Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

poe meater posted:

Can someone tell me if exploring gets better in chapter 5?

I really hate how the ship controls. The camera stinks. Only good thing is that it's fast.

Moderate spoilers for chapter 7(it's pretty heavily telegraphed when you get your ship):

You get a ship that can go even faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Options I'd like for them to add:

• Chain Attack music toggle (it's great but I want to hear more of They Will Know Our Names)
  • Overkill EXP toggle, so I can leave Overkill on for needless slaughter of a random bunnit, though it wouldn't be much of a thing to worry about in the first place if instead they...
  • Expert mode level adjusting available immediately
  • Oops! All Eunie mode

EDIT: Also Cooking Manana minigame

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh my gosh I just realized that when you craft a gem EVERYONE gets access to it. You don't need to craft two of a gem so that two characters can equip the same gem. They're more like skill unlocks and that's super neat

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah although the XC1 gem system could be used to get far more powerful, it was also a colossal pain in the arse in some ways. Much prefer this system (and would prefer it even more if you could pinpoint monster locations in some way, or browse what mats you're missing outside of camps)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Calaveron posted:

Oh my gosh I just realized that when you craft a gem EVERYONE gets access to it. You don't need to craft two of a gem so that two characters can equip the same gem. They're more like skill unlocks and that's super neat

You can also skip levels! You don't have to craft gems sequentially!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Sorry for asking this question as I'm sure it's been asked before, but is there a method to the unlock rate for classes? I got the first one (on Noah) and I'm seeing wildly different rates of unlock progress for everyone in the party.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Sorry for asking this question as I'm sure it's been asked before, but is there a method to the unlock rate for classes? I got the first one (on Noah) and I'm seeing wildly different rates of unlock progress for everyone in the party.

Yeah the characters with C and D affinity for a class will take a lot longer to unlock it. Quickest way is to beat up some elites and overkill them

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kingtheninja posted:

You get zero progress for class unlocks fighting enemies you've overlevelled with grey names. Some characters unlock certain classes faster than others, there's a letter rating in the top right corner of the class description giving you a vague indication.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I started having more fun when caring less about ensuring every character unlocks every class. It always felt like I couldn’t get in a groove. Well, that and the menus, mainly accessories, genuinely suck.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I slam that Y button to let auto-build set it up, don't need to be super optimal to beat up random wildlife

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Thought about it and it's honestly really strange how little Defender classes there are considering that there's a decent amount of named defenders that we know but just don't have a unique class; Bolearis and Hackt are both defenders but use generic defender weapons even though both of them could easily join up at some point, Bolearis through a hero quest of his own and Hackt could've just been a package deal with Mwamba (which is honestly an even stranger case since not only does he have a class that you never actually get to use that fills a unique niche of high range attacker, but also literally has art for save data, chain attacks, the hero screen, etc that doesn't get used). Hell Hackt and Mwamba are literally in a combat division and go travelling and express wanting to be with the party and talk to them more so it's just. Really strange they never join back in.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Polderjoch posted:

Thought about it and it's honestly really strange how little Defender classes there are
there's also the two mooks that guard Ghondor in prison, who have anime hair and cool polearms

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

there's also the two mooks that guard Ghondor in prison, who have anime hair and cool polearms

True, I forgot about them since they're a bit less major than Bolearis and have less of an excuse than Hackt but they could've easily worked too since I'm pretty sure their polearms are different from Lone Exile's anyway.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Polderjoch posted:

Thought about it and it's honestly really strange how little Defender classes there are considering that there's a decent amount of named defenders that we know but just don't have a unique class; Bolearis and Hackt are both defenders but use generic defender weapons even though both of them could easily join up at some point, Bolearis through a hero quest of his own and Hackt could've just been a package deal with Mwamba (which is honestly an even stranger case since not only does he have a class that you never actually get to use that fills a unique niche of high range attacker, but also literally has art for save data, chain attacks, the hero screen, etc that doesn't get used). Hell Hackt and Mwamba are literally in a combat division and go travelling and express wanting to be with the party and talk to them more so it's just. Really strange they never join back in.

they've announced that they're going to be releasing DLC for this game over the course of the next year and a half, if Mwamba is mostly implemented as a proper hero then it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being a challenge mode unlock or something.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I know people are down on Sena, but I find her adorable

loving lmfao at her not knowing how to pronounce conscience and Taion immediately being like "you never actually heard that word out loud have you"

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

MechaX posted:

I know people are down on Sena, but I find her adorable

I think she's terrific. Strong herbo energy

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
really confused by literally everyone in chapters 5/6 cutscene bomb, both Shania and N make basically zero sense, at least N is obviously a psychopath abuser, Shania just like doesn't even make coherent sense scene to scene?

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022

DACK FAYDEN posted:

really confused by literally everyone in chapters 5/6 cutscene bomb, both Shania and N make basically zero sense, at least N is obviously a psychopath abuser, Shania just like doesn't even make coherent sense scene to scene?

there's more context later but her gimmick is that she hates what her life is like/herself to the point where she wants to join the cycle of being reborn to fight a forever war in hopes that'll be better than what she has now

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

donotpost posted:

there's more context later but her gimmick is that she hates what her life is like/herself to the point where she wants to join the cycle of being reborn to fight a forever war in hopes that'll be better than what she has now
yeah okay so what's her excuse for trying to murder the entire City into the doing, with all that babble about "only the powerful get to live life", like lady you're literally twice as old as our party from forever war hell, yes, you really did get to live even if you're not

also lmao I posted mid-cutscene and then she fuckin killed herself, good riddance, I'm sure we'll see Consul S soon enough or whatever the gently caress but I hope she just never comes up again

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yeah okay so what's her excuse for trying to murder the entire City into the doing, with all that babble about "only the powerful get to live life", like lady you're literally twice as old as our party from forever war hell, yes, you really did get to live even if you're not

also lmao I posted mid-cutscene and then she fuckin killed herself, good riddance, I'm sure we'll see Consul S soon enough or whatever the gently caress but I hope she just never comes up again

They will feature in one characters side story and that's it thankfully

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

"Because I am not strong enough my life is effectively disposable and meaningless in this world and that is among the worst things I can imagine" is a pretty ongoing theme of the game. It's also a large part of J's motivation since J and her are basically two ends of the same spectrum.

Shania was born in a situation where she is forced to live as basically cannon fodder because she isn't strong enough to actually meaningfully impact the world which she acknowledges is awful. The Oroborus was her potential out and then she lost is and a Moebius shows up and is like "Man, sure sucks, huh. Wouldn't it be nice if you had a second chance?" And because Shania is immensely self-hating she decided that it was better to get infinite second chances and erase her current existence than to either die and be a nobody corpse on the ground or become a Moebius and live forever as the lovely person she is. By the end she has basically lost it and just wants people to understand how much pain she is in, which leads to her doing terrible things because she's desperate to make people who actually have the power to change things understand how loving miserable it is to be weak.

She gets compared to Sena because Sena was in a fairly similar position where she basically assumed she kind of sucked and was worthless and it was only her friendship with Mio that changed that until they became Oroborus and even after that she kept thinking it, which is why she and Lanz were both willing to suicide themselves because they instinctively thought of themselves as less useful than the rest of the team. Unlike Shania though Sena had friends and support and also superpowers. Shania on the other hand had loving Ghondor as her closest friend. Ghondor.

She is still a terrible person but her specific brand of terrible person is "the world sucks, everything sucks, I hate the world and I hate myself and the idea of dying and having my personality and everything I am erased is actually better to me than the idea of continuing to live and everyone hates me anyway and they're right to" which is a not-inaccurate depiction of extreme self-destructive depression.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I just got the Soul Hacker class, and being sort of a completionist, I think this class is going to ruin me :negative:

I think I'm just going to keep the class on until it's unlocked for everybody, and give up any hope of actually kitting it out properly.

Also, can you unlock new Soul Hacker stuff without one active in your party? Or will I have to try and slot one in every time I find a new UM now?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

404notfound posted:

I just got the Soul Hacker class, and being sort of a completionist, I think this class is going to ruin me :negative:

I think I'm just going to keep the class on until it's unlocked for everybody, and give up any hope of actually kitting it out properly.

Also, can you unlock new Soul Hacker stuff without one active in your party? Or will I have to try and slot one in every time I find a new UM now?

You get the skill that lets you learn stuff at rank 10 so you can keep learning new abilities using different classes

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mio is a good catgirl

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nyoro posted:

Mio is a good catgirl

Midgame spoilers.

Mio punching the everliving poo poo out of the pontificating Moebius cemented her as one of my favorite JRPG characters ever for that simple act alone.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

Midgame spoilers.

Mio punching the everliving poo poo out of the pontificating Moebius cemented her as one of my favorite JRPG characters ever for that simple act alone.

It was a loving king hit, too

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DACK FAYDEN posted:

something from a future subquest. There is one thing Shania should have copied from Ghondor: her utter contempt for her mother. Shania was the proverbial fish forced to try to climb trees because of her mother. When she couldn't? Massive self-loathing projected into massive loathing for everybody else.

And then (Late Chapter 6 spoilers/spoilers for the above subquest) Who you are doesn't change when you're reborn. She'd still be the same fish trying to climb the same trees. Over and over again. Of course she became Mobius so that didn't happen but that's not much better.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 21, 2022

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

Midgame spoilers.

I was stoned during that cutscene and I'm pretty sure I stood up and applauded

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Bifteen'? Just gave up on that one huh Sena

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

'Bifteen'? Just gave up on that one huh Sena

Sena owns and that's her real ascension quest

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

RuBisCO posted:

Sena owns and that's her real ascension quest

sena has an actual ascension quest but for some reason you unlock machine assassin at the end

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Sakurazuka posted:

You get zero progress for class unlocks fighting enemies you've overlevelled with grey names. Some characters unlock certain classes faster than others, there's a letter rating in the top right corner of the class description giving you a vague indication.

Thank you, I hadn't noticed this yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the overleveling thing is why you should never use bonus experience ever

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm almost at 99 gold nopon coins, are the gold accessories worth buying or should I just shortcut myself to a level 10 gem

e: I just fast traveled to the shop and I guess I could get a second locket but idk if it's worth it I guess unless I want to switch from a 322 build to some form of 412 (and I have no idea if it would be viable/worth it)

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 21, 2022

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm almost at 99 gold nopon coins, are the gold accessories worth buying or should I just shortcut myself to a level 10 gem

e: I just fast traveled to the shop and I guess I could get a second locket but idk if it's worth it I guess unless I want to switch from a 322 build to some form of 412 (and I have no idea if it would be viable/worth it)

Get a gem, either the crit one or the cancel one.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

The accessories are not worth much. The "best" one is Memory Locket, which allows any non-Healer class to revive.

But even then that's super situational imo, since those classes will never revive as good as a Healer will. Healers make excellent revivers because you also stick the two revive gems on them, and you wouldn't stick those on an Attacker/Defender or else you'd seriously hamper their damage even more than you already are by sticking the Memory Locket in them.

You can also get at least one Memory Locket out in the wild.

Post-game mechanic: You can change a Hero's accessories in the post-game. Sticking a Memory Locket on a Hero is actually a pretty good move since the Hero Attackers/Defenders aren't gonna hold a candle to your own party anyways. Might as well give them some utility. But, since you only ever have one Hero at a time and you already get one Memory Locket in the wild...

Level 10 gems are the best use. Of them, the Critical Damage and the Cancel Damage Bonus seems to be two really solid choices.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks! And yeah I'm absolutely slamming the cancel one.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to farm for the rest, Steel Protection is probably a good pick since it's apparently the hardest one to farm for.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I can't wait until the story DLC comes out so we can find out if beating X makes XB3 more or less confusing.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ate there any clues for the hammer Nopons or do you just have to try and remember any prominent ones you've come across (or just look them up)?