Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Lucasar posted:

It occurred to me that we may randomly be able to have Sebastien Vettel as a colour commentator at various points from here on out.

Good, get rid of Nico!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I hope Seb does something better with his life

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

spaceblancmange posted:

I hope Seb does something better with his life

I can see him going the Schumacher route, minus the head trauma

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I hope he stays home to hang out with his kids like he seems to want to.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

seb should buy into an FE team

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alonso-i-need-to-destroy-whatever-strengths-other-people-have/10354553/

quote:

“Yeah, I mean, I'm that type of guy,” he smiles in an exclusive interview with Motorsport.com that took place before his Aston Martin move was announced.

“I need to make 100% of my thing, and I need to kill whatever strengths other people have. But this I do in everything I practice, when I play anything.

“I used to play tennis, and when I play with someone good, I would put the ball very high. Because, like this, you stop the rhythm of them because they are used to hitting the ball very hard.

“Playing with professionals, the ball arrives very strong for them so they are used to that kind of shot.“

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I love him

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Big "Crush your enemies, seen them driven before you and hear the lamentations of their women" vibes

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

if this season has taught me anything its that I'm an Alonso fan

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

We will welcome Nandy back to mclaren with open arms

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Zedd posted:

Even Honda knew their engine was utterly poo poo back then, AlphaTauri giving them all the things they wanted is what allowed them to make it good.

Yeah they worked with them rather than against them.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Custard Undies posted:

I can see him going the Schumacher route, minus the head trauma

I see Seb doing a lot of conservation work and helping the planet

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

wasn't their first attempt literally just a bunch of motorcycle engines bolted together

No it was a lovely 5-Valve Head on what was essentially a DFV block. It worked in Japanese F3000 approximately one time in 1988 (it was more due to the combination of Aguri Suzuki/Footwork).

Gustav Brunner bench tested it once and it blew up within 5 seconds. The engine made about 560HP, well down on even customer Cosworths that it was based on.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

spaceblancmange posted:

The only people with a bigger chip on their shoulder than Indycar drivers are Indycar fans

Takuma Sato doesn't. But then again, he was an Ex-F1 guy.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
But yeah it's a long-recurring problem. The product has been excellent mostly, but trashing F1 is commonplace and delusional.

I read on an Indycar forum that the 1990 CART season had better drivers the the 1990 F1 season and I started vibrating. Also they get very angry when you point out Ex-F1 guys do very well there, but not the reverse.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Charles Leclerc posted:

Most Italian food is peasant food.

This is not the burn you think it is.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

not gonna be satisfied until it's 1989 again and like a third of the field are teams run out of garden sheds that fail to qualify for a single race all year

That ruled. Also ALL of the '89 cars are beautiful.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yamaha being in F1 was largely down to them wanting to sell a 5 valve design to Cosworth and Cosworth telling them to gently caress off so they entered to show how much "better" their engine would be with the 5 valve design

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yamaha did make the SHO engine for Ford which has the purest most beautiful intake manifold design of any engine ever and Ford pissed it away shoe horning it into the Taurus lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Frond posted:

That ruled. Also ALL of the '89 cars are beautiful.

shout outs to the AGS that was all black with a big yellow ? on the airbox

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Look at this thing, its a loving work of art

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

Yamaha being in F1 was largely down to them wanting to sell a 5 valve design to Cosworth and Cosworth telling them to gently caress off so they entered to show how much "better" their engine would be with the 5 valve design

Cosworth also told them the design was bad and wouldn't work.. Then they designed a V12 which was somewhat better.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Alaois posted:

shout outs to the AGS that was all black with a big yellow ? on the airbox

Fun fact - this team was run out of a gas station in rural France.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

Yamaha did make the SHO engine for Ford which has the purest most beautiful intake manifold design of any engine ever and Ford pissed it away shoe horning it into the Taurus lmao

They also did design work for Toyota. They are actually a talented bunch but they need a partner to bring out their best.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

that 5-valve Yamaha engine still somehow wasn't as bad as the Subaru-Motori Moderni flat 12 or the Life W12 engine

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Alaois posted:

that 5-valve Yamaha engine still somehow wasn't as bad as the Subaru-Motori Moderni flat 12 or the Life W12 engine

Those were designed by the old alfa engine guy that according to Niki Lauda used to keep a dozen stray dogs in the shop where he built the engines.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
It was actually more powerful than the Porsche 3512 V12, which, in my opinion, is the absolute worst engine program of the modern post-1981 era.

Porsche's estimate that it made 670-680HP wasn't remotely true - in reality it made 510-520HP on a dyno.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

Those were designed by the old alfa engine guy that according to Niki Lauda used to keep a dozen stray dogs in the shop where he built the engines.

Yeah the Flat-12 was essentially Carlo Chiti's update of the late-70s Alfa Flat-12s. He also made the only real "customer" Turbo V6.

He liked fine art and not cashing paycheques either.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Frond posted:

It was actually more powerful than the Porsche 3512 V12, which, in my opinion, is the absolute worst engine program of the modern post-1981 era.

Porsche's estimate that it made 670-680HP wasn't remotely true - in reality it made 510-520HP on a dyno.

the 3512 not being able to fit in the car it was made for in the very first season of Porsche and Footwork's partnership is the funniest poo poo

can't wait to see them back in F1

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
The oddest thing about that was the FA12 couldn't accept the engine initially, but the A11C, a then 3 year old design (Ross Brawn's first IIRC) was able to be modified enough to fit it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

anyway, the main point is the results tables should look like this again

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Alaois posted:

anyway, the main point is the results tables should look like this again

:unsmith:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Probably would've been a championship year if they had literally anybody other than Patrese and Boutsen lmfao

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

italian quid posted:

:kiss:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

Probably would've been a championship year if they had literally anybody other than Patrese and Boutsen lmfao

Nah the Renault wasn't quite there yet. Imagine if Honda didn't shock drop them before 1988 started.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

Patrese was a great #2. Boutsen was a solid one. But with 2 #2's you won't be #1.

Boutsen is a textbook example of a "slow fast" driver.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

italian quid posted:

24 VALVE DONG

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Abisteen posted:

24 VALVE DONG

I don't think you can read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Frond posted:

This is not the burn you think it is.

Did you read the rest of the post you selectively quoted, dipshit? The burn was against people trying to overanalyse the beautiful simplicity of Italian food but thanks for your two Lira I guess??