Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Crichton could be godawful but all his imitators and followers are even worse. Can't read a goddamn thriller nowadays without the capital-H Heroes being Spec Ops Delta Tier One Operators who are sad because they killed some folks, but maybe they can learn to live again with the help of a fiery Italian/Latina woman. Tried to read a goddamn bigfoot novel and the prologue was that Bigfoot tried to save Anastasia Romanov from the communists, and then in the modern day those goddamn evil Russians were at it again and only a black budget CIA squad can save the world. Everything has to be jammed into this stupid framework.

9/11 really did break so many old peoples brains

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Le Guin stans stay winning

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

a fatguy baldspot posted:

what about Nabokov?? guy is clearly a pedophile

i'm guessing she hasn't read him.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Famous racist, Sherman Alexie.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im gonna cancel nabokov for beign into butterflies, thats freaky

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

How the hell is Heinlein not on that lol

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

massively underselling rudyard kipling's racism there

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

I guess Orson Scott Card isn't all bad.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Weka posted:

lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Epic High Five posted:

How the hell is Heinlein not on that lol

nothing in "to sail beyond the sunset" is at all problematic

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Weka posted:

lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Crichton could be godawful but all his imitators and followers are even worse. Can't read a goddamn thriller nowadays without the capital-H Heroes being Spec Ops Delta Tier One Operators who are sad because they killed some folks, but maybe they can learn to live again with the help of a fiery Italian/Latina woman. Tried to read a goddamn bigfoot novel and the prologue was that Bigfoot tried to save Anastasia Romanov from the communists, and then in the modern day those goddamn evil Russians were at it again and only a black budget CIA squad can save the world. Everything has to be jammed into this stupid framework.

What book is that please.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the bible

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Kitfox88 posted:

What book is that please.

Primeval by David Golemon, part of the Event Group series where cool spooks explore poorly written versions of modern myths like Loch Ness and Atlantis. It's terrible.

edit: I was wrong, it's

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
deleted. did they already get outed as a Du Pont / Siemens / IG Farben intern?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/GoodDogGamer/status/1560391290155544576?t=2WGu1qKfpaJnJRonPBVDFA&s=19

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

He was on a roll in the early 90s with that and Disclosure, the story about what if a man got sexually harassed huh, did that just blow your mind?

She doesn't give you a boner?

Because, you know,
l definitely have lift-off.

What about you? You got a woody?

She's very nice.

-l'll tell you what the company line is.
-Don't do that.

You have a sexual urge every 20 minutes.
lt's a physiological certainty.

lt's hard-wired into your limbic brain.

You can't fight it.
Why would you want to? Live a little.

Ten years from now,
you'll need a forklift to get a hard-on.

-Ha-ha-ha. l'll call you.
-l'm counting the minutes.

[ALL LAUGHlNG]

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

what did they do

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

lobster shirt posted:

what did they do

I thought they did away with mandatory racial stat bonus/penalties but it looks like they're back?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
"Cancelling" Authors from the past has to be the most tedious poo poo. I mean honestly giving the slightest poo poo about the author of a work is already pretty sus. The work stands on it's own or it doesn't.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

he’s right

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lobster shirt posted:

what did they do

realized what orcs are a stand-in for

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

lobster shirt posted:

what did they do

Made Russians a playable race.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

lobster shirt posted:

nothing in "to sail beyond the sunset" is at all problematic

And Farnham's Freehold is well before its time in its treatment of race in a post-apocalyptic future.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And Farnham's Freehold is well before its time in its treatment of race in a post-apocalyptic future.

Sixth Column is a goddamn nightmare of racism, but it seems like it never gets talked about when discussing Heinlein.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

lmao

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Primeval by David Golemon, part of the Event Group series where cool spooks explore poorly written versions of modern myths like Loch Ness and Atlantis. It's terrible.

edit: I was wrong, it's

lmao

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I choose burger

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

He was on a roll in the early 90s with that and Disclosure, the story about what if a man got sexually harassed huh, did that just blow your mind? I don't remember Airframe enough to say if it was amusingly bad or just boring.

Airframe has a weird scene where the main character has bruises from falling facefirst into a safety net, but some makeup artist is insistent that she was obviously beaten by her husband and is lying to protect him. So that's three nineties Crichton books with a man wrongly accused of gendered violence.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Chamale posted:

Airframe has a weird scene where the main character has bruises from falling facefirst into a safety net, but some makeup artist is insistent that she was obviously beaten by her husband and is lying to protect him. So that's three nineties Crichton books with a man wrongly accused of gendered violence.

guy had 5 wives. who knows why though. maybe he just liked finding a new bar a lot.

quote:

Joan Radam (m. 1965; div. 1970)​
Kathy St. Johns (m. 1978; div. 1980)​
Suzanne Childs (m. 1981; div. 1983)​
Anne-Marie Martin (m. 1987; div. 2003)​
Sherri Alexander (m. 2005)​

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

i do not remember a graphic depiction of sexual assault in the dresden files though, what's the deal with that. it has been a while since i read them though.

The scene with his vampire ex reasonably falls in that category. Also, pretty much everything involving any of the Raiths.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I read Jurassic Park and The Lost World when I was a kid because I was obsessed with dinosaurs, I think the only other Crichton I read was Congo which is unbelievably dumb but I thought it was cool as hell when I was like 13

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
my favourite Crichton is his 2004 book State of Fear in which global warming is fake and made up by eco-terrorists who stage fake natural disasters to kill millions of people and Crichton includes footnotes and an angry essay where he explains that no this isn't just a fiction book he really believes that climate change is comparable to eugenics and Lysenkoism, and also the book's climax takes place on a Pacific island where cannibals eat one of the environmentalist characters

e: also, this:

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
ever read Travels

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

DirtyRobot posted:

deleted. did they already get outed as a Du Pont / Siemens / IG Farben intern?

e: oh that's the list of ideologically disapproved books/authors

https://twitter.com/the_binp/status/1560394938906542081

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

vyelkin posted:

my favourite Crichton is his 2004 book State of Fear in which global warming is fake and made up by eco-terrorists who stage fake natural disasters to kill millions of people and Crichton includes footnotes and an angry essay where he explains that no this isn't just a fiction book he really believes that climate change is comparable to eugenics and Lysenkoism, and also the book's climax takes place on a Pacific island where cannibals eat one of the environmentalist characters

e: also, this:

This was my favorite hate read of Michael Crichton because its just so aggressively stupid lol.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

i flunked out posted:

This was my favorite hate read of Michael Crichton because its just so aggressively stupid lol.

He was a piece of poo poo but the guy could post

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Sixth Column is a goddamn nightmare of racism, but it seems like it never gets talked about when discussing Heinlein.
The standard excuse from Heinleinites is "It was Campbell's racist idea, Heinlein just executed."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/j_arthur_bloom/status/1561006563422347266?t=-DOw_msK7Tv5naZYbHNaag&s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Uh wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Marx is as kindly and wholesome as Santa Claus. A good tweet