Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sindai posted:

It's neat that tubes unlock just as flasks turns into an almost entirely automated matter of idling for freezing flasks for hours.

Also that tubes are nothing like flasks whatsoever. It's very neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Is it me or is the Energy Production Accelerator on some kind of weird curve? Usually if you spend all your Energy you can watch the multipliers on the accelerators tick up, and accelerators you've spent more on will tick up slower (because, of course, you've already spent more on them and therefore it costs more than the others to increase your multiplier). That makes sense. But I notice that the Energy Production Accelerator will start out ticking slower (since you just spent on it) but then start ticking faster and overtake the multipliers on the other Accelerators. Is that one uniquely based on how much you're spending at a time or something?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Also that tubes are nothing like flasks whatsoever.

i've always been saying this

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Pope Guilty posted:

Is it me or is the Energy Production Accelerator on some kind of weird curve? Usually if you spend all your Energy you can watch the multipliers on the accelerators tick up, and accelerators you've spent more on will tick up slower (because, of course, you've already spent more on them and therefore it costs more than the others to increase your multiplier). That makes sense. But I notice that the Energy Production Accelerator will start out ticking slower (since you just spent on it) but then start ticking faster and overtake the multipliers on the other Accelerators. Is that one uniquely based on how much you're spending at a time or something?
I think it just has a higher curve than the others because it's the least powerful multiplier, since it's applying to the final output of everything else.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pretty sure the bonus is based on that total spent you see on the right (PC 16:9 I noticed you can change the res and it dynamically rearranges a bit)

The percent gain shown is just the gains from current bonus and new bonus.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Laughed out loud when I got to Tubes, game seems pretty fun so far.

Is 11 diamonds the most you can get from daily solitaire? I cleared the board on the first try both days but was curious how the score factors into it.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I just realized it's been a little over 5 years since you first posted NGU. Congrats!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775797&userid=178176#post475280188

I've been wondering, do you have any good recommendations on where to start with Unity for this style of game? There's a ton of stuff out there for 3D games and stuff, but it's a little harder to find stuff for a game that's basically a menu.
Even a few keywords that make it easier to google might help.

Hate to say, what i reallly do is just google the name of my problem +unity. I also struggle seperating issues on 3d vs 2d, i just.. muddle through it, really.

How i specifically do menus is i have a global canvas, then a subcanvas as the parent of each menu. Then it has a child which is the overall menu and i go from there. Then, I have a menu swapper controller that puts the right menu at 0,0 (front and center in screen) and shoves all the rest to (5000,5000) or some arbitrarily far distance.

The subcanvas thing in theory saves on rendering costs, or something like that. I read somewhere that when any object in the scene changes visually, it marks the whole canvas its on as "dirty", so splitting each menu into its own subcanvas saves all other menus from unnecessarily being marked.

You can also give each canvas an int id and run update code only if its the visible menu to save further processing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

something posted:

Hate to say, what i reallly do is just google the name of my problem +unity. I also struggle seperating issues on 3d vs 2d, i just.. muddle through it, really.

How i specifically do menus is i have a global canvas, then a subcanvas as the parent of each menu. Then it has a child which is the overall menu and i go from there. Then, I have a menu swapper controller that puts the right menu at 0,0 (front and center in screen) and shoves all the rest to (5000,5000) or some arbitrarily far distance.

The subcanvas thing in theory saves on rendering costs, or something like that. I read somewhere that when any object in the scene changes visually, it marks the whole canvas its on as "dirty", so splitting each menu into its own subcanvas saves all other menus from unnecessarily being marked.

You can also give each canvas an int id and run update code only if its the visible menu to save further processing.

Believe it or not, that's a good start and helps! I'll take a crack at things and maybe if I make any progress I'll post some updates!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Help I have been watching number go up in Idle Research for 12 hours. I have just unlocked Ice. I have things to do today!

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

something posted:

Do you have a rough ETA on NGU 2? Very excited for it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

inspire posted:

Do you have a rough ETA on NGU 2? Very excited for it.

You didn't know? It'll be here in 5 hours.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
No estimate yet, it's still just gradually forming right now.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Idle Research:

If I have the Fire upgrade that earns 10% of Prestige flasks every second, is there any reason to manually prestige? Feels like i would lose a ton of progress.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Spokes posted:

Idle Research:

If I have the Fire upgrade that earns 10% of Prestige flasks every second, is there any reason to manually prestige? Feels like i would lose a ton of progress.

Prestiging is the only way to get more Fuel to help you get more Fire

But I stopped prestiging for a while when I got that yeah

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Devor posted:

Prestiging is the only way to get more Fuel to help you get more Fire

But I stopped prestiging for a while when I got that yeah

oh right, because you re-research. what a fun little game this is!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Spokes posted:

oh right, because you re-research. what a fun little game this is!

I got to ice with 7 hours played yesterday. After unlocking auto prestige I barely turned it off. Just keep getting further and further with only 60 seconds. Then when it feels like you aren't getting more of the green things a run to be worthwhile I did a 30 minute run to pick up some new unlocks then started that grind.

No idea if my timing is good or bad.

Auto prestige is your AFK idle mode I don't think there's much point doing a deep run that's several hours long.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I unlocked dark flasks and was close to dark tubes which are deliberately super slow and grindy since they're the end of the current content so I guess I'll mostly put the game down until cylinders are implemented. With how different flasks and tubes are I'm looking forward to them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I was worrying the content was running thin. It has a solid base. excited to see where it goes Research Idle looks to have log multi-year long legs at this point if the dev doesn't burn out first.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
wait is Research Idle literally just making flasks and more flasks and nothing else?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Cobalt60 posted:

wait is Research Idle literally just making flasks and more flasks and nothing else?

There are also Tubes.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Which are not at all like flasks.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Cinara posted:

Which are not at all like flasks.

this part is key

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Venuz Patrol posted:

this part is key

Flasks are just lab equipment. Tubes are militaristic. They're not at all alike. Don't be ridiculous, of course they're not both made out of glass.

I am enjoying Idle Research plenty.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

the internet is a series of tubes

The way these interact I have a good feeling about future content.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Ironically, unlike apparently everyone else, I was enjoying Idle Research until I got to Tubes. It being different to Flasks is good, the way it's different is good in theory but in practice makes it so much slower that it just isn't as fun or engaging. :shrug:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

yeah i'm not the biggest Tubes fan, the whole adventure structure just feels like NGU but without what made NGU fun

it's interesting enough that i'm willing to stick with it for a while longer tho

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
NGU complete! And it only took me... uh.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

NGU complete! And it only took me... uh.

Now vote do not recommend for a hell of a review. "ran out of content after 18,000 hours game is too short"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

pixaal posted:

Now vote do not recommend for a hell of a review. "ran out of content after 18,000 hours game is too short"

"It says Idle right in the name but required so much from me!"

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

pixaal posted:

:lol: that’s great!

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
issue i have with tubes is it feels like a bunch of fluff stats that don't actually improve anything, only attack and kill rate matter. i completely out scale everything by an insane factor since i didn't leave the game open and running for a day and i'm just gated by kill progress.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

My excitement with tubes isn't what they do, it's how they function in relation to flasks and freeze. It makes me excited for additional layers. It's something that feels new and interesting. It's got a bit of Lazy Kings in the DNA.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Early progression on Research Idle is a little weird because the offline progress assumes you're micromanaging your flask crafting slots so it's actually more efficient early to just use the offline progress than to futz with it. Interesting.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I wish I'd known that when I was wrestling with the crafting build saving system and how frustratingly dumb it was in a few ways. The saving grace is that the phase of the game where that really matters is fairly short.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

something posted:

No estimate yet, it's still just gradually forming right now.

"number of days until NGU 2 comes out" is the only number I ever want to go down

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I wonder if I am missing some way to progress in Research Idle.

I am at E850 Energy and for last twelve hours or so I have slowly been auto-prestiging (and sometimes not to see how it effects) upwards in Energy charts. I have been buying Fire upgrades and Juices as I can afford them but other than that I don't really see any progress happening easily. I am lacking White, Black and Golden Flash Effect boosters, but those three are entirely unpractical go towards.

Am I just supposed to sit there from E600 to E900+ Energy?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Evolve chat:

I've been grinding through 0* pillars for a few weeks now. I'm up to 21/49 species done, and I'm running out of species I can do without bioseeding or blackholing.

For the resonance achievement, I'm thinking the best strategy is going to be to 0* pillar, then 4* my remaining unpillared species from each genus. The cost of pillaring just keeps going up and I figure the ~1 day time to pillar at 0* will be faster than the time to build up enough infernal forges to pillar at 4*.

I guess I should start to see if a demonic infusion is feasible soon, too. I don't mind the 0* pillaring because it's mostly hands-off.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Banemaster posted:

I wonder if I am missing some way to progress in Research Idle.

I am at E850 Energy and for last twelve hours or so I have slowly been auto-prestiging (and sometimes not to see how it effects) upwards in Energy charts. I have been buying Fire upgrades and Juices as I can afford them but other than that I don't really see any progress happening easily. I am lacking White, Black and Golden Flash Effect boosters, but those three are entirely unpractical go towards.

Am I just supposed to sit there from E600 to E900+ Energy?
That is a fairly slow section since you're working towards Ice...are you auto prestiging to gain fuel? If you aren't then your fire upgrades are probably much lower than they could be.

Be sure to charge up the temporary juice boost thing you get by manually juicing and use it when you have 2 or more juice colors that aren't yet automated. I think fire upgrades and juice are the main progress drivers at that point in the game.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 20, 2022

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Evolve chat:

I've been grinding through 0* pillars for a few weeks now. I'm up to 21/49 species done, and I'm running out of species I can do without bioseeding or blackholing.

For the resonance achievement, I'm thinking the best strategy is going to be to 0* pillar, then 4* my remaining unpillared species from each genus. The cost of pillaring just keeps going up and I figure the ~1 day time to pillar at 0* will be faster than the time to build up enough infernal forges to pillar at 4*.

I guess I should start to see if a demonic infusion is feasible soon, too. I don't mind the 0* pillaring because it's mostly hands-off.

Pillars are good but not essential for hell resets and if you're at pillaring already then a demonic infusion is just extra time. You should definitely do a few though as a few of the upgrades are very worth like the four unbounds which lets you play any species on any planet with a small (5% at tier4) malus.

You always want to do the spire and hell resets at 4* because of how blood stones work.

If you really want to power through pillars then 0* on micro are even faster and still count for the production bonus and -%cost for the spire gates.

Really though you're at the point where Truepath and the harder challenges are all possible.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Picking up NGU again and I really wish there was something I could spend magic on that didn't also cost gold, or that boosting gold income with energy/magic had a lower barrier to entry. I have to let most of my magic sit idle because I'm so limited by gold income.