Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

posting new rares/mythics.

lmao love this extra-turn hate card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm I think flavor-wise this set is probably going to be good and who knows maybe it's well-designed as a draft format? But the mechanics don't seem super exciting, tweaked treasures, tweaked sagas, and kicker which always seems bland to me

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ahah! Not just one new kobold lords, but two!

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Golden Argosy looks really strong to me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Karn, Living Legacy
{4}
Legendary Planeswalker — Karn
+1: Create a tapped Powerstone token. (It’s an artifact
with “{T}: Add {C}. This mana can’t be spent to cast a
nonartifact spell.”)
−1: Pay any amount of mana. Look at that many cards
from the top of your library, then put one of those cards
into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library
in a random order.
−7: You get an emblem with “Tap an untapped artifact
you control: This emblem deals 1 damage to any target.”

I'm not totally convinced this is bad. I know it feels bad and slow at first look.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 19, 2022

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Hmmm, yes, just a bee in a ball gown, nothing to see here.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

CommunityEdition posted:

Hmmm, yes, just a bee in a ball gown, nothing to see here.

That’s the kind of parasitic mechanic we can all get behind

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I like the creature that gives you fact or fiction for your domain count when it deals combat damage.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

posting new rares/mythics.

cards

These are all commander cards, right?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Aww disappointing the Big Red Dragon of this set costs 6 mana, has three toughness, and doesn't even have haste. The fact it dies to Strangle before it can even attack is a bummer.

The flavor on Tyrannical Pitlord is awesome - it gives a demonic boon to one of your creatures! Until it dies.

Golden Argosy is interesting as a repeatable blink effect though....

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It seems like these Commander decks are going to have like 6 half-assed mechanics each instead of anything cohesive.

There's the Desert landfall, Assassins (with only 2 assassins), Equipment, Legendary Matters, Kobolds and Dragons, Archers, vanilla creatures etc.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

A Moose posted:

you can tell which ones are by the card's set ID. DMC vs DMU

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

mikeraskol posted:

I'm not totally convinced this is bad. I know it feels bad and slow at first look.

For his first ability I was going to say that I hate the double negative and it could be simplified, but then I realized that artifact can be used to power any abilities as well as artifact spells and that doesn’t seem too bad.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

For his first ability I was going to say that I hate the double negative and it could be simplified, but then I realized that artifact can be used to power any abilities as well as artifact spells and that doesn’t seem too bad.

It can power his -1 to draw cards. Maybe too slow but you’re generating artifacts, mana and cards and it’s heading into an artifact heavy set. I’m a believer.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A Moose posted:

the way to tell them apart is that the dominaria commander symbol has a little white in the middle, whereas the standard legal dominaria cards don't

Also the set code at the bottom left of the card. dominaria United is dmu, dominaria Commander is DMC

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Big whiff on not getting Mark Tedin to do the art on Tyrannical Pitlord, could have been a nice call back to the original Lord of the Pit art.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

That Karn is absolute trash outside of some specific weird environment where A) an entirely artifact deck is top tier B) the format is very slow C) there also isnt good artifact OR planeswalker hate

Even if you imagine a world where they leaned into artifact big mana as much as ROE did for Eldrazi (which would be hilarious), it's hard to see how this is better to cast than many other 4 mana spells.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm I think flavor-wise this set is probably going to be good and who knows maybe it's well-designed as a draft format? But the mechanics don't seem super exciting, tweaked treasures, tweaked sagas, and kicker which always seems bland to me

Looking at just the standard legal dominaria cards, I like how simple it is. Everything still has a lot of text but it's more easily grokkable compared to the past year or two of sets. I guess this is kind of what I was asking for when I said before that I wanted a nice simple core set

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

mikeraskol posted:

It can power his -1 to draw cards. Maybe too slow but you’re generating artifacts, mana and cards and it’s heading into an artifact heavy set. I’m a believer.

True, I keep overlooking that condition on the -1 ability because straight text just doesn’t help it stand out.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I mean, compare it with Search for Azcanta. Yeah, it can grab any card, in any color, but it costs 4 not 2, and costs at least 4 to activate to be as useful, and it can only be played and activated at sorcery speed.

Its awful.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Strong Sauce posted:

you can tell which ones are by the card's set ID. DMC vs DMU

Didn't they say they would separate Commander and Standard spoilers this time around? Even though I have no issue differentiating the two it irritates me to no end.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Katana Gomai posted:

Didn't they say they would separate Commander and Standard spoilers this time around? Even though I have no issue differentiating the two it irritates me to no end.

Opposite. Previously commander decks were spoiled after the set was.
This time around today and tomorrow will have the commander spoilers, so they'll be fully spoiled by Monday but we'll still be getting standard-set spoilers throughout.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Aphrodite posted:

It seems like these Commander decks are going to have like 6 half-assed mechanics each instead of anything cohesive.

There's the Desert landfall, Assassins (with only 2 assassins), Equipment, Legendary Matters, Kobolds and Dragons, Archers, vanilla creatures etc.

A bunch of the spoiled commander cards aren't from the decks. There's 20 cards that're updated legends from the original Legends sets included as box toppers and in Collector's Boosters. I believe there's also a small chance to get them from set boosters.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This card was designed to appeal to me so much it pisses me off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mikeraskol posted:

It’s bad. Doesn’t affect the board at all and you have to minus to draw a card. If you play it on 4 you can’t even minus!!

DreamScythe
Jul 25, 2007
Yeeeess, its been 25 years since griffins got a legendary. My Zuberi deck just improved a thousandfold with a new commander. Plus, exponentially increasing your evasive creatures is really powerful.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

This card was designed to appeal to me so much it pisses me off.

Dwarven recruiter's time to shine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They couldn't even let the artifact Karn makes come in untapped?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

Aww disappointing the Big Red Dragon of this set costs 6 mana, has three toughness, and doesn't even have haste. The fact it dies to Strangle before it can even attack is a bummer.

Big red dragon is the mythic dragon hydra, XR for X +1/+1 counters and flying haste, which is also pretty unimpressive I guess.

I still don't think thundermaw hellkite has been unseated as the best standard playable big red dragon.

Aphrodite posted:

They couldn't even let the artifact Karn makes come in untapped?
Powerstones are a new token type, it's on other cards too and they come in tapped by default.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

all of the previous pw karns have been bangers. The new one ought to be a dud to preserve the karmic balance

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I did not know bee people were on dominaria, feel like yall olds not telling me about them is a failure on your part

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Algid posted:

Powerstones are a new token type, it's on other cards too and they come in tapped by default.

Yeah but the release notes specifically say coming in tapped is just a feature of the cards that happen to make them this set, and not the token itself.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

mandatory lesbian posted:

I did not know bee people were on dominaria, feel like yall olds not telling me about them is a failure on your part

I feel like with every Commander set they just jam in art that's off-theme they have lying around (looking at "Genasi Rabble-Rousers" which clearly look like SNC devils)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It's just Xira. Every other insect person is a Simic krasis or Delver of Secrets going further into madness.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

That karn MIGHT be good if there's some kind of "powerstone tribal" thing. Like Powerstone Shard but for all powerstone tokens. So making a tapped one might still give you extra mana allowing you to do interesting things, and making the mana cost on his -1 not so bad. But that's like, the best case scenario and its still pretty narrow

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's just Xira. Every other insect person is a Simic krasis or Delver of Secrets going further into madness.

however there are bees with weapons and armor

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

ilmucche posted:

They're loving these cost reduction mechanics eh?

Lmao get hosed gurmag angler, now faeries can go mono U and have a giant beater in pauper

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Algid posted:

They actually don't CIPT by default (as per the leaked document), it's just that all the cards that currently create them say they CIPT.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Hell yeah Xira rules. Fancy dress up is her thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bugsy posted:

Hell yeah Xira rules. Fancy dress up is her thing.

Holy poo poo
A legend from legends that does something!