Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MassRafTer posted:

The DoN 2021 3 Way felt way more secondary than any of Hangman's programs.

Hangman's title reign is literally the only AEW World Championship reign that didn't cede the main event of a PPV to something else.

Besides the two that are currently ongoing, anyway. But everybody knows All Out is going to be main evented by One In A Billion Satnam Singh.

Eat My Fuc posted:

he’s short, weird, and sucks at gaming. It’s bot inexplicable.

Yeah, like I said, equally inexplicable reasons.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It’s still funny to me that people completely whiffed that Punk’s promo was there to setup the next few weeks of TV heading into the ppv. And their interpretation was a guy (who is text msg bffs with the owner of the company btw) is disgruntled and publicly airing grievances. You know, real professional behavior.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Hangman's title chase was so well paced and enjoyable that the reign itself was always going to feel inferior to some people, regardless of how good it actually was. I could have done without two Adam Cole matches and their first PPV match felt somewhat rushed to me.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

That 2nd match where Hangman destroyed Adam Cole was very cool and cathartic. Personally I feel completely disconnected to anyone who says he had a bad reign, like we were watching two completely different shows.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My only issue with Hangman's reign is that he wasn't on TV enough. Every time he was actually on TV and especially every time he wrestled, it was solid loving gold. It was the best in-ring reign in company history and I don't think it's particularly close?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

coconono posted:

It’s still funny to me that people completely whiffed that Punk’s promo was there to setup the next few weeks of TV heading into the ppv. And their interpretation was a guy (who is text msg bffs with the owner of the company btw) is disgruntled and publicly airing grievances. You know, real professional behavior.

I mean that's literally what the thing is? Punk isn't disgruntled with the company but with Hangman and whoever else he supposedly has real beef with backstage.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I loved give no shits Hangman. That time Kenny was kicking him in the face and he shouts is that all you got motherfucker, that time he challenged Cole to a death match and Cole was like hey wait hold on dont come closer and Page just walked up to him and slapped him in the face. Big Dick Energy YeeHaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp4Oi9JwvbE&t=248s

Shard fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 19, 2022

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I think my favourite champ hangman match was the Texas deathmatch vs Archer

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

That 2nd match where Hangman destroyed Adam Cole was very cool and cathartic. Personally I feel completely disconnected to anyone who says he had a bad reign, like we were watching two completely different shows.

Yeah every single show me and my friend would text each other and be like oh yeah we’re all in on hangman.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
The issue with Hangman's title reign was that getting the belt was the tail end of his big character arc, so it all just sort of felt like an epilogue and they didn't keep evolving him. He just put on good matches, which isn't exactly unique for a champion, and he didn't really have a big memorable reign-defining feud. The feud with Cole had some nuance with the Bucks, but that was more a Bucks thing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bonk posted:

The issue with Hangman's title reign was that getting the belt was the tail end of his big character arc, so it all just sort of felt like an epilogue and they didn't keep evolving him. He just put on good matches, which isn't exactly unique for a champion, and he didn't really have a big memorable reign-defining feud.

lol what? He evolved from someone that's constantly plagued by anxiety and self-doubt into a confident take-on-all-comers rear end-kicking champion. Look at this!

Shard posted:

I loved give no shits Hangman. That time Kenny was kicking him in the face and he shouts is that all you got motherfucker, that time he challenged Cole to a death match and Cole was like hey wait hold on dont come closer and Page just walked up to him and slapped him in the face. Big Dick Energy YeeHaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp4Oi9JwvbE&t=248s

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ganso Bomb posted:

I wonder what this guy is gonna think when his view counts triple because of this forum

He'll put more content and when this thread forgets about him, he's gonna melt down hard.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Guillermus posted:

He'll put more content and when this thread forgets about him, he's gonna melt down hard.

Ah, the NWA Mountain State method.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

MJeff posted:

lol what? He evolved from someone that's constantly plagued by anxiety and self-doubt into a confident take-on-all-comers rear end-kicking champion. Look at this!

Overcoming it was the most interesting part. After he got there, he didn't feel like the centerpiece of the company on any given show. That's not a failure with him, and I'm not saying it was bad.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Bonk posted:

Overcoming it was the most interesting part. After he got there, he didn't feel like the centerpiece of the company on any given show. That's not a failure with him, and I'm not saying it was bad.

He spent the entire reign overcoming it. Started with him not being sure against Danielson ended with him challenging Adam Cole to a death match.

Even the match he lost was "should I really cheat and use the belt?" and him losing because he doubted himself and let Punk get an advantage back.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Drakkel posted:

I mean that's literally what the thing is? Punk isn't disgruntled with the company but with Hangman and whoever else he supposedly has real beef with backstage.

3 weeks of TV before the PPV, called out 3 dudes, seems pretty obvious to me that this is all work. Not only do we get a Punk/Mox unifier match next week but we'll get challenges from Hangman and Eddie Kingston.

Maybe there's some grievances but these dudes are all professionals willing to work through their problems.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if the whole thing here is them trying to quash the punk face vibes and turn him heel. Going against mox is likely gonna get punk SOME boos, and then if he forms a stable with ftr or some other folk, maybe hangman tries to go for punk and does the babyface in peril routine heading into a pyperview? Probably not all out by this point, but who knows?

I just hope that it is an angle, hanger is the best and doesnt deserve this kind of shabby treatment

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

The only funnier possibility than Punk opening his official heel turn by getting dirt sheets to report that an obsessive Hitman fanboy was repeating a '97 Shawn Michaels line backstage and everyone just completely buying it is that it's all real and there's no heel turn imminent, and obsessive Hitman fanboy Punk just unintentionally converged into HBK by being too much of an rear end in a top hat not to

I'm gonna assume the former until proven otherwise though

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Posting a screenshot of when I got owned because I think a tweet in response to a promo is a shoot.

https://twitter.com/PaulAceFontaine/status/1560379330345287686

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/gemni888/status/1150473541902467072?s=21&t=GbAClwz3TkOnbkE152Z1Ng

https://twitter.com/gemni888/status/1556153136141651969?s=21&t=GbAClwz3TkOnbkE152Z1Ng

https://twitter.com/gemni888/status/1541421341135339522?s=21&t=GbAClwz3TkOnbkE152Z1Ng

https://twitter.com/gemni888/status/1537611318403862529?s=21&t=GbAClwz3TkOnbkE152Z1Ng

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

He spent the entire reign overcoming it. Started with him not being sure against Danielson ended with him challenging Adam Cole to a death match.

Even the match he lost was "should I really cheat and use the belt?" and him losing because he doubted himself and let Punk get an advantage back.
TBH this is like foodie blogs trying to describe the "mouth feel" of a food in text, or why one band is better than another. I felt like the journey there was better than the follow through.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Chris Regal Memorial Thread: you got a long ways to go pecker head

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

the penny arcade guy has fallen on hard times

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
0 out of 5 ain't bad

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Gabe Spakolski

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Time for FTR to dumpster the AAA tag titles on Dynamite next week

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ah yes, Disco Inferno. They should do that, have Disco booking Rampage

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
AEW Dark booked by Vince Russo, everyone has a storyline and the Kevin Nash cosplayer becomes the Dark Champ.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://twitter.com/WrestlingInc/status/1560468610371358720

The replies are hilarious, a lot of people acting like the Varsity Blondes were carrying AEW on their back during the pandemic and have been thrown aside for new toys.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Sign the Varsity Blondes WWE, we'll request literally nothing in return.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pillman fuckin' stinks and has very clearly only gotten anywhere in this business because of his name, gently caress him.

Griff has upside, do something with him.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo

Testekill posted:

The replies are hilarious, a lot of people acting like the Varsity Blondes were carrying AEW on their back during the pandemic and have been thrown aside for new toys.

More like the AEW rings were carrying their backs amirite

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MJeff posted:

Pillman fuckin' stinks and has very clearly only gotten anywhere in this business because of his name, gently caress him.

Griff turns on BPJ, takes Garcia's spot in JAS. Nobody ever asks about BPJ again.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

varsity blondes became the rare double jannetty when it turns out Julia was the star all long

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

MJeff posted:

I think one BTE alluded that bp was supposedly their sneaker hookup so he’s probably not leaving.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's not like they haven't had chances. They've got a lot more time on Dynamite than other acts have gotten and really haven't shown any growth

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Tweak posted:

varsity blondes became the rare double jannetty when it turns out Julia was the star all long

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's not like they haven't had chances. They've got a lot more time on Dynamite than other acts have gotten and really haven't shown any growth

Maybe the most impressive thing MJF has done in his career was dragging any heat whatsoever out of a feud with BPJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Testekill posted:

Varsity Blondes---at least, BPJ---had a lot of shots to showcase their skills but unfortunately they had some awkward stinkers in their tag matches. The Lucha Bros one sticks out as BPJ botched and mistimed poo poo a lot while he also tripped and had to be saved by Malakai in their clincher match.

In terms of tag teams I'd rather elevate, Private Party comes to mind as an "aew original" I'd always trust to do cool poo poo and look great even if they lose.