Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The Office recently cycled back around from season 9 to season 1 so I've been watching the earlier seasons, and wow -- I never realized just how much of Pam's character is disliking Roy & liking/loving Jim. Seriously, what are her personality traits? Art is a hobby/interest, so it doesn't quite count.

Roy is an inconsiderate airheaded chud with a heart of gold, while Jim is a sarcastic, obsessive bully -- what the hell is Pam? :psyduck:

Lots and lots and lots of shows with heterosexual couples forget to give the woman a personality, and maybe it's extra obvious on The Office because every other couple (except Darryl/Val :sigh:) is an exception to that rule.

edit: I bet this is stuff people have brought up before since they aren't exactly groundbreaking observations and the show is well over a decade old, I just need a place to vent and I've only recently started picking it apart

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Scavengers’ Reign is probably dead, but I haven’t heard it mentioned in all the cancellations yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CADHf3kPnjA

This is probably the thing I'm most sad about.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, that and Fired On Mars were the two animated HBO shows I was most looking forward to.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

I just don't get how it was available for sale and Amazon didn't try to spend all the money to get it.

As far as I understand it, this deal only encompasses the LOTR and Hobbit novel rights - the movie rights are with Warner, and the expanded universe (Silmarillion, Children of Hurin) lies with the Tolkien estate.

So, in the case where Amazon wants to make a new show that is set way before the novels and is not directly related to those stories outside of characters mentioned in the appendices (which is the only stuff they actually can use, not sure how those rights work), buying the rights to the novels wouldn't really make much of a difference for them. It would only really allow them to make new spin-offs set DURING the time of LOTR and The Hobbit, but without anything you'd recognize from the existing films, so it doesn't seem particularly worthwhile.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 19, 2022

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Netflix has released a bonus Sandman episode, adapting A Dream of a Thousand Cats and Calliope.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God dammit Netflix I’m trying to cross shows off my list don’t add extra episodes the day after I finish the season

Otherwise: very cool!!!!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought Sandman was pretty uneven, but goddamn The Sound of Her Wings was a great episode. And also almost entirely self-contained which is a weird thing to say about a Netflix show. If nothing else that made the whole thing worth it for me.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SimonChris posted:

Netflix has released a bonus Sandman episode, adapting A Dream of a Thousand Cats and Calliope.

Hakkesshu posted:

I thought Sandman was pretty uneven, but goddamn The Sound of Her Wings was a great episode. And also almost entirely self-contained which is a weird thing to say about a Netflix show. If nothing else that made the whole thing worth it for me.

Sandman is really at it's best with short arcs and single issue stories. Someone said Morpheus is basically the Cryptkeeper and that is true. I'm looking forward to more stories like these (Emperor Norton is another great one).

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Today I learned that I have no idea who is who when it comes to Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, and Paul WS Anderson. :doh:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Read After Burning posted:

Today I learned that I have no idea who is who when it comes to Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, and Paul WS Anderson. :doh:

Paul WS Anderson makes masterpieces, that’s all you need to know

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Paul WS Anderson makes masterpieces, that’s all you need to know

I hella confused my partner with "that director that makes all the quirky twee movies" and he just stared at me and went "....Resident Evil is quirky and twee?"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wes: super twee bespoke

PTA: 70s Los Angeles nostalgia

Paul WS: Married to Milla Jovovich. If you see her in a movie then it's a 50% chance he directed it.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Mu Zeta posted:

Paul WS: Married to Milla Jovovich.

Clearly the most talented/successful of the bunch.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1560672949610299393?s=20&t=Ex6MzzsYavD8bfuYpnZ0xw

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1560672440040161280

Did Alan Rickman's Sheriff of Nottingham purchase HBOMax

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are they just dumping these for other networks to pick up or shelving them in a closet but keeping the rights so the creators have no options?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

Are they just dumping these for other networks to pick up or shelving them in a closet but keeping the rights so the creators have no options?

They have to dumpster them to ensure they count as writeoffable "lost profits"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was a Business Insider (I think) article that explained the write off process for these media properties. I think it's called a "write down" in this case and if they are written down they are legally unable to release them in any way that makes money.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rhyno posted:

There was a Business Insider (I think) article that explained the write off process for these media properties. I think it's called a "write down" in this case and if they are written down they are legally unable to release them in any way that makes money.

That includes selling them, btw. They're not allowed to sell anything they "write down". Which is why the only way you'll ever see Batgirl is if someone over there leaks it. Only not like the Deadpool leak, which was done to drive up interest in making a full movie, since there is no incentive here to do anything real with it. So I guess more like the Roger Cormon F4 leak, which was leaked just for shits and giggles by someone, I think?

Which is also why I'm sure this Sesame Street thing doesn't apply. They just stopped airing a portion (less than half) of their episodes. It's not the same thing that they did with Batgirl and Scoob 2, which were "write downs".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Then they just did it so they didn't have to pay residuals? Dicks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s genuinely despicable

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
At some point it has to backfire right? Like enough people stop renewing and a loss of subscribers has to be worse for them right?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

are they cutting things that people are going to care about in bulk?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

are they cutting things that people are going to care about in bulk?

Probably the other way around. By cutting so much they're going to hit a few things for a lot of people and gently caress up their reputation. There was a write up about 10 years ago about Fox becoming "The Network That Cancels All The Good Shows I Like" and how they hit a point for a few years where every new debut of theirs failed to launch because so many people just assumed it'd get canceled and didn't want to get invested in it.

I'd imagine that they're going to go back to old HBO where people hop on for a month or two to watch what they want and then bounce unless they're a fanatic for certain shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, and their choice just not to explain the metrics / logic behind this at all, even with some sort of dumb obvious lie, just really isn't helping their case. It's just inviting confusion and frustration.

feel like poo poo just want my forty year old lady pretends to be a closeted teen boy comedy show

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I wonder how the contract to sell Sesame Street to HBO was worded, and I can only hope it matches the granddaddy of all in perpetuity contracts: The 700 Club will always be on The Family ChannelFox FamilyABC Family Freeform.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, and their choice just not to explain the metrics / logic behind this at all, even with some sort of dumb obvious lie, just really isn't helping their case. It's just inviting confusion and frustration.

feel like poo poo just want my forty year old lady pretends to be a closeted teen boy comedy show

The problem is probably that saying too much about it makes them look horrible. This CNBC writeup I jacked from another thread has unsourced inside info that's consolidating the rumors that were floating around.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/19/heres-why-hbo-max-is-pulling-dozens-of-films-and-tv-series-from-its-streaming-platform.html

Aside from the full on tax write offs they want to gut a bunch of content to weasel out of paying residuals which is not going to play well with people who liked the shows...and it's a lot of shows. And also they just don't want to do kids content anymore, apparently. Which is an interesting choice considering they own Cartoon Network. That seems like a really harsh change in direction that'll piss off a lot of people and remove value for parents right before they do the merger and presumably jack up the price. Guess it's easier than just advertising the service though.

I also thought they mostly saved Seasame Street for goodwill purposes, but maybe they think that well has ran dry.

And also if the article is right they just assume people want less content. It's just decluttering. Sure, they could make a better discovery interface but if there are a lot less shows then it's easier to find what you want to watch *tap head meme*.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sesame Street streaming on HBO Max always felt like a weird marriage.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Ironically, Sesame Street on Discovery+ would be perfectly on brand.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Halfway through season 3 of search party and I’m kinda wondering what the theme/point is of the show.

dorys family was just on the tv show. My take is that the theme is everyone is just fake and will do whatever they can to self persevere for their best interests. Maybe it’s something to do with millennials can do no wrong since the parents are protecting her on the show as well?

I dunno-just getting tired of it and not sure where else they can go.

Dory is also getting annoying by how “smart” she comes across if that makes sense?

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 20, 2022

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Anywhere you think the show is going is probably very wrong.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Everywhere. That show goes everywhere and always tops itself. If you think it has gone far enough it will always go further.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The Rehearsal got renewed for season 2, despite them having no idea what a season 2 would even look like

https://tvline.com/2022/08/19/the-rehearsal-renewed-season-2-hbo-nathan-fielder/

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

swickles posted:

At some point it has to backfire right? Like enough people stop renewing and a loss of subscribers has to be worse for them right?

If nothing else it'll pretty much ensure no creative types will ever want to do business with them again, which I imagine is probably even more disastrous for them in the long run. WBD isn't the only game in town and everyone who hasn't been living under a rock must know by now that any project they greenlight is basically a rugpull scam waiting to happen. They'll go to whoever can promise and deliver checks that won't bounce, even if that means putting up with the House of Mouse.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mu Zeta posted:

Paul WS: Married to Milla Jovovich. If you see her in a movie then it's a 50% chance he directed it.

I once heard Paul WS explained as,"Guy who just wants to make movies showing off how awesome his wife is" and I gotta say, I respect the hell out of that.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

The ending to the first season of The Rehearsal was absolutely terrific

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

STAC Goat posted:

It's been an HBO show since 2016 so it's not like it's a new thing.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, although HBO is a lot more accessible now that it's just another streaming network. If I put myself back in kid me's shoes it's still wild that you can get HBO and the Disney Channel on demand for a flat monthly fee instead of having to buy premium cable and extra packages.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dorium posted:

The ending to the first season of The Rehearsal was absolutely terrific

Absolutely wreaked havoc with my emotions. Holy poo poo dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nwin posted:

Halfway through season 3 of search party and I’m kinda wondering what the theme/point is of the show.

dorys family was just on the tv show. My take is that the theme is everyone is just fake and will do whatever they can to self persevere for their best interests. Maybe it’s something to do with millennials can do no wrong since the parents are protecting her on the show as well?

I dunno-just getting tired of it and not sure where else they can go.

Dory is also getting annoying by how “smart” she comes across if that makes sense?

I wouldn't say Dory is exactly "smart" there, more like extremely manipulative which was IMO the theme of this season, she really goes above and beyond

Obviously YMMV but I just got to S5 and it's still pretty wild. It changes significantly every season so maybe S4 would be more interesting.