Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She's really wasting seconds watching him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Zelda

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Powered Descent posted:

As his shirt indicates, he's there to give the patrons a feeling of security, so he offers a security blanket, teddy bear, etc.

Not the greatest joke, but it's a serviceable bit of wordplay.
I knew there was something I wasn't getting. Yeah, not great but it makes sense now, thanks.

Doomykins posted:

"What's the strength of a visual medium? Dedicating 50% of the screen space to describing what I'm drawing. Now that'll make a good light action sequence!"

Is there really nobody in Jules' life willing to look at her work and give her a single sentence of critical advice? The funny bit is that the art for this and the last strip suddenly jumped up in quality, but there's the Mark Trail narration box to butcher things anyway. :cheeky:
From what I've seen of Jules, she's pretty insufferable and would probably not take constructive criticism well.
:lol:

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Magnified Man

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Bad Machinery: The Case of the Fire Inside

Wanted to share some of the materials that bookend the strip in its collection form; mostly some additional information about some of the characters and some adorable seal wallpapers if you want something fun on your desktop. Apologies in advance for the large size:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I love the Energy Crow sidebar.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

i do hate canada post

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 11, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth isn't having any of it this morning.

:sickos:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

IT IS TOTALLY OKAY TO NOT WANT TO BE FRIENDS WITH YOUR EX, EVEN IF THE RELATIONSHIP WAS BETTER OFF ENDED.

There. I know Mary Worth is specially crafted to be infuriating, but I still had to say it. Also, Wilbur stays friends with his exes, so if Dawn wants to NOT be like Wilbur, telling Mr. "My Patients Are My Dating Pool" to eat poo poo is the best thing she can do. Okay.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Luann(both the strip and the character) will never have the guts to meaningfully call Bernice on her poo poo and that's one of many ways it sucks.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I don't think "Prostitute 80" met the criteria of the Comics Code circa 1980, starting with the title.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I love the Energy Crow sidebar.

Energy Crow was born into a cruel world, man. (That is why he is always smoking.)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Baby's First...Race...Faking...I Guess Magic Pheromones Isn't A Thing Yet In This Comic

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Is that ... Cat? we'll call him a cat for convenience.
Is that cat part insect?

gently caress you Holbrook.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Hippocrass posted:

Is that ... Cat? we'll call him a cat for convenience.
Is that cat part insect?

gently caress you Holbrook.

he works as a dung beetle and wears those as his digsuise, on top of pheromones

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Transmodiar posted:

Bad Machinery: The Case of the Fire Inside

Wanted to share some of the materials that bookend the strip in its collection form; mostly some additional information about some of the characters and some adorable seal wallpapers if you want something fun on your desktop. Apologies in advance for the large size:
Thanks for this!

And without further ado:
Bad Machinery

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

timg’d just in case for sauciness, although it’s nothing worse than we see on the regular in Jucika.

Cthulhu and Girl

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (July 18-24, 1983)

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Thank you for posting The Case of the Fire Inside. I had never read it before, I loved it and am getting a copy for myself and as a Christmas gift for a friend.

Also Marlys! is super crowded at times but I love its energy. She really captures the mindset you have at Marlys' age, especially in these school reports

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The messiness, chaos, and cramped form of Marlys is, like, entirely the point of it. Marlys completely and accurately sells the way that kids write stories and try to imitate the media they've seen but do a poor job of it. I remember making comics as a like, 10-year-old, that honestly felt a lot like some of these strips in composition. The ones where she's writing essays are pretty funny and goofy, but what really gets me are the comics that capture the hectic emotional state of being adolescent -- they just get into my bones in a way not a lot of other stuff does.

Like this one, I had to just sit there and feel for a moment after reading it:

I will admit that Marlys/Lynda Barry in general definitely reads worse on a computer screen (or, even more terribly, a phone screen), and it's absolutely worth picking up in print if you're enjoying it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

octopus balls

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

^^^this one gets it

E: lmao, both of y’all get it

ˇAragones!

Life in Hell

Sylvia

Marlys!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

Not that we need even more people posting the oeuvre of John Allison, but would people want to see Murder She Writes? Or any of the other Bobbinsverse one-off comics?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Transmodiar posted:

Not that we need even more people posting the oeuvre of John Allison, but would people want to see Murder She Writes? Or any of the other Bobbinsverse one-off comics?

I'd vote no, if only because most of those comics are for sale on his Gumroad site, while the comics we post here are the ones he releases for free.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
https://twitter.com/mmmaruoka/status/1556150242629668865

would kill for this emi shirt

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (August 24-26, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (November 10-12, 1919)

Dok's "Invasive Species" Duck (April 24, 1914)

When other strips go gag-a-day, it's a sign they're settling in. When Little Lefty goes gag-a-day, you're tempted to ask Del to tap the phone twice if he can't speak freely. (March 29-31, 1937)

Blondie From Zero continues "Countdown To Infinite Dagwood". (September 12-14, 1932)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

...then the Tendercrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch commercial quickly became a beloved pop culture touchstone, and Darius Rucker pivoted to a very successful country music career. Martha Stewart wound up doing multiple projects with Snoop Dogg and was apparently quite comfortable making winking acknowledgements to her prison stint, recently releasing a wine under the 19 Crimes label (like Snoop.)

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 20, 2022

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

I kinda want this one for real.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Do they not ship outside Japan? I kind of want one too

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Mister Beeg posted:

Arnold (July 18-24, 1983)

The creator of this strip went on to become a pastor, you said?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Sep 25, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 9-10, 1992)

Big Nate

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Well, thank you everyone for your input re. Blueberry - I'll continue to upload it as before, unless there's a sudden outcry against it for some reason.

On that note, in today's Blueberry: The boys make their way back to sunny Chihuahua! - well, it'll be sunny when it's not night!, or Jim and Red get put on a budget, or La Casa Roja? More like... La Alfombra Roja... that was bad. Get back to me

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

Luke Cage knocks on the door, and it opens.

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 20, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Professor Wayne posted:

Do they not ship outside Japan? I kind of want one too

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Like a boss

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TegneHanne

L-Innsikt

Zelda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Haifisch posted:

2018 Spiderman

Luke Cage knocks on the door, and it opens.

I like how he's apologetic about smashing the door down :3:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 09, 1952)