Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I bought myself a "cookie monster" from cooplands and now I have it at home I'm feeling a strong sense of identity with the wee bastard and am struggling to work up the nerve to eat him.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Any kind person want to sanity-check me?

My Octopus tariff runs out end of Sept. They've quoted me £225/mth for 12 months (nearly 3x what I'm paying now) or if I don't renew I'll get bumped to the Co-op Flexible variable tariff ("On this tariff prices will rise and fall with wholesale costs") at £100/mth.

I assume this last is A Trap and will be £3000/mth or similar by Jan?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'd be tempted to take the latter on the basis that:

1. The government will step in and you won't risk paying absurd prices in the future

2. The government won't step in and your utility bill will be the least of your worries

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Microplastics posted:

1. The government will step in and you won't risk paying absurd prices in the future

2. The government won't step in and your utility bill will be the least of your worries

Yeah, honestly that's kind of what I'm thinking. This has to be some kind of "ha ha UK govt give us billions or we destroy your country with ENERGY BILLS" supervillain move, right? They can't possibly be really expecting people to pay those idiotic tariffs, right? ... Right? :smith:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

That £100 will go up by 80% or similar in October, and and then another 25% in January, according to analysts crystal ball readers, so £225 is paying more immediately for possiblely less costs this time next year.

Assuming the economy still functions next year, that is. As has been pointed out several times, businesses prices aren't capped so they are getting charged even more than customers.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
gut feel is you've missed the boat to fix. take the variable rate and hope gov intervention comes sooner rather than later, then ride the variable rate back down

seems like a bad plan to fix now and be locked into the pain for at least 12 months

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Microplastics posted:

This is where I'm at at the moment. The fixed rate offer is stupidly expensive but if it goes up more than that I simply will not be able to pay so gently caress em.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Payndz posted:

Noticed in Asda today that their own-brand butter has gone up 30p since I last bought some a few weeks ago (£2.20 to £2.50).

Meanwhile, one shelf below, Lurpak is £5 for the same size carton. What the actual? It's butter! Exactly the same substance! 1: how do they justify charging twice as much, and 2: who the hell would buy the Lurpak over the Asda?

I buy a shitload of butter for my fudge, and what was £1.05 a year ago is now £1.95. Everything else is creeping up too- an ingredients run that was £65 in 2020 is now around £100. Thankfully I still work from home, so my overheads remain low but if I was renting premises I would be near hosed already.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Runcible Cat posted:

Any kind person want to sanity-check me?

My Octopus tariff runs out end of Sept. They've quoted me £225/mth for 12 months (nearly 3x what I'm paying now) or if I don't renew I'll get bumped to the Co-op Flexible variable tariff ("On this tariff prices will rise and fall with wholesale costs") at £100/mth.

I assume this last is A Trap and will be £3000/mth or similar by Jan?

I was in this boat ~4 months ago and am still on EDF's flex tariff. They're not even offering any fixed plans on their site anymore - I'm getting a 'call our helpline for advice' page now.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol i've noticed canadian butter getting very expensive too over the pandemic but i'm not sure it's necessarily the same reasons since there's a protectionist dairy cartel here

but nowadays i'm generally forced to pay around £4.50 (in cad) for a solid pound block of store-brand butter. if i want it in sticks it's more expensive lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

also meant to post this i found in the replies to that tweet above

https://twitter.com/hrh_nic/status/1560610907062906880?s=20&t=o90_3QLX9P7b77u45Vu_4Q

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Leire Starburst

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

keep punching joe posted:

The Lough Ness monster.

it took me a while to see what was even wrong here

it's pronounced exactly like loch

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it ends in a throat sound: it shouldn't sound like lock

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
it's pronounced lotch

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

https://twitter.com/hrh_nic/status/1560610907062906880?s=20&t=o90_3QLX9P7b77u45Vu_4Q

The Third Pretender

And I would roll 500 miles
And I would roll 500 more
Just to be the man who rolls a thousand miles
To fall down at your door

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
Obliteration of small businesses now more significant than Salman Rushdie

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/19/uk-small-businesses-forced-to-close-by-soaring-energy-bills

but it's in purple so about the same level as "we've poked around some small rural villages again" in guardian hierarchy. Hopefully no Woody Allen news coming soon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wooden Ally news

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

honestly its still making me chuckle for some reason every time i see it

i don't even know why

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Went big shops. Loving the fashwave + liminal spaces Duke Smoochem 3D aesthetic. Greggswave. Trusswave.

OwlFancier posted:

the brexitrooms

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/djohnson188dj/status/1560665790982291462
https://twitter.com/BladeoftheS/status/1560564118582865921

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
lol it's the funny man from have i got news for you! hahaha that guy's hilarious!!!! wonder what japes he's gotten into this time!!!!!!!!!!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

stev posted:

This is where I'm at at the moment. The fixed rate offer is stupidly expensive but if it goes up more than that I simply will not be able to pay so gently caress em.

Same boat here. I'd probably be able to pay the fixed rate but I'm gambling on *something* happening and prices not getting to that point.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Just world fallacy? Just the world, failing.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

josh04 posted:

If anyone's feeling nostalgic for Corbyn-level hysterics: https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/status/1560623439215476737
https://twitter.com/HarryYorke1/status/1560628213239652352?cxt=HHwWgIDRyezFu6grAAAA
can't tell if this is a Murdoch journo poo poo-stirring, or Labour leadership immediately jumping to an insane conclusion based on nothing because they're fixated on palace coups, either seems plausible

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

domhal posted:

Obliteration of small businesses now more significant than Salman Rushdie

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/19/uk-small-businesses-forced-to-close-by-soaring-energy-bills

but it's in purple so about the same level as "we've poked around some small rural villages again" in guardian hierarchy. Hopefully no Woody Allen news coming soon.

I thought Adrian Chiles had opened a chip shop for a moment there

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
A policy that doesn't suck?

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1560659991648149504?t=BB7YnxeaivBeQlF3_snDnQ

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't believe them.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Dabir posted:

I don't believe them.

Yeah, they can have Angela Rayner promote the policy, then just shed her later to "triangulate". Ablative armour.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

the young workers bit is correct but £10 an hour isn't impressive. it's basically the same as what it would go up anyway under the tories, it's 9.50 right now, and everything is getting exponentially more expensive. it's still a huge pay cut with inflation for anybody near minimum wage. who cares.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 19, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/BBCSussex/status/1560502577560690689

:itwaspoo:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dabir posted:

I don't believe them.

The only reasonable response really. After all:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

it's our generation's dunkirk really

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Even if we become that country of people infamous for shivering to death while drinking poo water, people here will be convinced we are "the winners of the birth lottery" which is an actual phrase I've heard spoken out loud unironically.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

This makes me all nostalgic! :itwaspoo:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol humans are a plaguer

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sur La Plage by Peter G

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mediaphage posted:

look at little cuno, all grown up

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Even if we become that country of people infamous for shivering to death while drinking poo water, people here will be convinced we are "the winners of the birth lottery" which is an actual phrase I've heard spoken out loud unironically.
It's a good analogy because most lottery winners piss it up the wall and end up destitute, alienated from everyone they knew and killing themselves out of desperation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

mediaphage posted:

lol humans are a plaguer

I know it’s a throwaway comment but don’t fall into this trap comrade. Humans are just humans. Capitalism makes us a plague, but we don’t have to be. Better things are possible.