Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hot drat that’s pretty. Really like the wood-burnt aesthetic.

But how do you mark strong vs waning?

Thanks!

We just use the icon size. So inside is strong, middle waning, outside inert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

keep it down up there! posted:

I've never really been a fan of the stock element tracker in Gloomhaven. It's super weird all 6 don't fit side by side, and my group found it easy to knock them around and lose the spot at times. Especially when my buddies cat would jump onto the table.

So I decided to make us a new one out of wood. Pretty happy with how it turned now.

I also managed to keep it smaller, which is a nice bonus since we have a small kitchen table.

Getting super excited for Frosthaven now. Really hope there are no more delays so we can get to it over the winter while there is much less to do socially.

That's gorgeous, good work. Are there any files for that?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Xiahou Dun posted:

Hot drat that’s pretty. Really like the wood-burnt aesthetic.

But how do you mark strong vs waning?

I guess you'd pull the token out completely when it's Inert? So middle is strong, edge is Waning, no token is Inert?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Some Numbers posted:

I guess you'd pull the token out completely when it's Inert? So middle is strong, edge is Waning, no token is Inert?

Look at frost, wind & dark. There's enough room for three positions, just don't bump the table.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Eediot Jedi posted:

Look at frost, wind & dark. There's enough room for three positions, just don't bump the table.

If you want to get real crafty I bet you could do some neat tricks with a forstner bit and some neodymium magnets to have it "click" into preset locations

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Viper915 posted:

If you want to get real crafty I bet you could do some neat tricks with a forstner bit and some neodymium magnets to have it "click" into preset locations

The pieces are quite stable in their positions as it's a tight fit so they can only move in one direction. So I'm not too worried about bumping the table, and the stock piece would have the same issue.

Magnets is a great idea though, I bet that would be satisfying even if it doesn't add much functionality. Thanks for the idea.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

How much to make me one?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

keep it down up there! posted:

The pieces are quite stable in their positions as it's a tight fit so they can only move in one direction. So I'm not too worried about bumping the table, and the stock piece would have the same issue.

Magnets is a great idea though, I bet that would be satisfying even if it doesn't add much functionality. Thanks for the idea.

Honestly how often have you finished a little project and gone, "drat, if only I hadn't put so many magnets on this."

I rest my case.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
How do you set up monsters in TTS Crimson Scales?

We can't find them in the box and they're not listed under the Monster Setup menu with the base game and FC monsters

:confused:

Edit: someone on discord helped me. The new enemies are in the "alternate monsters and effects" envelope in the box

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 23, 2022

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

Edit: someone on discord helped me. The new enemies are in the "alternate monsters and effects" envelope in the box

Just make sure you make a copy of the monster when you use them so that if you delete the monsters at the end of the scenario they aren't gone forever.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Goddamn.

Production done. Shipments imminent. Maybe 'before Christmas' isn't so wild after all.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

dwarf74 posted:

Goddamn.

Production done. Shipments imminent. Maybe 'before Christmas' isn't so wild after all.

With shipments starting, 'before Christmas' is pretty certain for many people. It looks like fulfilment will start with North America in late October, then go from there. I wouldn't be surprised if some unlucky people don't get theirs until the new year due to Christmas-related delivery slowdowns. Honestly, if I could volunteer to be one of those people, I would, since I've already got a group working through Stars of Akarios right now and I don't think I can support two campaign board games.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Same, except it's because I might need this kitten to get older before I can play board games at home. When do young cats stop being insane? The specific kind of insane where they're an evil puppy that can climb, I mean, not the relatively functional insanity of all cats.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

dwarf74 posted:

Goddamn.

Regular Christmas or Canadian Christmas?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LongDarkNight posted:

Regular Christmas or Canadian Christmas?
It depends, did you pay with US Dollars or Canadian Dollars?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Any tips for playing jaws of the lion? A friend just picked it up and we are going to play this weekend

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

RC Cola posted:

Any tips for playing jaws of the lion? A friend just picked it up and we are going to play this weekend
It's really drat good.

For characters - Any combo can work, but if you are 2p I would avoid going with a Hatchet + Voidwarden duo. They're both excellent classes but don't have any synergy and it'll be frustrating for the Voidwarden. Any other duo works just fine

If you have 3 or 4 players, everything goes.

For tactics there's really three lessons you'll learn.
1. Avoid taking damage when possible. This is not D&D. Monsters rarely miss. If you need to change up your turn after seeing monster actions, do it. You'll learn to balance risk and reward.

2. Loss cards are flashy and powerful, but they have a cost in stamina. If you burn hot early, you'll burn out quick and may run out of cards before the end of the scenario. Hand size matters - Demolitionist can't afford many losses, but Voidwarden can.

3. Learn what monsters do and, especially, when they do it. This will take time, but it separates good players from great players.

Enjoy, it's awesome :)

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 13, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

RC Cola posted:

The game has an extensive tutorial which I wouldn't skip unless you've both already played Gloomhaven.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

RC Cola posted:

Assuming you haven't played Gloomhaven...

The items available in the beginning are endgame viable. Iron helmet is awesome for melee characters because otherwise that x2 card can end a mission, and heater shield is a workhorse. Stamina potion is a great first purchase, with plenty of cool tricks for smoothing out your rest cycle and using your best cards more often than you should.

Speaking of items and the tutorial, another reason not to skip the early missions is because there's a very nice necklace you can't get any other way.

Learning to manage the rest cycle is crucial. Some rules of thumb:
- Using one loss card per rest is a decent pace if you're getting good value out of them. You can buy yourself quite a few more turns in the future by not spending a loss card on the first cycle, but if you see a good value proposition, go for it. Clearing or trivializing a challenge with one loss card will often buy you more time than trying to tough it out over several turns.
- Don't forget that you can negate a particularly hard hit by forgetting a card from your hand (or two from discard if you're desperate). Every card is a loss card in a pinch.
- Thanks to stamina potions, loss cards, and ongoing effect shenanigans, you have some say in HOW MANY cards you reclaim when you rest. It's optimal to bring back even numbers of cards when you can for the sake of longevity whenever the option presents itself.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I hear Gloomhaven digital is scheduled to be free on EGS next week.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Dammit I came to post THAT SAME THING

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Goddamn.

i hope not. i still have to get through the forgotten circles expansion and the crimson scales stuff and we’ve only been playing blackstone fortress lately

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

So yeah as mentioned above the digital version of the game is now free for a week on the Epic Game Store (September 22 through 28 or so). I also got an email that the solo challenges were just released as DLC on steam as well for a couple bucks. Curious to see what their next project will be since Forgotten Circles and Frosthaven will both require a ton more work and changes than Jaws did.

We finished the Jaws DLC a few weeks ago, overall it was a lot of fun. The alchemy table mission can get hosed, and the final mission was too easy for us and anticlimactic after that.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

bagrada posted:

So yeah as mentioned above the digital version of the game is now free for a week on the Epic Game Store (September 22 through 28 or so). I also got an email that the solo challenges were just released as DLC on steam as well for a couple bucks. Curious to see what their next project will be since Forgotten Circles and Frosthaven will both require a ton more work and changes than Jaws did.

We finished the Jaws DLC a few weeks ago, overall it was a lot of fun. The alchemy table mission can get hosed, and the final mission was too easy for us and anticlimactic after that.

I failed the alchemy table mission so many times in so many different ways that I never finished Jaws. Like 400 hours of Gloomhaven and that’s the scenario that broke me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's weird, I barely even remember the alchemy table mission. All I know is that my team of Red Guard/Voidwarden/Hatchet did totally fine and barely had to repeat missions.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

We had red guard, demolitionist and heal focused tinker with no enhancements (the player was new to the series and asked to play a focused healer), and our host turned the diff down to the easiest setting and took about three tries playing everything himself to beat it.

We did beat it first try in the tabletop game with demolitionist, void warden and hatchet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It probably helped that the Voidwarden was played by our resident board game savant and the Red Guard was me, with basically a whole base campaign under my belt.

Hatchet was played by our less board game inclined friend, but he figured it out fairly quickly.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bagrada posted:

The alchemy table mission can get hosed
That's one of the hardest missions in all of Gloomverse. Up there with the turbo-hard GH missions, for sure.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah no chance of FH and FC seems unlikely (and ill-advised imo) but they did say they are still going to keep supporting the game after this dlc, despite not being able to say anything more than that. Hopefully some digital-exclusive content to make up for the lack of X

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Azran posted:

Yeah no chance of FH and FC seems unlikely (and ill-advised imo) but they did say they are still going to keep supporting the game after this dlc, despite not being able to say anything more than that. Hopefully some digital-exclusive content to make up for the lack of X

I hope they implement modding tools to add custom classes, items, and campaigns to the game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Do the JotL summoning table scenario on the easiest difficulty. There's no shame in that

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frosthaven/frosthaven/posts/3616566 newest update, stuff to note: there is a poll for what the spoiler class names will be, backerkits are locked in so if your address changed you need to contact their official support, shipping itself is going to plan.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
a few questions about digital, namely mods:

1) I see a bunch of "unlock all classes" type mods, but most of them have comments saying "nothing happened" or something of the sort. does anyone know which of them works? specifically in multipalyer.

2) are there any other mods worth looking at? theres ~700 on the workshop and most of the popular ones are like "+10000% exp" or "cards that burned no longer burn" which im glad people like but also not really what I'm looking for in my gloomhaven experience.

3) how do workshop mods work if some players are using Steam and others are using Epic Games?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

sirtommygunn posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/frosthaven/frosthaven/posts/3616566 newest update, stuff to note: there is a poll for what the spoiler class names will be, backerkits are locked in so if your address changed you need to contact their official support, shipping itself is going to plan.

I didn't expect to be so hyped over a list of icons.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Ugh as soon as Frosthaven is out in the wild all of those are going to get spoilered and I have very low willpower and a lot of the icons already seem so intriguing. Like what is Star Moon's deal?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Oenis posted:

Ugh as soon as Frosthaven is out in the wild all of those are going to get spoilered and I have very low willpower and a lot of the icons already seem so intriguing. Like what is Star Moon's deal?

What crazy magic does this snow class have that creates eight pointed snowflakes?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Poopy Palpy posted:

What crazy magic does this snow class have that creates eight pointed snowflakes?

I hope it is a Savvas that is entirely tuned to Ice, or at least one of the classes is a savvas and/or vermling.

I do hope one of the characters is a yeti/algox, as well.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LongDarkNight posted:

I didn't expect to be so hyped over a list of icons.
It's too bad the community sucks rear end at naming.

Like... Astral? Yeah it's cool but literally nobody will look at the symbol and say, "oh that's astral, that's totally the first thing I think of."

And Kelp? loving... Kelp? Prism?

GH ones arose as people who had no loving idea just tried to describe a symbol. People voting are not considering that.

So what I'm saying is, Price needs to do some vote fraud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
There weren't any official names for symbols in GH and I thought it was fun to see what other people online called them. I don't think we need official nicknames

Also I have nothing to back this up but I would bet a lot of money that at least one unlockable class will be an Algox

I'm also pretty sure that one of them will be a robot and I already called dibs on it with my play group