Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The answer is "they don't care and all they needed was some statement that shoehorned in the words 'women' and 'sorry.'"

But rhetorically, what exactly is this theoretical interpretation of Watson's apology? I'm sorry that I got involved with so many untrustworthy massage therapists that would later inflict trauma on women via their false accusations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I honestly feel bad for the Browns players, at least the ones who were there before Watson was traded. They’re all gonna be asked about this and what can they even say that isn’t uncomfortable at best?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1560324629767639045

ya think?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
After the Watson trade, the Steelers aren’t the only team in the division with a terrible towel.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

fsif posted:

But rhetorically, what exactly is this theoretical interpretation of Watson's apology? I'm sorry that I got involved with so many untrustworthy massage therapists that would later inflict trauma on women via their false accusations?

You put more time and thought into this PR word salad designed to head off protests to the NFL's and Watson's sponsors than whatever intern that actually wrote that poo poo did.

So did I. gently caress.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I honestly feel bad for the Browns players, at least the ones who were there before Watson was traded. They’re all gonna be asked about this and what can they even say that isn’t uncomfortable at best?

The only guy left from before the teardown

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1558851494014754817?s=20&t=AjXKac4UhHtoSUkI3BHV4w

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

the brock turner discourse really made a dent on how things were done, huh

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

the brock turner discourse really made a dent on how things were done, huh

This excuse in the context of sports goes back before any of our parents were born.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This excuse in the context of sports goes back before any of our parents were born.

oh absolutely, it's just... would've been nice if it abated for once

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

I feel like some press talking points got fed to Browns players, staff, and friendly media to push this "Cleveland against the media" narrative and it's so annoying.

On a different note, I get some darkly comedic vibes from this fine being unprecedentedly large and simultaneously way too small.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/JennyVrentas/status/1560362486330695680

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
And people said he learned nothing

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Well he definitely learned something but not anything good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kirios posted:

I'm a Texans fan and even I am disgusted with how much they're being ignored (and in fact, largely benefitting) from this whole thing. It's gross.

Being ignored is kind of the Texans' superpower

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I really can't believe they aren't fining the Texans at all. Even if it's just a monetary fine. They facilitated all of this. Remember when they fired their award winning PR department? I will bet anything the woman running PR got word of this and absolutely tore everyone in the org a new one. Yea, the Browns are bad because they traded for him AND gave him that contract along with every statement they've made since trading for him, but man the Texans deserve some sort of punishment here.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm going to kill the NFL

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

having some shirts made,

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Maybe the Browns historical shittiness has just been advance karma for signing Deshaun Watson.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I wondered what 11 weeks came from, it seemed like an odd punishment given the propensity for even or round numbers. Then when I saw that he comes back for the Texans game, I laughed. Just when you thought you couldn't be surprised at how cold-blooded and cynical the NFL could be, they pull it out of the hat.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

having some shirts made,

He’s coaching in XFL 3.0, op

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

GD_American posted:

I wondered what 11 weeks came from, it seemed like an odd punishment given the propensity for even or round numbers.

Cowherd was speculating this morning that if it had been 10 games his first game back would’ve been against Tom Brady and the Bucs and they didn’t want that kind of circus so by adding another week to be against the probably out-of-contention Texans a lot fewer eyeballs will be on it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ragnarok the Red posted:

Cowherd was speculating this morning that if it had been 10 games his first game back would’ve been against Tom Brady and the Bucs and they didn’t want that kind of circus so by adding another week to be against the probably out-of-contention Texans a lot fewer eyeballs will be on it.

...the Texans game is the dumbest one to choose if that’s the rational.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

...the Texans game is the dumbest one to choose if that’s the rational.

Bro yeah bro totally.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The thing where it’s the maximum number they could do without loving over the Browns in 2023 makes the most sense of any wild speculation, imo. Tried to thread the needle and instead just made all sides maximum mad

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Make it 11 games per year for the life of the contract

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

having some shirts made,

Bahgawd, that's Kermit Washington's music!

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Intruder posted:

Make it 11 games per year for the life of the contract

That's actually probably worse than being suspended for a year and I love it.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Tell the refs to emphasize offensive holding and DPI and let defenses know it's open season like with Cam

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

The thing where it’s the maximum number they could do without loving over the Browns in 2023 makes the most sense of any wild speculation, imo. Tried to thread the needle and instead just made all sides maximum mad

Wasn't it that its the max they can do and still kinda gently caress them? If it was 12 he wouldn't accrue a year and they'd get to pay him 1m next year instead of 46

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Docjowles posted:

11 games does pretty much gently caress their season, which sucks for the other 53 players that had nothing to do with Watson putting his dick on people. I can’t see them finishing above Baltimore and Cincy. The Steelers will probably be bad, which might be their only saving grace at a wild card shot. But who knows, because Tomlin is a wizard.

NFL should have just said “yeah he’s done” and given him the Josh Gordon treatment. Could Roger have just left him on the exempt list for all of eternity?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 19, 2022

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yes the way it's written but you have to remember he's the tool of 32 owners and so they're not gonna want him to exercise that power that way. Even if all 31 really hate this (and they do for the guaranteed deal if nothing else) they're not gonna set that precedent

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

fast cars loose anus posted:

Yes the way it's written but you have to remember he's the tool of 32 owners and so they're not gonna want him to exercise that power that way. Even if all 31 really hate this (and they do for the guaranteed deal if nothing else) they're not gonna set that precedent

They only care so far as how it looks, if they think there’s more money to be made by having him play, that’s what they’ll do.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Wat - Son Ra - Pist sounds like a great football chant.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Hizawk posted:

Wat - Son Ra - Pist sounds like a great football chant.

I make bad decisions and have Texans season tickets and we’re leaning towards ‘No means no’

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Dramatika posted:

I make bad decisions and have Texans season tickets and we’re leaning towards ‘No means no’

The Jacksonville chant was fine

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Someone needs to plant some weed on Watson or frame him for betting on a game.

The NFL will punish him for those terrible crimes that are much worse than sexuality assaulting 25 women

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I have never wanted an injury to a player in my life. Not really. But that ends today. gently caress that motherfucker.

An absolutely crushing shot to the sack will be the only suitable injury.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
An NFL stadium chanting "YOU SICK gently caress" whenever Deshaun is on the field like the way English Soccer teams sing their team's songs would be magnificent to see. I guess they would have to censor it on the broadcast.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

An NFL stadium chanting "YOU SICK gently caress" whenever Deshaun is on the field like the way English Soccer teams sing their team's songs would be magnificent to see. I guess they would have to censor it on the broadcast.

Making it so Cleveland Browns games can't be shown on TV would be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hizawk posted:

Making it so Cleveland Browns games can't be shown on TV would be hilarious.

Also a good idea why have we waited so long?