Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

discount cathouse posted:

Any opinions on zeldalikes? I Played deaths door and it made me want more so im gonnancheck Out hyper light driftet or Tunica.
Definitely play Tunic if you're looking for that old-school Zelda feeling of "I have no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing in this game but by god I'm gonna figure it out". It was one of my favorite games of the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Any opinions on zeldalikes? I Played deaths door and it made me want more so im gonnancheck Out hyper light driftet or Tunica.

Darksiders might not look like it, but it sure feels like a Zeldalike

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

I played Unsighted a while back and really enjoyed it. It definitely falls into souls-like territory in all the standard ways, but definitely has Zelda as a central touchstone. One major aspect which is pretty unconventional for the genre is that you + every NPC are under constant pressure from a countdown which you have to mitigate through a limited resource (you can switch it off in the options though). So it's not a chill experience, but it feeds well into the gameplay and story.

I played as part of the Humble trove or whatever it's called if you are a Choice subscriber.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

If you like 3D Zelda both Darksiders 1 and Okami are pretty great

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh poo poo yeah i replayed okami during the covidtimes and that poo poo’s good

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

victrix posted:

ah, an Unsighted appreciator I see

I loving love Hyper Light Drifter, play it

And HLD has a sequel coming soon…Hyper Light Breaker. Looking forward to that one, too.

Another fun one, sorta short but felt like Zelda to me was Hob. It just hit all the same buttons in my head, as well as being the first real attempt at using a controller for me (haven’t had a console since ‘93 and have been a kb&m warrior for decades!). Hob was also just fun to play. Like, you know, Zelda. 🥹

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

DerekSmartymans posted:

And HLD has a sequel coming soon…Hyper Light Breaker. Looking forward to that one, too.

Another fun one, sorta short but felt like Zelda to me was Hob. It just hit all the same buttons in my head, as well as being the first real attempt at using a controller for me (haven’t had a console since ‘93 and have been a kb&m warrior for decades!). Hob was also just fun to play. Like, you know, Zelda. 🥹

I was going to ask what the deal is with the Hyper Light sequel. It looks cool but it looks so very different from Drifter

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Definitely play Tunic if you're looking for that old-school Zelda feeling of "I have no idea what the gently caress I'm supposed to be doing in this game but by god I'm gonna figure it out". It was one of my favorite games of the last few years.

it's a great simulation of when you were four or five or so and couldn't really comprehend the game manuals yet

i loved Tunic to bits - the art, sound, music, everything is beautiful, and The Big Puzzle (and the basis for doing said puzzle) had me smiling the whole way through. but i'm still gonna piss and moan to the high heavens about the Cathedral, that was bullshit hard when you went there in the plot

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 19, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

kazil posted:

I was going to ask what the deal is with the Hyper Light sequel. It looks cool but it looks so very different from Drifter

hey at least you're not me who went on media blackout because I wanted to experience solar ash pure, and found out the hard way it was not a direct hld sequel :negative:

come to think it it, Solar Ash is kinda sorta a zeldalike :thunk:

Warning, feels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiK6w1pC8h4

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My eternal curse: I don't want to see horny games on Steam except that sometimes there's one with an extremely funny name.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zeldalikes are my favorite genre and I need to actually make a list of the ones I liked. But off the top of my head there's Blossom Tales I/II, Ocean's Heart, Anodyne, Lenna's Inception, WireWalk(), Arietta of Spirits, Eastward, and Ittle Dew 1/2.

I didn't care for Hyper Light Drifter but I have no trouble seeing why someone else would like it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Hyper Light Drifter seems more actioney than zelda-ey, I don't recall much puzzle solving explorey stuff in the overworld although there were corners and side paths in dungeons to poke around in.
Been a while since I played it though. I remember it was pretty fun! Great artstyle too

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

New fanatical bundles

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-slayer-bundle-7

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-quad-pack

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Btw the new Saint's Row has a big pride flag on the wall of your apartment so get ready for some extremely rational and unemotional takes.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kazil posted:

Yeah, seems like a different direction but I had such a good time w/Drifter I’m just excited to see what new things the devs come up with! Kinda like when AC/DC dropped a new album when I was a teenager…I would just buy it day one because even though the songs were new, it was from a group I liked and knew it would be a good time. I never played Doom64, but have it downloading right now (free on EGS) because I loved Doom when it was new, even though I’ve kinda drifted away from games like that since Unreal (not “Tournament,” Unreal on a CD).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Btw the new Saint's Row has a big pride flag on the wall of your apartment so get ready for some extremely rational and unemotional takes.

I’m furiously scouring Twitter rn for takes to get angry at.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I was looking at necrosmith so I may end up getting this one. (I get all of them and never play the games, who am I kidding)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I got a hefty GOG discount code for Mechwarrior 5's deluxe edition and have some questions:

1)So is it good now?
2)Any must have mods? I'm not precious about the canon so have to problem adding a bunch of Clan mechs and Lostech weapons and poo poo.
3)I know it makes heavy use of generic procgen stuff which is ugh, but are there also enough bespoke campaign strings to be worth it? MW4:M was the ideal, where there were a lot of missions, some short, some long, all hand-designed and at least a couple overall story branches.
4)This version doesn't come with the newest, melee-focused DLC, is that worth a drat? It's mixed on Steam I think so...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jordan7hm posted:

I was looking at necrosmith so I may end up getting this one. (I get all of them and never play the games, who am I kidding)

Yup, came in to ask if there are any impressions of Necrosmith. From the Slayer bundle, there's Vectronom and Pilgrims which I've heard good things about, so I'm trying to settle on a third game. If Necrosmith is a dud maybe I'll nab Song of Farca - had a decent time with the demo but I wish the text and game in general moved a bit faster.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Mordja posted:

I got a hefty GOG discount code for Mechwarrior 5's deluxe edition and have some questions:

1)So is it good now?
2)Any must have mods? I'm not precious about the canon so have to problem adding a bunch of Clan mechs and Lostech weapons and poo poo.
3)I know it makes heavy use of generic procgen stuff which is ugh, but are there also enough bespoke campaign strings to be worth it? MW4:M was the ideal, where there were a lot of missions, some short, some long, all hand-designed and at least a couple overall story branches.
4)This version doesn't come with the newest, melee-focused DLC, is that worth a drat? It's mixed on Steam I think so...

1 yes
2 probably but you need to identify what your gripes with vanilla are first. I will say buysble drop tonnage and salvage shares is mandatory.
3 the vanilla campaign is comple garbage. The dlc Flashpoints range from okay to great.
4 melee weapons are fun but not a deal breaker. Grab it if you like the core game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmm, what makes it garbage and are there a bunch of flashpoints or just, like, nine?

E:Oh, I also heard the mechlab is strangely limited in some way but it looks like there are a bunch of mods that change it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Mordja posted:

Hmmm, what makes it garbage and are there a bunch of flashpoints or just, like, nine?

E:Oh, I also heard the mechlab is strangely limited in some way but it looks like there are a bunch of mods that change it.

Bad writing, Lotta procgen, Lotta filler. It sucks. Also breaks lore if you're a dweeb that cares.

There are a lot of loving flashpoints including two near campaign length ones and they're much more tightly designed and full of neat spectacle.

I didn't hate the mechlab but there are def crazy lab mods if you want them.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Psycho Landlord posted:

1 yes
2 probably but you need to identify what your gripes with vanilla are first. I will say buysble drop tonnage and salvage shares is mandatory.
3 the vanilla campaign is comple garbage. The dlc Flashpoints range from okay to great.
4 melee weapons are fun but not a deal breaker. Grab it if you like the core game.

It's wild because your answer would also apply to someone asking about battletech lol

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

this dude is so jazzed about cursed to golf reviewing well, it's adorable

https://twitter.com/LiamBME/status/1560262394164547584?t=yL3IzlIhhYcJawIR_AMH6Q&s=19

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Azran posted:

It's wild because your answer would also apply to someone asking about battletech lol

They are on a very similar trajectory yes

Btech was better out of the box though (and I liked the campaign personally, it just had no replayability. Mech5 campaign is actually bad.)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DerekSmartymans posted:

I can't wait for the third game to come out, Hyper Light Accelerator

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
hyper light handbrake

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Btech was better out of the box though (and I liked the campaign personally, it just had no replayability. Mech5 campaign is actually bad.)

It was nice to hear Elias Toufexis again at least

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah I liked BT's campaign, I was just taking the piss. MW5 was a soulless, cliche-ridden fest for me.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It was nice to hear Elias Toufexis again at least

It was a very pleasant surprise.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

TUNIC is outstanding, but be aware that the back third of the game gets big into puzzles, rather than harder combat. If you're happy with Myst-like lateral thinking, or willing to ignore it and be happy with the 'bad/combat' ending, then TUNIC is basically 10/10 material.

Also, go in to it totally unspoilered, finding out about stuff is half the fun.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sorry, double-posting.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Azran posted:

Yeah I liked BT's campaign, I was just taking the piss. MW5 was a soulless, cliche-ridden fest for me.

I've JUST gotten my copy of BTech to finally work on Linux, something like three years after purchasing it (not sure to be more angry at Unity, the devs, or Paradox's support). I'm about 12 hours in currently, and have a sinking realization that it might be doing the same bad thing every MW/BT game has done: Big mechs are better, there is no valid reason to use a bunch of lightweight mechs once you get heavy stuff, as you are limited by pilots, not tonnage. Oh, and it seems like I have minimal customization options with these light mechs, with almost all hardpoints & slots being unused, as of course the fundamentals of the game seem to be tonnage = better with no lightweight equipment.

So uh, am I wrong about all of that? I want to like the game as it's probably the best adaptation since MechCommander2 (a low bar...) but that pet peeve of mine is being aggravated.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i got bad news

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
Bad news: Heavier is just better.

Good news: The mod scene for Battletech is fat and mighty, and many of the big overhaul mods address this problem!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dekker says hello

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Serephina posted:

TUNIC is outstanding, but be aware that the back third of the game gets big into puzzles, rather than harder combat. If you're happy with Myst-like lateral thinking, or willing to ignore it and be happy with the 'bad/combat' ending, then TUNIC is basically 10/10 material.

Cosign

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

I will be real, the combat took me right out of the game and if it eventually becomes less important, then I would be willing to get back into it at some point.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Dekker says hello

splat

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I will be real, the combat took me right out of the game and if it eventually becomes less important, then I would be willing to get back into it at some point.

You can just turn on God mode in the options menu and breeze through all combat, it's a fully intended way to play the game

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Unlucky7 posted:

How far did you get? I feel that the first few minutes are the roughest, as the stick is pitiful and won't stun foes so you get hit a lot, or spend ages dodging. Once you've gotten past the first very major boss, the Garden Warrior? you'll have the right impression.

Sinatrapod posted:

Bad news: Heavier is just better.

Good news: The mod scene for Battletech is fat and mighty, and many of the big overhaul mods address this problem!
No Steam workshop, where are these delicious mods? Specifically the light mech overhaul, please-and-thank-you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Serephina posted:

How far did you get? I feel that the first few minutes are the roughest, as the stick is pitiful and won't stun foes so you get hit a lot, or spend ages dodging. Once you've gotten past the first very major boss, the Garden Warrior? you'll have the right impression.

No Steam workshop, where are these delicious mods? Specifically the light mech overhaul, please-and-thank-you!

I did beat the first boss at least, but I never really got back into it and that first impression really sticks with me. This probably doesn't make sense, but I feel that the dodge heavy combat of those early segments are antithetical to the type of game it is emulating (top down zelda) to the point where it takes me out of the game.

That said, I am not against picking it up again at some point. And it is probably like you said, that drat stick just sucks so much that it is unfairly painting the entire system in a bad light.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 19, 2022