Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I am hyped about Justin DMing a game set in Disney World.

Also lol at Griffin telling people who forgot they were playing characters to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

yea of all the people to share your name with a silly lil guy who's main brand is 'hey you like eating trash and haunted dolls, right dude?' is a pretty good one. Better than that Media Matters dude who shares a name with Matt Gaetz who gets "SIR YOU ARE GOING TO JAIL!!!!!!" DMs constantly

That one is extra funny because his name isn't even Gaetz, it's Gertz

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Dust 2 might bring me back. I fell off of Ethersea because it wasn't grabbing me at first, but then by the time I thought about catching up I didn't remember the information from the prologue at all, or where I had stopped listening.

I guess I'll probably get back into it next time I take a long road trip and need stuff to listen to, but I loved the first Dust so I'm on board for more ghost cashew weirdness.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

stromboni posted:

That one is extra funny because his name isn't even Gaetz, it's Gertz

Yeah the Matt Gertz thing is just extra stupid people, its the other Jon Jones that i really feel bad for

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

QuoProQuid posted:

people trying to psycho-analyze their family via their shows.

most of their decisions and justifications here are bad but this thing people do is dumb as poo poo

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

QuoProQuid posted:

some of the bigger points of the adventure zone zone on ethersea.

* Almost all of the final episodes were recorded as one big continuous batch to accommodate Griffin moving
* Griffin intentionally moved away from mission-based storytelling because he didn't think it lent itself to a cohesive overarching narrative.
* The Natural 1 did, indeed, disrupt Griffin's vision for the season. However, he realized when he was putting it together that he didn't want to do a pandemic storyline in the middle of a pandemic and pivoted it to a god fight.
* They actually like that they went from rando contractors to saviors of the world?
* Clint had an in character reason not to tell Amber about the Blink Sharks and then forgot about the Blink Sharks between episodes
* The final arc sounds like it was going to be smaller, more mystery-oriented (they interrogated Brother Seldom), and involve them going to the school (which exploded?) instead of doing their weird Brinar tower thing.
* Griffin envisioned that the rival crew found one of the other contingency plan cities but they never wound up using it so that storyline is now noncanonical.
* There were a lot of problems with the Cambria flashback ("one of the worst play experiences we had") because Griffin told Justin before they started that he was the saboteur and then was secretly working behind the scenes to help Justin succeed in sabotaging the mission.
* Justin was personally annoyed with Devo but thought that he wasn't intentionally supposed to be annoying until very late in the game, which is why Amber's hatred for Devo came in so fast and hard. Also Devo "wanted a mother figure approval thing" which is kind of ugggghhhh
* They think that it was good that the crew kind of hated each other and that it contributed to fun conflict
* They're really pissed off about people trying to psycho-analyze their family via their shows.
* Devo was even more special than revealed in fiction.

i don't really agree with a lot of their takes and decisions but it was interesting to listen to.

Also, they're going back to Dust with Erika Ishii, who is great.

The Dust thing is 5 episodes that are already recorded, and then Justin's going to GM an arc, so we'll see how that turns out.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Everything makes a bit more sense with this episode. In general Griffin's past year and a half being a pretty sizeable whirlwind thing paints things a lot.

Some things we didn't get/things that got tossed that sound fuckin awesome, those hurt. I'd have loved to get some of those.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shinjobi posted:

Everything makes a bit more sense with this episode. In general Griffin's past year and a half being a pretty sizeable whirlwind thing paints things a lot.

Some things we didn't get/things that got tossed that sound fuckin awesome, those hurt. I'd have loved to get some of those.

I haven't caught up with Wonderful, but for a while there after Gus was born it sounded like their life was basically a waking nightmare, between the house freezing/flooding, Gus being a very difficult baby, and then all their actual work and trying to get back to touring.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

my personal attitude toward ethersea is that i don't think the finished product wound up being very good but i am sympathetic to the circumstances under which it was made and at least understand the logic behind it, structurally and character by character

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zero One posted:

I joked earlier but they really should use a Da Vinci's Notebook song for this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SV_njZdEdw

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The brothers saw my comments about losing interest in tabletop gameplay podcasts (is there an actual term for this genre?) and are doing the two things that could pull me back in, well played gentlemen.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The brothers saw my comments about losing interest in tabletop gameplay podcasts (is there an actual term for this genre?) and are doing the two things that could pull me back in, well played gentlemen.

they call them "actual play" podcasts

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Zero One posted:

Also lol at Griffin telling people who forgot they were playing characters to gently caress off.

On one hand I totally get that and that sort of thing can be super damaging to your psyche and mental well being. On the other I can’t believe that Clint “forgot” about the blink shark thing to back door sabotage the campaign and put marital stress on whoever it was that was running for the WV state legislature.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Zero One posted:

Not just DMing a game in Disney World, but a game about "scoundrels" chosen in part because Justin misses early Balance dickery.

(God remember them being a dick to Jenkins all arc?)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Or how much of a jerk they were to Angus, the little boy detective. There was definitely a change in tone/how they treated the NPCs about halfway through Balance.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
they learned their lesson after the untimely death of the noble BoyLand

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Empty Sandwich posted:

they learned their lesson after the untimely death of the noble BoyLand

Wait, didn't BoyLand show up once for an intro scene and then the next time we saw him he was crystal?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Fil5000 posted:

Wait, didn't BoyLand show up once for an intro scene and then the next time we saw him he was crystal?

and they spent a long time making fun of his dead rear end but then learned he had 100 sons and a daughter or something

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Blades in the Dark is kind of an odd pick for trying to recapture dick and fart joke early Balance. It's a game where you're a career criminal trying to bank enough cash to retire before you get killed by a rival gang or are overcome by too much post-traumatic stress to function anymore.

I get they're using a custom setting and have always ignored the rules if they get in the way of a good story beat, but it wouldn't have been my first choice.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

Blades in the Dark is kind of an odd pick for trying to recapture dick and fart joke early Balance. It's a game where you're a career criminal trying to bank enough cash to retire before you get killed by a rival gang or are overcome by too much post-traumatic stress to function anymore.

I get they're using a custom setting and have always ignored the rules if they get in the way of a good story beat, but it wouldn't have been my first choice.

One of the core things to Blades is that, inevitably, one of the PCs will end up in jail. Then you roll a new character for a time until your main guy gets out. And the dude you played while in jail is now an NPC and part of your gang. Pretty cool.

I doubt the Mcelroy's will do that. But I think the more narrative nature of the system otherwise will work great for them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Money Zone was more blasphemous than usual this week.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I really do enjoy McElroy content but sometimes I feel like they try to pretend they’re still small time while charging 160.00 god drat dollars for a photo at DragonCon

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

omg chael crash posted:

I really do enjoy McElroy content but sometimes I feel like they try to pretend they’re still small time while charging 160.00 god drat dollars for a photo at DragonCon

:psyduck: what??

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

omg chael crash posted:

If I pay that much, will Griffin do an improv song about me on the spot? Because otherwise I'll just keep my $160

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I think that's been the case since forever ago. They even mentioned it live somewhere that they couldn't do meet and greets anymore because of too many people.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wasabi the J posted:

I think that's been the case since forever ago. They even mentioned it live somewhere that they couldn't do meet and greets anymore because of too many people.

Yeah I don't blame em.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
For $160 I'd rather have Griffin write me a jingle tbh

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I mean I wouldn't pay it either way, but it's $160 for all 6 of them attending (boys + Clint + Theresa + Rachel) to be in the photo, which is similar to what other groups are charging. :shrug:

$65 for a photo with Harvey Guillen by himself though... now that I'd do

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'll just get a photo with them by flagging them down in the street during their day to day lives. They love that.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Stroop There It Is posted:

I mean I wouldn't pay it either way, but it's $160 for all 6 of them attending (boys + Clint + Theresa + Rachel) to be in the photo, which is similar to what other groups are charging. :shrug:

$65 for a photo with Harvey Guillen by himself though... now that I'd do

It’s only 110$ for the trio (or as the website puts it McElroy & McElroy & McElroy)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Who What Now posted:

I'll just get a photo with them by flagging them down in the street during their day to day lives. They love that.

If you just hang out near a Margaritaville Justin will show up eventually

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Armitag3 posted:

It’s only 110$ for the trio (or as the website puts it McElroy & McElroy & McElroy)

According to that website the trio is Clint, Justin and Travis. Gotta go for the McElroy Quad for that sweet baby brother

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Party Boat posted:

According to that website the trio is Clint, Justin and Travis. Gotta go for the McElroy Quad for that sweet baby brother

lol Griffin is the holofoil McElroy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
top ‘roy

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Griffin "shortpacked" McElroy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Griffin “no lowballs, I know what I have” McElroy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol Griffin is the holofoil McElroy

Would Justin or Clint be the official first edition

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Shinjobi posted:

Would Justin or Clint be the official first edition

Clint is the legacy that's banned in tournaments, Justin is the new edition

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You're normally supposed to only get Griffin as a preorder bonus but you can glitch him into your party if you don't mind him overwriting Travis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Hey everyone, vegansaltimbocca here with another speedrunning tip. So here you're going to want to sequence break Griffin in the party with the 30 under 30 overflow glitch, where we make the game think we have 0 Totino's pizza rolls but actually we're maxed out at 30 plus 1, then you're gonna