Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

John A posted:

DEAN THOMPSON! A stalwart of the Giant Days series (in many ways everyone’s favourite character), but eight years have passed and in the meantime he has been given responsibility for children. Astonishing.

ITEM! Enjoy today’s the special programming joke just for computer likers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

of COURSE it's Dean

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

INTP (introverted, intuitive, thinking, perceiving) is one of the 16 personality types described by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI).

Also, an appearance of the Nokia N-Gage sidetalking.

...Wait, it's 2022? Oh. Oh, right.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm gonna be real angry if this turns into a Claire bursts at this woman and hurts her feelings and feels bad about it afterwards storyline.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm thinking Claire will set her on fire

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Good god, Claire, just get out of your seat and go stand with that cute boy

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
are we supposed to sympathize with claire here? she's doing literally what the dean guy did yesterday - being a weird dick about people being social. i'm sure this seemingly nice woman who thinks you're her friend appreciates you sitting there seething rudely instead of asking her to stop, or moving. london commuter brain.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, I think it's definitely intentional that Claire has worked her irritation up with this woman up into burning hatred (flames... flames... the side of my face... licking.... heaving breaths) because she's unable to bring herself to take any of the much smaller steps needed to set boundaries before it turned into a bright red line.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

CoolCab posted:

are we supposed to sympathize with claire here? she's doing literally what the dean guy did yesterday - being a weird dick about people being social. i'm sure this seemingly nice woman who thinks you're her friend appreciates you sitting there seething rudely instead of asking her to stop, or moving. london commuter brain.

Didn't see the dean guy doing anything wrong tbh, he did exactly what you want claire to do really.

Claire is ovbiously afraid of conflicts and hurting the womans feelings and has trouble stopping her. But one would think a social person would've picked up the clues the other party doesn't like them, or they do but don't care.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

Nah I'm pretty much in favor of leaving strangers alone on public transport. If they don't give any cues that they want to continue conversing, lay off.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Maxwell Lord posted:

Nah I'm pretty much in favor of leaving strangers alone on public transport. If they don't give any cues that they want to continue conversing, lay off.

i mean that's explicitly not what she wants, she wants to be hit on in public transportation. also claire you'd rather romantic pursuit by someone who doesn't give his seat up for an older lady on the bus to be nice?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Didn't see the dean guy doing anything wrong tbh, he did exactly what you want claire to do really.

Claire is ovbiously afraid of conflicts and hurting the womans feelings and has trouble stopping her. But one would think a social person would've picked up the clues the other party doesn't like them, or they do but don't care.

i also don't talk to people on the bus and am not trapped by terrible english politeness etiquette to not (for example) say "oh sorry i've got a class in an hour" when plainly putting on my headphones if i don't want to talk to someone. it's framed like the woman being unreasonable instead of the woman thinking she's made a friend to talk to because that's quite literally what happened.

you can either be delighted by the nature of some people and realize they are so extroverted they will literally talk your ear off on the bus, aren't folk queer, and engage with them, or you can be like, the 1% rude this entire neurotic country refuses to be and as such does the 90% rude of pretending otherwise. or you can passive aggressively seethe at a situation you've caused and behave like you're being tortured when someone has the incredible cheek to talk about her families issues with gambling.

and yes dean is 100% politer than claire! it's presented like the total opposite but

communicating his preferences clearly and in frankly not that rude a way. nipping this poo poo in the bud by being blunt but frank rather than sitting there being rude and telling yourself the other guy is, the english condition.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

CoolCab posted:

you can either be delighted by the nature of some people and realize they are so extroverted they will literally talk your ear off on the bus, aren't folk queer, and engage with them, or you can be like, the 1% rude this entire neurotic country refuses to be and as such does the 90% rude of pretending otherwise. or you can passive aggressively seethe at a situation you've caused and behave like you're being tortured when someone has the incredible cheek to talk about her families issues with gambling.

sorry, I've got class in half an hour

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

sorry, I've got class in half an hour

it's lovely that you're getting some!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just want to say that avant-garde phone usage is probably one of my favourite of Allison's running gags.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Flying Nun, that's a pretty deep cut for anyone outside of NZ.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Flying Nun, that's a pretty deep cut for anyone outside of NZ.

That's the sort of reference that would fly completely over my head, but it turns out to be the perfect little detail a millennial kiwi into indie music would likely wear.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

That's the sort of reference that would fly completely over my head, but it turns out to be the perfect little detail a millennial kiwi into indie music would likely wear.

Please enjoy Death And The Maiden by The Verlaines.

Or the Elemeno P cover, but that wasn't published by Flying Nun.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

What a beautiful kimono. That’s Dean Thompson style, then and now. Lottie is far too young for the X-Files, but this fascination will be explored in the next Solver story.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Kidz Bop Tura Satana is an interesting turn of phrase

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i have no frame of reference of who dean thompson is other than people reacted to him turning back up, but thus far i like that guy. very astute.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

"We're kinda like Mulder and Scully. She's like Scully, she's analytical, she's got the brains, and I'm a man with brown hair"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

CoolCab posted:

i have no frame of reference of who dean thompson is other than people reacted to him turning back up, but thus far i like that guy. very astute.

He was a side character from Giant Days:

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Aug 24, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

He also set up a business that re-wrote existing essays for students to turn in as their own, then fled when found out.

AND he broke Ed Gemmel's coffee maker by trying to make a smoothy in it, the bastard.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 24, 2022

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

loving hell that art.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

loving hell that art.

Max Sarin is a treasure.

Just found a page that better exemplifies Dean's character as compared to our current "DT":

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Maxwell Lord posted:

Kidz Bop Tura Satana is an interesting turn of phrase

I must admit that confused me too. Why'd his mind go there of all people (not that Tura Satana isn't an individual to be proud to be compared to, she's just not someone I'd ever associate with Lottie)?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 24, 2022

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Strictly the straight bangs and black hair, I suppose.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
cause he's already done variants on "pint sized Vamperella" and similar

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I just checked, and Dean and Lottie never meet in Giant Days.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Lottie this is an extremely bad move.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't really understand their business idea. How will this make them money?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I don't really understand their business idea. How will this make them money?

I think (currently) it's a pro bono endeavor to make them both feel better about their lives.

If word gets out maybe they will make actual money? Exposure!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling Charlotte is good at scheming but not always clear on the outcome of said schemes.

Wild Card, bitches!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
They've identified Dean as a "problems nexus" which, if captured, will allow them access to a network of other people with problems that they can solve.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Ah, here comes the local chavs!

John A posted:

Sharp eyed viewers will recognise three of these toughs from GDxB.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dean isn't a client
Dean is bait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

John A posted:

The return of the giant sloth, living carpet and automated one-man band! I love those guys! Especially when I don’t have to draw the one-man band. I suppose, strictly speaking, he’s a no-man band. But that’s a question for robot personhood experts.