i did it the other day and choked the hell out of everyone, still got a thank you for no bloodshed

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah i do that quest pretty early whenever i start a playthrough, so i've done it a good few times now and never had it bug out. get in, choke out like five dudes, done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I spammed Short Circuit through walls on non-lethal and even undetected quests and only once had an issue with someone "dying." I guess they must have fallen off something or into an environmental hazard.

But creating a hard save before every mission never let me down. Don't ever trust that open-worlds will fire all their quest triggers correctly. Either do a manual save or accept that you're gonna lose a few quests to random jank.