Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

35 years from now rednecks will be rolling decibels.

They'll all be reprogrammed to play "La Cucaracha."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Audi and BMW do the same thing with speakers in the exhaust of some cars.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

Deteriorata posted:

They'll all be reprogrammed to play the Dixie horn.

ftfy

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

But if car not loud, how other people know car makes me better than them?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

At least with the sound coming out of a tail pipe you can still shove a potato up there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The best part of the future is going to be hacking fascist cars to make them make tuba sounds when driving down the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4P1kKK-5k

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

I remember people in the hot hatch thread talking about the tubes in the FiST to channel sound into the cabin. You get a quieter ride if you cram socks into them.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I'm not sure how this factors into the Electric Charger noise contraversy: https://www.greencarreports.com/new...20own%20sounds.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I remember people in the hot hatch thread talking about the tubes in the FiST to channel sound into the cabin. You get a quieter ride if you cram socks into them.

The (at least 1st gen) BRZ/FRS has a sound tube that comes into the passenger footwell.
The 12v socket plug above the glove box fits it perfectly, I just used that to block it since I was running wiring for a dash cam anyway.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

I'm not sure how this factors into the Electric Charger noise contraversy: https://www.greencarreports.com/new...20own%20sounds.

“The NHTSA's comments show that, while automakers and regulators seem to agree that EVs should make noises, there is much debate over what kinds of sounds these vehicles should actually make.”

Does somebody have a patent on them white noise buzzers? I wonder how well that would work in a parking lot full of cars all sounding like cats horking up a furball though.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Automakers could have a tiered monthly sound subscription.
String trimmer sounds for the free tier, iron duke for budget tier, 3 or 4 more tiers, plus a bespoke/personal automotive sound design tier for halo cars.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The best part of the future is going to be hacking fascist cars to make them make tuba sounds when driving down the road.

If we can hack fascist cars could we not hack them to yeet the fascists into the sea?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BuckyDoneGun posted:

If we can hack fascist cars could we not hack them to yeet the fascists into the sea?

Is this praxis?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BuckyDoneGun posted:

So... just let them drive Teslas

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Gomi Day posted:

https://twitter.com/BurtoniMotors_/status/1560062087153459200

from a techcrunch article:
"and finally, an exhaust that can reach 126 decibels. Yes, the automaker put an “exhaust” on an EV and gave it a dB that will make it as loud as a Hellcat-powered Dodge by pushing sound through an amplifier and tuning chamber located at the rear of the vehicle."

:gonk:

why is this a thing?
is it some terminal mopar boomer brain thing that any vehicle MUST make growly engine sound even if it's a loving EV?

it's so god drat juvenile and i absolutely can't get my head around it.

Have you met the people who buy Hellcats (and Hemis in general?)
I get it, I absolutely get it. It's just as brilliant a move as GM and the Hummer EV being a massive truckbro. They're not made for the people who already want to buy an EV. I wouldn't use it (weeeeeeellll, maybe once otr twice...) but as long as you can turn it off, and it makes the dudebros buy one and crash it so I can get the drivetrain I'm all for it.

Gros Tarla posted:

Why is that loving sound going outside. Just put the speakers inside dodge, what the gently caress.

Nobody wants to hear your exhaust sound around you. Either fake or real. That was the opportunity to stop pissing everyone one off and they did that?

Again, have you met the people who buy Hellcats?

slidebite posted:

LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

But if car not loud, how other people know car makes me better than them?

See, now they understand.

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

i8, specifically.

edit: I posted a much lengthier, indoor video of the Charger noises over in the Awesome thread.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs4P1kKK-5k

Oh, my dear God this made me hurt myself laughing out loud at work. You just made my day, friend!

edit:

PBCrunch posted:

Killjoys.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nah bro, my Hellcat is 100% real IGBT noise just amplified to 300 dB of shrieking horror.

https://youtu.be/llBI_L21d3g

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I'd pick IGBT tunes over the diarrhea dragon that is the Nissan VQ.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

I'd pick IGBT tunes over the diarrhea dragon that is the Nissan VQ.

hahaha this is great

truly the worst sounding engine of all time

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Darchangel posted:

I should probably service those and the tensioners. Got a little rattle on startup.

That's normal on any mod motor with more than 10 miles.

At least I keep telling myself that.

Giving Tesla a run for their money on QC, by the looks of it.

I don't see anything broken there that would have caused that... but definitely stuff missing. Like the upper ball joint.

e: and the way it failed seems to kinda back that up - the whole assembly rotated before hitting the ground, but still looks fairly centered in the wheel well. So braking while going through a turn with no upper ball joint?

e2: this post on the Rivian Owners Forum suggests they tracked it down to a specific employee's work on a specific day, so I'm guessing they use a system like what we use (where each fastener I touch is logged with my name, torque used, how many attempts were needed, and associated with the VIN).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 20, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

cursedshitbox posted:

diarrhea dragon

I'm totally stealing that for any lovely fart canned JDM wannabe I see

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Saw this guy on the road today

It's like an AutoZone vomited on it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Are those stickers on the tire sidewall?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

david_a posted:

Are those stickers on the tire sidewall?

Probably just some kind of paint pen, no?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
they're probably stickers. people make em specifically for that

gotta make do somehow when modern performance tires dont come in RWL

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Gordon Ramsay has yellow pirelli stickers on the tyres of his 812 and they're impossible to clean and look awful lol. The entire car is a pretty ugly spec tho

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hopefully those tow hooks are attached properly. :ohdear:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hopefully those tow hooks are attached properly. :ohdear:

Don’t worry if they rip off, they will STAY HUMBLE, says so right on the rear window

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

fridge corn posted:

Gordon Ramsay has yellow pirelli stickers on the tyres of his 812 and they're impossible to clean and look awful lol. The entire car is a pretty ugly spec tho

Like this? The yellow stripes on the tyre particularly look bad

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh noes

https://twitter.com/MsReyda/status/1561034574322249728?t=F3RcE4uJsHhHuYEa0x4XGQ&s=19

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

People making unprotected turns in front of oncoming traffic instead of waiting for a clear opening infuriate me. Especially when people turn in front of me and there is not a car in sight behind me.

The Shelby owner deserved that. The driver of the other car definitely doesn't deserve the stress that is going to be inflicted upon them.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol owned

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

knox_harrington posted:

Like this? The yellow stripes on the tyre particularly look bad

That's a Competizione and it comes standard with the yellow stripes on the tyres or it's an option idk. Ramsay's 812 is a Superfast which doesnt and he added them on after the fact but yeah, they look like that but even worse up close

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

On the plus side since this is LA, there's only a 25% chance it's a real Shelby coupe..

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Also the rear end in a top hat was trying to make a u turn instead of just turning around in a parking lot safely

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nice car. Shame about the idiot gently caress owner.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

Nice car. Shame about the idiot gently caress owner.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Also the rear end in a top hat was trying to make a u turn instead of just turning around in a parking lot safely

U-turns at traffic lights freaked me the hell out in LA, and it makes perfect sense for them to be illegal like they are here.

unprotected lefts are dangerous enough, adding in the uncertainty of what the person in front of you is going to do is madness.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Powershift posted:

U-turns at traffic lights freaked me the hell out in LA, and it makes perfect sense for them to be illegal like they are here.

unprotected lefts are dangerous enough, adding in the uncertainty of what the person in front of you is going to do is madness.

Los Angeles has a TON of unprotected left turns which means you have to ease into the intersection, wait for the light to turn red, and then complete your left turn.

Stupid loving city.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's what killed the Rangie in Pasadena almost a decade ago. Stupid loving kid in his brothers paid-for-with-cash brand new Q50s thought that he making the left had the right away against oncoming traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MetaJew posted:

Los Angeles has a TON of unprotected left turns which means you have to ease into the intersection, wait for the light to turn red, and then complete your left turn.

Stupid loving city.

imo this is bad road design AND bad driver behavior. lots of people excuse this but you shouldnt even pull into the intersection if you cant fully clear it immediately.