Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Hahahaha respect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jippa posted:

loving hell. This guy must have been doing a good job. :stare: He worked for over 10 years. He must have been amazing in interviews.

Next Leader of the Conservative Party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

He was jailed for two years in 2017 - where the court heard the disgraced led an "outwardly prestigious life based on a staggering series of lies" - after holding top jobs in the NHS.
Prison for IDS when?

amideadyet posted:

Labour is also Tories, though.
Yeah the Tories will just come back as Noo-Noo Labour like they did last time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Diet Crack posted:

When the mouthbreathers figure out that Brexit actually won't deliver on anything they wanted, all while simultaneously becoming poorer and worse off - maybe, just MAYBE they'll stop being such subservient idiots. But this is Britain so chances are slim on Bootlicker Isle.

Also get bit by a cyclist Shapps. Twat.

I feel like you don't understand how deep "Brexit can't fail, Brexit can only be failed" runs. A sizeable amount of the British public are absolutely convinced with the force of divine truth that if we just did Brexit right, we wouldn't be in this mess, and the way out is through.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jippa posted:

Despite obtaining the six figure salary, the only qualifications he had were a higher education certificate in social work from the 1970s and a PGCE in teaching.

Only people that went to the right universities deserve that salary :nono:

Sounds more qualified than the people that gave him the job without checking anything.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol @ "Walty Mitty". Also, that's not how Walter Mitty acted. If anything it's like a Tom Ripley kinda thing?

quote:

He beat off dozens off candidates to land the roles

Yeah, definitely Tom Ripley

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

How dare a pleb lie their way to the top, that's our thing!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
^^^^
Yeah can't see what this guy did differentely.

Jippa posted:

loving hell. This guy must have been doing a good job. :stare: He worked for over 10 years. He must have been amazing in interviews.

Fake it till you make it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What's Owen Smith up to these days, anyway?

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

It's pretty much the opposite of Walter Mitty. All he did was imagine himself out of his drudgery, and don't we all? I know I play my guitar to sellout stadiums in my mind, but in truth my dog slinks out the room when I even reach in its general direction.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Thatcher was a scientist and could read graphs, I wonder if she would promote the whole "net zero by 2050" bullshit.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Thatcher also knew she’d be dead by 2050 so why bother

She also spawned and whatever love her black void could muster she did care for them.

Also she was apparently one of the first proponents of combating climate change apparently? https://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2013/apr/09/margaret-thatcher-green-hero

I knew she was a vocal supporter of combating climate change. Might also have balked at us having to pay Arabs so much money for oil.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's a shame she did it by knackering so many local communities. She could have used all that North Sea money to do a mass nuclear and geothermal building program involving existing shipyards, steelworks, brickworks, mine engineers etc. and sold it more as building their own lasting monuments than digging their own graves.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Lying about ones competence in order to get a job is illegal? This is very disturbing.

'The court heard he had made "significant progress" at the hospice but had "not actively done any damage" during his time in the roles.'

Really trying to avoid saying "yeah, he did a good job despite not belonging to the old boys network we usually recruit from"

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

How unsurprising that happened in Cornwall of all places

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

sinky posted:

Lying about ones competence in order to get a job is illegal? This is very disturbing.

What actual book learning do you need to be a chief exec though?

It's not like a professional job where you can objectively gently caress up like a doctor giving the wrong meds or an architect making the walls the wrong height. Always seems to me like these positions are more about knowing how to manage people and having enough "common sense" to let institutional inertia and the mass of actually qualified individuals working for you push things through. Skills which some people seem to be born with and don't need to attend hours of management theory sessions to learn.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

It's a shame she did it by knackering so many local communities. She could have used all that North Sea money to do a mass nuclear and geothermal building program involving existing shipyards, steelworks, brickworks, mine engineers etc. and sold it more as building their own lasting monuments than digging their own graves.

Which is where the limits of "praise" lie - she had the smarts, she used it to gently caress us.

The two candidates have the dumbs, and they're going to gently caress us.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Either this guy is an incredible mind who can turn his hand to anything, or top exec jobs that we have to pay hundreds of thousands for in order to "attract the best talent" are not actually that hard or important. :thunk:

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Didn’t know it was illegal to lie in interviews, maybe they should have actually checked his qualifications and references

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

Either this guy is an incredible mind who can turn his hand to anything, or top exec jobs that we have to pay hundreds of thousands for in order to "attract the best talent" are not actually that hard or important. :thunk:

It's more do you have the gift of the gab and (for NHS Trusts) your local connections to get things done.

So say a Trust wants to build a new children's hospice and the local landowner doesn't want to sell. A CEO might be someone who went to school with them and could persuade them to let it go. Or someone who knows how to send a few friends and a horse over to make the fella an offer he can't refuse.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I don't even think it's that.
The CEO of an NHS Trust is usually someone who's worked as an NHS professional for years (clinician or manager) and made their way up the ladder. They're not necessarily the same as the CEO of a corporation (no matter how much all govts since Blair have wanted them to be), and they certainly wouldn't financially benefit from being able to influence people on property (and lol that an NHS Trust or hospice could afford to buy land). Having local connections is helpful, but hardly essential to the role.

This guy got done because he lied about his qualifications and presumably his references. Would he have got the jobs without lying? Probably not, but even if he did a decent job, the whole point of having those things in place is that it provides some sort of security that you're not just hiring someone who's going to start selling off assets to a company registered in the Caymans.
I'd normally say "Hopefully HR at those Trusts have been given some training on how to spot bullshit references", but if their HR is anything like the norm, they've probably gone through at least a hundred staff since.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My recent perambulations round supermarkets are leading me to the conclusion that dairy products in particular are escalating in price maybe 30% in a month!
(I consume a lot of dairy).
Trying to cut down but it's hard when those big pots of Greek yog ('essentials' brands) are calling at me from the shop fridges.

yes some yogurt pots i like were 1.80 then 2.15 and now 2.50 over approximately 6 months

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I hope the guy writes a book about how he got away with it for so long and Netflix make a series on it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Catch Me If You Can Be Bothered

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

Didn’t know it was illegal to lie in interviews, maybe they should have actually checked his qualifications and references

I guess it is basically fraud, yeah, if not directly then he probably signed a contract with a lot of "accurate to the best of my knowledge" kind of wording.

Which just makes him cooler imo

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Microplastics posted:

Catch Me If You Can Be Bothered

Catch Me If You Cannula

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My recent perambulations round supermarkets are leading me to the conclusion that dairy products in particular are escalating in price maybe 30% in a month!
(I consume a lot of dairy).
Trying to cut down but it's hard when those big pots of Greek yog ('essentials' brands) are calling at me from the shop fridges.
Noticed in Asda today that their own-brand butter has gone up 30p since I last bought some a few weeks ago (£2.20 to £2.50).

Meanwhile, one shelf below, Lurpak is £5 for the same size carton. What the actual? It's butter! Exactly the same substance! 1: how do they justify charging twice as much, and 2: who the hell would buy the Lurpak over the Asda?

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I feel like you don't understand how deep "Brexit can't fail, Brexit can only be failed" runs. A sizeable amount of the British public are absolutely convinced with the force of divine truth that if we just did Brexit right, we wouldn't be in this mess, and the way out is through.

Also I feel like a lot of people have a violent aversion to being wrong about something so they'll just double down until the discussion moves on.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1560610249035223041

:guillotine:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

evict them and do what exactly, replace them with more people who also can't afford to pay the rent?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

What's Owen Smith up to these days, anyway?

Lobbyist for a private healthcare company I believe. Wait, no, a pharmaceutical company, Bristol-Myers Squibb. Who are "currently the subject of a $1 billion lawsuit from Guatemala for "roles in a 1940s U.S. government experiment that infected hundreds of Guatemalans with syphilis"" according to their wikipedia page

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The last couple of days I've had military jets flying over my house (near Tonbridge in Kent), having never had any related activity at all in the four years I've lived here. What's going on?! Where's twisto when you need him?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

The last couple of days I've had military jets flying over my house (near Tonbridge in Kent), having never had any related activity at all in the four years I've lived here. What's going on?! Where's twisto when you need him?

The US moved some B-52 bombers over to the UK this week, don't panic. :ohdear: :derp:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Are Mick Lynch, Eddie Dempsey, and the RMT tankies/Putin apologists?

Just asking questions (this seems to be the line the "moderates" are taking to discredit Mick and friends for some loving reason)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

notaspy posted:

Are Mick Lynch, Eddie Dempsey, and the RMT tankies/Putin apologists?

Just asking questions (this seems to be the line the "moderates" are taking to discredit Mick and friends for some loving reason)

Who cares? A trade union isn't deciding our foreign policy.

No, really, it's an irrelevant question, a pure distraction to discredit the strongest trade union in this country since probably the end of the 70s. As far as I can tell Lynch is, like many on the left, deeply sceptical of western foreign policy, which is all it actually takes to be called a tankie by liberal interventionists. But it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is this: is he doing the best job he can for his members? And the answer is yes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

You live near biggin hill and you just missed a 2 day air show (or got free tickets, depending on how you look at it).

e: huh, they usually hold it around this time but apparently not this year so maybe you just got lucky

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mick! Mick! If Putin and Chairman Xi and Genghis Khan all invaded Bournemouth and the only way to get are boys there was by train would you still go on strike Mick?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

kecske posted:

evict them and do what exactly, replace them with more people who also can't afford to pay the rent?

Evict them, get more people and then evict them and keep more of their deposit or whatever fees the bastard landlord charges without calling them fees I assume.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tomberforce posted:

I'm about to come back to the UK for 6 months after 12 years in Australia. Didn't want to miss out on the country imploding!

On the plus side at least you will be sort of used to the level of horrible idiot we have as leaders.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I can see Liz Truss appointing herself to every cabinet role, but by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

If anyone's feeling nostalgic for Corbyn-level hysterics: https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/status/1560623439215476737