Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

New Game+ quests provide no experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Also I promise you you will be confused about more things in ShB for skipping StB, if that’s what you care about.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

hopeandjoy posted:

Also I promise you you will be confused about more things in ShB for skipping StB, if that’s what you care about.

I'm mostly in it for the raids and such, but it sounds like I might just need to chug through the expansions for the sake of XP. I'll just have to do what I did with ARR and keep a physical notebook of names and roles to keep things straight.

VVV I do a lot of instance running so most of my MSQ are synced down anyways

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 18, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I don't exactly know how exactly you think you'll be able to skip parts of the msq, anyway. I know you can buy boosts but then you wouldn't be stressing about xp?

you'll start recognizing important characters as you progress anyway. when you're getting introduced to everyone at once it can be a bit tight to know who's reoccurring or not, but once they actually do start reoccurring it'll get easier

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, it's fine to not remember who some dude is exactly. I got to the big reveal in Shadowbringers and just went... who? because I had quit for half a year after that and his questline wasn't particularly memorable.

It's fine, story still hit well in the end. You'd lose a hell of a lot more skipping the sheer absurd amounts of story and characters in Stormblood.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if you're thinking about buying skips, I'd wait a couple weeks. the game's anniversary will hit at the end of the month, and an online store sale will probably come with it. I don't know if it'll include the msq/job level skip books, but might as well keep an eye out.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It’s fine to skip if you really just want to get raiding (though in that case you’d want to skip ShB too to get to EW faster). But if you care about the plot enough to make notes to get things straight, you’ll miss a lot more skipping over MSQ.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Zack Ater posted:

Crafted set:

(paging Wrestlepig)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

That crafted set is loving nice. Cant wait for more options for proper heavy armor looks.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Crackerjack posted:

The new beachwear is A++. Keeps me cool while scanning the beaches for signs of Chaos.

What pieces are these?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Vitamean posted:

if you're thinking about buying skips, I'd wait a couple weeks. the game's anniversary will hit at the end of the month, and an online store sale will probably come with it. I don't know if it'll include the msq/job level skip books, but might as well keep an eye out.

Job jump books definitely go on sale and unless they’re very ahead of the curve they’ll basically need both anyways. Rouletting to cover the gap is unlikely to save that much time at that point

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde

CobiWann posted:

What pieces are these?

Let's see...
I have on summer glasses from a previous beach event;
the summer top from this year's;
elemental gauntlets of fending from Eureka, dyed brown;
a pair of ruffled pantaloons, black;
and Scion's traveler's boots, dyed a different brown.
Oh, and moonward paladin weapons. So stylish, them.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So it pains me to admit this, but I could use a little nudge towards mods. Because the game is like 90% playable without them, but my god that 10%.

I want a plugin that'll let me plug in a recipe and tell me where to find the ingredients, and another that will look at my inventory and highlight things (fish) that will never be useful for crafting.

fake e: Garland Tools does the first at the cost of alt-tabbing, which is acceptable. But I could still use the second.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dareon posted:

I want a plugin that'll let me plug in a recipe and tell me where to find the ingredients, and another that will look at my inventory and highlight things (fish) that will never be useful for crafting.

Manual process but you can right-click something and select "Search for Recipes Using this Material" and it will show if it's used.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Dareon posted:

So it pains me to admit this, but I could use a little nudge towards mods. Because the game is like 90% playable without them, but my god that 10%.

fake e: Garland Tools does the first at the cost of alt-tabbing, which is acceptable. But I could still use the second.

hot tip for inventory management: treat the marketboard like an extension of your inventory. sell everything and if you need it later, just buy it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Dareon posted:

it takes some getting used to and can be a bit overwhelming, but teamcraft is very robust and pretty much everything someone might want in terms of the non-combat-related parts of ffxiv is in there somewhere

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Team craft is a godsend in so many different ways. Even just being able to play around with the crafting sim to finesse your current stats into a usable rotation is a major blessing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So is there anyone who knows both Monk and fighting games who can point out any particularly noteworthy references in Monk's kit? I know there are some, but the only ones I know of as someone who isn't super learned in fighting games are that there's both a Power Geyser in the early levels and Buster Wolf in the later levels. I know Elixir Field has roots in fighting game references thanks to it being a Hadoken input in VI, but it's clearly not carrying that in XIV.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 19, 2022

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
My favorite teamcraft thing that I don't often see cited is figuring out what sells well via the currency spending page: https://ffxivteamcraft.com/currency-spending

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Cleretic posted:

So is there anyone who knows both Monk and fighting games who can point out any particularly noteworthy references in Monk's kit? I know there are some, but the only ones I know of as someone who isn't super learned in fighting games are that there's both a Power Geyser in the early levels and Buster Wolf in the later levels. I know Aura Cannon has roots in fighting game references thanks to it being a Hadoken input in VI, but it's clearly not carrying that in XIV.

Not fighting games, but:
Phantom Rush is also an FFVI reference, as Sabin's final blitz. Also Masterful Blitz in general.
Celestial Revolution has the same animation as one of Tifa's limit breaks.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope Monk gets Tifa's dolphin move next.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah I think most of Monk's poo poo is from either Sabin or Tifa. Final Heaven and Meteodrive are both parts of Tifa's Limit Break, Sabin has Phantom Rush and Rising Phoenix, and you could probably argue that Elixir Field is just his Aura Bolt aimed directly at the ground.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's always confused me that Elixir Field is a close burst like Holy or Art of War. As a DPS shouldn't it have at least one ranged attack?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
All the others do, but monk has other things like 6 sided star that is supposed to be used before you’re pushed into range, as well as charging their forbidden chakra.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Yeah I think most of Monk's poo poo is from either Sabin or Tifa. Final Heaven and Meteodrive are both parts of Tifa's Limit Break, Sabin has Phantom Rush and Rising Phoenix, and you could probably argue that Elixir Field is just his Aura Bolt aimed directly at the ground.
The Japanese name for Elixir Field (which in itself is a reference to 丹田, Dantian, a Chinese concept that can literally translate to Elixir Field) is 蒼気砲, or "Azure (Aura) Cannon".
Flint Strike is 爆裂拳, or "Explosive Kick", which could be a reference to Pummel/Raging Fist, since that's 爆裂拳, or "Explosive Fist".

(one other non-fighting game/past game reference anybody with a passing familiarity to Romance of the Three Kingdoms would probably have caught is 桃園結義 ; Brotherhood in English, but "Peach Garden Oath" in Japanese.)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
prelim patch notes

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/27bd3bc448b9208f4bd67a94f37d9ee6a81f96e0

that is a shitload of main story quests

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Welp, no alterations to the Rival Wings (lack of) rewards. Thanks for bringing back the dead PvP mode and not doing the thing that would've revived it, guys.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I've been playing with a controller since ARR but classes are so complex now with branching combos and all sorts of buttons that constantly switching chotbars in combat was really starting to stress me out. Mouse and keyboard with Redirect for mouseover healing is so much nicer, but it feels wrong not having a controller at this point.

It's actually a bit unsettling doing stuff and not having the muscle memory built over years of playing like this. I'm back to overhealing just to be safe

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

```* The Duty Support window now lists duties to be added in future updates. A notification regarding future Duty Support will also be displayed when accessing the dungeon entrance.

Allied NPCs in Duty Support will now speak at certain points in the following duties:
Sastasha
The Tam-Tara Deepcroft
Copperbell Mines
The Bowl of Embers
The Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak
Haukke Manor
Brayflox's Longstop
The Navel
The Stone Vigil
The Howling Eye
Castrum Meridianum
The Praetorium
The Porta Decumana

Allied NPCs that were not selected to accompany players into the duty will no longer appear after completing the instance.
Interesting, though now I'll have to run more duty supports for post dungeon banter I guess?

There's also a quick note that solo duties in 4.x are getting portraits to go with dialogue, and they'll be updating earlier patches later on.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Robo Reagan posted:

Man, I've been playing with a controller since ARR but classes are so complex now with branching combos and all sorts of buttons that constantly switching chotbars in combat was really starting to stress me out. Mouse and keyboard with Redirect for mouseover healing is so much nicer, but it feels wrong not having a controller at this point.

It's actually a bit unsettling doing stuff and not having the muscle memory built over years of playing like this. I'm back to overhealing just to be safe

Did you. Not know about expanded cross hotbar and WXHB. You don’t have to manually cycle through your cross hotbars.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hopeandjoy posted:

Did you. Not know about expanded cross hotbar and WXHB. You don’t have to manually cycle through your cross hotbars.

Yes I knew about them and used them. It was bad phrasing

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Another round of removing gender restrictions.

quote:

Far Eastern Maiden's Hat
Far Eastern Maiden's Tunic
Far Eastern Maiden's Armband
Far Eastern Maiden's Bottoms
Far Eastern Maiden's Boots
Eastern Socialite's Hat
Eastern Socialite's Cheongsam
Eastern Socialite's Gloves
Eastern Socialite's Skirt
Eastern Socialite's Boots
Far Eastern Officer's Hat
Far Eastern Officer's Robe
Far Eastern Officer's Armband
Far Eastern Officer's Bottoms
Far Eastern Officer's Boots
Mun'gaek Hat
Mun'gaek Uibok
Mun'gaek Cuffs
Mun'gaek Trousers
Mun'gaek Boots

They're doubling the number of Crafters' and Gatherers' Scrips you can carry, to 4,000.

The Steam Overlay will now work with FFXIV. You might want to turn it off, change it's keybinding to call up or rebind Shift+Tab in FFXIV.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

HP restoration over time will no longer generate enmity with each tick of healing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Notes confirm what everyone was theorising, the Endwalker trial series is part of the MSQ

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

lmao

Also really excited for this

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/fabledtactician/status/1560586533261848577?s=21&t=WgyD6YmtrxYtFk19AsX4MQ

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hang on isn't that what makes fast leveling BLU with someone in a high level zone possible?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Hang on isn't that what makes fast leveling BLU with someone in a high level zone possible?

As I just did it and helped my partner do it all you need is an unpartied friend. Vomit fish at target, friend blows it up before it punches you, do as fast as you two can without leashing.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I could be mistaken, but BLU's only ability that gives a HoT is level 70. As Doomykins said you just use a ranged attack to tag and your buddy kills the mob.

Also, when BLU level cap raise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doomykins posted:

As I just did it and helped my partner do it all you need is an unpartied friend. Vomit fish at target, friend blows it up before it punches you, do as fast as you two can without leashing.

Thanks for the info! Another BLU question, does Diamondback happen naturally during the trial or is do I need to hold off a bit for the cast to show up?

Maguoob posted:

I could be mistaken, but BLU's only ability that gives a HoT is level 70. As Doomykins said you just use a ranged attack to tag and your buddy kills the mob.

Also, when BLU level cap raise?

IIRC there's post here explaining the fast leveling process and it required a healer with a HoT.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 19, 2022