Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I will be here, posting itt, in 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1560325399116218372?s=20&t=AX1MAjH9DwsqoSmyuxY3Qw

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

SorePotato posted:

2053 lol imagine sitting around for another 30 years
ill be sitting in a tent city in western canada somewhere

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'll be dead

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Microplastics posted:

I will be here, posting itt, in 30 years.

Stereotype posted:

i'll be dead

giving this solid 50/50 coin flip odds

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

If I'm lucky I'll be plotting with the boys to steal some rich rear end in a top hat's tent in western canada somewhere

but tbqh

Stereotype posted:

i'll be dead

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My retirement plan is dying of dehydration in a refugee camp near the Canadian border. My dad asked me who was going to bury me when I was old, and my thought was it'll probably the soon-to-be dead hucking my corpse into a pit or bulldozing a pile of us in there.

Application: Not accepted :nsa:

[He asked me this among other times while we were walking out of a building in Sherman Oaks with my grandma's ashes. He just left the urn where she was staying when she died and skiddadled, no funeral or anything. Raising kids didn't work out for her did it?]

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
have you ever really considered your own mortality? really involved your entire mind into realizing the certain eventuality that you will someday die; your vital functions shutting down and your brain quietly ceasing all it's complex electrical activity. have you imagined what it would be like to no longer exist, to no longer be a conscious actor on the universal stage of interacting forces and matter? i have, it sounds awesome. sign me the gently caress up

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
retirement is a luxury of the petite bourgeoisie and you don't want to be them, do you now??

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I imagine it's quite like before I was born. Not sure I'd enjoy the transition from life to non-existence but if it is to happen in my sleep then I think I would quite enjoy that particular instance of falling asleep.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

not to get in the way of some good doomering but isn’t this the guy that’s always cherry-picking the absolute worst case models

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Stereotype posted:

i'll be dead

Same. But if you think that'll stop me from posting

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Stereotype posted:

have you ever really considered your own mortality? really involved your entire mind into realizing the certain eventuality that you will someday die; your vital functions shutting down and your brain quietly ceasing all it's complex electrical activity. have you imagined what it would be like to no longer exist, to no longer be a conscious actor on the universal stage of interacting forces and matter? i have, it sounds awesome. sign me the gently caress up

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Microplastics posted:

I imagine it's quite like before I was born. Not sure I'd enjoy the transition from life to non-existence but if it is to happen in my sleep then I think I would quite enjoy that particular instance of falling asleep.

the transition from not existing to me being alive is responsible for me being in this stupid hellworld so i'm inherently skeptical of any other transitions between states of existence. i mean sure, in theory oblivion sounds great, but in theory this world is full of wonders and joy and it sure as poo poo isn't delivering so far

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

pisss

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
the science behind global warming:
1) solar radiation is reradiated by the earth at less energetic wavelengths
2) greenhouse gases intercept and reemit some energy back towards the surface
3) increasing greenhouse gases increases the effect

the most obvious thing is to not do #3 and theoretically reverse it but lol we aint doing that
we cant do poo poo about #2
most directly we can impact #1, literally sherman williams the world white

while we can do poo poo about global warming that doesnt impact soil degradation
and while dealing with #3 we could reverse ocean acidification but lmao
there is tons of other bullshit but we are really at a bronze age collapse set of problems in the near future

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Stereotype posted:

The reddit theory of mind

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Wait, lye, so ash. And DMSO, so wood pulp. And heat.

The way to solve the problem of harmful remnants of firefighting foam is... more forest fires?

God the writers are such hacks. Burn it all down.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
THERES CRINGE IN THE ATMOSPHERE :negative:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ArfJason posted:

you're huffing your own farts again

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Evil_Greven posted:

the science behind global warming:
1) solar radiation is reradiated by the earth at less energetic wavelengths
2) greenhouse gases intercept and reemit some energy back towards the surface
3) increasing greenhouse gases increases the effect

the most obvious thing is to not do #3 and theoretically reverse it but lol we aint doing that
we cant do poo poo about #2
most directly we can impact #1, literally sherman williams the world white

while we can do poo poo about global warming that doesnt impact soil degradation
and while dealing with #3 we could reverse ocean acidification but lmao
there is tons of other bullshit but we are really at a bronze age collapse set of problems in the near future

Sincerely curious why you say near future and not right now, like the exact moment I am typing this and before, and presently

This really does appear to be it, even from the comfy corner of canada I'm lucky enough to be nestled in

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
THERES CRINGE IN THE GODD drat SOIL :negative:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Samuel Glompers posted:

Sincerely curious why you say near future and not right now, like the exact moment I am typing this and before, and presently

This really does appear to be it, even from the comfy corner of canada I'm lucky enough to be nestled in

the bronze age collapse is thought to have been multiple complex problems facing civilizations at the time

global warming induced climate change has been here for awhile and will steadily get worse
but civilization has not collapsed yet, as other problems are not quite here or are not affecting society enough that we fold

for example, the usa has approximately 473.3 trillion cubic feet of natural gas reserves
and the usa consumes 30.28 trillion cubic feet of natural gas annually
so that particular problem might be 1-2 decades out depending on growth and discovery

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dustcat posted:

there's going to be a moment when this finally starts penetrating into public consciousness and starts getting reflected in real estate prices, and when that starts, the shift is going to be rapid and disruptive

Buy real estate in Washington and Wyoming?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

1glitch0 posted:

Buy real estate in Washington and Wyoming?

if we were in a position to move right now i think i'd be looking around the northern atlantic and pacicic coasts

Griz
May 21, 2001

Dustcat posted:

if we were in a position to move right now i think i'd be looking around the northern atlantic and pacicic coasts

PNW is hosed, seattle was 108 last summer and this year it was 95+ for a week

central NY just has lovely winters and the constant godawful humidity

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

ArfJason posted:

ArfJason posted:

THERES CRINGE IN THE GODD drat SOIL :negative:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

there may even be cringe in this very thread!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

maybe turning on slow mode for the thread will also slow global warming

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Griz posted:

PNW is hosed, seattle was 108 last summer and this year it was 95+ for a week

central NY just has lovely winters and the constant godawful humidity

yeah north atlantic seems the better choice

would also make it easier to escape to europe while there are still international airlines running after the domestic ones collapse

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh yeah, youre laughing it up while the cringe contaminates our food supply. very not chudlike at all!!!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
THERES CRINGE IN THE FOOD :negative:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
north atlantic gonna have some fun times when amoc dies
no place is safe

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Stereotype posted:

You’ve talked about entropy a few times and it left an impression on me, especially how I think about death. Everything is temporary and falling apart over time, including us.

Seems wasteful to destroy the environment so badly that future humans can’t spring out of it though.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The us core is ne and nw, placing your bet on them is probably an ok play

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
arfjason THERES CRINGE IN YOUR LUNGS

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Fish have their environment flooded with microcringe. and it is all our fault... :negative:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

which of the 50 counties that will hit 125 heat index next year are well populated areas

i'm guessing the ones with phoenix and vegas

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Stereotype posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Evil_Greven posted:

north atlantic gonna have some fun times when amoc dies
no place is safe

coastal maine is gonna be a beautiful place to starve to death