Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

The coolest things it has done has been in these minitournaments. It won a desperado one season and a bounty hunters. Obviously the desperado tournament was full of loser bots. The bounty hunters he beat: Axe Backwards, Fusion, Bloodsport, and Beta (lol Beta was the bounty).

So, like, it's cool to win those tournaments but he wasn't exactly facing the top flight talent.

its beaten valkyrie, lucky, SoW, quantum, skorpios, black dragon. fusion and bloodsport aren't exactly lovely. its a solid mid tier 2 or so thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lockjaw is generally a pretty solid bot. But he just didn't have a good reliable Lockjaw for the 2021 season! Also can't really discredit the real truth, that Ribbot is a pretty drat good bot and got completely hosed over by the play in matches for the 2021 tournament.

Lockjaw relies a lot of Donald Hudson being one of the best drivers in the sport, but has some vulnerabilities and horizontal spinners, especially the undercutters just rip apart the tires.

All the 'Gatekeepers' in this series are just the bots that won their Bounty tournaments last year. Except for Tombstone who also has a giant nut so got to go straight into the Golden Bolt tournament.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think if Lockjaw went all out apeshit, instead of a half-assed wait-and-see strategy, I think they could have done it. But Ribbot definitely deserved to make it to the end, and to win it all out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Borsche69 posted:

its beaten valkyrie, lucky, SoW, quantum, skorpios, black dragon. fusion and bloodsport aren't exactly lovely. its a solid mid tier 2 or so thing

It's also 19-16 lifetime. Never really lit the world on fire.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

PostNouveau posted:

Re Double Jeopardy:

Was that the first actual hit Double Jeopardy has landed? All they got was the decorative piece.

In the replay it looks like the CO2 blast is doing it, rather than an actual hit.

MikeNCR posted:

The problem is there are very few locations where you can safely test whether or not a bot will get back on to its wheels with the weapon spun up because you both need a safe enclosure to do the testing in (not many exist) and you need a way to put the bot into those positions, while spinning, which means you can't just have someone set it into position.

But you can always turn the weapon off during a fight, so test it like that. You can't always turn it on, after all.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

oh jay posted:

I think if Lockjaw went all out apeshit, instead of a half-assed wait-and-see strategy, I think they could have done it. But Ribbot definitely deserved to make it to the end, and to win it all out.

yeah, this aint 2016. you aren't breaking anyones face with your fist anymore. get a front plow to deflect horizontal spinner shots and follow up aggressively.

i can understand at least if its like 'oh are they using the vert or horz spinner here. what setup should we use to counter'. but they dont even have a counter. the ribbot dudes never for a second even though they would use their vert + forks setup. the undercutter will counter lockjaw's forks and wheels and rear plow 100% of the time.

the only thing annoying about that potential matchup is the hypothetical 'ribbot choosing horizontal vs vertical' against 'lockjaw choosing forks vs plow wedge'. and as far as i can tell it's pissing off the producers too

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

It's also 19-16 lifetime. Never really lit the world on fire.

19 wins is still 19 wins. i mean, if you're talking about phrasing things, it was 19-12 coming into last season and before the 'not-bounty hunters'. it didnt light the world on fire but it aint - or at least it wasn't exactly poo poo. they definitely need a redesign

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Really cool double-flip by Deep Six on Shatter. I don't know how the physics even worked on that shot that sent Deep Six across the box.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Shatter took one hell of a bearing from Deep Six

Rip

Yeah that one-two shot where Deep Six knocked them up into the air and then smacked them again while they were in mid-air was like something out of an anime battle :v:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
Why are we doing hidden text again? Once it gets on cable, it’s all over.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The Shatter fight shows that hammer bots aren't a winning design. Pain Train basically did nothing for the bulk of the fight and Shatter couldn't take them out.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Gromit posted:

In the replay it looks like the CO2 blast is doing it, rather than an actual hit.

But you can always turn the weapon off during a fight, so test it like that. You can't always turn it on, after all.

Absolutely true, however many teams running heavy spinning weapons are pushing near the 60 second maximum spindown time, so if you're already spun up and can't get back on to your wheels with the weapon at a decent speed there's a good chance you'll be counted out before it slows down enough to matter. The reason most teams try to get close to that limit is that electrically/mechanically forcing your weapon to spin down can be very hard on your parts, so taking as long as you're allowed to do so minimizes damage as whatever system you use has to absorb the energy stored in the weapon and a sudden stop is an extreme shock load to most components.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bertha the Toaster posted:

The Shatter fight shows that hammer bots aren't a winning design. Pain Train basically did nothing for the bulk of the fight and Shatter couldn't take them out.

Is Sawblaze a hammer bot or does its ax spinning make it more of a spinner bot?

Shatter is playing for judge's decisions, and I think that's the biggest issue for them. They'll never be able to get out of the middle tier of bots if they can't KO a heavy hitter before the heavy hitter KOs them.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bertha the Toaster posted:

hammers are always gonna be kind of a gimped design just on the fact that you'll lose energy on the downswing due to newton's third law. i think shatter and beta use magnets to help mitigate this, but even then the hammer is only gonna be able to exert a force equal to or less than the weight of the robot + whatever the pull of the magnet is. once it exceeds that, it's going to start lifting the front of the robot on each swing, which is going to equate to lost energy.

also while the top armor is usually pretty weak, it doesnt take a lot for teams to redistribute their weight and slap like 5 extra panels on the top

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Is Sawblaze a hammer bot or does its ax spinning make it more of a spinner bot?

Shatter is playing for judge's decisions, and I think that's the biggest issue for them. They'll never be able to get out of the middle tier of bots if they can't KO a heavy hitter before the heavy hitter KOs them.

Don't they call it a hammer saw? Its a clever design blending a spinner with a hammer, get a much greater kinetic impact than a hammer on its own could do..

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Deep Six left another gash on the floor lol

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Uppercut's bracket to lose, imo. And they might be the only one capable of actually knocking out RotatoR.

Though Mammoth, as always, is the underdog to root for.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think Gruff or Glitch have a chance against Uppercut, but Uppercut's the favorite out of the bracket. Ice Wave probably has a puncher's chance.

Rotator-Uppercut would be a hell of a match.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

just watched the episode. Ooooh, you guys'll love this one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

New weapon for Uppercut "vastly increases the gyro effect" which I wouldn't have thought possible since Uppercut is one of the most gyro-ing bots in the field. Seems like a bad move based on the first fight. Not punching harder and the mobility took a huge hit.

Ice Wave losing to Free Shipping has to be the nadir of that team's Battlebots career. No one should lose to Free Shipping except, like, Rusty. *checks record* lol Free Shipping has beaten Hypershock and Bronco.

Gruff is completely hamstrung by the floor. It's got a fig leaf flamethrower, but its real weapon always seemed to me to be ramming.

lol Uppercut pulling another Sawblaze on Free Shipping.

Retrograde had a really good backup plan leading with its butt spinner, but unfortunately for them, Glitch came out of its stupor long enough to gently caress them up real good for 30 seconds. The judges' scores there were pretty funny, with Derek wayyyyyyyy off the other two (6-5s vs. 4-7).

Simultaneous knockout seems like the right call there. Glad they didn't give Uppercut the KO just for limping around. Glitch definitely managed to do more damage and deserved the win. I think it's about to get annihilated by Rotator.

The Glitch captain is so bad on camera. He may be the worst interviewee in the field.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh poo poo! Golden shot by Glitch holy hell.

Overall, a lot of weak matches this episode. Especially with Glitch and Uppercut going to the finals but being very immobile the whole time. Just a lot of bots having a hard time getting around. Pretty great finish though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

For a robot that can barely move on purpose Glitch sure does win a lot

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I was so confused when retrograde lost it's other wheel and was still driving around fine. That was some voodoo poo poo for a few seconds.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Some scattered thoughts:

Uppercut was never 100% and Glitch deserved to move onto Rotator.

Though earlier, I would have given it to Retrograde I think, but again, neither bot was at 100% so I'm willing to accept this.

"We're not a control bot. We try to go for the knockout" THEN WHY DON'T YOU LEAD WITH THE WEAPON INSTEAD OF THE WEDGE! gently caress off.

HAHA. Get hosed Victor!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Uppercut exploding Free Shipping again rules

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Uppercut exploding Free Shipping again rules

:yeah:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The extreme Gyro-ness of Uppercut finally came back to haunt them

Holy poo poo Glitch :stare: Did Rotator forget to bolt down their bot? That was a one hit disintegration

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 19, 2022

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I've seen the argument that they're just lucky, and seven's surely a lucky number, but if anything they're fighting unlucky rookie gremlins the whole time and still coming out ahead in every fight they enter. Bravo.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think that Glitch mostly deserved each of their storied wins, but taken as a whole, it feels like they've kinda Bradburyed across the finish line.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Glitch, 'We can't really drive, but our weapon will tear your rear end apart and the judges will love us'

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The armour really is great, but it feels like they'd be more consistent if they just put normal wheels on it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Alex Hattori looked so apologetic when he exploded Free Shipping again, the puppy dog eyes look he gave Gary Gin was hilarious. :v:

PostNouveau posted:

Overall, a lot of weak matches this episode.

Yeah a lot of fights where they flailed at each other and then had to wait for a judges decision, or a bot tripped right out of the gate and basically handed the win to the opponent. And that arena floor was super rough which slowed some fights to a crawl.
I was also looking forwards to some craziness from Mammoth but that just wasn't on the cards which was real disappointing. :(

Lots of low points but I think the highlights made up for it, there were a few absolutely classic moments in there.

PostNouveau posted:

The Glitch captain is so bad on camera. He may be the worst interviewee in the field
The poor dude was so frazzled, I'm guessing he was running on about 2 hrs of sleep and was barely aware of what was going on. :v:

His mention of wanting an "unbranded energy drink" was pretty weird, I suspect that he originally said something like "I need a Red Bull" and the producers made him redo the line. I also noticed that Faruq compared Uppercut to a "Rock You, Sock You" toy robot instead of the actual brand name "Rock 'Em Sock 'Em".

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
That was nuts. Glitch managing to just happen to be pointing the right way from flailing around so often. Almost pulling the Tombstone signature move of baiting with the wheel and going for the kill, but by accident.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i kept asking myself "there's no way they can keep falling upwards" but god drat they did

no idea how Rotator the Tank decided to die immediately to a shot that it's endured hundreds of times before

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's like a boxing match with a guy in a wheelchair with flat tires, he can't move around too good, but if he hits you, you get knocked the gently caress out.

It's a pretty good accomplishment knocking out Rotator. Tantrum managed to get Rotator out of the box, in the last seconds. But before that, the last team to knockout Rotator was Biteforce in 2018.

If they fix their mobility issues for the next season, Glitch could likely be the bot to beat. Although I guess they are also likely to get matches with other top tier teams...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

logikv9 posted:

i kept asking myself "there's no way they can keep falling upwards" but god drat they did

no idea how Rotator the Tank decided to die immediately to a shot that it's endured hundreds of times before

I think that shot was a lot weirder than it first looked. In the slowmo, it hits twice and the first one lifts it up a bit and the second one delivers a blast to a part of Rotator that clearly wasn't ready to take a hit of that magnitude.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

In my head, I'm already prototyping some kind of Tantrum-but-with-lifting-arm bot. Some kind of spinner that can be tucked away while building up speed, and the strategy is to pin, lift, and then attack the underbelly.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

PostNouveau posted:

I think that shot was a lot weirder than it first looked. In the slowmo, it hits twice and the first one lifts it up a bit and the second one delivers a blast to a part of Rotator that clearly wasn't ready to take a hit of that magnitude.

They're saying on the reddit that Rotators own blade cut into its underbelly which was changed from titanium to aluminum. The first cut removed the all the screws, then when the blade came back around it cut out what was left.

oh jay posted:

In my head, I'm already prototyping some kind of Tantrum-but-with-lifting-arm bot. Some kind of spinner that can be tucked away while building up speed, and the strategy is to pin, lift, and then attack the underbelly.

This is close!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_m9B4y_C-qqiWLVJqlh1NPLOr2D-pdcL

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

GuavaMoment posted:

They're saying on the reddit that Rotators own blade cut into its underbelly which was changed from titanium to aluminum. The first cut removed the all the screws, then when the blade came back around it cut out what was left.

Oh my god, I love it even more now that I know it's some Final Destination poo poo.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Making of Switchback from the Strange Parts YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4IL7WU-XyI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

TomR posted:

That was nuts. Glitch managing to just happen to be pointing the right way from flailing around so often. Almost pulling the Tombstone signature move of baiting with the wheel and going for the kill, but by accident.

I’m coming around to the idea he’s playing possum on purpose