Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

November's Criterion Selection

Format in Order: 4K - BR | BR | 4K - BR - DVD | 4K - BR - DVD | BR |

that's a heavy month for me.

Top orders are definitely Daises and The Internal Affairs Trilogy, after that Malcom X and In The Mood For Love are sales buys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Malcom and Mood for Love 4Ks are buys for me when they're on sale

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 17, 2022

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
For the WKW stuff, the euro 4k's that are out use a different color grade than the criterion BD box set right? (but sadly no english subtitles)

wonder which version this 4k will be.

also bummed that there's a euro 4k of infernal affairs but criterion is going BD..oh well

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Franchescanado posted:

And it has better art.

That steelbook is ugly.

I like it! It’s got a nice retro vibe and I’m a sucker for its clean lines.

I wish I liked the Child’s Play UHD Steelbook more, because the UHD art is meh to me. But the Steelbook isn’t dope enough to purchase.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
ET caused me to get grounded when I saw it as a kid because it taught me that there would be little to no consequence for calling my younger brother "penis breath" in front of my parents.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Did anyone check out the black and white Johnny mnemonic? Wondering if it's worth the purchase.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I've got it, but havent given it a watch yet.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

dorium posted:

I've got it, but havent given it a watch yet.

Same but from the screencaps I've seen, it's got serious Tetsuo: The Iron Man energy.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Top Gun Maverick has a confirmed date of Nov 1. It has extended IMAX shots and Atmos.

Here's the AMZ link for the UHD Steelbook:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZSZV3LT

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

VoodooXT posted:

Same but from the screencaps I've seen, it's got serious Tetsuo: The Iron Man energy.

Now I'm interested

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Third Window Films is releasing a Nobuhiko Obayashi box set with four films that as far as I know have never received official releases with English Language subtitles, much less on blu-ray. It's apparently limited to 2000 copies. I don't know if that's the box set specifically and the individual movies will be unbundled or if there will be a later edition in a different box or some bullshit Details and pre-order here:

https://shop.terracottadistribution.com/collections/pre-order-before-release/products/nobuhiko-obayashi-s-80s-kadokawa-years-bluray-4-discs

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Third Window Films is releasing a Nobuhiko Obayashi box set with four films that as far as I know have never received official releases with English Language subtitles, much less on blu-ray. It's apparently limited to 2000 copies. I don't know if that's the box set specifically and the individual movies will be unbundled or if there will be a later edition in a different box or some bullshit Details and pre-order here:

https://shop.terracottadistribution.com/collections/pre-order-before-release/products/nobuhiko-obayashi-s-80s-kadokawa-years-bluray-4-discs

A little pricey, but I already pre-ordered this. Haven't seen The Island Closest to Heaven yet, but the other three are incredibly good movies. They did an anti-war trilogy set last year too, also all great movies, especially Hanagatami. It'd be nice if someone released these for region A, but Criterion's interest in Obayashi seems to be limited to selling House merch and tweeting about how wacky House is and never mentioning any of his other films ever.

I wonder how that Labyrinth of Cinema release did for Crescendo House. Hopefully well enough. I see they still have copies left, and it's expensive and 4000 is a pretty big limited run, but I hope there's been enough interest for us to get more.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I see VinSyn has a sale starting tonight, anyone know if they still had Miami Connection 4K slipcased still in stock by chance? Was tempted to get it before in a sale but not sure I can resist tonight if it's up.

Tim Whatley posted:

Top Gun Maverick has a confirmed date of Nov 1. It has extended IMAX shots and Atmos.

Here's the AMZ link for the UHD Steelbook:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZSZV3LT

Ugh I didn't get chance (somehow) to see it in IMAX/even regular theater so I wanna hold off for this, but the regular digital online version is over a month before that. Dammit, I might not be able to resist even though naturally I want the best way to watch it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Maverick in IMAX is really a sight to behold. Right up there with Dune in IMAX. Just completely engrossing and gigantic.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

dorium posted:

Maverick in IMAX is really a sight to behold. Right up there with Dune in IMAX. Just completely engrossing and gigantic.

I didn't get to see Dune in IMAX either :( I did see Blade Runner 2049 though, despite reading that Deakins didn't overwhelmingly approve of it, and it was just incredible.

Going to my local IMAX is a literal sensory overload for me, I have some inner ear vertigo nonsense and the first 15-20 minutes of a movie are always me barely being able to look at the screen while wondering why I put myself through this again, then it clicks and it's just amazing for the right movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

I like it! It’s got a nice retro vibe and I’m a sucker for its clean lines.

I wish I liked the Child’s Play UHD Steelbook more, because the UHD art is meh to me. But the Steelbook isn’t dope enough to purchase.

Not that this matters if you just aren't a fan of how the art looks, but the steelbook is actually taken from the original poster for the movie:

Which we definitely need more of in my opinion. Just give me the original poster art, don't make things more complicated than they have to be.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Severin is releasing The Changeling on UHD in October. Spooky 4K releases are really up this year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's really pretty insane, I know I've been repetitive about this but drat are there a lot of spooky season UHDs to consider. At least twice I thought we were done and then more announcements just kept coming. Pretty much every single week between now and Halloween there is at least one horror UHD coming out that I have weigh out based on my budget.

The Changeling UHD was an easy call just because it's way to expensive for me to seriously consider given all the other stuff I'm looking to pick up for October. Maybe I can grab it in a sale at some point in the next year or two.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So far the only other thing I’m getting is The Fog UHD so picking up The Changeling isn’t a huge strike against my budget. There’s other stuff I want but I forgot what they were.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Basically the difference between The Changeling($50ish) and like, the standard Shout Factory UHD price($30ish) is what it would cost to get another UHD like I Know What You Did Last Summer or Poltergeist.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are horror movies overrepresented in fancy 4k releases or is my perspective skewed by the particular tastes of this thread?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Shiroc posted:

Are horror movies overrepresented in fancy 4k releases or is my perspective skewed by the particular tastes of this thread?

Helps that there's a bunch of specialty publishers that mostly put out genre stuff, but I'm guessing it's mostly because horror fans are easy marks

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Shiroc posted:

It’s the same reason that heavy metal vinyl LPs are overrepresented in the marketplace with endless reissues (how many times can you buy Dopesmoker??): like metal heads, horror fans will buy anything, and they’ll do it over and over and over again.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
And that reminds me, I’m ready for my Jean Rollin 4K box set now, please..

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Part of it is definitely that Shout Factory jumped into the 4k game with both feet, more so than a lot of the other smaller labels did.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shiroc posted:

Horror can never be over represented

If anything it’s under. Everything should be horror!!!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Horror is the most rewatchable genre. It’s a lot easier to justify buying a piece of physical media that costs dozens of dollars if you’re going to watch it semi regularly.

It also has the best artwork, so you get all kinds of bitchin covers and slipcases.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Horror is over represented in what I own. Horror releases tend to do a good job on their releases to that helps bias things.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Horror and Action are both good genres for rewatching. Sure there are good movies out there that aren't part of those genres, but how many times do you really want to watch Requiem for a Dream?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It also helps that all these boutique labels that regularly pump out nice releases have a catalog that’s at least 50% horror.

I’d assume it’s also super loving cheap to license compared to most genres since a ton of the genre is done by defunct, small, or midsized studios and the larger studios like Universal are already committed to actually making physical releases.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

PinkoBastard posted:

how many times can you buy Dopesmoker??
Three times.

So far.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Horror as a genre also tends to be way less risk averse than most modern movies. More willing to take chances and not just please the lowest common denominator viewers.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Three times.

So far.

Twice for me….. and also bought Holy Mountain twice. …and s/t. But now that I’ve got them on nice vinyl, that’s it! I don’t need any more versions of this loving poo poo!!!!!!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Just dropped $60 on the Heat steelbook anyways loving hell

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is that what people are calling the sequel novel?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Just dropped $60 on the Heat steelbook anyways loving hell

The normal version cover is inexcusable. Looks like Redbox trash.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
VS sale is live. I restrained myself to Talons of The Eagle (a lesser but still great Blanks/Mehri flick) and Righting Wrongs, which I’ve never seen but have wanted to for a while.

It’s cool to see VS continue to dip their toes into HK action stuff. It would be great to not have to rely on region 2 releases so much for that genre.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Only 1 was on sale officially but like I’m not going to not buy Hyapatia Lee in 4K

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

PinkoBastard posted:

how many times can you buy Dopesmoker??

I bought it twice technically: once when it was Jerusalem, then the first Digipak release of Dopesmoker.