Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm having a weird issue with my Odyssey Neo G7 that I wonder if anyone has any insight on. While using HDMI 2.1, my resolution and refresh rate options become extremely limited. This is all I get:

It's stuck at 165Hz, too, which is annoying for when I want to watch 24 fps movies. I have all the options available to me when using DisplayPort, and I can get the full range of options to return for HDMI 2.1 after doing a full round of DDU and driver reinstalling, but then I'll lose them again on my next reboot. The cable used doesn't matter, and this happens when using all the different color depth and range modes. This seems like it's probably a driver issue, but it's only happening with the Neo G7. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on?

edit: And I should add that I have no ability to add custom resolutions in the nvidia control panel or CRU.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The 42" C2 finally became available where I live in Europe... for almost 2000 EUR 😬 Hopefully it will drop down to at least ~1300 in the future.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
HDMI 2.1 has been janky as hell compared to DisplayPort for anything PC related for me. That sounds like a driver issue to me, too. Maybe a monitor firmware issue.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

lordfrikk posted:

The 42" C2 finally became available where I live in Europe... for almost 2000 EUR 😬 Hopefully it will drop down to at least ~1300 in the future.

Ooooof.

I refuse to pay more for a 42” than I did for my 48” C1

I know there are reasons but drat

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have an older LG 55C6P in my living room for media consumption and PS5 gaming. In my office, an older Viewsonic 27" 1440P Gsync 165 Hz display for PC gaming and web browsing/youtube, etc. (not work!)

I've been toying for years with trying to consolidate all my gaming in to one space, mostly so I don't have to compete with others for the TV when I want to play my PS5. There just doesn't seem to be a great "all in one" solution if I want a single display to be driven by both the PC and PS5. OLED TVs are too large for a desk, while traditional monitors don't look as nice, lack robust HDR support or even HDMI 2.1 if you want the best IQ. The new Sony Inzone M9 monitor looks like a reasonable compromise, but it's still just that - a compromise.

I've gone round and around on whether to get a 42 C2 at the desk, 27-32" 4K monitor for the desk, or dedicate a wall in my office space to a stand alone media cabinet & 48" (or larger) C2 for the PS5. I'm sure others have been in the same situation, any recommendations?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Anti-Hero posted:

I have an older LG 55C6P in my living room for media consumption and PS5 gaming. In my office, an older Viewsonic 27" 1440P Gsync 165 Hz display for PC gaming and web browsing/youtube, etc. (not work!)

I've been toying for years with trying to consolidate all my gaming in to one space, mostly so I don't have to compete with others for the TV when I want to play my PS5. There just doesn't seem to be a great "all in one" solution if I want a single display to be driven by both the PC and PS5. OLED TVs are too large for a desk, while traditional monitors don't look as nice, lack robust HDR support or even HDMI 2.1 if you want the best IQ. The new Sony Inzone M9 monitor looks like a reasonable compromise, but it's still just that - a compromise.

I've gone round and around on whether to get a 42 C2 at the desk, 27-32" 4K monitor for the desk, or dedicate a wall in my office space to a stand alone media cabinet & 48" (or larger) C2 for the PS5. I'm sure others have been in the same situation, any recommendations?

I had decided to separate my office space from my pc / console gaming space.
Here is what I am in the process of doing:
- bought 2x 32" 4k monitors for work in the office space
- planning on buying either the LG C2 42" or that new Asus 42" OLED

I've got a big desk for it though (80"x36") so it will be able to sit further back.

Since I have the 32" monitors now I know that its a good / great size if you plan on playing competitive games with.
But I don't play those kinds of games and I'd prefer the 42" size for games like Civilization, Diablo 4, Path Of Exile, etc.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I replaced 2x32" with a 48" OLED C1 and it's loving awesome.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Any suggestions on what I should buy if I'm looking for:

- Ultrawide/curved 40"-42" mb
- 144hz +
- VESA mountable
- GSync (bc I like it on my current monitor, like it just works i almost never have to fox with game settings to get super smooth fps)

...and would be cool, but not required, if it also had:

- A price tag under $1,200
- A good warranty/great build quality
- All black case/shell/build materials or whatever
- I don't know all the OLED Mini LED IPS terms/language nor do i keep up with the new ports (what is HDMI 2.1?) but basically just the nicest monitor with the above features that I can get inside a $1200 budget

I was considering the Odyssey G9 49" but I think that maybe that's just a bit TOO big idk

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Your options for ultrawides are 34" (3440x1440), 38" (3840x1600), and 49" (5120x1440). There may be a few oddball monitors using other sizes, but nothing with a high refresh rate. The nicest ultrawide monitor available right now by a pretty large margin is the Alienware AW3423DW, but it's only 34" and $1300, so it's just above your price ceiling. It uses a new kind of OLED display, and the picture quality is a large step above everything else. Basically, OLED means that each pixel shines individually instead of everything being illuminated by a single backlight, and this results in amazing contrast and punchy, vibrant colors.

After that, you're probably looking at an LG IPS. Unfortunately, LG produces their ultrawide panels in low quantities, and they have poor availability and are fairly overpriced for what they are. The LG 38GN950-B is currently available at Amazon for $1230. (It used to be $1800! ridiculous.) LG's newest 34" model is the 34GP83A for around $800 at Amazon. Both of these use excellent LCD panels with good colors and clear motion handling, though they're a step down from the Alienware monitor. You just missed a sale where the 34GP83A was $650, unfortunately.

The next step up is 49". The Odyssey G9 is the only monitor of that size worth talking about for gaming. It's a fine monitor, but the G9 family (both regular and Neo G9) have their share of quirks that have not been fully resolved with firmware updates, like visible horizontal "scanlines" at 240hz in some scenarios or backlight flickering when using g-sync. The Neo G9 is like the regular G9 except with a mini LED backlight which just means that it does fancier HDR. And that feature comes with its own set of quirks. None of these quirks are universal though, and I know several people who have bought the regular G9 and are happy, so it's a ymmv situation.

There are 42" 16:9 displays, but none that are curved. You could get a 42" LG C2 and pretend it's a monitor, which is something a lot of people seem to be doing. Or wait for one of the actual monitor products on the horizon using that panel, though they'll probably cost more than $1200 at first.

If you're curious, RTINGS is a good source of monitor reviews and has reviews for all the monitors mentioned here.

edit: There is a 5120x2160 ultrawide, the 40" LG 40WP95C, but it's meant as a high-end professional monitor, and it's only 72 Hz.

Also it should be noted that g-sync is compatible with almost everything these days. Even if it's not explicitly marked as a g-sync display, if it's recent then you'll most likely be able to enable g-sync on it. I also can't remember the last time someone released a gaming display that wasn't vesa mountable.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 19, 2022

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Wow that is probably the absolute balls out most helpful reply I've ever received on these old decaying forums, thank you so much

Honestly I can stretch my budget for the Alienware if it's that good and the more i measure my desk and my current monitor the more I think 34" would probably fit better and would still be a huge size upgrade on what I'm using now anyway; 34" esp makes sense given I plan to have a second vertically oriented panel next to it for netflix and stuff.

So quick follow-up question: What VESA mounting system to go for? Would prefer a single attachment point that'll let me mount that Alienware + a (vertically oriented) Dell S2417DG - looks like they're both 100mm x 100mm but no idea what brand of monitor arms to trust? And bonus points if theyr'e all black

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have the Dell monitor arm which is a direct fit for my Alienware ultra wide. Works well.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-single-monitor-arm-msa20/apd/482-bbdi/monitors-monitor-accessories

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
In case you were looking, the Amazon basic VIVO arms work OK for the alienware QDOLED but if I didnt already own a couple I'd get something sturdier and with more adjustments. Its a little wobbly especially at full extension.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I'd go with the Ergotron or Amazon Basics arms and two singles tends to be more flexible than dual.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Is it silly to try and fit it in that space?

Probably kind of silly, but it worked out. Having the monitor on the desk was totally not feasible - it put it far too close and it was at the wrong height too. Now that I've mounted it on the wall it's fine, usable, and really immersive for gaming.

The KVM switch is absolutely fantastic. Previously I was having to use the lovely joystick thing on the Samsung G5 which was slow to respond and took several steps, and also changing a separate USB switch. Now I press a single button on the remote and it is all switched over at once, wish more monitors had this feature.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Your options for ultrawides are 34" (3440x1440), 38" (3840x1600), and 49" (5120x1440). There may be a few oddball monitors using other sizes, but nothing with a high refresh rate. The nicest ultrawide monitor available right now by a pretty large margin is the Alienware AW3423DW, but it's only 34" and $1300, so it's just above your price ceiling. It uses a new kind of OLED display, and the picture quality is a large step above everything else. Basically, OLED means that each pixel shines individually instead of everything being illuminated by a single backlight, and this results in amazing contrast and punchy, vibrant colors.

After that, you're probably looking at an LG IPS. Unfortunately, LG produces their ultrawide panels in low quantities, and they have poor availability and are fairly overpriced for what they are. The LG 38GN950-B is currently available at Amazon for $1230. (It used to be $1800! ridiculous.) LG's newest 34" model is the 34GP83A for around $800 at Amazon. Both of these use excellent LCD panels with good colors and clear motion handling, though they're a step down from the Alienware monitor. You just missed a sale where the 34GP83A was $650, unfortunately.

The next step up is 49". The Odyssey G9 is the only monitor of that size worth talking about for gaming. It's a fine monitor, but the G9 family (both regular and Neo G9) have their share of quirks that have not been fully resolved with firmware updates, like visible horizontal "scanlines" at 240hz in some scenarios or backlight flickering when using g-sync. The Neo G9 is like the regular G9 except with a mini LED backlight which just means that it does fancier HDR. And that feature comes with its own set of quirks. None of these quirks are universal though, and I know several people who have bought the regular G9 and are happy, so it's a ymmv situation.

There are 42" 16:9 displays, but none that are curved. You could get a 42" LG C2 and pretend it's a monitor, which is something a lot of people seem to be doing. Or wait for one of the actual monitor products on the horizon using that panel, though they'll probably cost more than $1200 at first.

If you're curious, RTINGS is a good source of monitor reviews and has reviews for all the monitors mentioned here.

edit: There is a 5120x2160 ultrawide, the 40" LG 40WP95C, but it's meant as a high-end professional monitor, and it's only 72 Hz.

Also it should be noted that g-sync is compatible with almost everything these days. Even if it's not explicitly marked as a g-sync display, if it's recent then you'll most likely be able to enable g-sync on it. I also can't remember the last time someone released a gaming display that wasn't vesa mountable.

Well, that sells that Alienware pretty hard and I spend unreasonable amounts of time in front of a screen ever since Covid hit, so I could justify the price. Are there any concerns about using it as a work screen too?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

genericnick posted:

Well, that sells that Alienware pretty hard and I spend unreasonable amounts of time in front of a screen ever since Covid hit, so I could justify the price. Are there any concerns about using it as a work screen too?

Mainly the burn-in concerns if you're gonna be staring at bright backgrounds 8-10 hours a day on it. The claim is the panel is less susceptible to burn-in than older ones, and IIRC it comes with a 3 year burn-in warranty, but for that much money I'd expect a monitor to last a lot longer than 3 years. Read up on how to be nice to OLED's and consider the possible need for a replacement in the longer term before you take the plunge.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Probably kind of silly, but it worked out. Having the monitor on the desk was totally not feasible - it put it far too close and it was at the wrong height too. Now that I've mounted it on the wall it's fine, usable, and really immersive for gaming.

The KVM switch is absolutely fantastic. Previously I was having to use the lovely joystick thing on the Samsung G5 which was slow to respond and took several steps, and also changing a separate USB switch. Now I press a single button on the remote and it is all switched over at once, wish more monitors had this feature.

That's the M32U right? If you don't need to switch the monitor input itself, using a seperate USB switch actually performs a LOT better in my experience.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

VelociBacon posted:

That's the M32U right? If you don't need to switch the monitor input itself, using a seperate USB switch actually performs a LOT better in my experience.

It's a Gigabyte FV43U, and in my case I share display, keyboard, and mouse between my work laptop and my games PC.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

VelociBacon posted:

As someone on a M34WQ which probably uses the same dang KVM switch mechanism I think it's true but it's also possibly because the video sync is the gating problem rather than the USB switching part. I go between my Intel Macbook Pro on Type C (Thunderbolt 4 cable) and a Windows box via Displayport 1.4 and USB-B and between the issues I had with my desktop acting like it's asleep all the time and refusing to switch it's still a net gain anyway where I don't have to switch between:

• USB and SPDIF inputs on my DAC
  • Monitor
  • USB switch for keyboard and mouse

I'm down one at least now and if I figure out what's going on with the USB audio input causing pops that'll get me onto the ideal one-button switch mechanism I had with my LG 34UM95P 8 years ago :smith:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

genericnick posted:

The biggest issue (other than the abovementioned possibility of burn-in, but if they're selling it as a computer monitor it means they think they've got that mostly fixed--though if you have access to a credit card that does +12 or +24 month free extended warranty I'd use it just in case) is that the panel for the QD-OLED displays made so far use a weird sub-pixel layout. This (until and unless OS makers decide to make adjustments for it) results in color-fringing on text and windows. Rtings has a discussion of it as part of their review, and you can see an example of red-fringe on the white portions of the "Google" text and the search bar itself in this example image. It also has an active fan set (one for the GSync module which runs all the time, and another for the panel itself that only runs when it needs to).

Whether either of those are gonna bother you or not is a personal thing, but the tl;dr from a bunch of review sites so far have been "this is the ultimate (so far) for gaming / movies, but not ideal for office work."

It'd be real nice if these monitors were displayed anywhere so people could actually see them in person, especially given that Dell can (though doesn't always) charge a re-stocking fee.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've been sleeping on getting that Alienware for several weeks now. You can use a custom clear text program if the text bothers you, but the pixel refresh degaussing text box that pops up every 3-4 hours or so may be a deal breaker.

I think if you manually turn the screen off when you leave the room it keeps that at bay and I generally do that.

I've got a 144hz Dell TN panel, the same as that person several pages back had.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Man, my Dell U2711 w/ the fluorescent backlight just radiates heat, but I want to keep my next monitor for a decade, too. I'm looking at the 2023 OLED advances, Kyulux phosphors, LG's microlens array, eLEAP... that Alienware is tempting, but is anyone else standing pat for 2023 OLEDs?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I’m fully expecting to wait out until maybe 2025-ish for QDOLEDs to become more common with software mitigations for the subpixel layout and also because my eyes are crap and fuzzy text is not something I’m cool with. Heck, I’m getting drat blue light blocker coatings on my glasses. Until then I’m looking at regular old 4K OLED TVs basically to accommodate my stupid addiction to light text on dark terminal backgrounds.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

DrDork posted:

The biggest issue (other than the abovementioned possibility of burn-in, but if they're selling it as a computer monitor it means they think they've got that mostly fixed--though if you have access to a credit card that does +12 or +24 month free extended warranty I'd use it just in case) is that the panel for the QD-OLED displays made so far use a weird sub-pixel layout. This (until and unless OS makers decide to make adjustments for it) results in color-fringing on text and windows. Rtings has a discussion of it as part of their review, and you can see an example of red-fringe on the white portions of the "Google" text and the search bar itself in this example image. It also has an active fan set (one for the GSync module which runs all the time, and another for the panel itself that only runs when it needs to).

Whether either of those are gonna bother you or not is a personal thing, but the tl;dr from a bunch of review sites so far have been "this is the ultimate (so far) for gaming / movies, but not ideal for office work."

It'd be real nice if these monitors were displayed anywhere so people could actually see them in person, especially given that Dell can (though doesn't always) charge a re-stocking fee.

Micro Center carries the AW3423DW. It's usually (but not always) out of stock, but your local store may have a demo unit.

As pointed out in the RTINGS review, Better ClearType Tuner clears up the text issue for everything that uses ClearType. That solves the problem for everything that doesn't use custom text anti-aliasing (google does, for instance).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Mofabio posted:

Man, my Dell U2711 w/ the fluorescent backlight just radiates heat, but I want to keep my next monitor for a decade, too. I'm looking at the 2023 OLED advances, Kyulux phosphors, LG's microlens array, eLEAP... that Alienware is tempting, but is anyone else standing pat for 2023 OLEDs?

The upside is that the entire industry has moved on from CCFLs and as a result anything you buy today will be noticeably less heat-producing....with the apparent exception of some of these new GSync modules that chill out at like 50-60C all day e'rry day for the hell of it.

I'd snap up the Alienware today if it had normal RGB stripe layout and no fan.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Micro Center carries the AW3423DW. It's usually (but not always) out of stock, but your local store may have a demo unit.

As pointed out in the RTINGS review, Better ClearType Tuner clears up the text issue for everything that uses ClearType. That solves the problem for everything that doesn't use custom text anti-aliasing (google does, for instance).

Alas, even with Better Clear Type I'm SOL because I have to run it off a Mac for a good chunk of my business work, and there is (AFAIK) simply no solution on that side of the house.

And, yeah, I've been waiting for MicroCenter to have them on the demo floor, but as of yet I've never seen one. Seems like for now they're just doing direct-ships, presumably due to low inventory from Dell. Until quite recently even ordering from Dell you got like a month+ projected wait for delivery.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

black.lion posted:

Wow that is probably the absolute balls out most helpful reply I've ever received on these old decaying forums, thank you so much

Yeah, this thread has several posters that deliver that kinda content on the daily. Owns.

Question for the thread: is it common for a specific input on a monitor to fail over time? It feels like every time I have to replace a monitor, it's because the "good" input failed. For example, this (I think) first-gen LG ultrawide just stopped working with DisplayPort. HDMI works fine, so I can still USE it, but I'm locked to like 50hz.

I still need to do a bunch of troubleshooting to make sure it isn't the cable or video card, but I'm 99% certain it's the monitor. Just wondering if that's usually how it goes? (Last monitor the DVI input died, leaving me only VGA, so I took that opportunity to upgrade to this thing)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

DrDork posted:

Oof, somehow active cooling on a monitor feels like a big step. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zarin posted:

I still need to do a bunch of troubleshooting to make sure it isn't the cable or video card, but I'm 99% certain it's the monitor. Just wondering if that's usually how it goes? (Last monitor the DVI input died, leaving me only VGA, so I took that opportunity to upgrade to this thing)

It is unusual, but certainly not impossible. It sounds like you have one of the early-gen GSync ultrawides, and those chipsets were always a bit flaky.

Cables are more likely to fail than inputs (especially if you plug/unplug things regularly), and it's pretty rare for an GPU output port to straight up fail. Plus that's usually a real easy check: just get a different cable and use a different port on your video card (assuming you have one).

Frankly, most monitors don't really die over time at all these days. The CCFL ones of old would slowly dim as the backlights wore out, but modern ones will run for years and years. Most people end up replacing them because they want some new shiny, rather than because their existing monitor actually died. That said, power supply failures (especially if internal) are one of the more common culprits for the ones that do actually die of old age.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Duster the hell out of the ports at both ends, as well. Dust accumulation can cause failures, especially inside the GPU.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i'm using the alienware qd-oled as my desktop monitor for work as well as gaming so let's see how burn-in works out

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Can I get a sanity check on something weird I'm thinking of doing?

I run a 27" 1440p monitor I'm happy with, and don't really have a big reason to have dual monitors anymore, but every once in a while I need to look at a map on a website for a game I'm playing and alt-tabbing out to get to a browser is suboptimal for this. I don't want a big second monitor, and was thinking a tablet would work well but I don't really want the overhead of casting to it using any of the usual methods.

So, I'm thinking of getting this:

https://www.newegg.com/black-zeuslap-z10-series-z10t-10-4/p/3D4-006V-00006?Item=9SIBERTJ1T0948

It's small, has a touchscreen, and I could take it with me to use as a second monitor for my laptop on those rare occasions I actually use my laptop.

Any big red flags I'm missing? Any arguments against the idea?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

shrike82 posted:

i'm using the alienware qd-oled as my desktop monitor for work as well as gaming so let's see how burn-in works out

I'd love a real trip-report on the haloing and how bothersome it is after using it for a few days. Double-bonus if you can test on Mac (sigh).

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Can I get a sanity check on something weird I'm thinking of doing?
Any big red flags I'm missing? Any arguments against the idea?

It's not insane. I'm not really sure that casting a Chrome window to a tablet is really a big overhead lift, but if you've tried it and don't like it, then sure, a portable secondary monitor would work.

The one you've picked seems fine for a very low-end deal, but 10" is pretty small. If you're ok with the size and with using two cables (HDMI + USB) to save some cash, then sure, go with it. Otherwise you can get something like this 10" 2k screen that runs everything off a single USB-C (3.1 or higher) port.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've had it for a couple months hooked up to my desktop as well as my m1 macbook air via a thunderbolt 4 dock

pretty happy with it - both for gaming and work (coding). i may have noticed some of the text fringing issues when i first switched from my Acer 27" Predator IPS but i don't notice any issues now

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

DrDork posted:

It is unusual, but certainly not impossible. It sounds like you have one of the early-gen GSync ultrawides, and those chipsets were always a bit flaky.

Cables are more likely to fail than inputs (especially if you plug/unplug things regularly), and it's pretty rare for an GPU output port to straight up fail. Plus that's usually a real easy check: just get a different cable and use a different port on your video card (assuming you have one).

Frankly, most monitors don't really die over time at all these days. The CCFL ones of old would slowly dim as the backlights wore out, but modern ones will run for years and years. Most people end up replacing them because they want some new shiny, rather than because their existing monitor actually died. That said, power supply failures (especially if internal) are one of the more common culprits for the ones that do actually die of old age.

It's an LG 34UM95. Looks like a lot of the early reviews were from June 2014 so I'm not sure if that predates G-Sync or not. Regardless, I am under the impression that this one was never G-Sync compatible.

I should be able to borrow the cable from someone else's UW and make sure that's not the issue. It's odd because the error message I get when plugging into DisplayPort now is "Out of Range", which usually indicates that the resolution is set too high. But that happened just from me powering on the monitor; the right half of the screen looked all scrambled, so I turned it back off and back on again and it was permanently in "Out of Range". Monitor was probably plugged in last around a year ago; haven't really messed with the cables since then.

HDMI works fine, but locks me to 50hz.

K8.0 posted:

Duster the hell out of the ports at both ends, as well. Dust accumulation can cause failures, especially inside the GPU.

Didn't consider this, but good idea, thank you! And I just retrieved my little 2-gallon air compressor from storage so I don't even need to venture out of the house.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, I'd give it a clean and give a new cable a go. "Out of Range" suggests to me a busted connector pin or two (hopefully in the cable, rather than the port).

HDMI limiting to 50Hz is typical of early UWs that slapped HDMI 1.4 ports on there because lol why would you want more than one port that ran at the full speed of your monitor?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Zarin posted:

Yeah, this thread has several posters that deliver that kinda content on the daily. Owns.

Question for the thread: is it common for a specific input on a monitor to fail over time? It feels like every time I have to replace a monitor, it's because the "good" input failed. For example, this (I think) first-gen LG ultrawide just stopped working with DisplayPort. HDMI works fine, so I can still USE it, but I'm locked to like 50hz.

I managed to kill two HDMI ports on my old TV by plugging/unplugging the cable to my computer if both were on while doing it. This was an electrical issue, I think there were actual sparks when the cable connected. Hard to say what was the base culprit. Maybe because the TV was connected to the building's antenna network, or maybe the TV or computer had the power cable the wrong way in the wall socket.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Wait you can do that? I live in an upside down country where the live and neutral prongs are canted 45 degrees and it's physically impossible to plug a power cable in the wrong way... Yikes.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Don Dongington posted:

Wait you can do that? I live in an upside down country where the live and neutral prongs are canted 45 degrees and it's physically impossible to plug a power cable in the wrong way... Yikes.

Any device that actually cares about polarity has the prongs physically different sized so that you cannot plug it in wrong without a LOT of effort.

(exceptions made for random Chinesium devices that are wildly unsafe and shouldn't be plugged in to anything, ever)

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Don Dongington posted:

In theory for two-prong, they're supposed to be Freedom Polarized - that is to say, one prong is wider than the other so it only goes in one way. Except, well, not all prongs are polarized. And the differential is sometimes small enough that a mildly firm push can defeat the safety as well.

However, most computers/TVs are three-prong, so that shouldn't be an issue! Unless you're using a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter because the wiring in the house is old and there are no grounds anywhere . . .

Edit: . . . or they wired the outlet backwards . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

xgalaxy posted:

I had decided to separate my office space from my pc / console gaming space.
Here is what I am in the process of doing:
- bought 2x 32" 4k monitors for work in the office space
- planning on buying either the LG C2 42" or that new Asus 42" OLED

I've got a big desk for it though (80"x36") so it will be able to sit further back.

Since I have the 32" monitors now I know that its a good / great size if you plan on playing competitive games with.
But I don't play those kinds of games and I'd prefer the 42" size for games like Civilization, Diablo 4, Path Of Exile, etc.

My desk is medium sized at 60"x32" so the depth is a little on the low side for a 42". I'm looking hard at the Asus 42" OLED as well, though I'd expect the Sony M9 or Samsung Neo G7 (though I don't like the curve nor styling) would also slot in very nicely. Going to keep my eyes peeled and keep spending too much brain power ogling setups on here and reddit :v: