Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Power Windows posted:

Speaking of which, I'm surprised Io wasn't on that list considering Shinsuke and Kenny are.

Stardom is way more popular now than it was in Io's tenure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rarity posted:

For anyone not following the New Japan thread Japanese fans have just voted on their top 15 favourite wrestlers. STARDOM had two featured, Mayu at #13 and SLK at #11

It's a TV Asahi poll so they're very heavily bent towards favouring BushiRoad wrestlers. But that's also where the largest audience so, it's probably fairly accurate.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TV Asahi don't have any reason to put over Stardom wrestlers, especially given Tokyo MX is a rival broadcaster.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

TV Asahi don't have any reason to put over Stardom wrestlers, especially given Tokyo MX is a rival broadcaster.

There's two reasons:

1. It's a hot product from their business partner who they want to maintain good relationships with.

2. Stardom wrestlers are going to be on New Japan World (a business they own 50% of) cards in the near future.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

fez_machine posted:

It's a TV Asahi poll so they're very heavily bent towards favouring BushiRoad wrestlers. But that's also where the largest audience so, it's probably fairly accurate.
They've got no reason to be bias towards Stardom, NJPW and Stardom might be under the same umbrella but they've got their own broadcasting deals. It's why Stardom and NJPW probably won't be a package deal any time soon. This isn't like AEW/ROH or DDT/TJPW, it's a lot more complicated

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

fez_machine posted:

There's two reasons:

1. It's a hot product from their business partner who they want to maintain good relationships with.

2. Stardom wrestlers are going to be on New Japan World (a business they own 50% of) cards in the near future.

NJPW have way more reason to stay in good with TV Asahi than TV Asahi have to stay in with NJPW. It's not like pro wrestling is a hot product that other companies are going to be itching to take from them.

Bear in mind TV Asahi own 40% of AbemaTV so they've probably got more stake in putting over CyberFight

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Considering relative attendances it's not that hard to think STARDOM would get some people in there

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Hikaru Shida vs. Suzu Suzuki spoilers:

Hikaru Shida wins, becoming Regina di WAVE champion for the second time. She wants to defend the belt in the US.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I don't think anyone needs a Spoiler warning for Wave. There might be one person on this site that regularly watches them. So I guess Suzu was the Toni Storm this time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I for one appreciate the spoiler.

Of course I've no self-restraint so clicked on I anyway, terrible decision :(

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
WAVE is great and I buy and watch every show. Great cornucopia of talent ran by a bunch of wine mums: perfect combination

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

This image is a thing of beauty.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
More evidence for Sakuraism, I did a self-harm and checked the various responses to the TJPW princes cup final on twitter and all the correct responses (it's fine, still a big push for a relatively new talent (258 career matches is not much for Joshi), everyone's young as hell, disappointment is part of the texture of wrestling) were by people heavily invested in Sakura linked promotions. If you've followed Ice Ribbon and Gatoh Move you've probably become inured to long as hell title reigns held by a few top wrestlers.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fez_machine posted:

More evidence for Sakuraism, I did a self-harm and checked the various responses to the TJPW princes cup final on twitter and all the correct responses (it's fine, still a big push for a relatively new talent (258 career matches is not much for Joshi), everyone's young as hell, disappointment is part of the texture of wrestling) were by people heavily invested in Sakura linked promotions. If you've followed Ice Ribbon and Gatoh Move you've probably become inured to long as hell title reigns held by a few top wrestlers.

TJPW's booking is still absurdly conservative. It's OK to not like that.

I watch Ice Ribbon & still see that

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Most of the Gatoh Move fans I know were the most vocal about this being a bad move: it was the people who watch the more traditional promotions (for lack of a better word - these definitions really lose all meaning at this point) that had the wider context. Probably an indication that these things don’t reflect much of anything.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

forkboy84 posted:

TJPW's booking is still absurdly conservative. It's OK to not like that.

It's not for everyone but imo it is one of the best things about TJPW.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Yeah, the booking really emphasizes how powerful and important achievements are. It makes each wrestler have their own genuine story of struggle and turns things otherwise thought of mundane in booking into small moments of great triumph.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

As long as the Year of Mahiro is finally starting I have no complaints about the current booking direction

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

It's not for everyone but imo it is one of the best things about TJPW.

I'll be honest, I was convinced that Tatsumi had held the PoP belt more than once, & Shoko more than twice, so it's not quite as bad as I thought.

Still think it's daft that they haven't put it on Itoh yet but hey, if it works for the promotions fans then cool.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

forkboy84 posted:

I'll be honest, I was convinced that Tatsumi had held the PoP belt more than once, & Shoko more than twice, so it's not quite as bad as I thought.

Still think it's daft that they haven't put it on Itoh yet but hey, if it works for the promotions fans then cool.

there was def a period where I agreed with the latter but I'm just enjoying the ride now and after going back and watching every maki vs miyu match a few weeks ago I am now more excited for whenever that is rather than a hypothetical title reign, although if it ever does happen it'll be cool.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

As long as the Year of Mahiro is finally starting I have no complaints about the current booking direction

Mahiro getting left to die at first by Kamiyu was so loving great during their match at the finals show.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I don't know I don't really care are about Miu, she a fine wrestler but her act puts me off so I'm not upset at the result but more so what comes next at WP3, it's like "They're doing that again?" It's one of their better matchups but nothing that makes me want to tune in.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

lol

https://twitter.com/dogglesnake/status/1559638169422790659

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
tjpw.gif fans are going to go ballistic next year when Miyu Yamashita beats Maki Itoh in the finals to finally win her first Princess Cup the tenth time around

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Stall_19 posted:

I don't know I don't really care are about Miu, she a fine wrestler but her act puts me off

What's it like being dead inside? :thunkher:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

What's it like being dead inside? :thunkher:

it looks a bit like this:

https://twitter.com/uug_p_miu/status/1302273307505356800

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

How can something so pure create something so evil? :gonk:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Arisa Nakajima got stretchered out at SEAdLINNNG. Wouldn't recommend watching the match

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

It’s just the knee right?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

It sounds like (spoiler for injury) she fell from the top rope onto the floor

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

Shoulder as well apparently

https://twitter.com/suyamahakusyak/status/1559884477350178816?t=sp2dp2XKZRk7FnroI5UaZw&s=19

Spoilers for people who for some reason want to watch the match Hiroyo is the champion now

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
KAIRI will be missing this week's STARDOM shows as she has tested positive for the new COVID variant.

https://twitter.com/KAIRI_official/status/1560461838394896384

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

:negative:

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Ouch, that is a massive loss to that card. I don't even know how they replace her because of how unique that match-up was.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Got a lot of love for the Raku Appreciation Society

https://twitter.com/jimmygabagool/status/1560464080527392769

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Raku and Pom are far from good wrestlers but god bless them, they're trying

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

gently caress. KAIRI vs Saya was going to rule. That's 2 matches this weekend covid has taken

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Give everyone a feel good moment to make up for it and BELT UP NANAE

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Tall Saya will now face fellow STARDOM Golden Generation member Himeka for the White Belt on Sunday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Show starting now looks fun if low stake, I hope Mahiro continues her winning streak

quote:

Hyper Misao vs Moka Miyamoto
Maki Itoh & Miyu Yamashita vs Raku & Yuki Aino
Haruna Neko & Suzume vs Hikari Noa & Nao Kakuta
Kaya Toribami vs Rika Tatsumi
Miu Watanabe vs Pom Harajuku
Arisu Endo, Mizuki & Yuka Sakazaki vs Mahiro Kiryu, Shoko Nakajima & Yuki Kamifuku