Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Eej posted:

smh all these boomer takes saying William is playing Counter-Strike. He's clearly turned the world into a Battle Royale. The dude is camping and letting people kill each other so he can pick off the remaining weakened targets so he can grab the good loot when it's all clear.

The rifle itself is a dead-on reference to counterstrike and given the breadth of scoped, bolt action rifles the showrunners could have had the armorer put in the kid's hands I refuse to believe it's mere coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Owlbear Camus posted:

The rifle itself is a dead-on reference to counterstrike and given the breadth of scoped, bolt action rifles the showrunners could have had the armorer put in the kid's hands I refuse to believe it's mere coincidence.
He is also the exact right age for counterstrike. Battle Royales became big when he was busy seducing his way to the top. Like, in story, William went to the park this year.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Can the entire season take place in a few seconds as she runs the simulation like Bernard?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Mulva posted:

The number of people who continuously watch something they haven't liked in years loving baffles me. There's a lot of good tv out there if you aren't having fun, you could go watch that.

It's a handful of episodes that come out at least two years apart. It's not like it's a huge time commitment. Plus, you need to watch the show in order to be sure that it's bad. Otherwise you're just saying it sucks from a place of ignorance.

Owlbear Camus posted:

The AWP is a real rifle. I'm no gun expert, but what he had was definitely something different. Its most distinguishing feature is a hole it has behind the trigger, and that wasn't there. I feel like if they cared about making that reference (or even meant to), they needed to find a way to get the genuine article.

Lister fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 18, 2022

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Sniper rifles and camping go hand in hand in shooter games. Why does it specifically have to be a Counter-Strike reference?

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

It’s not. It’s not even an awp, just a nondescript bolt action. It’s more of a generic video game reference than counterstrike specifically.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jiffynuts posted:

That headcannon is a million times better than any possible S5 storeline a WW writer could come up with so I'd be happy with that.

Yea, I noped out of the last season and a half of Flash because I couldn't take it anymore. I'm sure I can suffer through a season 5 of Westworld. Can't be *that* bad.
Trying to remember some I actually did walk away from after a multi-year investment and I'm finding that the only ones I remember are ones where I can also pinpoint the exact moment I hosed off.

Power Rangers — I saw that five people who weren't the rangers I'd been following were wearing Ranger colors and doing heroic things, put together that the entire cast was about to be replaced all at once and noped out. Only ever caught reunion specials after that.

The Walking Dead - Glenn's death. Seems I was far from alone there as the ratings evidently took an absolute nose-dive right at that moment. They never returned and neither did I.

WWE - They had a wrestler without one pretend to have a cognitive disability and made fun of him non-stop. I was gone for like four years. Then once they had real competition, I jumped ship as fast as was humanly possible and haven't seen a single episode since that day.

Star Trek - About halfway through the premiere of Enterprise, I shut it off and literally went outside to just walk around and experience real life. At nine-something at night in the dark. I walked around a park for over an hour. Tried again recently and still couldn't get through the first two episodes. Came back when the franchise did with Discovery.

Boy Meets World - Cory goes to college and they retool the show for the third time. Never came back, but I wasn't angry and hoped everybody stayed employed and they kept making it. Just didn't speak to me anymore.

Archer - Several seasons in a row weren't canon even within the text, and despite the fact that it's all made up and none of it really happened, my brain cannot accept that kind of thing. Returned this last season when the canonicity of the material did.

The Simpsons - yvaN ehT nioJ. Never came back.

Tuca and Bertie - Season 2, episode 1. Show went from feeling like it was written by and for women to being written to mock women. Like some Adult Swim executive had an edict that "you got cancelled on Netflix for being that great show. Be a terrible show about farts now." Frankly, I don't care if that's how it went down because whatever it became wasn't made for me anymore and that's fine.

Handmaid's Tale - Somewhere in Season 2 or 3. "Y'know all that progress we've made? We're undoing all that and putting everybody back where they started. Watch how they get out of it this time!" I already did that, and if your show wasn't also a giant-rear end drag right when I did not need that, I may have stuck around, but as it stands, no thank you.

I could go on, but the thought exercise gave me the answer I needed: I would absolutely gently caress off from Westworld if this were 2007 and the show was just going to keep going until we all got tired of it, so I'm pretty sure I'm sticking around because I know this is gonna' end soon.

That's, uh... that's kinda' dire. And I actually liked Season 3. I don't know what the hell Season 4 even was.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

LividLiquid posted:

The Walking Dead - Glenn's death. Seems I was far from alone there as the ratings evidently took an absolute nose-dive right at that moment. They never returned and neither did I.

Handmaid's Tale - Somewhere in Season 2 or 3. "Y'know all that progress we've made? We're undoing all that and putting everybody back where they started. Watch how they get out of it this time!" I already did that, and if your show wasn't also a giant-rear end drag right when I did not need that, I may have stuck around, but as it stands, no thank you.

I quit both for the same reasons, around the same times.

Walking Dead was always grim, edgy bullshit, but it was kind of novel in that aspect at one time. By this point in the run, though, it was clear they had no other agenda than to shock and punish viewers. It wasn't just the fact Glenn died or the brutality of how it happened, but the arbitrariness of the decision and how much they milked the anticipation across a season break. "Who's gonna die?!? Tune in to find out!" is such empty cynicism, I just couldn't engage anymore.

Handmaid's Tale was more a victim of the context, but I remember quitting in early season 2 when June hides out in the abandoned offices of a newspaper that was massacred. Real life was and is dark enough already with respect to an army of American Taliban seeking to dominate and massacre anyone opposed to Christian fascism. I didn't need to wallow in the misery of this piece of fiction when real life was already exactly like that.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
loving hell that was dire. I have a lot more tolerance for this show than most people, I even liked season 3 (outside the godawful French villain) for what it was. At some point midway through this season I thought it might be decent after all despite the poor dialogue, but that finale was absolute hot garbage. How did this get made. Even my wife, who's the least critical TV viewer I've ever met, hated it. It takes really bad work to get that.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I was seriously enjoying myself until like the last 20 seconds. It’s like watching a stallion in the Kentucky Derby outpacing every other horse by 3 body lengths and then all four of its knees explode and it collapses in a crumpled heap just inches from the finish line.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
See, that would have at least have been more entertaining.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Xealot posted:

I quit both for the same reasons, around the same times.

Walking Dead was always grim, edgy bullshit, but it was kind of novel in that aspect at one time. By this point in the run, though, it was clear they had no other agenda than to shock and punish viewers. It wasn't just the fact Glenn died or the brutality of how it happened, but the arbitrariness of the decision and how much they milked the anticipation across a season break. "Who's gonna die?!? Tune in to find out!" is such empty cynicism, I just couldn't engage anymore.

Handmaid's Tale was more a victim of the context, but I remember quitting in early season 2 when June hides out in the abandoned offices of a newspaper that was massacred. Real life was and is dark enough already with respect to an army of American Taliban seeking to dominate and massacre anyone opposed to Christian fascism. I didn't need to wallow in the misery of this piece of fiction when real life was already exactly like that.

Important to note that part of the reason they split Glenn’s death across seasons was to use the threat of killing each actor’s/actress’ character off during contract renegotiations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gross.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Television can be terrible, but what goes on behind the camera is often worse than what's on it, and the leeway sci-fi/fantasy gives you with plot points makes it even worse.

The worst (or is it best?) example of this I know of is what the rumors say happened behind the scenes on Sliders. If true, you might not want to click.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I'm still angry about this! "Everyone dies except there's a virtual version of the fun themepark you watch this show for on some server in the Hoover Dam" is a lovely ending! I'm okay with the development of a bigger question behind the fun robot theme park even if it's a stupid one (are sentient robots people? duh yes idiots) but jesus christ what a miserable ending. Literally nobody to root for except people we know are doomed to die in post-apocalypse land.

I watched the original 70s movie because it showed up on my hbomax thing and it was a thousand times more straightforward and fun than this gloomy slog into the grave.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I might be misremembering but I think Glenn died in the comic book the show is based on and in the exact same way too, and that was pretty important for the story too. So I think it wanst something the TV show made up for shock or anything like that

Some people may not know, but the TV show is based on a long running comic book and a lot of stuff people poo poo on the show for comes directly from the source, which they follow quite closely

I do think the last few seasons has been kinda weak, but the whole Neagan arch, which starts with Glenn and some other characters getting murdered by him, is one of the high points of the show imo

I liked Glenn too, but killing important characters brutally has always been a thing in both the comics and the show, since the beginning. Well, except for Rick buut, in the very last issue of the comic he finally takes out that plot armor and is killed like a bitch. I dont know ho they handle it on the show, a havent watched the last season yet. And in the show Rick has been missing for a while, which didint happen in the comic

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 20, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Elias_Maluco posted:

I might be misremembering but I think Glenn died in the comic book the show is based on and in the exact same way too, and that was pretty important for the story too. So I think it wanst something the TV show made up for shock or anything like that

Some people may not know, but the TV show is based on a long running comic book and a lot of stuff people poo poo on the show for comes directly from the source, which they follow quite closely

I do think the last few seasons has been kinda weak, but the whole Neagan arch, which starts with Glenn and some other characters getting murdered by him, is one of the high points of the show imo

I liked Glenn too, but killing important characters brutally has always been a thing in both the comics and the show, since the beginning. Well, except for Rick buut, in the very last issue of the comic he finally takes out that plot armor and is killed like a bitch. I dont know ho they handle it on the show, a havent watched the last season yet. And in the show Rick has been missing for a while, which didint happen in the comic

They killed Glenn and another character after running an almost year-long ad campaign about “WHO WILL DIE” so I don’t think it had anything to do with the comics but was purely about punishing the audience and cast.

That they kept Glenn’s death from the comics is lazy, more than anything else, because they had shuffled nearly all of the “comic book deaths” around in series.

It actually seems like a staple of 2010-era tv that the show runners just hated the source material and popularity and constantly worked to sabotage their own success...

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well the entire arc of the comic rests on Rick and Carl so, you know, not that closely.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mulva posted:

Well the entire arc of the comic rests on Rick and Carl so, you know, not that closely.

Carl was a big change indeed. But they adapted his part for other characters and the big story archs remained mostly the same.

They could killed someone else instead of Glenn too, of course. But I think it had to be someone important anyway, it had to be shocking and revolting and all, for the scene, and all that comes later, to work

I dont know about that campaign, I watched the whole show only last year

edit: and Rick I suppose the actor got tired of it or something like that and thats why the character had to disappear.

edit 2: also I guess I wanst particulary bothered by Glenn cause I was reading the comics at the same time, but a little ahead in the comics, so I was past that part already and already had the shock of death

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 20, 2022

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Guildencrantz posted:

loving hell that was dire. I have a lot more tolerance for this show than most people, I even liked season 3 (outside the godawful French villain) for what it was. At some point midway through this season I thought it might be decent after all despite the poor dialogue, but that finale was absolute hot garbage. How did this get made. Even my wife, who's the least critical TV viewer I've ever met, hated it. It takes really bad work to get that.

The show tries so hard to be clever that it just can't tell a story any other way but time jumps meant to be twists. Instead of using that sparingly like most sane writers, it's become thematic to the point where if you had a pulse you instantly knew they were doing it again with the non-maeve stuff being "present day"...all in service to the exact same twist as watchmen just done with no stakes and really lovely.

Ok, cool I guess? The contrivances needed to make the christina segment work (everyone is her personality) make little to no sense even for this show so it just feels even stupider then it should.

The only thing I can honestly say I didn't see coming was this show becoming a matrix rip-off, homage, parody, whatever you want to call it. Probably because mind control flies is the dumbest poo poo possible to get there so of course they did.

I'm OK with this being it, I really don't need an all-the-way up its own rear end "virtual-loop" redo of season 1, season 65. We all know the pretentious dialogue at that point will be cranked up to 11 and just be entirely non-sequitors delivered right to the camera.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 20, 2022

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
The mind control flies are only there because the opening shots of the show are a fly crawling across Dolores's face. These hacks are just mining their own show for their hack beats.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Jorge Bell posted:

The mind control flies are only there because the opening shots of the show are a fly crawling across Dolores's face. These hacks are just mining their own show for their hack beats.

Self-plagiarism is a theme on this show. It gets called out by name more than once, then the show really puts its money where its mouth is by making S3 a sort of reboot of Person of Interest, far as I can tell without a full watch of that show.

I thought the robot flies were just a little too much of a nod to Black Mirror's killer robot bees, but maybe this is right. Might be more respectable.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I liked the nanotech flies, they were sinister and a neat inversion of the host concept.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I thought season 4 was better than season 3. At least there weren't any ridiculous katana battles this time.

Warner Bros/discovery+ have been killing so many HBO max shows though so I imagine season 5 is unlikely.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

Plenty of shows have jumped back over the shark. As for me, I'm just a completionist. It takes rather a lot to get me to just nope the hell out of something I've been watching for years.

Im curious what shows you've stopped watching? I'm the same way and I noped out of Dexter after the Edward James Olmos season and Star Trek Discovery and Picard.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

DropsySufferer posted:

I thought season 4 was better than season 3. At least there weren't any ridiculous katana battles this time.

Warner Bros/discovery+ have been killing so many HBO max shows though so I imagine season 5 is unlikely.

Cancel westworld, bring back raised by wolves

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Elias_Maluco posted:

but westworld is turning into a story about robots raising people

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
So no one turned off the Caleb machine right? What's the lifespan of the clones, how many can you get out at a time?

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
Fire the writers and showrunners and bring in the ones from Raised By Wolves. New meta narrative.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope next season is self indulgently meta as hell, feature dolores walking behind a camera man and saying somethin mysterious and four episodes later we find out he was a dolores too and by the finale evan rachell wood is composing the floor, walls, and objects of every scene, playing every character, giving interviews to camera about the show they're starting to make, director delores can talk about how she'll never forgive the online for cracking their secrets by watching the show and paying attention.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I quit watching Barry after season one, not because I particularly disliked anything about it, but because I simply had no urge to watch season two when it came out. For me Barry was like eating kale. I knew it was something I should do, but it was never anything I particularly wanted to do.

For a while Walking Dead was my favorite show, I didn't mind the Glenn thing too much because I knew it was supposed to happen. I was very annoyed by his dumpster escape though because that felt like they were cheaply playing with the audience. I stopped watching not when it jumped the shark, but when it killed the tiger. I remember when the episode was over I just didn't really care anymore about any of it. For a while the show explored really interesting questions about what would happen after a zombie event, but for me it devolved into a version of "monster of the week" where the monsters were increasingly weird groups of survivors to deal with. I also couldn't buy Neegan's plot armor. You're telling me in a world with no law enforcement a dude that creates a harem out of other guys' wives isn't going to get murdered?

I haven't even brought myself to watch Picard because I've heard such bad things about it. If Star Trek had any drat sense they would turn over the franchise to Seth McFarland. From what I've seen of The Orville he seems to "get" Star Trek better than any of their current production teams.

Maybe we need to change the thread title to "We mostly just talk about other shows now" but this has been a fun tangent.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I haven't even brought myself to watch Picard because I've heard such bad things about it. If Star Trek had any drat sense they would turn over the franchise to Seth McFarland. From what I've seen of The Orville he seems to "get" Star Trek better than any of their current production teams.

Watch Strange New Worlds, it's actually Star Trek and it's good.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I quit watching Barry after season one, not because I particularly disliked anything about it, but because I simply had no urge to watch season two when it came out. For me Barry was like eating kale. I knew it was something I should do, but it was never anything I particularly wanted to do.

For what it’s worth, I’m in the same boat exactly. It’s a beloved show and I have nothing against it, but it has nothing of interest plot-wise for me.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Watch Strange New Worlds, it's actually Star Trek and it's good.

+1 this is very much correct

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Renewal definitely feeling not overly likely at this point, all the previous renewals happened while the season was running.

The fact that every interview for the show involves mention of how the fifth will be the last also feels like the Showrunners know it's unlikely and are hoping to get some "let the story finish" pressure on HBO.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, but as I mentioned earlier: Discovery.

Since the merger, take-over or whatever you want to call it, they've apparently been cancelling poo poo left and right. So it's not gonna happen.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

LividLiquid posted:

WWE - They had a wrestler without one pretend to have a cognitive disability and made fun of him non-stop. I was gone for like four years. Then once they had real competition, I jumped ship as fast as was humanly possible and haven't seen a single episode since that day.

Mankind?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Elias_Maluco posted:

Derryl literally isn't in that comic book. There's no way their hands were tied by something Robert Kirkman wrote ages ago in a completely different medium. They killed off one of the only leading Asian men in television because every actor gets a raise every year by SAG rules, and it came time to kill off an original cast member to free up some budget, and he was the one they picked.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Im curious what shows you've stopped watching? I'm the same way and I noped out of Dexter after the Edward James Olmos season and Star Trek Discovery and Picard.
I posted a few earlier and came to the conclusion after the thought exercise that I actually would have stopped watching Westworld too if it were occurring in the era of television where popular shows just always ran until they were bad, then several years more.

So, I'll give this one more year if it gets it, but only because there'll only be one more year. It's not entertainingly bad right now, and that's the far greater sin than merely not matching its prior quality.
Eugene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Senor Tron posted:

Renewal definitely feeling not overly likely at this point, all the previous renewals happened while the season was running.

The fact that every interview for the show involves mention of how the fifth will be the last also feels like the Showrunners know it's unlikely and are hoping to get some "let the story finish" pressure on HBO.

The problem is that there's not going to be any pressure campaign because nobody still watching actually believes they can write an effective ending, particularly given the corner they willingly boxed themselves into these past two seasons.