Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Payndz posted:

There was an anti-vax protest in Bournemouth today. They might have had more chance of being taken seriously if the protesters hadn't included people in Trump/MAGA hats, placard-waving 5G/New World Order/Bill Gates putting microchips in you conspiracists, and a Karen screaming "Don't you dare spit at me!" at random bystanders (who weren't spitting at her).

There's always conspiracy theorists who are a few scams behind the rest, their shared ignorance actually unites them and makes them more dangerous. You don't know what you don't know, and these people don't know a drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'll never forget the video of a group of them menacing the staff at a covid testing centre and one woman smugly walking off with a box of testing supplies

there are some people who just need a good hiding imo

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
very same phenomenon that led to those ones invading the US capitol and plundering through nancy pelosi's desk looking for evidence of her being a satanic globalist

just unrefined idiocy

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

crispix posted:

very same phenomenon that led to those ones invading the US capitol and plundering through nancy pelosi's desk looking for evidence of her being a satanic globalist

just unrefined idiocy

Yeah I mean her voting record is public info

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

what even is the basis of their protest at this point?

we've been vaccinated against covid for a fair while now and nobody has turned into a zombie-vampire or w/e they were hysterical about when it was a new thing

if your entire personality is screaming about lizard vaccines then presumably you have a fairly stunted social circle and it's nice to get out and meet people every now and then.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

On a not too unrelated note, I'm prepping for Storng Britain's Grate Future by playing through Disco Elysium and I think I've hosed my stats. I put 4 int, 3 psych, 2 phys and 3 motor. I made Interfacing my signature because I love me some lockpicking, but most of the checks involve strength & bolt cutters anyway, and it sort of feels like cheating playing as an amnesiac with an encyclopedic memory.

I'm thinking of restarting because I keep nearly dying of being upset or throwing up, and I'm finding myself savescumming most of the important checks anyway. Inland Empire feels like it's been my most useful stat so far.

Do the days matter much? Do you miss out on stuff if you don't do it by a certain day?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'm thinking of restarting because I keep nearly dying of being upset or throwing up, and I'm finding myself savescumming most of the important checks anyway. Inland Empire feels like it's been my most useful stat so far.

Depends how important your time is. If you have plenty, then just play through the poo poo, take your licks and see what happens. If you don't get much gaming time, then there's more of an argument to restart.

I don't think the days matter too much, I've rushed to get through stuff in the minimal amounts of days before but I don't think it actually gains you anything.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

On a not too unrelated note, I'm prepping for Storng Britain's Grate Future by playing through Disco Elysium and I think I've hosed my stats. I put 4 int, 3 psych, 2 phys and 3 motor. I made Interfacing my signature because I love me some lockpicking, but most of the checks involve strength & bolt cutters anyway, and it sort of feels like cheating playing as an amnesiac with an encyclopedic memory.

Do the days matter much? Do you miss out on stuff if you don't do it by a certain day?
So the two health bar things are governed by Edurarance and Volition, so you could throw a few points into those to stop that from happening. I wouldn't save-scum though because some of the failures are some of the best moments in the game and will keep getting mentioned later on.

On day three the second island opens up. I'm pretty sure thats the only change that occurs as time goes by.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The days stop mattering after the first couple, but you do gotta hustle to get enough money in those two days.

Inland Empire is a very useful skill. So is Shivers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

if your entire personality is screaming about lizard vaccines then presumably you have a fairly stunted social circle and it's nice to get out and meet people every now and then.
The global elite TLAs want to ban you from licking tiny turtles.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I made an appointment yesterday for a combo flu + 4th Covid jab.

My latest selfie:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I do think we were far to quick to rely on the vaccines as the single one true solution, and far too slow to adopt other measures in the early days, but these idiots think that masks and contact tracing and washing your hands are also marks of the beefs.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
also mind numbingly predictable that so many people would so quickly forget what had been tentatively learned, like at work where all the covid screens were recently ripped out and binned because they looked unsightly and sure we'll just cram small rooms with computers for a lot more students who were in them pre-pandemic because covid's over isn't it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

it took me a while to see what was even wrong here

it's pronounced exactly like loch
Someone vandalized the Loughborough Crown Court building and now it is pronounced the same.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
ders no haitch init

ya need a haitch init

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

The days stop mattering after the first couple, but you do gotta hustle to get enough money in those two days.

Inland Empire is a very useful skill. So is Shivers
Cheers all, will be restarting later. It took me until day 3 to actually get to the union boss, but I can forgive the corrupt union shtick because the moralist in the apartment was absolutely brilliant. Particularly the speech check that was like "I seem to be answering 'option 4' or 'other' to everything, does that make me a moralist?"

Got the communist options day 1 and they've been fun. This game is so loving good.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

crispix posted:

also mind numbingly predictable that so many people would so quickly forget what had been tentatively learned, like at work where all the covid screens were recently ripped out and binned because they looked unsightly and sure we'll just cram small rooms with computers for a lot more students who were in them pre-pandemic because covid's over isn't it

The "covid screens" were based off the WHO saying that covid was only spread by aerosols from coughing and sneezing, and that a piece or flimsy plastic would stop the germs reaching you. This ignoring the early and mounting evidence that covid was airborne, even if the original covid strain was only weaky airborne. Omnicron and later strains have been truly airborne, which is why they were much more effective. The old cloth masks and plastic are useless against covid now.

Meamwhile despite having the last two years to update ventilation in schools and other public buildings and people beating that drum, nothing has been done.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Not related to anything recent ITT but thought I'd post about it anyway, since I just looked it up and told somebody on Twitter about it:

You can get Narcan/Naloxone (used to counteract opiate overdoses) for free in the UK, without a prescription. If you're a drug user, are a friend/family of an opiate user, or have reasonable expectation that you may need to use it to save a life (e.g. you're working in an area you may come across somebody having an overdose), you can get it without a prescription.

https://naloxone.org.uk/

I'm not sure exactly how you get it, but I'd think if you call your local pharmacy or 111 they'd be able to point you in the right direction.

Might save a life, innit.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Nothingtoseehere posted:

nothing has been done.

The UK in a nutshell

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Disco is the one game where I accepted almost every failure - there was one that I couldn't accept, but apart from that it makes the fails as interesting as the successes.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

The UK in a nutshell

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lmao, just watching Day Shift on Netflix and if you've ever wondered what vampire Kier Starmer would look like, you don't have to wait long.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Not related to anything recent ITT but thought I'd post about it anyway, since I just looked it up and told somebody on Twitter about it:

You can get Narcan/Naloxone (used to counteract opiate overdoses) for free in the UK, without a prescription. If you're a drug user, are a friend/family of an opiate user, or have reasonable expectation that you may need to use it to save a life (e.g. you're working in an area you may come across somebody having an overdose), you can get it without a prescription.

https://naloxone.org.uk/

I'm not sure exactly how you get it, but I'd think if you call your local pharmacy or 111 they'd be able to point you in the right direction.

Might save a life, innit.

You can also seriously screw your buddy out of their high by hitting them with it just as they're heading off.

Or give someone who's in serious pain a heart attack by reversing all their analgesia.

Use with care and read the label.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

RDevz posted:

There's a condition in the Generation Licence (Condition 17A, paragraph 6) that the company owning the wind farms will have that says that they're not allowed to cross-subsidise any other part of their group. Selling power at anything other than fair market price would be classed as a cross-subsidy and therefore a licence breach. So if Shell own the wind farms, they'll be forced to sell at the current, absurdly high, market prices; and if they're buying in power via PPAs with third parties, the owners of the wind farms aren't going to give a discount on their power, as that'll cause a revolt by their share holders.

Either way, Shell Energy will be paying full price for power while the companies owning the wind farms will be rolling around in a big pit of money.

IIRC energy markets use a bizarre auction system where all the producers end up getting paid the price of the most expensive MWh purchased. So even if you're getting electricity from a wind farm with tiny overheads, if someone is spinning up a gas plant to meet demand at double the usual rate all of the electricity prices go up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm beginning to think that markets are not a good idea. Don't know if anybody has had this idea before.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

IIRC energy markets use a bizarre auction system where all the producers end up getting paid the price of the most expensive MWh purchased. So even if you're getting electricity from a wind farm with tiny overheads, if someone is spinning up a gas plant to meet demand at double the usual rate all of the electricity prices go up.

Sounds like something the labour market should aim to emulate.
CEO of FukuGOtmine decides to bill at £1300 p/h for playing golf and getting lap dances; warehouse worker for Amazon gets £1300 p/h for running around picking orders.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think we already know what vampire Kier Starmer looks like.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Kier Starmer is an energy vampire

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I'm beginning to think that markets are not a good idea. Don't know if anybody has had this idea before.

Apparently this lady has some questions

https://youtu.be/bRhlRM6rYck

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

The UK in a nutshell

UKMT Summer 2022 - Nothing Has Been Done

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Had to laugh at the poll in this Graun article - Starmer has an open goal a mile wide and the potential goalies are wearing lead boots and blindfolds, and he's still not far ahead of any of them and is beaten by "neither of the above" in every case.

What's alarming is that Johnson still polls higher than either Truss or Sunak.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lmao, Johnson really is going to get to walk back into No. 10 in a year or so, isn't he?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Queen Elizabeth III will last say 3-6 months or so, brought down by COLC, then Boris back again as caretaker for a bit, then the Moggster will win the GE, after which there's no point speculating.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Payndz posted:

What's alarming is that Johnson still polls higher than either Truss or Sunak.

No, "alarming" is that Truss is going to win and Johnson actually would be better than her.

(Sunak was never going to poll better than Johnson, because racism.)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Maybe this winter could be our version of "the bins".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Now is the winter of our bincontent.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Brendan Rodgers posted:

They're plastic now so you can't even burn stuff in them to keep warm.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lmao, Johnson really is going to get to walk back into No. 10 in a year or so, isn't he?

back in, new leader poll boost and another wipeout election

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Jel Shaker posted:

back in, new leader poll boost and another wipeout election

Starmer, the next morning: "This is all Jironnie Corbett's fault!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

According to the YouGov poll labour would end up with a 120+ majority.

With which Keith would do absolutely gently caress all but The Guardian and the "moderates" would describe as the most revolutionary government since Cecil B. DeMille