Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jakabite posted:

I know it’s a throwaway comment but don’t fall into this trap comrade. Humans are just humans. Capitalism makes us a plague, but we don’t have to be. Better things are possible.

Yeah this is all caused by private profit, which comes at public cost.

In 315 AD Crucifixion was abolished as punishment in the Roman Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
thanks for being uplifting!

i maintain we're a plague, since we invented capitalism

but that doesn't mean we have to stay that way, of course.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bobby Deluxe posted:

look at little cuno, all grown up

It's a good analogy because most lottery winners piss it up the wall and end up destitute, alienated from everyone they knew and killing themselves out of desperation.

Isn't that a myth spread by the rich to make being rich seem difficult? Obviously the media focus on the flame-outs, that's how the myth gets spread, but as far as I'm aware most winners just live quiet comfortable lives.

After having done further reading I have found a number of articles that had to issue a correction after claiming that Camelot found 44% of lottery winners declare bankruptcy within 5 years. The correction states: "Camelot group conducted no such study". So yeah, a bunch of rags owned by rich fuckers published articles citing made-up studies telling people they're better off as lifelong wage slaves. Quelle surprise.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tarnop posted:

Isn't that a myth spread by the rich to make being rich seem difficult? Obviously the media focus on the flame-outs, that's how the myth gets spread, but as far as I'm aware most winners just live quiet comfortable lives.

After having done further reading I have found a number of articles that had to issue a correction after claiming that Camelot found 44% of lottery winners declare bankruptcy within 5 years. The correction states: "Camelot group conducted no such study". So yeah, a bunch of rags owned by rich fuckers published articles citing made-up studies telling people they're better off as lifelong wage slaves. Quelle surprise.

No this is something that happens to people who come into money and don't invest or save any of it. Athletes are notorious for ending up bankrupt soon after they "retire" due to not being able to play at the same level.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Children of Men? I thought it was filmed at Ropley but I think that's Medstead & Four Marks.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

That's Children of Men yes, as for the obscure train geography, I don't know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Humans are a plague in the sense that plagues are a good example of forms of life that are able to create hypertrophic environments (not sure if this is general term but like, an environment that is incredibly well suited to one form of life) and all forms of life that can do that end up spreading out of their ability to sustain themselves and causing that environment to collapse.

It's just usually it's like, a pond, rather than the planet.

Anyway I think I read one of youse went brambling so I also went brambling and got some nice pictures and made some friends.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Humans are a plague in the sense that plagues are a good example of forms of life that are able to create hypertrophic environments (not sure if this is general term but like, an environment that is incredibly well suited to one form of life) and all forms of life that can do that end up spreading out of their ability to sustain themselves and causing that environment to collapse.

I don't think the concrete hellscapes we make are even suited to us.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well yes that is also a feeling I have generally, life does not maximise happiness, just quantity. Really contributes to the general feeling that it isn't planned, because if it is then the planner is a right twat.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I think I drove over this in Forza Horizon 4

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Few hundred miles south but yeah it does look a bit like the hills outside edinburgh. Less craggy though from what I remember.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's just usually it's like, a pond, rather than the planet.
First time some bacteria discovered photosynthesis it was the planet. (oxygen catastrophe)

Same as the first time they incorporated nickel to metabolize more efficiently than any others. (great dying)

We're just doing it with coal and oil and gas.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That's not a return to Victorian times, it's a return to the 14th century - child mortality rates and all.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

First time some bacteria discovered photosynthesis it was the planet. (oxygen catastrophe)

Same as the first time they incorporated nickel to metabolize more efficiently than any others. (great dying)

Chemistry is the grim reaper. No wonder it chose Thatcher as its mortal vessel.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
she invented whippy ice cream m8 what have you done for ur country??????????????????? :manning:

TwoShanks
Feb 27, 2007

Robots of the world unite
Just in case anyone is in the Wrexham area tomorrow my commie group (Welsh Underground Network) is running a free barbecue and food bank event.

https://twitter.com/WrexhamUG/status/1560199963468091393?s=20&t=dKtMoeW7Q668YaOlbz_4eQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I think that nickel hypothesis is fairly speculative but it does make for a nice metaphor

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It is, but there's a good chance that something gave some methanogenic micros an industrial revolution's worth of metabolic advantage and then it went poorly for everything else.

Which counters the "oh we're just one little species how could we possibly affect the whole planet it's so big" argument.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Jedit posted:

That's not a return to Victorian times, it's a return to the 14th century - child mortality rates and all.

Yeah, the Victorians at least had the concept of public works and hey, maybe it's kind of uncool to let people starve to death where we can actually see them.

I bet he has wet dreams about bringing back workhouses for people on the dole though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Worth checking out if you're in the position to put £100 on an Iceland bonus card before end of August: the Christmas bonus offer.
I've just seen it on my phone so not checked out thoroughly yet.
Not only would you get the usual £1 per £20 put on the card (so £5 for £100) but late November they're adding £15 more (their extra bonuses often have a time limit for spending so you'd have to spend at least £15 in Iceland between when you get the bonus and whatever the deadline is (Xmas?)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Went big shops. Loving the fashwave + liminal spaces Duke Smoochem 3D aesthetic. Greggswave. Trusswave.

Pretwave for that Je ne sais quoi

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think if you exit through the far end you end up in the Imperial Navy and have to shell a Pret. It seems to fit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder sometimes if malls would be able to rebrand into something people would go to.

I feel like with the proliferation of RGB LEDs they should be able to go full cyberpunk and really lean into the ultimate form of capitalism angle.

I might be tempted to go to a shopping center that looks like the inside of my computer case.

Use the PA system to play a bunch of bassy synth noises too.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/aug/19/jeremy-vine-cycle-safety-london-helmet-cam

In which Jeremy Vine invents a whole new genre of video never seen before, definitely not on YouTube

quote:

While quite a few cyclists post clips from on-bike video cameras to highlight dangerous driving, in the past couple of years Vine has taken this concept forward in several ways. To begin with, he doesn’t just post unadorned clips. Vine’s contributions are micro-documentaries, adding explanatory graphics, music and rewound footage to show different angles, something possible because of the hi-tech 360-degree camera he uses, perched atop his helmet.

and claims that the goal of making roads safe for cycling is not political.

quote:

“We have let so much of our cities go over to cars that we’re having to pull it back, and that requires incredibly difficult politics.” Although, he says: “This is not a political thing – if you can create safe cycling space, you have the potential to free up thousands of miles of the transport network, and cleaning up the city, making it safer.”

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
I know it's a bit "fiddling while Rome burns" as the tickets aren't cheap BUT: gently caress me, that Abba Voyage virtual concert was enjoyable!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mourning Due posted:

I know it's a bit "fiddling while Rome burns" as the tickets aren't cheap BUT: gently caress me, that Abba Voyage virtual concert was enjoyable!

Fiddle away - not like there's anything else to do.

Holy moly those are some expensive tickets though to what is essentially a light show.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

The last couple of days I've had military jets flying over my house (near Tonbridge in Kent), having never had any related activity at all in the four years I've lived here. What's going on?! Where's twisto when you need him?

Airborne, in Eastbourne.

Edit, unrelated to the above:

If your energy company is offering you a fix now which is cheaper than what the cap is likely to be in Jan, also factoring in the difference between now and then including the rise in October, if your company offer the ability to exit with a charge it might be worth considering.

Mine will be 30 per fuel, so if the govt do anything then it will be cheaper to swallow the exit fees than stay on a very high fixed tariff, should be current cap be maintained.

That's also assuming that they don't make allowing everyone to switch back to standard tariff and waiving exit fees a condition of freezing the cap.

BastardySkull fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 20, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1560640427165749248?s=21&t=PFy7jpL79yzv7KZK-iOwlg

The Aditya Chakrabortty article linked here is genuinely loving terrifying.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
in the same vein:
https://twitter.com/JoannaPartridge/status/1560656133110452225?cxt=HHwWgsCq6f-eyKgrAAAA53% of small businesses expect to contract or fold outright within the next 12 months; restaurants being quoted energy bill rises of 300-500%

edit: oh gently caress me :smith:
https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1560630136940007427?cxt=HHwWhsCgoem1vKgrAAAA

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Meanwhile the Daily Mail is leading with a story of how the NHS is wasting 'millions' on woke events such as Pride Picnics - sometimes during working hours!!

The distraction tactics could not be more obvious. Other than to the cattle who actually read it, I guess.

Have a great weekend everyone!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Shell Energy relentlessly point out that they supply me only with energy from renewable sources, so what I’m getting from this is that I won’t be impacted at all by the rising cost of imported fossil fuels unless for some reason they’re either playing fast and loose with their definition of renewable or they just really like making money, or both.

Two things I’m confident no utility company would EVER do.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Gove clearly calculating that Truss isn't going to last long and wants to be positioned for a quick comeback when she crashes and burns:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/aug/19/gove-backs-sunak-and-says-truss-taking-holiday-from-reality

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Runcible Cat posted:

Any kind person want to sanity-check me?

My Octopus tariff runs out end of Sept. They've quoted me £225/mth for 12 months (nearly 3x what I'm paying now) or if I don't renew I'll get bumped to the Co-op Flexible variable tariff ("On this tariff prices will rise and fall with wholesale costs") at £100/mth.

I assume this last is A Trap and will be £3000/mth or similar by Jan?

Get your actual consumption figures for the last year and multiply that by the unit rate, then add 365*standing charge.

Octopus did the same with me, and while variable *was* cheaper, it was nowhere near what they were quoting.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The Perfect Element posted:

The distraction tactics could not be more obvious. Other than to the cattle who actually read it, I guess.

I feel like we must be approaching a point where most Telegraph readers, after reading yet another article telling them it's a good thing to miss meals or eat maggoty bread, would realise they're being taken for a ride? Nah who am I kidding. When it happens to them they'll just blame the immigants and the wokesters.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Hate to pile on the bad news but...

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/movies/cineworld-prepares-to-file-for-bankruptcy-within-weeks-41923382.html

I just hope they are still in business come September. I want to bring my daughter to the cinema for her birthday and the Cineworld in Glasgow was always handy to bring her to.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Businesses are going to be completely screwed. My local takeaway has jacked up the prices by 20% already and they've cut down on portion size too. There are several that have closed for a summer holiday until September and I wonder if some of them will decide not to reopen.

All the businesses who pushed for staff to go back into the office this time last year are going to be in for a shock when staff take them up on that.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I've just stopped buying some things. The companies who manufacture and retail that poo poo are more likely to be listened to by the government anyway.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Marmaduke! posted:

I feel like we must be approaching a point where most Telegraph readers, after reading yet another article telling them it's a good thing to miss meals or eat maggoty bread, would realise they're being taken for a ride? Nah who am I kidding. When it happens to them they'll just blame the immigants and the wokesters.

Won't be happening to them though, will it, your average Telegraph reader is well heeled enough to still afford food.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I feel much like Stringer Bell in his final moments. Just get on with it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lady Demelza posted:

All the businesses who pushed for staff to go back into the office this time last year are going to be in for a shock when staff take them up on that.

We're going to end up with people wanting to go into the office because the cost of the commute is significantly cheaper than the cost of being at home for an extra 10 hours each day.