Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I wish I had known about backlogust. I have... a bunch of models. haha.

boz posted:

Ball Twins are a bust, only paints I have right now are a cheap 20 dollar acrylic set I bought off of Amazon. Learning that I may need to invest in something not those to get decent results. May try again later but for now it's going back on the shelf.

I ~think~ one of the differences between model grade paints and cheap paints, is how finely the pigments are ground, and the percentage of pigment suspended in the carrier. The stuff I've used that's not artist/hobby grade always ends up.. grainy.

Barbatos rex seems to get over that by airbrushing it really thin.. but even then you can see.. the pigment.. sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Nerobro posted:

I wish I had known about backlogust. I have... a bunch of models. haha.

I ~think~ one of the differences between model grade paints and cheap paints, is how finely the pigments are ground, and the percentage of pigment suspended in the carrier. The stuff I've used that's not artist/hobby grade always ends up.. grainy.

Barbatos rex seems to get over that by airbrushing it really thin.. but even then you can see.. the pigment.. sometimes.

Only handbrushing at the moment, hope to have an airbrush setup before the year is out

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

boz posted:

Only handbrushing at the moment, hope to have an airbrush setup before the year is out

I do all my paint at my comptuer desk. So it's all handbrushing for me too.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Nerobro posted:

Stuff like this gives me hope. Just had some Vallejo paints / matte / gloss come in today, gonna pull the ball twins back out and try some more.

Edit:

Finished the Origin Guntank

Definitely going to go back and give it some camo paint some day, this model is begging for it.

Next up is MG Char's Gelgoog

boz fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 16, 2022

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

boz posted:

Stuff like this gives me hope. Just had some Vallejo paints / matte / gloss come in today, gonna pull the ball twins back out and try some more.

Handbrushing is totally viable. Airbrushing gets a lot of hype but if you take your time and build up thin coats nobody will be able to tell the difference once its finished.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Hell, the main reason I use an airbrush is I'm too lazy and untalented to paint by hand. I used to use rattle cans but they go through paint a lot faster and take too long to dry.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

RillAkBea posted:

Handbrushing is totally viable. Airbrushing gets a lot of hype but if you take your time and build up thin coats nobody will be able to tell the difference once its finished.

My hurdle right now is trying to get the right ratio for a thin coat, been watching a couple of youtubes about it but I feel like that sweet spot may take some practice.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

boz posted:

My hurdle right now is trying to get the right ratio for a thin coat, been watching a couple of youtubes about it but I feel like that sweet spot may take some practice.

AAah, a place I can give advice.

The actual "ratio" is much less important than you might think. it's important that it's thin enough to "flow". That's the important bit. If it's to thin, it'll take more coats. If it's to thick, it's obvious it's brushed paint. So... thinner.

It takes coats. Lots. Of. Coats. When I've not been good with my thinning, as many as six coats. When I AM good with my thinning.. more like four, three if I am lucky.

Your first coat will be streaky, runny, and likely have gathered pigment at the edges. Your second coat will do better. The third.. even better.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
If want cheap practice on getting a proper thin coat or on the future layer/highlighting, just get some plastic spoons to paint on. I can't remember if that advice was here when I saw it or the modeling thread, but it is still solid advice for painting. Especially when nervous about ruining a model.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

boz posted:

Take advice from the Warhams people: When thinning your paint, aim for the consistency of milk. It should flow into and out of your brush easily. as you lay down your first coat, it will look quite transparent, especially if you're laying a light color over a dark color primer/undercoat, but because it's so thin, you can lay down many layers of pigment without building up bulk, creating a beautiful, even coating. Very thin, translucent coats of paint also facilitate blending of colors for lovely shading. For added invisibility of your brush-strokes, vary your stroke angle for each layer, especially when laying solid colors across larger surfaces.

St0rmD fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 17, 2022

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I despise hand brushing, especially hand brushing white, which is a huge problem with gundams, obviously.

Airbrush all day every day I say! Plus I like to do pre shading and post shading which is pretty hard without an airbrush.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Thanks for all the advice everyone, will definitely try and implement for the rest of this kit and the future.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
Tristar down!

And next:

Hopefully this'll inspire me to finally get the other RG Evas out of storage following my move earlier in the year...

Bonus build! I got too excited and threw this guy together in a couple hours (then some extra time for stickers), completely forgetting to take a picture first. One of the scenes from the Origin manga that's stuck with me is seeing four Zaku I's and a prototype almost-Gouf take out 12 of these guys, so of course I had to have one for my very own.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Never have enough grunts.

Also if you like the not-quite Gouf you should get the Bugu High Grade. It's one of the very few HG model kits that has a self rotating mono-eye rather than a lever or toothpick rotation.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Arc Hammer posted:

Never have enough grunts.

Also if you like the not-quite Gouf you should get the Bugu High Grade. It's one of the very few HG model kits that has a self rotating mono-eye rather than a lever or toothpick rotation.

They're best friends!

That's a good call on the mono-eye- I noticed that as I was putting it together, but hadn't really connected that the other zaku-types I'd assembled just had a tab for turning the eye.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
this challenge makes me realize I've had my Mk-IV gundam sitting on my shelf half constructed for like... 2 years

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Went back and finished the Blue Ball Twins

Left was done earlier this week with the cheaper paint, right was with the Vallejo.

Painted before I had a good knack on the thinning, so it went on a bit thick and covered a detail here and there.

I did notice with this kit that a lot of the panel line recesses on the arms are barely even there, even without paint.

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

"If you give a mouse a cookie" but gunpla

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

not backlogust but just some for funsies stuff

bought my first 30MMs a while back. this is a kitbash of a Cielnova and a Rabiot, with some option parts added in. especially fond of the backpack, i slammed two option backpacks together to make a sort of super high mobility looking flight pack. i have a few weapon sets to add in but this was a fun experience! 30MM, it turns out, is freedom

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JoeGlassJAw posted:

bought my first 30MMs a while back. this is a kitbash of a Cielnova and a Rabiot, with some option parts added in. especially fond of the backpack, i slammed two option backpacks together to make a sort of super high mobility looking flight pack. i have a few weapon sets to add in but this was a fun experience! 30MM, it turns out, is freedom

Hang on, you've only done half the job!

Where's the kitbash of the other halves of the Rabiot and Cielnova kits and your random leftover accessories? :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

JoeGlassJAw posted:

That flight pack backpack looks really good! I've been messing around with 30mm kits (and bought a real camera) recently and it's a lot of fun messing around with different configurations and so on.

Still need a lot of practice though. Not quite ready for prime time.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hang on, you've only done half the job!

Where's the kitbash of the other halves of the Rabiot and Cielnova kits and your random leftover accessories? :colbert:

lol, the leftovers aren't very interesting...yet. it mostly just looks like a rabiot with cielnova shins but i do also have one of these:

that I may try and find a way to frankenstein in to make like a four legged heavy gunner type with the leftovers. i will post here if and when i do!

Potsticker posted:

That flight pack backpack looks really good! I've been messing around with 30mm kits (and bought a real camera) recently and it's a lot of fun messing around with different configurations and so on.

thanks! the cielnova is so cool. i like that olive drab color. i bought colors that i felt like would go together without painting but now i'm kind of wishing i had gone a little more eccentric. there was an orange rabiot and i think that might've looked really cool with this.

i think my favorite part of this is that i can go to a brick and mortar store and buy these. it's really nostalgic. i could pick up gunpla in stores when i was a kid but there was a good decade or two where i could only go online. now i can go into hobbytown and browse and i liked getting inspiration for the 30MM stuff in that way

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Got me some robots: https://imgur.com/a/1MXShvl

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Picked up some black primer from Games Workshop for the ersatz Space Leo, all the stores were out of fine detail primer. No pics, and I start a new job soon so this will probably be the last one for the month, although I'm curious if aluminum on black primer looks good for the HG Cybaster I've sat on for nine months. That leaves a Revernova, Messer, MG Sandrock (GoL), MG Double X, MG F91, and an RG Tallgeese III and RG Hi- Nu.

I'm so impressed they reproduced it to that level! How do you feel about it? Is the transformation stable?

Lawrence Gilchrist fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 19, 2022

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

Picked up some black primer from Games Workshop for the ersatz Space Leo, all the stores were out of fine detail primer. No pics, and I start a new job soon so this will probably be the last one for the month, although I'm curious if aluminum on black primer looks good for the HG Cybaster I've sat on for nine months. That leaves a Revernova, Messer, MG Sandrock (GoL), MG Double X, MG F91, and an RG Tallgeese III and RG Hi- Nu.

I'm so impressed they reproduced it to that level! How do you feel about it? Is the transformation stable?

I really like it, though I was predisposed to I suppose lol. The transformation is fairly stable, the torso holds together very well but the arms and legs can fall off. There are instructions in the manual on how to properly turn them and as long as you follow those they stay together pretty well though. Also re: reproducing it to that level the transformations and combinations cheat pretty hard, which I'm fine with since the end result ends up looking better.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
As far as I know I've created the first ever Char Custom Rick Dom 1.5

Don't ruin this for me

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Backlogust roundup week 3!

Boz starts off with an SD Unicorn, .5 points. Alley-oop with the HG Guntank for an additional point. Something something blue balls, three points for a painted Ball set.

Argas: Efreet custom HG, 1 point.

Spectral Elvis is still in progress, but I wanted to go ahead and clarify something. These are the big kits and not the little 1/2000 or whatever sets, right?

Just Dan Again knocks out that chunni HG with the scythe I can never remember the name of (1 pt), the MG GN-X for 2 points, another HG for the Tri-Stars Zaku, and we’ll call it half a point for the Guncannon on account of not taking a time stamp.

Star Man still on a spree with the HG Guncannon (1 pt)

Lawrence Gilchrist puts together a mutant HG; clarification needed, is that painted or just topcoated?

Boz continues to hold on to number one with 12.5 points, riding high on paint bonuses. Star Man in second with 8 points, and Just Dan again in third with 5.5. I would encourage anybody thinking about participating to do so; there’s just ten contestants right now, and I think you’d be surprised how easy it is to end up in the prize pool with a very minimal outlay of effort.

As always, shout at me if I missed anything you did this week. We’re coming into the home stretch, so if you haven’t started yet, get those timestamp pictures in!

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Spectral Elvis is still in progress, but I wanted to go ahead and clarify something. These are the big kits and not the little 1/2000 or whatever sets, right?

Yeah, these are the big kits - about 45cm long completed. Just for removal of any doubt, specifically these:

https://www.hlj.com/1-1000-scale-u-n-c-f-aaa-class-dx-bans55588
https://www.hlj.com/1-1000-scale-earth-federation-andromeda-class-2-ship-aldebaran-movie-effect-ver-bann17848

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Finished with Zeorymer. Decent kit for a robot that probably wouldn't have gotten one otherwise, which is generally the baseline for Moderoid kits. Has very good color separation (the only stickers for that are some black ones for the 'wings'), and a lot of nice-looking translucent parts, with foil stickers for putting behind some of them. Only thing I wish was better is it has a lot of seam lines, even if they're not -that- noticeable from the front.

...and I wish I had a third interesting kit to show off, but all I have left is this Guncannon, which shouldn't take too long.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You can probably guess at what's coming up

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

This is what I did last night. A wide range of techniques here... Some paint, some stickers, some panel liner.

This is my favorite IBO kit.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Nerobro posted:

This is what I did last night. A wide range of techniques here... Some paint, some stickers, some panel liner.

This is my favorite IBO kit.

That's the 1/100 right? Well done on getting it to stand

E; I thought I posted my backlog but it didn't go through;

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 21, 2022

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Naaa, it's the 1/144 scale one. My old one lives on my mousepad. I am now 2-3 years down the road in my skills, so I thought it was time to do one "well". This one is definitely better.

I do have the 1/100 FM model in my backlog... but... I'm kinda not doing 1/100 models till I get the house clean enough to display them. Or until Exia 2.0 is released.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Just finished Char's MG Gelgoog 2.0

I love Zeon suits, always giant feet.

Was debating on finally starting my PG Unicorn, but don't know if I'd finish before the month is up, so I'll play it safe:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

This rules

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Slanderer posted:

This rules

u rule bae

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Nerobro posted:

Naaa, it's the 1/144 scale one. My old one lives on my mousepad. I am now 2-3 years down the road in my skills, so I thought it was time to do one "well". This one is definitely better.

I do have the 1/100 FM model in my backlog... but... I'm kinda not doing 1/100 models till I get the house clean enough to display them. Or until Exia 2.0 is released.

Ah, I didn't think the HG had the pistols, been a whilst since I built either.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Nerobro posted:

Here's a great video showing the process and results of handpainting using lacquer paints. The specific paints he uses can be hard to get in the US (along with most japanese lacquer paints, it seems), but the results are really nice. He doesn't use a bunch of layers either, just liberal use of self leveling thinner (also, some lacquers won't dissolve as readily when layered after curing, like acrylics can)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXuoktEB4Ds

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 21, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Ah, I didn't think the HG had the pistols, been a whilst since I built either.

The HG has the pistols, but it can't stash them. Instead it has pistol detailing on the skirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Back in 2014, a guy in California who is on the internet under the handle Funaka created and distributed a PDF that's pretty much every technique you can do on a Gundam in one place, with pretty detailed directions and photos. His website disappeared a while back but I rehosted the doc here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YaNA1VXIhT1VQ3GtlPwOafdw9gIkMbrk/view?usp=sharing

I posted it when he first made it available so if you saw it then, this is the same file.