Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I think parts have been good and parts have been bad, gonna have to wait for more before I can come to an overall opinion.

I've been really enjoying Nightwing but I felt like this issue came down with a bad case of someone having to be stupid so the plot can happen. Like, Dick knows full well Blockbuster wants to wreck his little park/project but gets no one in his big crew of heroes (including himself!) to guard it while he's out doing his big multi-point strike. And i know going "well why doesn't Superman help?" is usually a dumb question but when he's already got all the Bat-famiy + the Teen Grown Titans and he's already crossed over with Superman once, the question does kinda come to mind.

But I get it, at the end of the day it has to end with Dick getting wrecked and unmasked, I just don't like how it got there.

(probably don't need to add spoiler tags but the issue just came out so I'll leave them on)

The unmasking itself was kinda dumb. He was hit so hard his mask flew off? That thing that's attached like glue even when he's getting punted through a wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

vseslav.botkin posted:

Anybody read One Bad Day? I just finished it and the art is spectacular, but the story is very very Tom King.

* The Riddler helped set up The Killing Joke.
* He became the Riddler after his father abused him and a teacher insisted on putting riddles on his tests.
* The Riddler reveals that he was just doing riddles because he wanted to make his game with Batman more challenging.
* The Riddler has not only always known Batman's secret identity, but also he likes to hang out at Wayne manor and watch the Bat family sleep.
* He also knows about the family members of every Arkham guard, so everyone is afraid to touch him.
* Batman and Gordon decide they have to let him out of jail despite having him on tape murdering a random person because he's so smart.
* He also has the wives of Gotham's crime bosses killed but they decide not to retaliate. They're afraid of him because he's so smart.
* Batman maybe kills the Riddler at the end?

Just an absolutely baffling comic.

I sort of like the ending if the entire point of this One Bad Day series is based on the theory about Batman killing Joker at the end of The Killing Joke, so this is a series about how far the various villains would have to go for Batman to finally give up and kill them. Sort of an interesting idea for an out-of-continuity series. But yeah, I actually like Tom King more than most people around here seem to but it's not great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Tom King's comics are mostly fine to good. My issue is him being a war criminal.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Skwirl posted:

Tom King's comics are mostly fine to good. My issue is him being a war criminal.

I know he was in the CIA, but it is this speculation based on that or did he actually do something we know about?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Being in the CIA is close enough for me. The nicest things you could say is he material assisted war criminals or was terrible at his job.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Gotcha. ACAB.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Perry Normal posted:

I sort of like the ending if the entire point of this One Bad Day series is based on the theory about Batman killing Joker at the end of The Killing Joke, so this is a series about how far the various villains would have to go for Batman to finally give up and kill them. Sort of an interesting idea for an out-of-continuity series. But yeah, I actually like Tom King more than most people around here seem to but it's not great.

"Each One Bad Day one-shot is standalone. Each tells a self-contained story that doesn’t have any connection narrative connections with one another. They only connected on a thematic level, with each of them based around Batman taking on a classic villain."

I don't think that's the point of the series, especially since Catwoman's getting an issue.

Tom King is very talented -- the Riddler flashbacks in OBD were quite good -- but his characters often rub me the wrong way and his plotting has become increasingly nonsensical ever since Heroes in Crisis.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joe Fisto posted:

I know he was in the CIA, but it is this speculation based on that or did he actually do something we know about?

He was in the cia deployed to iraq during the iraq War and is proud of his service to his country.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Joe Fisto posted:

The CIA is all bastards:
Source: My country had a CIA backed Coup, like half of latinamerica.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Perry Normal posted:

But yeah, I actually like Tom King more than most people around here seem to but it's not great.

I think he's fine but imo it seems like he either does real good or real bad and not much in between, and lately (again, opinion) he's doing way more of the bad.

...also he can seem a little up his own rear end sometimes but hey I guess that's just a writing quirk at this point.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tom King is a cover band for all of Alan Moore's greatest hits.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Codependent Poster posted:

I thought that was Geoff Johns

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that was Geoff Johns

Geoff Johns sings Alan Moore karaoke.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Morrison is the Moore cover band

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/AshcanPress/status/1560269005247504384?s=20&t=XHEXbS288VFvmR5Iy-YyOA

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Eighth times the charm, I guess.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Xelkelvos posted:

Morrison is the Moore cover band

While Moore is much more influential, I far far prefer Morrison’s writing to Moore’s. This only applies to Batman, however, as I haven’t read much of anything else.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Jiro posted:

What's been the consensus on Mega Dark Final Infinite Crisis on One Earth but actually involves a bunch of others?

I stopped reading after Beast Boy was double tapped.
So far it very much feels like a story that could have, and should have, been told in an arc or two of the main Justice League book instead of being sold and drawn out like an event. Like, the Justice League being gone and other heroes having to step up to the plate is a fine story, but we've seen it done before, and so far there's not much this event is doing to distinguish itself from those other, honestly more dramatic versions of this story. Heck, we the readers (and also Wally this week) know for a fact that the JL members are all actually just fine, simply stuck in their own fake dreamworlds, so right now the actual stakes aren't even "How can we replace the League" but just "How do we get the League back from their fake dream worlds" which is kinda just...pretty bog-standard for a so-called "Crisis."

Oh and to say it for the third or fourth time, the Dark Crisis: Young Justice issues are so aggressively bad that I actually think it's possible that Bart, Tim, Conner, and Cassie's characterizations are going to be damaged by this in a lasting way.

In better news, Clark breasted very boobily down the stairs this week.

Like goddrat, Travis Moore. :stare:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 19, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The old lady telling supes to take her to pound town is cracking me up

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

BrianWilly posted:

Oh and to say it for the third or fourth time, the Dark Crisis: Young Justice issues are so aggressively bad that I actually think it's possible that Bart, Tim, Conner, and Cassie's characterizations are going to be damaged by this in a lasting way.

Young Justice is one of my favorite DC books of all time :argh:

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

The old lady telling supes to take her to pound town is cracking me up

I’m always thankful when DC editorial lets fun happen in the books. World’s Finest has been on my list for that reason, it’s fun.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Looks like Johns is going to the JSA well again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dc needs a sliding timescale and fake world War in Europe.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BrianWilly posted:

In better news, Clark breasted very boobily down the stairs this week.

Like goddrat, Travis Moore. :stare:

I prefer Clark to have a dadbod but if he doesn’t he should be very hot. I approve

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Superman Hot, So What?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I do like the idea that he should actually be super out of shape because none of his daily activities ever cause him to actually use his muscles more than an average office worker clicking on a mouse.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

He's a beefcake mainly due to the Kansas corn & beef diet.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Man, gently caress John Fox. Dick.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Wasn't Superman's design based on circus strongmen? That's a fun callback if so.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mr Hootington posted:

Dc needs a sliding timescale and fake world War in Europe.

DC in 2035: "You remember the JSA? They were before the Justice League's time, during the War in Ukraine"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

DC in 2035: "You remember the JSA? They were before the Justice League's time, during the War in Ukraine"

There are numerous fake countries already set up to use.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ah is it time for the twice-in-a-decade attempt at reviving the Wildstorm universe again?

I actually liked the 2017 attempt from Warren Ellis but none of y'all wanted to support it

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That particular revamp was handicapped more by Ellis being behind on a bunch of scripts and then being outed as a massive creep more than any members of the SomethingAwful Forums declining to support it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Jiro posted:

I stopped reading after Beast Boy was double tapped.

Look, it's not a big deal. Beast Boy and Cyborg are one composite being now, and the fact that you can perceive them as two totally separate beings is just an illusion cast by Raven to keep them from being consumed by despair. Beast Boys new robot parts should keep him safe in the long run.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Codependent Poster posted:

As odd as it sounds I think King is comparable to Garth Ennis.

Both are incredibly strong writers in their own ways, it's just that there are some big caveats you have to deal with.

Ennis is that he can produce some amazing works only he wants to. And he utterly despises Superhero books and absolutely cannot disguise his contempt for the genre when he comes anything close to a cape book, making something juvenile and crass.

King on the other hand has the opposite problem. He can write good stuff, it just that he should be kept away from the topics of the horrors of war and PTSD. And those are just about they only things he ever wants to write about. Not that he's necessarily bad about the subject, he draws a lot on his time in the CIA and his own experiences struggling with PTSD and it shows. The problem is he becomes way too self indulgent in writing about this things and it become overly distracting.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 19, 2022

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

vseslav.botkin posted:

Anybody read One Bad Day? I just finished it and the art is spectacular, but the story is very very Tom King.

I just read it and I generally agree with your take. I did find it funny how young Edward's father seemed to be modeled on Kurtwood Smith, Edward looked like Micheal Stipe, and Bruce looked like John Hamm. Decent fan casting!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dark Knights of Steel is back in November, according to Taylor so that's cool.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Dawgstar posted:

Dark Knights of Steel is back in November, according to Taylor so that's cool.

The art with that announcement is pretty sweet:

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1560834040982556672?t=3wZHxv-qzfR-_9J0YY_BlA&s=19

Supergirl's outfit is *chef's kiss* please give her an idealized / superhero-fied French revolution wardrobe more often, please and thank you.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Batman: Shaman and Batman: Gothic both suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The penguin sending killer birds to terrorize gotham and kill thousands might be the first time one of Batman's foes hit the 4 digit range in a story