Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which August 16th release are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Blossom Tales 2: The Minotaur Prince [PC, Switch] – August 16 12 21.82%
Rollerdrome [PC, PS5, PS4] – August 16 31 56.36%
Tribes of Midgard [XSX, XBO, Switch] – August 16 5 9.09%
Way of the Hunter [PC, PS5, XSX] – August 16 7 12.73%
Total: 55 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

Sounds pretty cozy to me. Why are you such a rush to collect bear asses?

op if ur going to put reams of cutscenes and text in a game it better be engaging and not 95% padding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Stux posted:

op if ur going to put reams of cutscenes and text in a game it better be engaging and not 95% padding.

i have good news about ffxiv then

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i would rather play final fantasy 6 a good game instead

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
for the record i don't actually recommend xiv, but only because it's way too long if you're trying to go through it now in 2022, as opposed to playing each expansion as it comes out over a decade

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

i have good news about ffxiv then

theres like 500 ancillary quests where nothing interesting happens and they still have the weird robot cutscenes where everyone does mmo emotes at each other for 10 minutes

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

for the record i don't actually recommend xiv, but only because it's way too long if you're trying to go through it now in 2022, as opposed to playing each expansion as it comes out over a decade

I wouldn't go as far as to recommend people don't try it, since plenty of new players still enjoy the game, but yeah it's definitely a very different experience going through all the expansions and patches at once instead of a little bit every few months or so.

Zinkraptor fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 18, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm not a fan of FFXIV, and a large part of that is even though there were some very enjoyable and powerful moments they were so far between each other that I realized after hundreds of hours that I wasn't enjoying much of what I was doing. When I reached out for advice, it was just about how certain quests had great story lines, and I should play around more in the area I was in, but there's no indicator where the "good" quests are, and even more so, other goons were saying to just power through, because the later expansions were so good. When I finished Heavensward, even though I had a ton of fun, I also realized I had been on a treadmill racing towards an end that was never coming. Maybe if I had bought the story skip to Heavensward it would have been better, but I don't think so.

The only part of the game I really enjoyed were the dungeons, but in order to unlock them I had to sit through large swathes of cutscenes that could have been cut down to maybe half or even a quarter of what they were. For every cool moment, there were a dozen dull ones, and I realized that what kept me playing were the other people. Like posting live reactions to things happening in game, or looking at cool memes, or shooting the poo poo in guild chat. The game itself had largely just become an engine for social media, because I didn't really want to play it.

So after about 200 hours I stopped. I don't know if I'd recommend it or not, because on the one hand, I had about 200 hours of fun. I met some very nice people, I laughed, I cried, and I had some great conversations, but on the other hand the minute to minute moments of the game were excruciatingly dull, and the parts where the story "really take off," were really not as bombastic and rocket boosting as the game seemed to want it to be.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Idk if longer delays between story arcs would suddenly improve things, they seem married to this kind of really slow and imo awkward storytelling

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I played ARR and most of the subsequent pre-expansion patch content last year and enjoyed it, but got kind of burned out and left it there. It was worth it and fun and now when I return one day I can start where I left off, which is apparently "the good part". Starting an old MMO with the mindset that you have to now finish all existing content is a mistake IMO.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Looper posted:

let's play a forums game: go to metacritic > games > best of last 90 days. now, without revealing what the games are, go down the top ten and say whether you'd want to play that game or not. i'm skipping repeats on different platforms

1. no
2. no
3. no
4. yes but probably not for a while
5. no
6. yes
7. no
8. no
9. no
10. no (editor's note, this is entry 19 on metacritic's list)

I like this game. If I have already played a game on another platform (outside the last 90 days) I am putting "no"

1. No
2. Yes
3. Played it
4. Maybe
5. Played it
6. Played it
7. No
8. Played it
9. Yes
10. Yes

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MMOs arent about having fun ptheyre about keeping you on the treadmill so you dont dont stop playing and keep spending in the MMO cash shop which is why you should play games that arent MMOs instead

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Idk if longer delays between story arcs would suddenly improve things, they seem married to this kind of really slow and imo awkward storytelling

it's very much an individual taste thing; i've never had a problem with FFXIV's pacing beyond some of the pre-rework ARR quests, but how much you enjoy that pacing depends significantly on how well you interface with the broad strokes of MMO gameplay

some games simply aren't good fits for some people, like how i know that stardew valley is an excellent game loved by hundreds of thousands of people, but my interest in it evaporates after maybe a couple hours of play every time i try to sit down with it

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

I got about 20-30 hrs in to ARR and had to put it down, mainly because a lot of the criticism already brought up in this thread. I'm debating picking it back up because there were parts of FF14 that I think I would like but maybe at this point I've wasted enough of my life on MMO's.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i like the pacing of ffxiv

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked the quest I did yesterday, where I had to locate a courier in town that had delivered the wrong package to us, (SPOILERS)when I caught up to him, he apologized and gave me the correct package, which I then brought back to our base

Took about four minutes (you can't ride mounts in town so I had to tactically deploy my Sprint cooldown)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m getting a lot of ads for a new Queens Blade mobile game. I thought that franchise was dead.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I liked the quest I did yesterday, where I had to locate a courier in town that had delivered the wrong package to us, (SPOILERS)when I caught up to him, he apologized and gave me the correct package, which I then brought back to our base

Took about four minutes (you can't ride mounts in town so I had to tactically deploy my Sprint cooldown)

Did you say the quote from your avatar when you completed the quest?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

i like those quests because they add character to the world, and make the experience feel more like real people participating in real events instead of rapidly jumping between plot-critical elements

again, very much a taste thing: i like slow, thoughtful narratives that aren't afraid of being sidetracked (one of my favorite novels is saint leibowitz and the wild horsewoman which is ponderous as hell and filled with narrative sideroads and switchbacks), and i broadly think they fit MMOs better due to it being difficult to build tension or project a sense of urgency when you can gently caress off and go fishing whenever. this is an issue with RPGs in general, but i think MMOs, as social spaces, suffer from it acutely, which is probably why there's been so few attempts to write a genuinely good story in an MMO

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i like slow games i dont like filler

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

The thing about FF14 specifically though is that you HAVE to do the main quest to unlock everything else, which uh...yeah, it's extremely tedious. If there was a "you can only do dungeons/raids and hang out in towns" subscription for like five bucks I'd probably leave it going forever. Hell, if I hadn't already had an account when it went free up to HW I might still play once in a while.

The whole game is just such a quantity over quality experience all around, and I don't say that pejoratively. People clearly love it, and I love enough aspects of the game that I get it, but holy poo poo what if the game was massively, overwhelmingly edited down. What a game that would be. Like was said, there are hard cold business reasons to not do that, so it ends up being the way it is, but what if!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stux posted:

i like slow games i dont like filler

i love filler if it's cutely framed or provides an element of worldbuilding or characterization

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the game starts off slow but after you play through 200 hours of boring MMO fetch quests it starts to get good i swear...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the game starts off slow but after you play through 200 hours of boring MMO fetch quests it starts to get good i swear...

The game gets good at the beginning, when you design your cat person.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People will really say Once Upon a Time in America is "Too Long" then go play fetch quest simulator pro edition for ten billion hours to get a paragraph of story

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I liked the scene where adult Noodle and friends cover their faces and then take out their dicks so that a woman acquaintance can play a fun round of "try to guess which one of them sexually assaulted her years ago"

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

People will really say Once Upon a Time in America is "Too Long" then go play fetch quest simulator pro edition for ten billion hours to get a paragraph of story

The complaint is the other way around, ten billion paragraphs of story for one hour of fetch quest.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

I liked the scene where adult Noodle and friends cover their faces and then take out their dicks so that a woman acquaintance can play a fun round of "try to guess which one of them sexually assaulted her years ago"

:dogstare:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Why is there a cooldown on the sprint button anyways

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like FFXIV and it's fine if you don't, different strokes.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I've seen this scene mentioned twice today in two separate threads. :suicide:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Turns out Gangsters are actually awful people who will betray and abuse anyone in their path including the people they love and consider family

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

In most non-combat, non-dungeon scenarios you have a mount but it would be nice if they reduced the cooldown in cities

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

i don't think they've ever said directly, but i assume it's a deliberate aesthetic choice in towns to make them feel more like a real space without everyone gunning around like usain bolt, with mount restrictions following from the same logic

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
actually I'm pretty sure mounts are restricted so they can up the number of players drawn to make them feel bustling

idk why sprint has a CD outside of combat. Inside of combat the CD makes sense, but

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Vermain posted:

i love filler if it's cutely framed or provides an element of worldbuilding or characterization

thats not filler, thats just side content. ff14 is full of lots of filler

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

wuh

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

seriously what the gently caress is this lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this is why reading books is for chumps.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

was this in heavensward or shadowbringers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

haveblue posted:

was this in heavensward or shadowbringers

endwalker