Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

These AI generated images are getting weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thanks, multiple previous owners.

Edit: Three loving layers of paint on these walls and outlets.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 20, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Of course they couldn't take the plate off - the screw slot is full of paint.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Hasn't it been since the 60s that grounds were required in the US? I'd be scared of what kind of wiring you're going to find if you pull those plates off.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

binge crotching posted:

Hasn't it been since the 60s that grounds were required in the US? I'd be scared of what kind of wiring you're going to find if you pull those plates off.

2 wires are less scary than three, no?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

binge crotching posted:

A two prong outlet is a million times better than an ungrounded three prong. That's basically just a perfectly safe usb charging port.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

null_pointer posted:

(The window washer takes a long, hard stare at the house, not moving for several minutes. At the end of it, he pulls out his clipboard and estimate sheet, scrawls "gently caress YOU" in capital letters, across it, diagonally, and hands it to the homeowner. He throws his name tag on the ground, and leaves.)

"the viper is coming" :evilbuddy:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

binge crotching posted:

Yeah uh I'm not messing with anything electric besides replacing a switch if it needs it. A full rewire is on the list, pretty sure it's mostly original from 1955 or so.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Leviathan Song posted:

A two prong outlet is a million times better than an ungrounded three prong. That's basically just a perfectly safe usb charging port.

Why is that?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Yeah uh I'm not messing with anything electric besides replacing a switch if it needs it. A full rewire is on the list, pretty sure it's mostly original from 1955 or so.

Yeah, rewire for sure when you have the money for it. It's probably old fabric insulated, which can fall apart with age. At least it's unlikely to be asbestos infused, since that wasn't common in standard household wiring.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Save the clock tower.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jows posted:

Why is that?

Because some devices with grounds may not work right (if you’re lucky) or fail completely, or be a shock hazard (if you’re not) when plugged into an ungrounded receptacle with a ground lug

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Jows posted:

Why is that?

Any two pronged cord that you plug in to isn't expecting and is perfectly safe without a ground connection. Lots of lamps and usb chargers work that way perfectly safely.

If someone throws a three prong outlet in to that outlet box and just doesn't connect the ground wire because there is no ground wire running to the outlet, then you can plug 3 prong cords in to it but the ground isn't actually functional. Appliances that need a ground wire to function properly or even safely can be plugged in to it and you can end up frying your electronics or even ending up with electronics where the case is hot and can electrocute you. Malfunctioning electronics that would trip a circuit breaker with a correctly grounded outlet can be deadly.

I'd prefer an outlet that I know is ungrounded and can't plug an appliance that should be grounded in to like that to one that pretends to be grounded by having the extra hole. That kind of dangerous outlet is super common in lovely renovations of old houses.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This is also why it's a bad idea to use those old extension cords where you can plug a three-pronged cord into a two-pronged outlet and leave the ground prong just hanging in midair.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Or just be like my grandpa and take a pair of bolt cutters to that pesky ground.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Leviathan Song posted:

Any two pronged cord that you plug in to isn't expecting and is perfectly safe without a ground connection. Lots of lamps and usb chargers work that way perfectly safely.

If someone throws a three prong outlet in to that outlet box and just doesn't connect the ground wire because there is no ground wire running to the outlet, then you can plug 3 prong cords in to it but the ground isn't actually functional. Appliances that need a ground wire to function properly or even safely can be plugged in to it and you can end up frying your electronics or even ending up with electronics where the case is hot and can electrocute you. Malfunctioning electronics that would trip a circuit breaker with a correctly grounded outlet can be deadly.

I'd prefer an outlet that I know is ungrounded and can't plug an appliance that should be grounded in to like that to one that pretends to be grounded by having the extra hole. That kind of dangerous outlet is super common in lovely renovations of old houses.

I bought an outlet tester before we moved into the house we bought last year because i wanted to double check and make sure that there weren't any open grounds not protected by a GFCI. Then i went back to the house we were renting and plugged it in a socket out of curiosity and quickly figured out the house was full of open grounds we'd been using for almost two years. Knowing the guy who owned the house I'm sure he did it himself while he was still living there.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Leviathan Song posted:

That makes perfect sense, thanks!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Or just be like my grandpa and take a pair of bolt cutters to that pesky ground.
Your grandpa had no clue what the hell he was doing.

You pull them out with a pair of channel locks.

Jows
May 8, 2002

When I moved into my house the PO left bidets on two toilets. All fine and good, except he pulled the ground plugs out to plug these things into the shittiest, thinnest, two prong drop cords you can buy to reach the outlet. The heaters on the bidets were 1500 watts. I bet you could feel the heat on the drop cord wire.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm really glad y'all talked about those three prong adapters. My partner got a free 55" TV from her friend and casually mentioned to me that she bought an adapter for the wall. Guess we'll be running an extension cord to the basement or something for a bit lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm really glad y'all talked about those three prong adapters. My partner got a free 55" TV from her friend and casually mentioned to me that she bought an adapter for the wall. Guess we'll be running an extension cord to the basement or something for a bit lol

I would get an inline GFCI and call it a day.

Actually, I would replace the outlet with a GFCI model and put a “No equipment ground” sticker on it, but if you’re not comfortable with electrical work, go with the plug & play solution.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Technically those adapters are fine if the outlet itself is grounded and the metal ring on the adapter is placed under the screw that attaches the faceplate. Those are some big caveats, but it's what makes those adapters legal to sell in the way Linux ISOs make BitTorrent legal.

Still better to just get a GFCI outlet.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

Technically those adapters are fine if the outlet itself is grounded and the metal ring on the adapter is placed under the screw that attaches the faceplate. Those are some big caveats, but it's what makes those adapters legal to sell in the way Linux ISOs make BitTorrent legal.

Still better to just get a GFCI outlet.

Anecdotes are not data but I've used torrents to download legal software a dozen times and never in my life seen those metal ring adapters used correctly. If there's a ground then a proper outlet, faceplate, and some wire nuts are in the same aisle and an extra dollar.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Platystemon posted:

I would get an inline GFCI and call it a day.

Do they make these in a version that lets you plug a 3 prong device into a 2 prong outlet because you're renting the house you live in?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BonerGhost posted:

Do they make these in a version that lets you plug a 3 prong device into a 2 prong outlet because you're renting the house you live in?

They do, but I've never seen one that wasn't meant to be wired onto the devce.

Example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/ELEGRP-1-ft-15-Amp-Manual-Reset-2-Prong-in-Line-Portable-GFCI-Replacement-Plug-Assembly-G1215CM2/316408266

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Slugworth posted:

Your grandpa had no clue what the hell he was doing.

You pull them out with a pair of channel locks.

You have no idea. There is a long and glorious history of men in my family trying to burn down their houses, maim their children, and generally destroy society via badly DIY’ing poo poo.

As an example my great grandpa apparently heard that it was possible to recharge d-cell batteries with heat. This would have been the 1920s or so. So he left a brace of them on a coal oil stove overnight. They blew up and started a small fire. Family legend so grain of salt but one of my uncles swears there was still damage visible when he helped re-do the kitchen in the 70s.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Cyrano4747 posted:

You have no idea. There is a long and glorious history of men in my family trying to burn down their houses, maim their children, and generally destroy society via badly DIY’ing poo poo.

As an example my great grandpa apparently heard that it was possible to recharge d-cell batteries with heat. This would have been the 1920s or so. So he left a brace of them on a coal oil stove overnight. They blew up and started a small fire. Family legend so grain of salt but one of my uncles swears there was still damage visible when he helped re-do the kitchen in the 70s.

1920s equivalent of microwaving your iphone lmao

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my father always does things correctly and up to code but nevertheless my one similar story is that right when rechargeable AA batteries became a thing he decided to try a few non-rechargeable dead batteries in there.

somehow I heard the popping noise all the way upstairs in the middle of the night and went down to unplug it. no fire and the thing was enclosed for some reason but there was a lot of loose battery acid in there.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

My coworker lives in/near the Great Dismal Swamp and was bitching that the PO of his house basically slapped a second story on top and everything is just wrong. I sent him the groverthread with a "this you?" and he told me that there's nothing wrong with groverhaus and he doesn't understand why everyone is making fun of it.

Either his house is worse or he's the new groverowner.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Slate Slabrock posted:

My coworker lives in/near the Great Dismal Swamp and was bitching that the PO of his house basically slapped a second story on top and everything is just wrong. I sent him the groverthread with a "this you?" and he told me that there's nothing wrong with groverhaus and he doesn't understand why everyone is making fun of it.

I regret to inform you that your coworker is Grover

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Not trying to Doxx Grover or anything, but I'd be curious to see any google streetview or satellite photos of the property to see if it's still standing, or what additions have been made.

For that matter, I wonder if BeatmasterJ's (right username?) house-for-attracting-females has a new owner, and if there are any real estate photos of the interior.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Slate Slabrock posted:

lol

MetaJew posted:

Not trying to Doxx Grover or anything, but I'd be curious to see any google streetview or satellite photos of the property to see if it's still standing, or what additions have been made.

when that Microsoft flight sim came out a couple years ago someone almost immediately crashed a (virtual) plane into it

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Slate Slabrock posted:

If nothing about the house tips him off, if he ever sees the neighborhood around groverhaus he'd understand quick. People pay a lot of money to not have to look at non-Euclidean barns.

MetaJew posted:

For that matter, I wonder if BeatmasterJ's (right username?) house-for-attracting-females has a new owner, and if there are any real estate photos of the interior.

As of 2018 it did, and the exact same vehicles were in the yard.

EDIT: April 2019

meanwhile across the street

Rev. Bleech_ fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 21, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That picture of the back doesn't look that bad, unless I'm missing something. All the horrors are inside and on the front.

The windows appear to match and everything!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

That picture of the back doesn't look that bad, unless I'm missing something. All the horrors are inside and on the front.

The windows appear to match and everything!

The two-depth double garage?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

The two-depth double garage?

I think there is a quota of at least one house a block with that in suburbia. I know my neighborhood has quite a few of those sprinkled around. Some original to being built in the 80s, and some due to shoehorning a 3rd garage bay onto the property.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
What's actually wrong with the haus vs just ugly anyway? I live in a whole development of giant cubes with odd windows, this is just normal in the US

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Orvin posted:

I think there is a quota of at least one house a block with that in suburbia. I know my neighborhood has quite a few of those sprinkled around. Some original to being built in the 80s, and some due to shoehorning a 3rd garage bay onto the property.

Yeah I didn't even look twice at that, it's pretty normal around here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

slurm posted:

What's actually wrong with the haus vs just ugly anyway? I live in a whole development of giant cubes with odd windows, this is just normal in the US

- Zero attention to aesthetics, just plopped down a gigantic box tumor on the side of a regular house
- Couldn't get an inspector willing to sign off on it, so instead he got licensed as an inspector and then signed off on his own work
- Put a window at floor level at the staircase landing, right where someone (e.g. a child) falling down the stairs would crash through them
- Put the thermostat where it will get direct sunlight
- Load-bearing drywall

That's the main stuff I remember. I'm sure there's more but I don't really care to refresh my memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

- Zero attention to aesthetics, just plopped down a gigantic box tumor on the side of a regular house
- Couldn't get an inspector willing to sign off on it, so instead he got licensed as an inspector and then signed off on his own work
- Put a window at floor level at the staircase landing, right where someone (e.g. a child) falling down the stairs would crash through them
- Put the thermostat where it will get direct sunlight
- Load-bearing drywall

That's the main stuff I remember. I'm sure there's more but I don't really care to refresh my memory.

How could you forget the batt insulated stairs