Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

njsykora posted:

You're not going to get someone in a locker with that backpack on, you'd need to cut it and that would void the warranty.

They will only honor the warranty if you stuff them in a LTT branded locker. Extra big so you can mount an EATX board in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Huge backpacks are good. I can put more groceries or D&D books in them.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The backpack is funny for being huge, but nearly all the criticism here is on Linus being a slimy dick about the warranty and not about the product itself.

Yup, I even unsubbed over the warranty bullshit. It's really lovely and stupid and I don't want to give views to someone who makes decisions like that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Jamus posted:

On the other hand you have a company like Apple where their warranties are essentially the legal minimums (in Australia at least) but under their various repair programs I have had thousands of dollars worth of hardware repaired for free years after purchase. Last week they replaced 2 year old airpods, I've had two laptops replaced, both of them a few years after purchase too.
For free or for "free" (i.e. paying for Apple Care)?

--edit:
That bag backpack better be the bee's knees in regards to compartments and adaptability, because visually, it looks like nothing special, other than being Xbox huge.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 19, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IanCutress/status/1560606897102782465?t=vkQBak59mZmBgfqQ4oju-Q&s=19

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

The backpack is funny for being huge, but nearly all the criticism here is on Linus being a slimy dick about the warranty and not about the product itself.

I do not think I can make that claim personally, no :v:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
People always gonna hate on Linus and tbh a lot of their criticism is justified. He's a young, impetuous and imperfect person lacking in appropriate guidance for his station.

I think he's alright relative to his peers. In a world where people actively install terrible people into positions of power, getting breathless over YouTube personalities seems trivial.

And I can always do a chargeback on my backpack and feel no guilt, so gently caress it all I guess? Pontificating about the warranty seems like more of a talking point for people who haven't or weren't going to buy it. :shrug:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dude is 35, last time i checked that age bracket is "adult" or "geriatric" depending on who you ask

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

He's also been doing this over a decade now.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

SlowBloke posted:

Dude is 35, last time i checked that age bracket is "adult" or "geriatric" depending on who you ask

Lmao if 35 is "geriatric" you're a loving moron, sit at the children's table and eat your chicken nuggies.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

35 is crumbling into dust in internet years.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
lol if you're not hiding your desiccated husk of a meat suit behind a vtuber avatar at the eldritch age of 35

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

35 is old for internet personality, plus he's been in the tech spotlight for over 10 years. He should know how to internet better.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
take it easy on the kid, he’s only 35

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linus’s mom enrolled him in “warranties for beginners” during summer school so I think we’re ok

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Charles Leclerc posted:

Lmao if 35 is "geriatric" you're a loving moron, sit at the children's table and eat your chicken nuggies.

35 year old pregnant women agree with you...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://twitter.com/LTTtranslator/status/1560385194426859521?t=_F41-2aXh8PuWVJAuKmZNQ&s=19

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Charles Leclerc posted:

I was born on april 1986 so i'm a loving expert on "people born in 1986 not being young anymore".

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

mewse posted:

I'm Canadian so I'd check out the LTT backpack but the price is ridiculous and I have a nice backpack from an outdoors company we have called MEC that I've had for years and seems super durable.

fake edit: I hadn't even looked at it yet. HAHAHAHAHA

do you have to wear a bike helmet if you wear this bag?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
No. Other options for looking like a dork are acceptable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Acer Pilot posted:

do you have to wear a bike helmet if you wear this bag?

Yes, the zippers may break at any time and result in the dislodging of the 600 page warranty paperwork, which may strike your head.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Finally, a bug out bag that can fit my mid tower gaming PC.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Finally, a bug out bag that can fit my mid tower gaming PC.

it absolutely cannot, it is completely unironically like 80% pouches in there

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
sometimes i worry it feels like i'm pulling my criticisms out of my butt, which i'm not. when i learned about the price i went and watched the product promo video and like - okay they didn't just get YKK zippers they got custom dual purpose YKK zippers/carabiners

watching him talk about it is where i am getting this vibe from. he's clearly extremely proud of the design and has tried to build his ideal product, or as close to it as he can get, but like - my brain is just screaming "too much!" it's entirely zippers and hidden compartments and mechanically complex little subpocket clasps and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZiSRiMe47Q

it to me comes across extremely specifically as the exact kind of first-try product that would have serious long term design issues with reliability. like, if this was a backpack company and this was their first go i'd guess that in two or three generations the product would probably get much much simpler as they got feedback, paid for warranty returns and realized more of the negative externalities of trying to engineer around every conceivable problem. there's niche and then there's homer's car and you have to be able to navigate that line very carefully. i don't know if this is where they think they're going and i sure doubt it frankly.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I have two ospreys so I will never need to buy a backpack ever again, my eyes just slide off of any attempt to sell me one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's the Homer Car of backpacks

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
here's kind of a good example of what i'm talking about, and like i'm sorry this is the business management student in me talking - if i was an investor, or an operational or logistics person, or hell was in marketing or sales, this would terrify me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZiSRiMe47Q&t=488s

now if you keep listening he goes on to justify it uh, kind of? this secret compartment functionality is justified so you have a for purpose pouch for your AirTag that is part of the design but clandestine enough so a thief wouldn't uh, detect it i guess? i think i would describe that as best as an extremely niche functionality. i have some technical queries like the airtag service pings whatever phone it's hitting to prevent stalkers i thought so how long it would remain hidden i don't know ? maybe if someone grabs your bag and you get a cop over and chase it or something. how much of your target market owns an airpod or airpod like device because it's for sure not 100%, and of them how many are demanding this functionality?

and to get the secret airtags pouch they traded missing their seasonal window where most people buy this product. if it's like he's describing and he's not kidding that's loving bonkers. people do not need an arbitrary number of backpacks and i bet the ultrapremium market they buy them even less frequently. if you were some rich kid demanding a LTT backpack for school your parents will have bought you a substitution by then, if you're a college kid who might have the disposable income you're in the same boat. if you want to make your money back on this product and compete in the market you need a product on it when people are buying backpacks, but instead we see what was more important. imo that's not a good sign.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you can build a c omputer in that back pack if you cut out a patch for a fan

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Cavauro posted:

you can build a c omputer in that back pack if you cut out a patch for a fan

I wouldn't be surprised if there was an LTT video on this already

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks Ants posted:

It's the Tetsuya Nomura character design of backpacks

but I guess for the nerd who feels the need to carry 12 different gizmos on the road and just 1 change of clothes, the "oops all pouches" design is good?

CoolCab posted:

i have some technical queries like the airtag service pings whatever phone it's hitting to prevent stalkers i thought so how long it would remain hidden i don't know ? maybe if someone grabs your bag and you get a cop over and chase it or something. how much of your target market owns an airpod or airpod like device because it's for sure not 100%, and of them how many are demanding this functionality?

the anti-stalker ping only happens when an airtag that isn't yours is around you for a while. you can't steal somebody's airtagged poo poo and then turn it off immediately.

and if I regularly had $3-4k worth of gizmos in a backpack, and an iphone, I'd strongly consider having an airtag. Since I have neither, I'd probably put my keys in that tiny pocket while traveling.

CoolCab posted:

and to get the secret airtags pouch they traded missing their seasonal window where most people buy this product. if it's like he's describing and he's not kidding that's loving bonkers.

It's $250. I don't think many school kids are gonna buy a $250 backpack. not many college students either. the size and price point are adult professional / people that travel a lot. Or college kids with money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do people really steal bags and not get all the high value items out of them ASAP before ditching the bag?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thanks Ants posted:

Do people really steal bags and not get all the high value items out of them ASAP before ditching the bag?

don't overestimate the intelligence of common criminals

edit: actually, don't overestimate anybody's intelligence:

quote:

a man flying from Destin-Fort Walton Beach reported to the sheriff’s office that $15,000 in jewelry and sunglasses had been stolen from his luggage

derp derp derp, gonna fly with 15 grand in loose valuables in my bag, what could possibly happen? I'm a cool high-roller badass, derp derp derp.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 21, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
just put it in one of the other hundred and fifty odd pouches, lol. is someone going to exhaustively search your backpack to the point it makes a difference or is this linus wanting a feature and not doing any kind of like market research. and the reason i know that backpacks sell more in the back to school period than any other is previous LTT content where they said explicitly that and how important it was for them to hit that target.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
the rob leifield of backpacks

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
can't wait to stand in line behind a nerd with this backpack at the airport's carry-on inspection

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Depending on brands, sometimes the bag is more expensive than the contents. Thiefs will check the logos on it before ditching it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Linus mentioned on the wan show that he got extremely mad at Denis and Colton because they damaged his bedroom floor while moving his bed so they could repaint his bedroom wall.

This just seems like the cost of doing business when you use your mansion as content for your youtube channel, but hey, that's just me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If he'd employed a decorator they would probably have moved the furniture without damaging the LVT floor. And anyway, a hard floor in a bedroom?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Thanks Ants posted:

If he'd employed a decorator they would probably have moved the furniture without damaging the LVT floor. And anyway, a hard floor in a bedroom?

could be allergy related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It can work if you put a big rug over it.