Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Whoolighams posted:

it's also very funny the Russo bros just decided the Hulk solved his entire identifying struggle and point of existing as a character offscreen between movies

hey now that's a bit unfair . hulk has had tons of character moments such as 'i'm always angry' in avengers where he suddenly can go into/out of hulking, being scared of thanos at the start of infinity war and refusing to reappear for the whole movie, and only then does he solve everything offscreen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Lol I forgot about the "always angry" line which like...earlier in the movie you hulked out on the helicarrier and tried to smash Black Widow so that dumbass line makes no sense.

Also it wouldn't happen to mean now that he's always Hulk they don't have to pay Ruffalo to physically act in these things, purely coincidentally, would it? Like how the Mandalorian code means he only shows his face very rarely so Pascal only has to do voiceover 95% of the time while someone else is in the costume

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Whoolighams posted:

Lol I forgot about the "always angry" line which like...earlier in the movie you hulked out on the helicarrier and tried to smash Black Widow so that dumbass line makes no sense.

well the magic wand was making everyone fight so I think the implication is he wasn't in control

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
Ahh true

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Deepest Lore.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1560633604786606080?t=N9h1WmSGxrJf01ZbgEkbvw&s=19

As usual the right is told to be angry about something and dutifully oblige

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I still don't get how hulks aren't dumb? Like what happened to themes?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I think Hulk is the one Marvel children's character I'm still fine being a dork about. It's not really a "masked vigilante" thing, so it's not as inherently fascistic.

Hulk is a cool concept when the rage is focused on the military industrial complex that created him. I get though that when you have a character that's a white man that can transform into a killing machine when annoyed in personal situations, that can be read as a right wing fantasy.

I think it was Bill Mantlo who fleshed out the retcon of Bruce Banner's father being abusive. That's not a great story beat in general, but I think it provides more justification to reader's for Bruce Banner's emotional instability. He wasn't just a guy forced into being a monster, he was a guy already struggling to have healthy relationships before that.

The whole Marvel shared universe is part of the reason the abuse retcon was even needed. Like, being turned into a freak of science because of a military experiment and then hunted down would be incredibly traumatic. However, it happens to someone new in the Marvel universe every week, and most of them deal with it relatively quickly and go on to join the Avengers within a year. So to keep a core aspect of the Hulk, the outcast weirdo who still fights the system, they need to keep piling up reasons for him to be unstable.

The Ang Lee movie was all about the family angle, but since that was critically mixed Marvel has avoided that whole side of the Hulk story for the MCU. The MCU Hulk even volunteered to be experimented on, which is similar to the 1970s TV series to be fair.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1560633604786606080?t=N9h1WmSGxrJf01ZbgEkbvw&s=19

As usual the right is told to be angry about something and dutifully oblige

I know he's always been lazy, tracer, etc. but goddamn, he has truly stopped putting any effort into these lol. the first panel is a reno 911 joke and the next three are just what happens in the video. typically jokes have a setup and then a punchline at the end, Georgie!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is it a Reno 911 joke? I assumed it was a reference to the snap event

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
idc what it's a reference to, they did it first and did it better

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's the Reno 911 thing; they made it a meme about AOC talking about being scared for her life when the capitol got stormed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oh lol.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
when quoting lines from comedy movies like Anchorman fell out of vogue, right wingers fell into memes because it's the same format: copy someone else's joke, repeat it until it is no longer funny, move on to new joke (this step optional)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Whoolighams posted:

I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that's the scene to establish "if you dislike this you're sexist and defending it from all criticism is noble and just"

Whatever that one tweet or podcast said about Disney marketing's strongest tool being "convince your fans that any criticism comes from bigotry" is getting proven right over and over

That is what it is yes. It is an easily shareable clip for social media that generates "buzz" NY creating "controversy". Of course all of the online right gets angry snd all the online woke liberals get to get angry about the right being angry.

Another round of "owning" the enemy

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the Peter David comics with smart Hulk were cool but I haven't seen an Avengers movie since Infinity War so I dunno how they're handling it

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Femur posted:

I still don't get how hulks aren't dumb? Like what happened to themes?
She hulk, when she was first introduced she was ragey, and by the end of that run she was competent. It was 1980-1982, and the hulk-smash story lines story lines have been around since 1962; kind of a bit boring? Then she ended up joining a bunch of other teams- Avengers / Fantastic 4.

In the late 80's she was put into a comedy book and suddenly she could break the 4th wall like deadpool and had humorous adventures. Her book was cancelled again, and she was bounced around the marvel universe again.

In the 2000s she got another book, but because nobody know what to expect from She-Hulk they just have more freedom with the character, the universe and the stories. And that is what a lot of the current tv series is using. Also it's 2022, and the CGI Movie Hulk-smash stories lines have been around have been around since 2003: kind of a bit boring?

Mr Hootington posted:

That is what it is yes. It is an easily shareable clip for social media that generates "buzz" NY creating "controversy". Of course all of the online right gets angry snd all the online woke liberals get to get angry about the right being angry.

Another round of "owning" the enemy
Been watching a lot of the right wing discourse around she hulk, and it's funny how similar it is. The scene happens = they say this. This scene happens = they say that. It's like shrinking.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 18:46 on Aug 19, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the Peter David comics with smart Hulk were cool but I haven't seen an Avengers movie since Infinity War so I dunno how they're handling it

he wasn't in Spider-Man or Thor

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i assume he was in Endgame though, right? isn't that where they started doing the whole smart Hulk thing in the movies/tv shows? i remember the memes

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Some kind of smart hulk ...

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

what if it was squee-hulk and it's twee as poo poo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i say swears online posted:

what do you mean what if

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

okay, i'm listenin

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

is there a dog hulk? Hulk seems like a character who should have a Hulk menagerie

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

we can't introduce dog hulk so soon after white woman hulk

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

What if it was Xi-hulk and gets heavily marketed in China

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i assume he was in Endgame though, right? isn't that where they started doing the whole smart Hulk thing in the movies/tv shows? i remember the memes

they don’t really address it at all, he’s introduced getting lunch at a taco place. or something (because Endgame is weirdlyobsessed with food) as already being smart hulk (smulk?) and has a single line about working poo poo out before taking a selfie with some passerby, and it’s never brought up again

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

they don’t really address it at all, he’s introduced getting lunch at a taco place. or something (because Endgame is weirdlyobsessed with food) as already being smart hulk (smulk?) and has a single line about working poo poo out before taking a selfie with some passerby, and it’s never brought up again

well listen you've gotta have some stuff happen off screen, it's not like they've had 30 movies worth of time to develop each and every side story

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You're a dog!

I'm a hulk!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

perhaps they could have freed up some screen time going into it by cutting all the scenes with black widow having seinfeld dialogue about sandwiches

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

indigi posted:

is there a dog hulk? Hulk seems like a character who should have a Hulk menagerie

ang lee did it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZGyDJpjIWM

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lol

yeah but they're bad dogs. I mean Hulk friend dogs. I guess you could say a Hulk dog is just a pitbull.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

hell yes gj nathan

https://twitter.com/HBO/status/1560672949610299393

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they made a dang poodle hulk.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

they made a dang poodle hulk.

that unironically ruled

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The canon term (in the comics at least) is “Professor Hulk”. Sometimes he also hulks out into “Joe Fixit” where he’s Grey colored and becomes a rude Mafia enforcer of middling intelligence.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

galagazombie posted:

“Professor Hulk”

Shoobie-dadoobie-doowop!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Atrocious Joe posted:

I think Hulk is the one Marvel children's character I'm still fine being a dork about. It's not really a "masked vigilante" thing, so it's not as inherently fascistic.

Hulk is a cool concept when the rage is focused on the military industrial complex that created him. I get though that when you have a character that's a white man that can transform into a killing machine when annoyed in personal situations, that can be read as a right wing fantasy.

I think it was Bill Mantlo who fleshed out the retcon of Bruce Banner's father being abusive. That's not a great story beat in general, but I think it provides more justification to reader's for Bruce Banner's emotional instability. He wasn't just a guy forced into being a monster, he was a guy already struggling to have healthy relationships before that.

The whole Marvel shared universe is part of the reason the abuse retcon was even needed. Like, being turned into a freak of science because of a military experiment and then hunted down would be incredibly traumatic. However, it happens to someone new in the Marvel universe every week, and most of them deal with it relatively quickly and go on to join the Avengers within a year. So to keep a core aspect of the Hulk, the outcast weirdo who still fights the system, they need to keep piling up reasons for him to be unstable.

The Ang Lee movie was all about the family angle, but since that was critically mixed Marvel has avoided that whole side of the Hulk story for the MCU. The MCU Hulk even volunteered to be experimented on, which is similar to the 1970s TV series to be fair.

That's just truth in television. White men do killing sprees as a form of self care lol.

Whoolighams posted:

Also it wouldn't happen to mean now that he's always Hulk they don't have to pay Ruffalo to physically act in these things, purely coincidentally, would it? Like how the Mandalorian code means he only shows his face very rarely so Pascal only has to do voiceover 95% of the time while someone else is in the costume

I mean, wouldn't you smash?

Anyway, a single female lawyer harboring rage issues isn't unbelievable. My friends who are have many stories, as does any woman who (checks notes) appears in public at all. If they were serious about the girl power angle She-hulk would literally smash the patriarchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jim Eagle
Aug 18, 2022

by Hand Knit
doesnt she black out and offscreen rage-murder some dudes in the first episode