Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

SkeletonHero posted:

The fatality on Cactuars is great. Jack picks them up by the leg and they instantly crystallize, implying they just die of fright as soon as they're caught.

I'm also playing this currently and have to say the FF megathread is right: this version of Ultima is absolutely the best version of the spell and worth the hype. It takes a bit to set up but it looks badass and will kill/stun everything in the room, bosses included.

The game is one of the funniest I've ever played. There's a scene early on where a bunch of plot is exposited, to which Jack is barely paying attention. His only contribution is to mutter "Bullshit!" and then power walk out of the room blasting Limp Bizkit on his iPod. I just finished a mission where the highlight was getting on an elevator and having Jack's companions, apropos of nothing, instantly start talking loudly amongst themselves about how cool and strong he is. Just some real charming vintage edgelord poo poo that was thought dead and buried by the mid-2000s. I can't believe none of this poo poo was intentional.

Its funny how the game wraps around some stupid to great, and keeps going and makes that circle a few more times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've been playing Deep Rock Galactic exclusively as the Gunner class, because once you hit max level you unlock some additional playable content. Well, I hit max level yesterday, so I checked out the Scout. Went into a mission, exited the drop pod, got my flare gun confused with my grapple gun, grappled out over an open pit, and fell to my death. A+ would die again.

Earlier this year they released a 'census' of sorts and one of the datapoints was downs, gravity was the winner by an order of magnitude iirc.

MadDogMike posted:

They can apparently react to its “corpse” if you kill it, though probably just because it triggers their usual “dead civilian” reaction code.

As for phobias in games, I have a fear of bees/wasps, which made Fallout New Vegas’s cazadores a nightmare to deal with. Fortunately I tend to go for stealthy sniper builds in Fallout so I could minimize them buzzing up to my face by simply blasting them from far away, but ick, I loathe them far beyond even their default nastiness in the game.

:same: but also radscorpions as well.

Kitfox88 has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Aug 18, 2022

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

The fatality on Cactuars is great. Jack picks them up by the leg and they instantly crystallize, implying they just die of fright as soon as they're caught.

I'm also playing this currently and have to say the FF megathread is right: this version of Ultima is absolutely the best version of the spell and worth the hype. It takes a bit to set up but it looks badass and will kill/stun everything in the room, bosses included.

The game is one of the funniest I've ever played. There's a scene early on where a bunch of plot is exposited, to which Jack is barely paying attention. His only contribution is to mutter "Bullshit!" and then power walk out of the room blasting Limp Bizkit on his iPod. I just finished a mission where the highlight was getting on an elevator and having Jack's companions, apropos of nothing, instantly start talking loudly amongst themselves about how cool and strong he is. Just some real charming vintage edgelord poo poo that was thought dead and buried by the mid-2000s. I can't believe none of this poo poo was intentional.

Jack is very cool and strong, tbf

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

Earlier this year they released a 'census' of sorts and one of the datapoints was downs, gravity was the winner by an order of magnitude iirc.

I am not remotely surprised. When my friends and I play, gravity is our #1 killer by a wide margin, to the point that I'll be doing some mining, turn around, and see my friend's silhouette is downed and just kind of sigh and go "okay, what happened this time?" "I fell...again"

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Horizon: Forbidden West has an accessibility setting I've never seen before but really appreciate: a toggle for high-pitched ringing sounds a la tinnitus. As someone with lifelong, brutally loud tinnitus I appreciate the option to not be reminded of it while playing a game.
That's a nice deep-cut accessibility option. Similarly, having had misophonia for as long as I can remember, I appreciated Chicory allowing me to turn off "wet sounds" (along with a host of other toggles to ensure a more comfortable experience). It didn't even have many wet sounds compared to, say, your average RE title.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Disaster Report 4 is a bizarre game but at one point someone asked me if I worked in their store and I told them I was lieutenant Gerald McKellan (complete with salute) and now on my status screen it tells me my occupation is "Self-proclaimed lieutenant Gerald McKellan"

This is a game set in Japan btw.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Morpheus posted:

Disaster Report 4 is a bizarre game but at one point someone asked me if I worked in their store and I told them I was lieutenant Gerald McKellan (complete with salute) and now on my status screen it tells me my occupation is "Self-proclaimed lieutenant Gerald McKellan"

This is a game set in Japan btw.

I love the premise of that game but not sure how “good” it is. What’s your opinion on it? I saw a used copy for about 40-50 bux but couldn’t justify it. Are you enjoying it?

Edit: okay Nevermind! I saw the switch copy for sale and apparently it has terrible performance issues.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Der-Wreck posted:

I love the premise of that game but not sure how “good” it is. What’s your opinion on it? I saw a used copy for about 40-50 bux but couldn’t justify it. Are you enjoying it?

Edit: okay Nevermind! I saw the switch copy for sale and apparently it has terrible performance issues.

I'm playing it on the PS5 and it doesn't seem to have performance issues here. That said, it's not worth $40 - I got it for free as part of the PS+ Extra service, I'd probably pay maybe $10-$15 for it? The gameplay so far is really basic, running around talking to people to get little story bits or advance the main plot. Probably gets a little more involved later, but yeah at the moment it's not a good game, but it is entertaining in its absurdity (like when searching for three high school girls who have wandered off, you have text options and for each of them, the option "She seems like my type! Think I'll give it a shot." appears. No idea what happens if you pick it). Just a real weird title.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

tonberries are made of the hatred and grudges of departed spirits so one interpretation of this is they’re literally allergic to affection

Honestly I like the interpretation more that Jack is just so full of hatred for Chaos that putting his hand directly on a Tonberry basically makes it overload.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I’m finally getting around to playing Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey and it’s my first AC game. There are a lot of little things to enjoy but several of my favorites include:

• Isthios, your eagle, will land on your arm as an idle animation while you’re futzing around in the Merchant’s menu
  • The little wrist flick after crawling out of deep water to shed any extra droplets
  • Nobody comes out to explain to the player what a “misthios” (mercenary/sell-sword) is, instead the concept is presented naturally and organically through gameplay and dialogue
  • Having fall damage be non-lethal from the outset, and not having to spend points on removing it altogether later on

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FreshFeesh posted:

• Nobody comes out to explain to the player what a “malaka” is, instead the concept is presented naturally and organically through gameplay and dialogue

:hmmyes:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

:golfclap:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

I’m finally getting around to playing Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey and it’s my first AC game. There are a lot of little things to enjoy but several of my favorites include:

• Isthios, your eagle, will land on your arm as an idle animation while you’re futzing around in the Merchant’s menu
  • The little wrist flick after crawling out of deep water to shed any extra droplets
  • Nobody comes out to explain to the player what a “misthios” (mercenary/sell-sword) is, instead the concept is presented naturally and organically through gameplay and dialogue
  • Having fall damage be non-lethal from the outset, and not having to spend points on removing it altogether later on

AC: Odyssey is such an incredible game, I remember people complaining about it being too Action RPG with levels and ability unlocks and stuff, but the concept worked great for me :shrug:

And holy god is it long if you do side content.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I think just getting off the first island in Odyssey pretty much counts as a complete satisfying game to me. Same as every time I start a bloated mod-filled Skyrim run I get to the end of Whitehearth Barrow and maybe the first dragon and thats good enough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

AC Odyssey is a video game where you can summon your own mom to stab dudes for you and I think there should be more games like that.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete
I prefer summoning someone's mom to slap the poo poo out of them, like in Final Fantasy X.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

exquisite tea posted:

AC Odyssey is a video game where you can summon your own mom to stab dudes for you and I think there should be more games like that.

still bummed that Oedipus DLC got cancelled

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
This is the first time I've heard that falling damage is nonlethal in later AC games. At first I'm like, what the gently caress that's stupid. But then I remember falling forty stories but at the last moment grabbing onto a ledge. If that doesn't tear my arms right off, then I guess faceplanting on a stone road shouldn't kill me either.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

credburn posted:

This is the first time I've heard that falling damage is nonlethal in later AC games. At first I'm like, what the gently caress that's stupid. But then I remember falling forty stories but at the last moment grabbing onto a ledge. If that doesn't tear my arms right off, then I guess faceplanting on a stone road shouldn't kill me either.

In Ac Odyssey you've also got divine blood so it makes sense that something as paltry as gravity shouldn't kill you. By the end of it you're taking on gods and finding your way through afterlives so basically gently caress fall damage

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Tumble posted:

still bummed that Oedipus DLC got cancelled

There was an Oedipus-based side mission which was actually pretty well done!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Man i should really replay odyssey with the dlc, never finished it with those

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I never even played the DLC everyone complains about, but Odyssey + the Atlantis DLC is one of those things where it was right at the edge of being too much of a good thing. I love the game, but there's just so dang much of it. And there's definitely a me problem there in that I'm free to stop playing at any point, but having the DLC tacked on means there's another end in sight that I want to get to, even if I'm really winding down on the game.

Still, though, it's been a couple years now and I feel myself wanting to go back and replay it all again :getin:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I never even played the DLC everyone complains about, but Odyssey + the Atlantis DLC is one of those things where it was right at the edge of being too much of a good thing. I love the game, but there's just so dang much of it. And there's definitely a me problem there in that I'm free to stop playing at any point, but having the DLC tacked on means there's another end in sight that I want to get to, even if I'm really winding down on the game.

Still, though, it's been a couple years now and I feel myself wanting to go back and replay it all again :getin:

Too much of a good thing is basically the Ubisoft motto

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Opopanax posted:

Too much of a good thing is basically the Ubisoft motto

I thought it was "shelter and nurture sex pests."

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Agents are GO! posted:

No, that's the mission statement

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

No, that's the mission statement

It's weird because Ubisoft seems to have two settings for their big games: knocking it out of the park and just completely forgettable

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Agents are GO! posted:

No you're thinking of literally every corporation in the world

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It's weird because Ubisoft seems to have two settings for their big games: knocking it out of the park and just completely forgettable

It's basically by design. The big game companies all do it in a similar way. There's the A-Team who get five years to make something big, they get creative freedom, get to build new engines etc.

Then there's the B, C, D teams etc, who get one year to make a new game out of the assets from the last A team project.

Sometimes, this works out really well (Majora's Mask, New Vegas etc.)

Other times, you get Watch_Dogs.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The weirder pattern with Ubisoft games is Solid First Entry -> The One Everyone Just Loves -> Suddenly We Put B and C Team On This poo poo and Everything's Off.

Perfectly describes the Ezio Trilogy, the modern AC trilogy, I'd argue it even applies to Watchdogs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Agents are GO! posted:

It's also 'gay people don't exist.' Which is why the DLC for Odyssey forces your character into a heterosexual marriage and children.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Cythereal posted:

It's also 'gay people don't exist.' Which is why the DLC for Odyssey forces your character into a heterosexual marriage and children.

That's a leap

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vic posted:

That's a leap

The name of the achievement for completing the DLC that ends in your character getting forced into a heterosexual marriage and having a child was 'Growing Up' before fan outcry made Ubisoft change the name (but not the plot).

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Death's Door supports ultrawide monitors, which I didn't expect for an indie(?) game like that. And it looked great on it. I also really enjoyed that the final boss takes a moment before the fight to let you know that stopping them can only end in killing them. And they won't just let themselves die, so they'll be fighting for their life. It really made it feel like the fight was between two characters with agendas and stakes. Even though mechanically it wasn't that different than other video game boss fights, it helped make it feel like they were throwing everything they had at you

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Hyper Princess Pitch is a small indie twin-stick shooter where you play as a princess with a cannon, invading Santa's workshop after he didn't give her any gifts for Christmas. There's a secret level with a secret room in it, where a giant woman appears and this dialog shows up:

quote:

Woman: I <explosions> AM THE GODDESS <explosions> OF EXPLOSIONS!!!!!
Princess: I know, Mom, sheesh.

And then she teaches you the Galactic Princess Buster technique, which involves...well, I'll let the ending speak for itself (timestamped to 22:10):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZjDOvFtXL4&t=1330s

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

John Murdoch posted:

The weirder pattern with Ubisoft games is Solid First Entry -> The One Everyone Just Loves -> Suddenly We Put B and C Team On This poo poo and Everything's Off.

Perfectly describes the Ezio Trilogy, the modern AC trilogy, I'd argue it even applies to Watchdogs.

Watch Dogs is weird. The first one had a great idea with terrible implementation and a protagonist that was worse than Connor in ACIII. The second one was great and Legion is not terrible and at least tries interesting stuff even if it doesn't land completely. Plus the story is pretty cool.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
He did have such a good hat though

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Watch Dogs is weird. The first one had a great idea with terrible implementation and a protagonist that was worse than Connor in ACIII. The second one was great and Legion is not terrible and at least tries interesting stuff even if it doesn't land completely. Plus the story is pretty cool.

W_D: 2 (the Quickening) is a wonderful "starting poo poo" simulator.

Sicced two gangs against each other, which led to two peds running into and fighting each other. Ped 1 had a dog, ped 2 got got via canine. Call some patrol cops over, who clap ped 1 with their final shot. Dog wanders off like nothing happened.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Gotta say, one of my absolute favorite things about Vampire Survivors is that, especially once you have a bunch of stuff unlocked, you can see someone post a crazy build and be like "Hell, I have half an hour to kill, I'll try it out too." Because runs generally max out at 30 minutes (although there are certainly ways to push past that), there's not really any risk to experimentation. Want to see what happens when you exploit a particular character's low-level bonus by locking them at level 1? Sure, give it a shot, it'll probably be fun! And if it isn't, you haven't lost anything.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

madeintaipei posted:

W_D: 2 (the Quickening) is a wonderful "starting poo poo" simulator.

Sicced two gangs against each other, which led to two peds running into and fighting each other. Ped 1 had a dog, ped 2 got got via canine. Call some patrol cops over, who clap ped 1 with their final shot. Dog wanders off like nothing happened.

Getting the starting poo poo upgrades for the Profiler in WD2 leads to some amazing firefights with the Sons of Valhalla taking on the Russians while Auntie Shu Gang is fighting the cops, and then more cops come in to stop the firefight, and by that time you've leeched enough battery off some sucker that you can call in SWAT on everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kicked SO much rear end in SUCH a lovely car that I did a full flatspin right over the finish line. While this was fun as hell in itself, Forza Horizon has this really wild thing called 'Drivatars' that are fake AI versions of real people who played the game, made out of GPS coordinates of their own personal path. If you play in online mode it's not versus real humans unless you decide to, it's versus how the real human generally played when they did that race. Because I won this race and saved my progress, it saved my Drivatar.

Therefore, if you're in a race with my Drivatar and he's in this car and you're getting pasted, he will follow his telemetry and do this or at least attempt to when you reach the finish line! It's such an utterly unique system that makes for such unique AI-integrated gameplay. :allears:

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:40 on Aug 21, 2022