Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

precision posted:

watched Inside Llewyn Davis for the 5th or 6th time and yeah, i'm just gonna officially declare it my favorite Coen Bros movie. man. it is just so drat great

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I have the distinct feeling it'll be the last/latest Coen Brothers movie I truly love for a long while, if not forever. It's fantastic, and their stuff ever since has kinda been either decent (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs) or kinda mediocre (Hail, Caesar!, honestly I'm being kind, I thought it was mostly forgettable and stupid)...and Joel Coen's solo Macbeth was pretty fuckin mid imo. Llewyn's definitely up there with my favorite Coen Bros films, hard to say what my absolute favorite is, probably The Hudsucker Proxy.

Gotta recommend a real Netflix hidden gem (the term is often pretty loving loose on there lol). Coven of Sisters (2020) also known as "Coven"/"Akelarre".
Some may be lower than me on it, but honestly, "film set in 17th century Basque country under the Spanish Inquisition" was enough to sell me and I thought it was executed pretty well. Touches of The Witch, The Crucible, etc.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Srice posted:

HBO Max is culling its animation lineup https://twitter.com/CNschedules/status/1560051134185684992

There's a bunch of stuff on this list that was only available on HBO Max so for the time being there's no longer any legal way to watch, say, Infinity Train. poo poo sucks!
Looks like they're all gone now except for Close Enough

Welcome to the Streampocalypse where shows just disappear with no warning, they don't even show up on the leaving soon/last chance page!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

precision posted:

watched Inside Llewyn Davis for the 5th or 6th time and yeah, i'm just gonna officially declare it my favorite Coen Bros movie. man. it is just so drat great
I don't see a lot of money here.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wolfsheim posted:

Puh-puh-please Mr Kennedy, I dont wanna go (please dont shoot me into outer space)

UH OH

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
She Hulk’s writing was a little rough around the edges but it’s easy to overlook because it’s so fun

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sheesh, HBO Max subscriber was in the middle of watching Infinity Train when WBD decided to remove it to avoid paying residuals

https://twitter.com/eddicherrycola/status/1560524255409741827?s=21&t=xwqencsUbMOGB4YlrMffaQ

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo Netflix just dropped an 11th episode of Sandman

It’s the cat story

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 19, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Steve Yun posted:

It’s the cat story

Oh poo poo that's a great fuckin story

Edit - Title says Calliope too, I wonder if it will include the rape rape rape

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Day Shift was alright, a perfectly fine 6/10 movie. But it oddly felt like a bunch of scenes were missing even in a 2 hour long movie. There's mention of various things that don't seem to have any payoff, like a 700 year old vampire that you would think is going to be the secret mastermind behind whatever this oncoming vampire war is but no. And there's an Aztec style temple under a mall in LA? uh why? how is it related to the vampires and the plot other than just being a location for the ending action sequence to take place in? And what exactly is the main antagonist's plan because why do vampires need to buy houses to infiltrate the Valley? can't they just kill the residents and take over, or make them vampires and take over, or find familiars to buy the houses and then move in that way to take over? Oh also there are friendly vampires that don't kill people to survive but for some reason they are still working for the bad guy until they're not?

Overall not a bad way to burn an couple of hours, the action parts are pretty good and frantic and there's some jokes that got a laugh out of me, but the script clearly left me with a lot of questions.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah, I have the distinct feeling it'll be the last/latest Coen Brothers movie I truly love for a long while, if not forever. It's fantastic, and their stuff ever since has kinda been either decent (The Ballad of Buster Scruggs) or kinda mediocre (Hail, Caesar!, honestly I'm being kind, I thought it was mostly forgettable and stupid)...and Joel Coen's solo Macbeth was pretty fuckin mid imo. Llewyn's definitely up there with my favorite Coen Bros films, hard to say what my absolute favorite is, probably The Hudsucker Proxy.

Gotta recommend a real Netflix hidden gem (the term is often pretty loving loose on there lol). Coven of Sisters (2020) also known as "Coven"/"Akelarre".
Some may be lower than me on it, but honestly, "film set in 17th century Basque country under the Spanish Inquisition" was enough to sell me and I thought it was executed pretty well. Touches of The Witch, The Crucible, etc.

Going to watch both of these. Somehow there’s a coen movie I haven’t seen

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
lol

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Day Shift was alright, a perfectly fine 6/10 movie. But it oddly felt like a bunch of scenes were missing even in a 2 hour long movie. There's mention of various things that don't seem to have any payoff, like a 700 year old vampire that you would think is going to be the secret mastermind behind whatever this oncoming vampire war is but no. And there's an Aztec style temple under a mall in LA? uh why? how is it related to the vampires and the plot other than just being a location for the ending action sequence to take place in? And what exactly is the main antagonist's plan because why do vampires need to buy houses to infiltrate the Valley? can't they just kill the residents and take over, or make them vampires and take over, or find familiars to buy the houses and then move in that way to take over? Oh also there are friendly vampires that don't kill people to survive but for some reason they are still working for the bad guy until they're not?

Overall not a bad way to burn an couple of hours, the action parts are pretty good and frantic and there's some jokes that got a laugh out of me, but the script clearly left me with a lot of questions.

Day Shift had its moments that did really entertain me. However, a lot of it felt like a goofy stuntperson's reel intermixed with someone's contortionism fetish. I know it's a movie about vampires but if Jaime Foxx fires a shotgun from the hip that kicks back a little it shouldn't send someone backflipping away through a wall, and your last spoiler was the one that I felt really needed more explanation. If you're ok with your supernatural action comedy being whatever the opposite of gritty and grounded is, it's fun enough, and relatively quick.

edit: hah I thought that was a joke about a new The Sandman episode. It's basically 2 little 15 minute shorts in one episode, and both were great. (assuming you enjoyed the rest overall)

Glottis fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 20, 2022

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

In Day Shift, the entire thing with the vampire girl doesn't make sense. She is barely a character for most of the movie and then Bud starts talking about how she betrayed him. I think the only reason she wasn't cut completely was because she was critical for the finale.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Also, She-Hulk is fun. Tatiana Maslany is, as her fans might expect, charismatic and enjoyable. If you like Marvel stuff and also aren't worried about Hulk power levels, even though they are perfectly addressed, you'll enjoy it.

If you don't like Marvel stuff or Tatiana, it's not an immediate sell, but might get there.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Season finale of The Rehearsal was amazing, and they just announced it's been renewed for a season two.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Season two should be Nathan trying to get renewed, rehearsing the pitch with someone playing the president of HBO Discovery, and end it with the actual meeting and noting "well, I've actually already shot most of it, in fact we wrap today."

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently Amazon Prime has the rom-coms Marry Me and The Lost City now, which were Peacock / Paramount+ exclusives when they first came out.

This new world is weird.

Also, was pretty surprised that Marry Me is based on a graphic novel since I would have thought someone just wrote the script for J Lo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Enos Cabell posted:

Season finale of The Rehearsal was amazing, and they just announced it's been renewed for a season two.

The finale already???? Nooooooo

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I declare Sandman to be “fine”, which is exactly my feeling about the comic. The height of the season is definitely Hob’s story in the second half of episode 6, which makes sense since that’s one of the best issues of the comic.

If anything, it suffers for staying TOO close to the source material, because all my issues with the show regarding unevenness and characterization are issues I already had with the comic.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

smackfu posted:

Apparently Amazon Prime has the rom-coms Marry Me and The Lost City now, which were Peacock / Paramount+ exclusives when they first came out.

This new world is weird.

Also, was pretty surprised that Marry Me is based on a graphic novel since I would have thought someone just wrote the script for J Lo.

"Graphic novel" is probably being extremely generous. It's by the same author as this:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I liked the part in she-hulk where they’re just smashing poo poo in a pissing contest while overall trying to relegate the destruction their rage-fueled power causes. Hulk just casually causing earthquakes that’ll gently caress up any sound based animals in the area. She-Hulk going clap crazy and just shredding any birds or small game animals caught in the wake, Hulk launching a meteor sized boulder and just not giving a poo poo when and where it comes down.

Awesome, insightful stuff.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Glottis posted:

Also, She-Hulk is fun. Tatiana Maslany is, as her fans might expect, charismatic and enjoyable. If you like Marvel stuff and also aren't worried about Hulk power levels, even though they are perfectly addressed, you'll enjoy it.

If you don't like Marvel stuff or Tatiana, it's not an immediate sell, but might get there.

She-Hulk has fun moments but it does take the whole Whedon-esque soy banter to another level of cringe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Stop.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

ruddiger posted:

I liked the part in she-hulk where they’re just smashing poo poo in a pissing contest while overall trying to relegate the destruction their rage-fueled power causes. Hulk just casually causing earthquakes that’ll gently caress up any sound based animals in the area. She-Hulk going clap crazy and just shredding any birds or small game animals caught in the wake, Hulk launching a meteor sized boulder and just not giving a poo poo when and where it comes down.

Have you read a comic book? Collateral damage is pretty much non existent, calm down.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Baron von Eevl posted:

"Graphic novel" is probably being extremely generous. It's by the same author as this:

Thanks for remembering Pupkin

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

A lot of good points, but about the (ending location spoiler) Aztec Temple, the villain does tell Peter Stormare that humans used to worship vampires and build them temples of "blood and bone" .

I assume it's one of those. As for why they are there?

*scene missing* I guess

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

mcmagic posted:

She-Hulk has fun moments but it does take the whole Whedon-esque soy banter to another level of cringe.

Lmao of course you’re the kind of poster to use the word soy unironically

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Guys, don't even attempt to watch She-Hulk if you don't like comic book poo poo. The character is the original 4th wall-breaking wisecracking goof, on top of normal comic book stuff. It's not high art, and it does not hold up to deep analysis of the lore so you're really just setting yourself up for disappointment or posting goofy poo poo like

ruddiger posted:

yeah it's totally unrealistic, what an insight. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure that gamma radiation can turn someone into a gigantic green muscle monster, which really ruins the whole thing.

mcmagic posted:

do you say "soy" or "cringe" out loud, as someone who I assume is in their mid to late 30s?

Glottis fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 20, 2022

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I think the only people that use "soy" and "cringe" as part of their regular speaking vocabularies are comfortably in their late 30s.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s not that it’s unrealistic violence, it’s the fact that it’s trying to comment on realistic violence through Bruce’s trauma, then saying no, this is actually good and funny because tv violence has no consequence, so go hog wild and throw desks around crowded courtrooms with people, because it is tv, and so we get to enjoy this spectacle with no little or manufactured fallout. Like I said, insightful stuff into the mentality of the MCU.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
If you're gonna go that route you need to address the other hundred or so shows that show gun violence and murders and poo poo. Where's the fallout there?

A couple of comic book people fuckin around seems like small potatoes honestly, not sure what you're going for.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Season two should be Nathan trying to get renewed, rehearsing the pitch with someone playing the president of HBO Discovery, and end it with the actual meeting and noting "well, I've actually already shot most of it, in fact we wrap today."

I saw it on Twitter, but my vote is for remake of the first season with different people. All of S1 was a rehearsal.

Incidentally, the S1 finale is the first thing that really made me hope to god some of this is scripted.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Field Mousepad posted:

If you're gonna go that route you need to address the other hundred or so shows that show gun violence and murders and poo poo. Where's the fallout there?

A couple of comic book people fuckin around seems like small potatoes honestly, not sure what you're going for.

Don't you get it though? The show tells us that rage filled violence causes widespread harm, but then shows other actions that are not rage filled violence, but that could possibly result in violence off camera.

I mean, obviously the whole show is hypocritical if it doesn't show the heads of jaguars exploding from the concussive force of Hulk claps. Mourn the butterflies whose wings are blown off by sonic waves, or you're a bad person.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This is an anti-recommendation, I got tricked into seeing Trees of Peace on Netflix cuz it's got like, nearly a 4 star average on letterboxd.
it's your typical mediocre "Hollywood makes inspiring film about some overseas atrocity/genocide" type thing, in this case about the Rwandan genocide. Hacky tourist poo poo, that's even insecure enough to insert a white American character among the four main leads (what this movie about the Tutsi genocide really needs is a white girl named Peyton and her problems with her parents!!).
It's hard because obviously the subject matter is inherently emotionally potent, but the execution and quality is mediocre to hack level poo poo. Oprah Book Club tier poo poo. The whole thing just SCREAMS written and directed by an American (who read a wikipedia article one day). It genuinely includes the line, word for word "They say I saved them, but really...they saved me."

quote:

While working on a story centered around a trade initiative in Rwanda for an online magazine, Brown stumbled upon various tales of survivors during the genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda. During her preparation for an interview, she began to uncover more details about the women who encountered the horrifying experiences.
"I was just so compelled by the stories of survivors, people hiding in contained spaces, and just the will to survive really floored me, I just found it so striking," Brown.
“And then, in that bout of research, finding that Rwanda to this day has the highest percentage of women appointed to the government, to any country in the world… that absolutely blew my mind,” she continued. “It was something that, along the journey, as I would tell people, nobody had ever heard this before. I had never heard of it.”
lol

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 21, 2022

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

How to Build a Sex Room on Netflix is fun enough to watch on date night. It's sort of like Trading Spaces, except you trade with an eccentric interior designer that gives you a sex dungeon at the end. Even if you don't like it, you get a look at the good and bad million dollar houses in Denver and the vile things rich yuppies do to them.

e so many potential grow rooms wasted.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 21, 2022

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Just watched Day Shift and thought it was pretty bad. It's trying to be John Wick But With Vampires but has the laziest world building. My favorite dumb things are Jamie Foxx being paranoid about door locks and repeatedly being shown locking the 5 deadbolts on his front door, which is a foot away from a gigantic plate glass window. Or his ex-wife inexplicably replacing floor tiles in one tiny section of the foyer across 2 different scenes 20min apart. I kept waiting for a payoff or joke relating to this that never came. Also the first 60 seconds of the film shows a vampire house having multiple air conditioning compressors to keep the place ice cold, and later you see an aerial shot of a building with dozens of them covering the roof(?) but this is never explained or mentioned again. Why???

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Steve Yun posted:

It’s the cat story

They should have put a warning that such secrets would be shared out loud!

(technically this is spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7uHUO8k4Dk

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I watched the Pitch Meeting video for Day Shift, as I do with lots of movies I don't ever intend to watch, and it's hilarious seeing those same things shared in the thread. Sometimes Pitch Meeting is nit-picky (though much funnier than Cinema Sins or Honest Movie Trailers, can't stomach those) but in this case it looks like he was dead on about glaring plot holes or inexplicably dropped things in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Glottis posted:

Guys, don't even attempt to watch She-Hulk if you don't like comic book poo poo. The character is the original 4th wall-breaking wisecracking goof, on top of normal comic book stuff. It's not high art, and it does not hold up to deep analysis of the lore so you're really just setting yourself up for disappointment or posting goofy poo poo like

yeah it's totally unrealistic, what an insight. Now that I think about it, I'm not even sure that gamma radiation can turn someone into a gigantic green muscle monster, which really ruins the whole thing.

do you say "soy" or "cringe" out loud, as someone who I assume is in their mid to late 30s?

If you have a better way to describe it i'm all ears lol.