Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Any idea what companies pay to install their 5G towers on your building? I'm sure it varies, just wondering what the range might be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

dirby posted:

Do you mean like "(I'm) Sorry, but you're wrong about the spelling of 'faze'." or "I'm sorry, but I had a really good reason to borrow your car without permission"?

The former is using "sorry" more like a kind of interjection, but it could be perceived as an insincere apology. The latter is probably a particular type of "non-apology" or "fake apology".

But I think op means the general term. Like, you commonly hear "no disrespect, but _____" and you know some disrespect is coming. "I'm not racist, but" and you're about to hear some racist-rear end poo poo

Crocodile tears isn't quite right but it's close

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, “I’m not trying to start a political discussion, but”

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Everett False posted:

I think the assumption was that political cartoons are topical enough that no one would want to do that (obviously incorrect).

So you might just have to go to the author page and hit 'end', then scroll up slightly to trigger the loading mechanism. Repeatedly, until you hit the bottom of the infinite scroll from hell. Doing that brought me to this as the earliest Matt Bors comic on The Nib: https://thenib.com/giving-thanks-stealing-land/

To not lose your place you would have to open each comic one by one in a new tab. :rip:

It would be nice if someone had added them to comic-rocket or archivebinge but I can see how there wouldn't be a huge demand for the ability to watch a political cartoonist slowly descend into the madness of the post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Yeah i had a bad feeling that was the case. Thanks.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Is "making GBS threads/pissing your pants in fear" really a thing or just a turn of phrase? I've been in a major car accident before but my reaction was to clench everything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EricBauman posted:

And no, I will not be switching to 7zip
Why not?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

Is "making GBS threads/pissing your pants in fear" really a thing or just a turn of phrase? I've been in a major car accident before but my reaction was to clench everything.

I pissed my pants as a kid when my dad yelled at me... for peeing the bed

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

kalel posted:

I pissed my pants as a kid when my dad yelled at me... for peeing the bed

I'm sorry your dad yelled at you. When I was a kid my dad yelled at me so much I developed a facial tic. He decided to break me of that habit by calling me Captain Spasmo for the rest of the summer.

It was actually pretty funny except it made everything worse.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry, I wasn't trying to one-up you there. Just trying to commiserate.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Why not?

If you use 7zip the communists win.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Also, “I’m not trying to start a political discussion, but”

I poo poo from my, but.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Can very spicy food, like those engineered chilli peppers with fancy names, hurt you? Like, produce damage to the cells in your mouth or stomach? Or is extreme spiciness a sensation that is unpleasant but harmless?

McCracAttack posted:

A friend of mine pissed his pants when he was attacked by some dudes in a club. He had prior trauma because as a teen he was sucker punched in a crowd and the punch broke his facial bones.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Doctor Malaver posted:

Can very spicy food, like those engineered chilli peppers with fancy names, hurt you? Like, produce damage to the cells in your mouth or stomach? Or is extreme spiciness a sensation that is unpleasant but harmless?

Enough capsaicin can invoke hypothermia. Not sure if you can get enough from eating chillies to reach that level, but some of the engineered ones have insane levels of it so maybe?

Marks Lemonism
Aug 16, 2022

by Hand Knit
The levels of capsaicin that can cause actual harm will probably make you throw up before you reach them. Spicy food can make some digestive issues worse but it doesn't cause them in the first place. You can call pretty much any actual food with a lot of spice in it perfectly safe to eat, assuming the other ingredients are all good.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I don't know anything about music theory, is it possible the beginning of the song "Way Back Then" from Squid Games was influenced by the deku palace theme from Zelda?
Here's the the Deku palace theme: https://youtu.be/s1HmMKTFtgY
And here's the squid games song:
https://youtu.be/81hTGbPIXx4

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Doctor Malaver posted:

A friend of mine pissed his pants when he was attacked by some dudes in a club. He had prior trauma because as a teen he was sucker punched in a crowd and the punch broke his facial bones.

Pepper Spray is made with ([i]very concentrated[/i)] capsacin and can injure humans to a big enough degree that it's considered an illegal weapon in some locations.

wikipedia posted:

It inflames the mucous membranes in the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.[9] It causes immediate closing of the eyes, difficulty breathing, runny nose, and coughing.[10] The duration of its effects depends on the strength of the spray; the average full effect lasts from 20 to 90 minutes, but eye irritation and redness can last for up to 24 hours.[11]

[...]

For those taking drugs, or those subjected to restraining techniques that restrict the breathing passages, there is a risk of death. In 1995, the Los Angeles Times reported at least 61 deaths associated with police use of pepper spray since 1990 in the USA.[14] The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) documented 27 people in police custody who died after exposure to pepper spray in California since 1993 [15][16] However, the ACLU report counts all deaths occurring within hours of exposure to pepper spray regardless of prior interaction, taser use, or if drugs are involved. In all 27 cases listed by the ACLU, the coroners' report listed other factors as the primary cause of death; in few cases the use of pepper spray may have been a contributing factor.

The deaths are all related to difficulty breathing though afaict, so assuming a pig doesn't kneel on your neck while you're coughing your guts out (and you don't have asthma or something) you'll survive and have no permanent damage.

You could probably get a similar effect from one of the latest meme peppers since people are always trying to breed them for more capsacin, especially if you touch your face/eyes while eating. So yes to having a very unpleasant 24 hours but probably no to any permanent damage to your stomach.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 20, 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

McCracAttack posted:

i went on a whitewater canoeing trip when i was a kid and pissed my pants in fear the first time we went in a class 3 rapids. luckily i capsized and got completely soaked so no one knew!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is "op" just a term that means "you" or "buddy" or whatever? I thought it referred to the thread starter.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

credburn posted:

Is "op" just a term that means "you" or "buddy" or whatever? I thought it referred to the thread starter.

It stands for "original poster", so it can mean whoever started the whole thread, or whoever asked the question you're responding to.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

credburn posted:

op means "original poster" or "original post" but it can also mean "poster who started a particular line of conversation within a thread" or "poster I'm responding to." and sometimes it can be used in an ironic, dismissive manner, in reference to any poster. hth op

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

Any idea what companies pay to install their 5G towers on your building? I'm sure it varies, just wondering what the range might be like.

There was a reddit thread from a few years ago where a guy said a cell company wanted to put a cell tower on his property in a semi-rural area and I think the payment was a lease for few thousand per month, somewhere like $3-4k. I would imagine anything in a suburb or dense urban area would be a multiple of that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Re: “op”, I feel like it drifted from the first meaning to the second over time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OP was original poster when forums were smaller and threads were on a single topic.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

FCKGW posted:

There was a reddit thread from a few years ago where a guy said a cell company wanted to put a cell tower on his property in a semi-rural area and I think the payment was a lease for few thousand per month, somewhere like $3-4k. I would imagine anything in a suburb or dense urban area would be a multiple of that.

Interesting, thanks. More than I was guessing. I was shocked at how little billboard companies pay to stick a big rear end stand and sign on your roof or the side of your building, just a few thousand a year in not the best parts of Oakland CA.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I imagine the equipment costs for a cell tower are relatively fixed (and sizable) so it’s worth the cell company paying for the best possible location if it gives them better area coverage.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

DildenAnders posted:

I don't know anything about music theory, is it possible the beginning of the song "Way Back Then" from Squid Games was influenced by the deku palace theme from Zelda?
Here's the the Deku palace theme: https://youtu.be/s1HmMKTFtgY
And here's the squid games song:
https://youtu.be/81hTGbPIXx4

Koji Kondo didn't invent or popularise martial drumming, no. You could just as easily claim it was inspired by the JAG theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ-eOFLoDiU

It's just an existing trope that they're all influenced by.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

smackfu posted:

I imagine the equipment costs for a cell tower are relatively fixed (and sizable) so it’s worth the cell company paying for the best possible location if it gives them better area coverage.

Yeah makes sense. It goes to show just how much these companies are making despite such capital costs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah there are many accounts historically of soldiers making GBS threads or pissing themselves. Still happens too.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

In Treasure Island where does the stockade come from?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Q1: Why am I seeing this picture everywhere?

Q2: I am looking for a tablet but I don't see a tablet thread anywhere. I'm looking to just get something with a large screen that I will use almost exclusively for reading books and looking at archive.org. Is there a particular tablet or brand of tablet I should be looking into or avoiding? Looking at tablets on sites like Newegg and Amazon, they all kind of seem largely the same to me at this point, just with wildly different prices based on technical things I don't really know much about and maybe don't even apply to my needs in any way.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

credburn posted:

Q1: Why am I seeing this picture everywhere?

that's easy, it's the internet's favorite new meme

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

And it’s the reverse of the two existing “men yelling at women who are not interested in what they’re saying” memes

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

that's easy, it's the internet's favorite new meme

Errr shoot, to clarify, I guess I get it's a meme. But I generally don't follow memes and my friends don't, but this particular image is just showing up nonstop, so I thought it had some significance.

Okay, a better way to word this question should have been: is this just a random image or is there some significance to this? Should I know who either of these people are?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

credburn posted:

Q2: I am looking for a tablet but I don't see a tablet thread anywhere.

it's pinned in the Inspect Your Gadgets subforum

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

credburn posted:

Errr shoot, to clarify, I guess I get it's a meme. But I generally don't follow memes and my friends don't, but this particular image is just showing up nonstop, so I thought it had some significance.

Okay, a better way to word this question should have been: is this just a random image or is there some significance to this? Should I know who either of these people are?

it is just a random image and you don't need to know who either of them are, they're just two random college kids (?) at a concert and someone got a money shot of them that caught on with the internet

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Oh shoot, that's real obvious. I always forget about that forum and venture instead into Serious Hardware/Software Crap. Thanks!

Thank you goons for your rapid assistance!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

credburn posted:

the individuals in the photo are not notable persons afaik. it's just a funny picture

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

credburn posted:

"Drunk dude at a bar/concert talking way too close to a woman that clearly isn't interested" has been an entire genre of memes.

So seeing a pic where the dude is the uncomfortable one is a funny reversal.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
feminism rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Baron Porkface posted:

Lions regularly successfully hunt zebra. Wouldn't that means that the dazzle of zebra stripes sucks and doesn't work and would not have been evolved?

The primary purpose of the pattern is to confuse horseflies. Lions probably don't even have the visual acuity to see the stripes from far away.

It's easy to forget apes, including humans, have excellent visual acuity, only bested by birds. Cats may see better in low light, but their visual acuity would classify a human legally blind.