Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So wait, your pre adventuring occupation sets your stat bonus now? Like "Blacksmith +2 STR, [some other rules]"?

What does dwarf/elf/human etc do now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jack B Nimble posted:

So wait, your pre adventuring occupation sets your stat bonus now? Like "Blacksmith +2 STR, [some other rules]"?

Things like Darkvision, Dragonborn Breath Attack, extra feat for humans etc. Basically everything they did before except the stat increases.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jack B Nimble posted:

Apparently they're getting additional racial features. Dwarves will have tremorsense when they are in contact with stone, for instance, according to the video.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

DWARF TRAITS
Creature Type: Humanoid
Size: Medium (about 4–5 feet tall)
Speed: 30 feet
Life Span: 350 years on average

As a Dwarf, you have these special traits.
Darkvision. You have Darkvision with a range of 60 feet.
Dwarven Resilience. You have Resistance to Poison Damage. You also have Advantage on saving throws you make to avoid or end the Poisoned Condition on yourself.
Dwarven Toughness. Your Hit Point Maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 again whenever you gain a level.
Forge Wise. Your divine creator gave you an uncanny affinity for working with stone or metal. You gain Tool Proficiency* with two of the following options of your choice: Jeweler’s Tools, Mason’s Tools, Smith’s Tools, or Tinker’s Tools. Stonecunning. As a Bonus Action, you gain Tremorsense* with a range of 60 feet for 10 minutes. You must be on a stone surface or touching such a surface to use this Tremorsense. The stone can be natural or worked. You can use this Bonus Action a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a Long Rest.*

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 18, 2022

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Lobe posted:

I like this idea narratively. It's like your team has drilled and practiced so much they're as coordinated as a sentai superhero group.

Same. It's like if the Swashbuckler with a +8 initiative uses that to point out the impending ambush to the control Wizard instead of just charging right into battle with the rest of the party unwarned.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Jack B Nimble posted:

Humans get an extra Skill proficiency, an extra Feat, and gain Inspiration every time they finish a Long Rest. Elves keep charm resistance, sleep immunity, darkvision, and trance, plus get Perception for free and a bonus cantrip/level scaled spell based on their subrace (e.g. Drow start with Dancing Lights, learn Faerie Fire at level 3 and Darkness at level 5). Dwarves keep darkvision, poison resistance, bonus hp, and free tool proficiency, plus can gain limited-duration Tremorsense 1/day. Etc....

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

For those talking about the Aasimar remember all the races in Monsters of the Multiverse are compatible with these rules, so we can just use those.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Has there ever been a D&D where a cantrip spell was just "Magic Bolt" where you flavored the element but was the same damage die?

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Has there ever been a D&D where a cantrip spell was just "Magic Bolt" where you flavored the element but was the same damage die?

I don't know about a cantrip, but Chromatic Orb is a level 1 spell that does pretty much exactly that.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Moose King posted:

I don't know about a cantrip, but Chromatic Orb is a level 1 spell that does pretty much exactly that.

Right. I've always wondered why people couldn't throw a frost bolt as a cantrip if it's the same damage as a fire bolt.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Base Emitter posted:

It really looks like backgrounds are effectively just suggestions at this point. You could just as easily say to put your bonuses where you like (as per Tasha's) and then pick your skills, feat, one tool, and one language. Which, honestly, I kinda prefer. Bummer to lose those flavor features but they come up pretty rarely anyway in most games.

In the video they posted, they said that they were specifically flipping the way backgrounds work right now. Instead of "here's a list of all the backgrounds, and here's a little blurb about how to customize them" they want the default assumption to be "here's how to design your background, and here's a few examples using those rules".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

you could do this in 3e, yeah

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

ritorix posted:

Some initial thoughts -

Overall I like the race redesigns. Dwarf supremacy has returned. Full orcs are cool and good.
Also, I like how they are handling half-races and I'm glad future PHBs won't waste pagecount on describing their origins. Now if you really want to play one, you pick the game stats of one parent, average the life span of both, then do whatever for a visual appearance. Gameplay-wise, half-orcs are either fully orc or fully whatever the other half is.

It occurs to me that the really nice thing is, if you want to be a elf or catperson or whatever else your fantasy is, but would rather have a free feat, just say you're a half-whatever and use the human racials but you look like your mom so...

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Right. I've always wondered why people couldn't throw a frost bolt as a cantrip if it's the same damage as a fire bolt.

Ray of frost is a smaller damage die in exchange for slowing down an enemy's movement

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

A lot of systems have this, but D&D spells are surprisingly lacking in customization. There is something very rigid about D&D magic that I hope they address in this upcoming edition.

In the video they discussed spellcasters having access to broad spell types, like arcane or divine, while also getting different spells depending on their class. So perhaps we'll see a bit more variety in that regard. For example I always thought it was weird that sorcerers could cast named wizard spells, since they get their magic from an innate source rather than by learning it.

I hope each spellcaster gets access to unique spells that separate them from one another.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

I mean they sort of already have a basic bolt cantrip for most of the elements. Fire bolt does the most damage but damage is all it does. Ray of Frost trades some for a slow effect, Acid Splash for AoE, and Chill Touch/Shocking Grasp for debuffs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

This should be a sorceror class feature. Elemental Substatution.

Wizards can research custom spells. So they always technically had access to frostball and cone of electricity if they ask nicely.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

I think there is an optional rule, either in the DMG or some supplement liek Taldorei, where the DM can allow you to change the damage type when you learn the spell. The condition is that elemental damage has to stay in the same realm, so Fire Bolt can't become Psychic/Force Bolt.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Rutibex posted:

This should be a sorceror class feature. Elemental Substatution.

Wizards can research custom spells. So they always technically had access to frostball and cone of electricity if they ask nicely.

they made it a metamagic in Tasha’s and made it a subclass feature for scribes wizards (also in Tasha’s)

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
I like the ardlings (maybe not the name "ardling" so much though), but making their appearances uniform across the board compared to tieflings aside from arbitrary animal assignments is kind of boring.

Tieflings get different potential looks depending on their plane/planar group of origin, so I'll probably do the same with ardlings and pull on the old celestial types for inspiration, and add an extra flavour layer on their looks. Maybe something like metallic-looking feature(s) for Heavenly (archons), elemental/environmental for Exalted (eladrin), and Idyllic ... I guess they get to be extra furries or something, lol (guardinals).

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

St0rmD posted:

I mean they sort of already have a basic bolt cantrip for most of the elements. Fire bolt does the most damage but damage is all it does. Ray of Frost trades some for a slow effect, Acid Splash for AoE, and Chill Touch/Shocking Grasp for debuffs.

Fire bolt has 120ft vs Ray of Frost 60ft.
What's more is that the Fire Bolt description includes the ability to target an object and set things on fire whereas Ray of Frost is creature only.

I hope they clean up spells and make things more modular for the player's end rather than needing to DM homebrew stuff.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Why can’t they use Aasimar for the upper planetouched one?

I agree that Ardling sounds dorky as heck

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Also it wouldn't be a new edition without redoing grapple rules. Now the target gets a save every round. That makes it very easy for solo monsters to escape.

No more spending actions for skill checks that monsters always failed because wotc rarely bothers to give monsters any skill proficiency.

You can still drag creatures around, which is where the real op combos come from.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

In a vacuum there's nothing wrong with a player using a frost bolt instead of a firebolt. I suppose you could get into the nitty gritty of some kinds of damage having more common resistance/vulnerability than others but that's a dumb quibble.

If you're asking why a player can't choose the elemental type each time they cast it, that's far more useful than what's intended. At that point monster vulnerability is basically forgone conclusion.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

whydirt posted:

Why can’t they use Aasimar for the upper planetouched one?

I agree that Ardling sounds dorky as heck

Aasimar are just tall pretty people, gently caress'em.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Hardling, but with a thick British accent

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It is funny that Tieflings have been such a consistent concept for several editions now, but their counterparts constantly change. We went from Aasimar to Devas, then back to Aasimar, and now we're at sparklewolves.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Have they given a reason for that? Aasimar seemed fine to me.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Azathoth posted:

Have they given a reason for that? Aasimar seemed fine to me.

They acknowledged that historically in D&D celestials haven't just been "angels" (the aasimon, where "aasimar" comes from), and guardinals (NG celestials) and something like half the archons (LG celestials) have animal traits so why not have that be a feature. Naturally they proceeded to go whole hog on just animal (heads) instead of also incorporating the original eladrin (elemental/environmental/vaguely "fey" themed CG celestials), or details like archons' metallic accoutrements, to liven things up a bit.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I really liked Eladrin, they seemed to have some of the whimsy and wonder of older Elves.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

taichara posted:

They acknowledged that historically in D&D celestials haven't just been "angels" (the aasimon, where "aasimar" comes from), and guardinals (NG celestials) and something like half the archons (LG celestials) have animal traits so why not have that be a feature. Naturally they proceeded to go whole hog on just animal (heads) instead of also incorporating the original eladrin (elemental/environmental/vaguely "fey" themed CG celestials), or details like archons' metallic accoutrements, to liven things up a bit.

Saw someone point out Ardling likely comes from Guardinal.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
One thing I have noticed is that Human and Noble both give the Skilled feat, which can be taken more than once. Admittedly Human also points out you can grab a different 1st level feat. But this does mean a Human Noble could have seven skills trained before taking into effect Class.

I am not really impressed so far. Some of the ideas may be interesting, but both Race and Background seem limited so far. But maybe there will be more to them as you level.

Will have to see higher level feats and most importantly how the classes actually work.

I am actually extremely confused as to why they are doing this this way. They call it a playtest, but this first PDF cannot be played. We need all of the initial building blocks to play, most especially the actual Class part.

Yusin posted:

Saw someone point out Ardling likely comes from Guardinal.

I saw somewhere else that Ardling is like Tiefling and that the Ard part comes from Gaelic, I believe they said, and means something like High. Ard is High where Tief is low.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
should have gone with biblical angels for inspiration on the upper planar tiefling equivalent. A dude with eyeballs and wings all over him, saving the realm

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Ryuujin posted:

One thing I have noticed is that Human and Noble both give the Skilled feat, which can be taken more than once. Admittedly Human also points out you can grab a different 1st level feat. But this does mean a Human Noble could have seven skills trained before taking into effect Class.

I am not really impressed so far. Some of the ideas may be interesting, but both Race and Background seem limited so far. But maybe there will be more to them as you level.

Will have to see higher level feats and most importantly how the classes actually work.

I am actually extremely confused as to why they are doing this this way. They call it a playtest, but this first PDF cannot be played. We need all of the initial building blocks to play, most especially the actual Class part.

In case you missed it, the default assumption is that all backgrounds are customized, and the examples they gave are just that: examples. A "human noble" can have any two 1st-level feats you want.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

NeurosisHead posted:

should have gone with biblical angels for inspiration on the upper planar tiefling equivalent. A dude with eyeballs and wings all over him, saving the realm

Truth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liw5dPKLz60

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Golden Battler posted:

In case you missed it, the default assumption is that all backgrounds are customized, and the examples they gave are just that: examples. A "human noble" can have any two 1st-level feats you want.

I did notice that. But going with the default suggestion for Human and for Noble gives a rather skilled character. Though we don't know exactly how many skills there will be, possibly the same as 5e but also possibly not, nor how many skills classes will get.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Because of Backwards compatibility we can just play these rules with the current versions of the classes.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
The smart play is to use Tasha's races and ODND backgrounds so you can start with +4 +2 at level 1.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Zurreco posted:

The smart play is to use Tasha's races and ODND backgrounds so you can start with +4 +2 at level 1.

they explicitly say no to that lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Call apogee say ardling