Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 for $145 at Gamestop, which sells motherboards now too I guess? https://www.gamestop.com/pc-gaming/pc-components/motherboards/products/msi-pro-z690-a-ddr5-lga-1700-atx-intel-motherboard/325954.html

Teamgroup DDR5-5600 is available on backorder again, still with a "free" 2TB SSD (32GB of RAM + 2TB PCIe 4 SSD for $250): https://www.newegg.com/team-32gb/p/N82E16820331848

two great deals that are even better together. i guess gently caress ddr4 lol

DDR5 has about a year now. It's about time. I also imagine memory manufacturers are in a similar state as GPUs, made too many based on pandemic demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Looking around, I found this: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/new-ssd-showing-in-bios-and-device-manager-but-not-in-disk-manager.3656518/?view=date

Ignore the slapfight and go to the second page. Maybe the solution there will work for you too?

Unfortunately, this wasn't the solution. Confusingly, the drive just showed up on it's own after a restart. No idea what changed, if anything at all.

I love computers, but I also really hate computers.

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
Hey guys, I could use some help. I am putting together this build which I asked about a while back. For some reason, the M.2 SSD is not being detected. Before I try taking it all apart to reseat the SSD, I wanted to ask if anyone knows why this might be happening.

I tried updating the BIOS, but it still isn't detected. I looked in the advanced settings of the motherboard, but didn't see anything about changing the slot to NVMe PCIe mode. I am set to ACHI mode too.

This SSD shouldn't require plugging in any SATA cables at all, right? I didn't plug anything like that in to the motherboard to power it. IIRC it should work just like installing RAM.

I might've left a standoff in the middle of the installation area, like in the 2nd diagram in this image. If I did, could that short circuit it and cause this issue?

edit: just realized I have a similar problem to the poster above, but mine is the 1 TB model, and I still can't get mine to show up in BIOS.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Indeed, there are no cables to plug in. It's possible that you can cause a short circuit with that standoff if it's still in the board, yes. I'd double check the connection and remove that standoff before anything else.

I have to say, it is awfully strange that both of these issues are happening with P3s :tinfoil:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i feel like this loving happened to me and i couldn't figure out how to fix it and can't remember what i did, lol. also a crucial P2. here's a test: if you boot from another drive, can windows see the NVME drive? it's just bios that can't see it?

my solution might literally have been "keep the old OS drive in there and then tell windows to boot to the NVME OS once it has gotten to the "choose windows drive" screen"

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
We just managed to fix it by removing that extra standoff and reseating the SSD. I'm not sure if the standoff was the culprit or maybe the SSD just wasn't plugged in all the way. Thankfully it was that easy!

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Cool Dogs Only posted:

Hey guys, I could use some help. I am putting together this build which I asked about a while back. For some reason, the M.2 SSD is not being detected. Before I try taking it all apart to reseat the SSD, I wanted to ask if anyone knows why this might be happening.

I tried updating the BIOS, but it still isn't detected. I looked in the advanced settings of the motherboard, but didn't see anything about changing the slot to NVMe PCIe mode. I am set to ACHI mode too.

This SSD shouldn't require plugging in any SATA cables at all, right? I didn't plug anything like that in to the motherboard to power it. IIRC it should work just like installing RAM.

I might've left a standoff in the middle of the installation area, like in the 2nd diagram in this image. If I did, could that short circuit it and cause this issue?

edit: just realized I have a similar problem to the poster above, but mine is the 1 TB model, and I still can't get mine to show up in BIOS.

Try disabling or enabling CSM.

Had my boot drive disappear after updating the bios and that setting made the bios detect the drive again.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Extremely disappointed and annoyed with Scorptec (aus) right now.

My friends uncle went to them for parts advice for a build to be used as a Linux VM and CPU compute server. They sweet talked him into an absolutely bullshit 10980XE (!!) build. $1800 for 18 Skylake cores, even before the crazy motherboard price. He spent over five grand in total, and it's even more useless than you'd expect from Skylake-X because they chose a Hyper 212 CPU cooler and it instantly thermal throttles under load. Combined with the new-old-stock 1050ti it feels like they saw a 60yo with low hardware experience and a big budget as an opportunity to clear out poo poo old stock they would never be able to move otherwise.

The initial response from the uncle when we found about the parts was "I don't want to go through the effort of a return, I trust their choices enough" but now that it crashes when he fully loads the CPU it is all going back.

I'm guessing it's probably best to wait until next month to get 13th gen or Zen4? Budget is bogobucks and it is planned to be used for many years to come so a slight delay is fine.

I've only had good experiences with Scorptec before but they are forever a scummy company to me now.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($177.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 Rev.B 39.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB MECH 2X OC Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G6 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ EVGA)
Total: $783.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-08-20 11:46 EDT-0400

Anyone see any standout issues here? I've got an absolute no boot situation (fans spin, nothing else), with the onboard diagnostic LED alternatively blinking red on CPU and yellow on RAM.

Is the single 8 pin CPU power line from this PSU an issue? I was under the impression 12 pin was optional? I've already pulled it all apart and re-seated everything. Used my ghetto jeweler's loupe (camera lens) to look at the socket pins, nothing looked damaged. The motherboard box as delivered was a little smashed, with a heavy indent from one side of the memory release tabs - again though didn't visibly look damaged before I started and the tabs all moved well.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
e wait no

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
no you must have the 12, the 8 is optional

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
I'm reading that as the 8 is not optional? Thank you, off to remedy this.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
12 is main power and is mandatory, 8 is supplemental, optional and really only necessary for high end overclocking as i understand it. without the 12 in it won't boot i think.

i'm still a little concerned that if the mobo took trauma in shipping that it might have flexed and hosed with the sockets so things aren't connected right/at all though.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Yeah just did a PSU transplant and no change. The MB must have been damaged.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

CoolCab posted:

no you must have the 12, the 8 is optional

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

32 Gb of ram isn’t unreasonable anymore.

I would not buy a prebuilt from HP or any extremely large manufacturer. They are all very bad.

I’d go to microcenter and inquire about their building service. You pick the parts and they’ll put it together. Best of both worlds.

Or just look at the prebuilts from smaller companies.

Lenovo is the only OEM that I would feel comfortable recommending buying a prebuilt from. They use a standard midtower chassis with generally no proprietary bullshit--standard ATX motherboard, power supply, standard power connectors, etc.

I would strongly recommend against getting either of these. HP is a strict no-go, and IPASON is not a brand I've seen any feedback for. And that prebuilt of theirs is absurdly overpriced--$1800 for a 5700X/3060 is ridiculous. I don't have any faith in them using good quality components, and that chassis seems awful (wtf kind of brand is "huntkey"?).

apologies if i asked this before already but what's the issue with buying pre-builts from bigger companies?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mr Interweb posted:

apologies if i asked this before already but what's the issue with buying pre-builts from bigger companies?

They tend to use proprietary parts instead of standard parts you could replace or upgrade yourself, and generally put those parts together in bad cases and load the system down with preinstalled services and adware as well.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mr Interweb posted:

They use a lot of proprietary parts that can't be replaced with anything off the shelf when they break, they also use the cheapest possible components and a lot of them are repurposed from business division machines so the breaking is "when" and not "if" - build quality and cable management also tend to be pretty poor but when it's a hunk of poo poo to start with it's hard to critique zip tie placement

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

12 is main power and is mandatory, 8 is supplemental, optional and really only necessary for high end overclocking as i understand it. without the 12 in it won't boot i think.

i'm still a little concerned that if the mobo took trauma in shipping that it might have flexed and hosed with the sockets so things aren't connected right/at all though.

I feel like there is a fundamental misunderstanding occurring here. There's 24-pin ATX power that's mandatory, and then 4-pin CPU power connectors, which provide power to your CPU. You need at least one of those 4-pins, usually two, and basically never more than two unless you're doing extreme overclocking. Two can be grouped together into an 8-pin.

I think the OP is saying that 8 pins for the CPU is all they thought was needed and that the extra four was optional. This is correct.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

njsykora posted:

They tend to use proprietary parts instead of standard parts you could replace or upgrade yourself, and generally put those parts together in bad cases and load the system down with preinstalled services and adware as well.

DoombatINC posted:

They use a lot of proprietary parts that can't be replaced with anything off the shelf when they break, they also use the cheapest possible components and a lot of them are repurposed from business division machines so the breaking is "when" and not "if" - build quality and cable management also tend to be pretty poor but when it's a hunk of poo poo to start with it's hard to critique zip tie placement

ah right, makes sense

so which smaller companies are good to buy from?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

ah right, makes sense

so which smaller companies are good to buy from?

GamersNexus has reviewed a Skytech system positively before (I linked to one that seemed good in my other response to you). GamersNexus also looked at a Redux PC and found its build quality to be good (but they criticized them on value, which can be variable depending on what and when you order). Micro Center's PowerSpec PCs also seem good.

edit: And I'm not saying that PC I linked was an amazing deal or anything, just the most acceptable out of all the others I was seeing. Your friend could still save a lot of money by building a PC themselves. To illustrate that, I put together a parts list using similar specs to that Skytech PC, but with faster DDR5 and twice as much of it, and double the storage capacity, for $100 less. Prebuilt companies like to scale prices disproportionately as they put higher-end components in the PC, so you'd probably have to end up paying $1800 or more for a prebuilt with those specs.

(the SSD there comes bundled with the memory, which is why it's marked as $0)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 20, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

I feel like there is a fundamental misunderstanding occurring here. There's 24-pin ATX power that's mandatory, and then 4-pin CPU power connectors, which provide power to your CPU. You need at least one of those 4-pins, usually two, and basically never more than two unless you're doing extreme overclocking. Two can be grouped together into an 8-pin.

I think the OP is saying that 8 pins for the CPU is all they thought was needed and that the extra four was optional. This is correct.

ohhhhh that makes more sense.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
in my head i was going "there's a big one and a small one and you definitely need the big one", lol

so - check connections, reseat everything. if it is a slot it might be one of the dimm slots, check them all, check all your ram. my honest expectation is that if it's not a power issue it's probably the mobo got busted, they can be surprisingly sensitive.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DoombatINC posted:

What's the problem with the business machine divisions, and what actually breaks?

I was planning on getting a boring Dell micro desktop for the next iteration of my home server. I've had a lot of prebuilts over the years, and have found that Dell / HP / Lenovo stuff is much better put together than the no-name junk on Aliexpress, like the Beelink I recently bought. The only thing that's really wrong with the no-name off brand junk tends to be bad thermals and noisy fans, I haven't actually had any complaints with Dell Optiplexes or Lenovo Thinkstations.

Edit: If anything, I've been impressed by overall power efficiency when kill-a-watt-ing them and comparing to my homebuilts. Some part of this has gotta be that they're all on 12V-Only power supplies, which are just starting to exist in the homebuilt market.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 20, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the problem with the business machine divisions, and what actually breaks?

I was planning on getting a boring Dell micro desktop for the next iteration of my home server. I've had a lot of prebuilts over the years, and have found that Dell / HP / Lenovo stuff is much better put together than the no-name junk on Aliexpress, like the Beelink I recently bought. The only thing that's really wrong with the no-name off brand junk tends to be bad thermals and noisy fans, I haven't actually had any complaints with Dell Optiplexes or Lenovo Thinkstations.

Edit: If anything, I've been impressed by overall power efficiency when kill-a-watt-ing them and comparing to my homebuilts. Some part of this has gotta be that they're all on 12V-Only power supplies, which are just starting to exist in the homebuilt market.

I'm going to assume he's referring to normal sized towers built, not (u)SFF's.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an uSFF for 2D/productivity only use, and I have a lenovo m93p running proxmox in my apartment, it sips power and makes zero noise.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

My experience is that the motherboards start getting flaky before anything else, and they're always in a weird shape that was only ever released for that one make and model of system. Just yesterday my HP EliteDesk started barking morse code at me after a restart because apparently "the embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization" which I think is ancient druidic for "you'd better also budget a new power supply for when you replace this motherboard because it's proprietary too."

Wibla posted:

I'm going to assume he's referring to normal sized towers built, not (u)SFF's.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an uSFF for 2D/productivity only use, and I have a lenovo m93p running proxmox in my apartment, it sips power and makes zero noise.

Yeah I'm specifically talking about full-sized enthusiast towers, which is what I'd figure most people reading this thread would be buying - the home building market for USFF / MFF stuff is depressingly sparse

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
I was approached to help a close friend build a computer. The main purpose of the computer is streaming. I do not stream so out of my element here. The ask was to help setup a dual pc streaming setup. I don't think they need dual pc streaming because the friend does cooking streams, not gaming. Tell me if I am wrong though. He wants one pc to stream and then the other to do all the "fun" stuff like light control and sound effects. If the streaming PC is strong enough wouldn't they just need another monitor to control the lights and sound?

Not sure if its worth building from scratch or finding a prebuilt computer on Newegg. My last personal PC build I did was Intel. It was about the time that AMD started to overtake Intel on CPU performance. Is that still the case?

Working on a build using PC Part Picker.

Here is the build I have so far:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 58000X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: Gigabyte Xh570 Aorus Elite
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB
Memory:Western Digital SN550 1 TB NVME
GPU: Asus RTX 3060 12 GB
Case: Fractal Meshify C Mid Tower
Power: EVGA SuperNova 750W

Thank you!

Fixit fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 21, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
New hardware issues for me,

Updated from a 3600X to a 5950X with the recent sale, as that was what I had originally been planning to put in this PC when I built it but there was no stock anywhere.

BIOS was on v3001 from the end of 2020, which is fine for the 5000 series. But my board won't accept any BIOS file from ASUS as a valid BIOS file, just throws an error in the EZUpdate utility

That is probably related to issue 2:

Had previously been running 128GB of DDR4-3600 at its rated speed, now I can't post if I set my memory speed to 3600Mhz, its defaulting to 2133. Also the CPU is always trying to boost to the mid 4's on even the lightest of loads. I'm curious if anyone has had similar issues with Asus motherboard clock control like that? Or if there is some CPU + Memory clock and timing control tweaks I need to make to get back to rated memory speed with the change in CPU?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Reset to optimised defaults and try updating the BIOS again?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zen 3 will boost fairly aggressively. If it's doing any amount of work, it likes to do it at a healthy boost clock. That doesn't mean it's using a lot of power to do it, but just that it likes to do things at high clock speeds. If your CPU is constantly a large amount of power to do anything, then there may be something going on with c-states or something in your bios.

CPUs will have some degree of variance when it comes to the integrated memory controller, too. That said, it really should be capable of handling DDR4-3600. Are you using the XMP profile? (enable DOCP in the asus bios.) If you're just freehanding the memory OC, then you also have to remember to change the timings and voltages.

edit: If you install Ryzen Master or HWiNFO64, they'll tell you the "effective clock" speed of your CPU cores, which will be different from the value Task Manager gives you. Task Manager doesn't take into account sleep states and such. You can also monitor power usage and utilization more effectively with these programs (especially hwinfo) so you can more easily tell if something is wrong.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 21, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I will like to update that I am indeed a bit of an idiot and kept letting the asus site direct me to the bios screen for a similar but not exact match board.

TGX570W != TGX570PW

The DOCP change did fix the issue. For whatever reason the XCP profile was keeping ram voltage at 1.2 I stead of 1.35v

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Fixit posted:

I was approached to help a close friend build a computer. The main purpose of the computer is streaming. I do not stream so out of my element here. The ask was to help setup a dual pc streaming setup. I don't think they need dual pc streaming because the friend does cooking streams, not gaming. Tell me if I am wrong though. He wants one pc to stream and then the other to do all the "fun" stuff like light control and sound effects. If the streaming PC is strong enough wouldn't they just need another monitor to control the lights and sound?

Not sure if its worth building from scratch or finding a prebuilt computer on Newegg. My last personal PC build I did was Intel. It was about the time that AMD started to overtake Intel on CPU performance. Is that still the case?

Working on a build using PC Part Picker.

Here is the build I have so far:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 58000X
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard: Gigabyte Xh570 Aorus Elite
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB
Memory:Western Digital SN550 1 TB NVME
GPU: Asus RTX 3060 12 GB
Case: Fractal Meshify C Mid Tower
Power: EVGA SuperNova 750W

Thank you!
The way a dual PC setup works is you have one PC for the game, and then the second computer to run OBS and encode the video for the stream. This was more prominent in the days when x264 CPU encoding and lower core counts were more common and so you would bottleneck the CPU of a single PC trying to game and encode at the same time. NVENC has done a lot to mitigate the need for dual PC setups, extreme requirements excepted. There are some games where it eats enough resources that a dual PC setup is still viable, the one that comes to mind are more competitive Apex Legends streamers. Non-gaming streams would be very strange, the use case for that would be very niche. It makes no sense to not just run the video feed into obs, streamers with a dual PC setup still run their camera directly into the streaming PC.

I would strongly suggest to verify the need for a dual PC setup because unless you are gaming or doing something of similar intensity like, say, rendering 3d on the first PC, I do not understand the use case at all, and in fact it would be outright detrimental for running in a camera.

Which PC are you building then?
The stream encoding PC does not need to be that high-end. Either you get the latest generation of NVENC on the GPU (all NVENC chips of the same generation are the same so it doesn't have to be a high end card, any 30-series I think), or you ignore GPU entirely and get a good CPU. Intel is technically on top right now with 12th gen for mid-range price brackets, but it does depend on motherboard cost, shop around and if a 12400 or 12600k makes sense those would be better depending on budget, both have igpu. 12400f if you're going with nvenc. Nothing wrong with AMD's offerings if the cheaper motherboard costs make them more budget friendly wherever you are shopping. For the streaming PC you will need a capture card, as that is the typical method to go from the gaming PC to the streaming PC

The PC running the game (or other similarly intensive task) is just a normal gaming PC, so just the biggest GPU in budget and a 12400f, etc.

ALL THAT SAID I still don't understand the use-case I just hope there's enough info here to untangle it for yourself.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i think there are other positives to running the stream from another machine; if the game crashes or whatever you don't risk losing your stream, there's no microstutters or whatever as you've alluded to with competitive games and you can have someone else do the technical work on another device, i would imagine even remotely if you had to. also you can run much more complex like overlays and UIs and stuff and not worry about system resources. i wanna say steve from hardware unboxed swears by it.

e: oh, and you're buying most of this if you're doing console streaming anyway, so for a lot of content creators it's not that much of an additional cost

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

i think there are other positives to running the stream from another machine; if the game crashes or whatever you don't risk losing your stream, there's no microstutters or whatever as you've alluded to with competitive games and you can have someone else do the technical work on another device, i would imagine even remotely if you had to. also you can run much more complex like overlays and UIs and stuff and not worry about system resources. i wanna say steve from hardware unboxed swears by it.

e: oh, and you're buying most of this if you're doing console streaming anyway, so for a lot of content creators it's not that much of an additional cost

None of this applies to the situation being asked about since there is no gaming happening.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Hey folks, it's time for an upgrade! I hosed up and skimped on the motherboard when I first bought this, so I've never gotten the most out of my RAM, and the whole thing is like 3 years old at this point.

Current System: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/WKR3W4

All I'm looking to actually upgrade here is the Mobo, CPU (and maybe the RAM if it'll be enough of a performance boost)
I'm not wed to the current case but i'd rather not spend too much on a new one if it'll be necessary.

What country are you in?
UK

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
Games (Mapgames mostly, and VR) and Audio/Video editing. Also streaming.

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
£800 for Mobo, CPU (and a decent cooling system probably), and if it's worth it, new RAM

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
3440x1440, monitor can run at like 165hz. Graphics wise i'll be putting a 2060 in, I don't think I'd have nearly enough budget wise to get a decent upgrade for that as well.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
Regularly Adobe Audition, Occasionally Adobe After Effects and Blender.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

None of this applies to the situation being asked about since there is no gaming happening.

i was speaking about the use cases of the technology generally but i dunno it depends entirely on their setup, cooking shows almost always have technical staff. they could be asking for something like a laptop/display technical setup like is pretty common for bigger channel livestreams, where the host can still read whatever they need to (chats, the script, messages from the technical crew, recipes whatever) but someone else is doing the actual streaming. i dunno that still doesn't make a ton of sense, but it is the closest thing i can think of that makes any sense?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

CoolCab posted:

It's a massive pain in the rear end, audio setup for dual PC is a nightmare that requires a mixer with routing, doubly so if you're regularly in discord calls, capture cards are some of the most unreliable pieces of hardware on the market, two keyboards and mice getting in your way, hell some people even need two stream decks. Not something I would choose unless the performance difference would actually matter.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Hey folks, it's time for an upgrade! I hosed up and skimped on the motherboard when I first bought this, so I've never gotten the most out of my RAM, and the whole thing is like 3 years old at this point.

All I'm looking to actually upgrade here is the Mobo, CPU (and maybe the RAM if it'll be enough of a performance boost)
I'm not wed to the current case but i'd rather not spend too much on a new one if it'll be necessary.

What country are you in?
UK

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
£800 for Mobo, CPU (and a decent cooling system probably), and if it's worth it, new RAM

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
3440x1440, monitor can run at like 165hz. Graphics wise i'll be putting a 2060 in, I don't think I'd have nearly enough budget wise to get a decent upgrade for that as well.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?

hey bud!

you do not need to upgrade your motherboard, you do not really need to upgrade your ram. you DO need to upgrade your GPU to push that resolution. fortunately a CPU, GPU and cooling solution is well within 800 quid, and you could sell the 2060 once you're done for it for a bit of money back too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sanitary Naptime posted:

What country are you in?
UK

I'm looking around, and it seems like the B450 Aorus Elite should be capable of running DDR4-3200, but the Ryzen 2000 series was sort of flakey at those speeds. It's possible that doing a simple in-socket upgrade to a 5000-series CPU would allow you to run that memory at 3200 like you're supposed to be able to, no new mobo needed. I would try this first, and if it still doesn't work, then consider a new mobo. That motherboard is compatible with 5000-series CPUs with a BIOS update.

I'd look for a 5700X. It's a solid 8-core CPU that's very power efficient, and you likely won't even need a new cooler for it. (edit: I just checked, and the 5700X should be easier to cool than your current CPU)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Sup Coolcab!

So the Motherboard is actually loving awful at running RAM past 2333 without it needing tweaked and I've never managed to get it running stable past 3000. The major problems i'm having are when doing late mapgame stuff (it fuckin crawls) where the RAM and CPU could be more helpful, and exporting audio edits, which, same.

I've managed to run HL Alyx pretty much no bother at a decent setting, so getting myself up to 165Hz isn't really a huge priority (I got the monitor because w i d e lol)

E: ty 0031, that would be the easiest route out of this hell