Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Except when it's cold and solid from being in the fridge but I don't think that really counts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

All this assumes someone on EBT even has a way to cook food that isn't a microwave at the store. I'm guessing there are a lot of cheap rentals that don't have working ovens/stoves if they're included at all.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

All this assumes someone on EBT even has a way to cook food that isn't a microwave at the store. I'm guessing there are a lot of cheap rentals that don't have working ovens/stoves if they're included at all.

The only thing you're wrong about is that they aren't exactly "cheap".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Iron Crowned posted:

Because poors aren't allowed joy of any kind. No problems selling them the day old Chinese food out of the cooler, can't sell it to them when it was hot and fresh.

I agree with you, but still, someone who can't find joy eating Chinese leftovers has bigger problems than poverty.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

The only thing you're wrong about is that they aren't exactly "cheap".

"cheap" is what I should have wrote, yeah.

Daedo
May 5, 2002

Tenebrais posted:

The tax thing applies in the UK too - anyone who's noticed the fact that Greggs' food varies wildly in temperature has encountered the fact they don't technically serve hot food, they just happen to take it out the oven just before lunch and put it straight up for sale without leaving it to cool, so they aren't taxed as fast food.

Not quite. You only pay VAT on hot food at Greggs if you choose to "eat in" rather than takeaway. So there's 2 prices for all the bakes etc they sell. So you'd get charged that extra 20% for a stone cold sausage and bean melt if you were sitting in.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
*googles EBT*

why the gently caress are people so concerned about earnings before taxes and what you can buy with those, what is going on

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

HenryEx posted:

*googles EBT*

why the gently caress are people so concerned about earnings before taxes and what you can buy with those, what is going on

Food stamps. In America, we can't just feed poor people or give them money. We have to give them a card that can be lost or stolen, that they can only use on specific items at specific stores.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
All you Nick Mason motherfuckers wanting pie with no crust.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In America, we can't just feed poor people

Lord knows Trump already tried

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Food stamps. In America, we can't just feed poor people or give them money. We have to give them a card that can be lost or stolen, that they can only use on specific items at specific stores.

And in true American fashion when you break down how the system works it's taxes going to poor people spending the money at Walmart and Walmart spending that money to bribe politicians to keep the program alive but still keep the threat of it being taken away to keep the poor oppressed and fearful of making waves so everyone's life is shittier except for the ruling class.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dont forget some redstate shitholes making restrictions on even bulk amounts.

cant buy 5 or 10 bulk dry beans, or 50 poound dry rice, but you can get 1 lb ones.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

Walmart loves programs like this because it allows them to pay their employees starvation level wages without their employees literally starving.
So in a really twisted and gross way, food stamp programs are helping subsidize massive corporations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

dont forget some redstate shitholes making restrictions on even bulk amounts.

cant buy 5 or 10 bulk dry beans, or 50 poound dry rice, but you can get 1 lb ones.

No that's WIC which is a different dumb system

But all these systems are bad because the alternative is nothing, which is what republicans fight for every time.

Food Stamps only ever got support by being included in the farm bill. It's sold as a farm subsidy not as life sustaining nutrients to poors

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Oh and people will 100% judge you if you spend food stamps on nice meat or really anything containing sugar. Cashiers will almost always scan down to the bottom of the receipt where it shows what your balance is too.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
pretty rich that another min wager is judging me and my beans and tofu, oh and a bunch of produce.

also gently caress people still believe the steaks and lobster meme, complete horseshit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you really think the cashier gives a poo poo about you at all you're fully mistaken.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The cashier only gives a poo poo about how to minimize their interaction with you

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Correct

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

HenryEx posted:

The cashier only gives a poo poo about how to minimize their interaction with you

When I worked as a grocery store as a teen I had my own regulars, just like the older ladies who worked mornings and spent a while chatting with each customer like they were old friends.

The difference was that my regulars explicitly told me they liked me because I was polite and fast and talked to them as little as humanly possible.

(I also had to ring up EBT and WIC. WIC loving sucked because you had to use these pain in the rear end vouchers that were even slower to process than checks and had strict limits that people didn't get right hal the time. As a dumbass teen that annoyed me. In retrospect it annoys me even more because it's clearly set up that way to gently caress over the poor people that need WIC.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My favorite job was a cashier at trader Joe's where they kept telling me to talk to/connect to customers over and over and more and more until one day numerous people in line complained that I was talking too much, and my supervisor quickly walked back several weeks of job input on the spot. It was such a relief to just get back to my job after that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Desert Bus posted:

Oh and people will 100% judge you if you spend food stamps on nice meat or really anything containing sugar. Cashiers will almost always scan down to the bottom of the receipt where it shows what your balance is too.

As someone sitting at the poverty line people will judge you for spending food stamps on anything or even mentioning you have them or use them. the cashier at the store will sneer at you for not using your own debit card sometimes. They are that pointlessly looked down on even by the people who suffer in retail. I wait till I'm in the car to cry lol.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shifty Nipples posted:

No shepherds pie that I have had has been liquid enough to be called a stew. More like a casserole.
The only thing that defines a casserole (food) is that it's cooked in a casserole (cookware).

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's called Hot Dish not casserole

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

All hot dishes are casseroles

Not all casseroles are hot dishes

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Tiggum posted:

The only thing that defines a casserole (food) is that it's cooked in a casserole (cookware).

do people cook stews in a casserole dish

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Surely we have enough data at this point to bust out a pie purist chart

Edit: nvm here we go

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

George H.W. oval office posted:

Is this chart trying to say pop tarts aren't sweet???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tenebrais posted:

The tax thing applies in the UK too - anyone who's noticed the fact that Greggs' food varies wildly in temperature has encountered the fact they don't technically serve hot food, they just happen to take it out the oven just before lunch and put it straight up for sale without leaving it to cool, so they aren't taxed as fast food.

Some U.S. cities tax dine‐in but not takeout.

Same food, same base price, but if you accept the single‐use plastic box, bag, and utensils, you save a few percent.

:thumbsup:

The Bloop posted:

You can buy an apple tree, though

At chain stores, tons of edible plants are miscategorized and you’re never going to get a manager to override the classification at the POS.

Mom & pop nurseries will recognize and rectify the issue, if they accept EBT to begin with.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Aug 20, 2022

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

using WIC before they rolled out the cards was such a pain in the rear end. i would have a a bunch of vouchers with barely legible print on them and it always caused issues and hung up the line. all the employees at my local safeway were understanding though since they were also all enrolled with WIC so they knew how nerve wracking it is to be holding up the line like that. now we have cards and its super easy except sometimes the rules for what you can and cant buy arent clear. for exmaple, i can get 32 oz of mozzarella cheese but i cant buy it in a 32 oz package, i need to buy it in two 16oz packages but when it comes to cereal you can mix and match different sizes as long as it comes to 120 oz or whatever :shrug: it also seems to change depending on who is president, because for a while there was some biden administration rule that increased the amount of fruit and vegetables you can get with WIC. my kids age out of it soon so i will need to apply for SNAP benefits and im not looking forward to the bizarre rules that system has but it's better than nothing!

something interesting, when i was applying for WIC and having the interview with the case worker signing me up, she told me not to even bother trying to use it at wal-mart because even though they take it, they will make it as humiliating and difficult for you to use as possible, even straight up lying to you and telling you they dont accept WIC

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Most of these charts are awful, but this one really takes the cake

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So this is one of those "pie charts" I've heard about

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

DamnitGannet posted:

something interesting, when i was applying for WIC and having the interview with the case worker signing me up, she told me not to even bother trying to use it at wal-mart because even though they take it, they will make it as humiliating and difficult for you to use as possible, even straight up lying to you and telling you they dont accept WIC

They've gotten a little better at this.

If you look at the lower right-hand corner of the shelf tag, WIC approved items have a little "W" there. Small black square with a white or yellow "W".

Maybe not useful to you now, but handy if you're shopping for or with someone who has a WIC card.

It would be nice if each aisle had WIC items in their own section, where possible. I've seen that happen exactly once, but only because our (not Walmart) regional manager was present during a shelf reset and wanted something else not to happen. 2 1/2 feet, five shelves high, right next to the private label sliced bread.

WIC breads here are all little 16oz loaves priced artificially high to discourage other people from clearing them out. This is because the store can, in theory, be fined for not maintaining minimum product levels.

Our little WIC section worked out just fine. Fresh product, never out, no store employees having to come back to swap non-WIC for WIC product.

Silver John
Sep 30, 2014

DamnitGannet posted:

using WIC before they rolled out the cards was such a pain in the rear end. i would have a a bunch of vouchers with barely legible print on them and it always caused issues and hung up the line. all the employees at my local safeway were understanding though since they were also all enrolled with WIC so they knew how nerve wracking it is to be holding up the line like that. now we have cards and its super easy except sometimes the rules for what you can and cant buy arent clear. for exmaple, i can get 32 oz of mozzarella cheese but i cant buy it in a 32 oz package, i need to buy it in two 16oz packages but when it comes to cereal you can mix and match different sizes as long as it comes to 120 oz or whatever :shrug: it also seems to change depending on who is president, because for a while there was some biden administration rule that increased the amount of fruit and vegetables you can get with WIC. my kids age out of it soon so i will need to apply for SNAP benefits and im not looking forward to the bizarre rules that system has but it's better than nothing!

I work at a Walmart that is legitimately unable to take wic (apparently you need a certain amount of fresh fruits and vegetables to get the license, which we don’t have) and I always feel real bad telling folks that. 90% of the time they’re getting baby food

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Desert Bus posted:

What the gently caress. I worked at a wholesale warehouse all through college. Some time in they started accepting EBT and I got the little training thingy on how to process them, etc. iirc we basically just treated them like a credit card. I didn't give a single poo poo if people paid for their poo poo with an EBT, and I sure as hell never scanned the receipt to see how much money they had on it.

I was firmly in the "minimize interaction" category. Just let me scan your poo poo, give me your payment, and go home.

The only payments I would internally groan about were checks. I hated processing checks. It took forever and it was always the ancient old ladies who used them, who were slow in general. gently caress checks.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I live in a hardcore Red State in the USA and the cashier not checking the balance on the bottom of the receipt is the abnormal action. I don't even understand why EBT prints it on there, but they almost always check it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I never worked retail in the US, but where I did I can't imagine not doing the best I can to help the customer maximize what they could get out of any coupon or benefit or deal they possibly had. I would break things down into multiple sales, use change from one to buttress the other, whatever I needed to get the POS software to let me get them as much as possible while covering my rear end by making every individual transaction go through and not have any losses recorded by end-of-day count.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Silver John posted:

I work at a Walmart that is legitimately unable to take wic (apparently you need a certain amount of fresh fruits and vegetables to get the license, which we don’t have) and I always feel real bad telling folks that. 90% of the time they’re getting baby food

Huh.

If you don't mind answering, D-1?, Neighborhood Market?, Some weird old mini-mall Super?

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

madeintaipei posted:

It would be nice if each aisle had WIC items in their own section, where possible. I've seen that happen exactly once, but only because our (not Walmart) regional manager was present during a shelf reset and wanted something else not to happen. 2 1/2 feet, five shelves high, right next to the private label sliced bread.

There's a grocery store where I lived in Inglewood that caters entirely to WIC, so you know everything in there is purchasable with vouchers, the staff can help you find what you need and won't make it an awkward experience. It's also super bright and cheerful and clean, they clearly put a lot of effort into making it a pleasant place to shop. I never needed it myself but I love that it's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

madeintaipei posted:

They've gotten a little better at this.

Went to a Walmart before the pandemic at 2am shift. Cashier couldn't get their computer to cooperate with WIC for some reason, and supervisors couldn't be assed to respond to the dispatch call and she was the only cashier on shift that night. Eventually the cashier closed her line, leaving the immigrant with crap English skills all alone as she opened a new line 2 rows down from her.