Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I remember the thrill of my first tier ten miner. A couple hundred more later, not so much . . .

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Bremen posted:

I opened up Curseforge, hit create custom profile, then import and selected the zip. It seems to be working fine.

This did the trick, thanks!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wonder, having gotten the infinite tank myself, what it would be like to restart a challenge (or I guess less challenging) run from scratch, but with the tank already in hand. Chemistry stations and air condensers would sure feel different.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Lordshmee posted:

And I know, the long slog is ahead after tank if I really want to finish the pack. But with free liquids I think it might be a more chill challenge. I hope so anyway because I’m probably gonna spend another year building an actual base to house all the new factories.
I had expected to have to completely rebuild my base and I even relocated into orbit with that expectation but it just never really happened that way - Your entire DML setup stays, your autocrafting setup stays, you definitely replace bits and pieces of your factory and slot in creative tanks here and there but actually rebuilding it all from scratch is just kind of a waste of time.

A lot of people talked/warned about the "post-tank slog" but it didn't feel like that to me, it felt like a different mode where you've got a working factory and all the knowledge of what you need but now just have to find bottlenecks and scale stuff up. The biggest annoyance were things that I could not duplicate with the gadgets like making 50 draconic crafters and having to encode a million subcomponents for autocrafting that were never used. It would have been cooler had the creative items been made more of machines I had previously used in the pack rather than random gregtech machines that were never built because post-tank the materials to craft them aren't relevant and it felt a lot like busy work.

I enjoyed destroying my EBFs and replacing them with high performance PAs and really leaning into the "export single item into max-sized adjacent drawer" and liked the orderly look of the post-tank factory rather than a mess of cobbled-together pipes and machines. It felt like real progress and an opportunity to do a thing "right" the second time.

You're still probably ~10 hours away from creative power once you get tank so there's plenty to do even before shooting for creative vending.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 18, 2022

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Tank acquired! I’m really looking forward to the new progression. You’re probably right about the new base thing. I started in a void world, so I think I’ll just make a fancy new floor in the same chunk space and meticulously lay out whatever new contraptions I come up with. Maybe I’ll actually use things like facades and slopes and walls and poo poo! We’ll see. I possess very little creativity when it comes to building in Minecraft.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I didn't bother and just sectioned off some parts of new construction to a pile of fluid solidifiers. I started out with my typical MV tier, thinking that they'd be well ahead of things if I just let things run when I was offline. Nope. It was better to just go high-tier all-the-way.

What else was amusing was effectively nullifying some of my first passive automation with fluid solidifiers. All the EnderIO alloys need to be done in huge quantities, and so many different wire types too. Then there's the plates! I think it's quicker to solidify plates than process it afterwards.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you need to mass-produce plates, solidify blocks and run them through a cutting machine.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah the power problems are real in Nomifactory.

Works perfectly, until you turn your back and bam.

I got my reactor to process the fuel. I used 3 redstone conduits to wrap around the control unit. I tossed a restone time filter set to 12. It turns on and off constantly, and is stupidly slow. But it works

That link for a better reactor didnt work out of discord and i couldnt find it when i got on discord to look

This is my reactor control circuit. The redstone conduit on the bottom of the controller has a sensor filter in it and inputs on purple. It outputs purple to the back of the (vanilla) comparator. The circle thing on the side of the comparator is the draconic evolutions potentiometer which is set to 8. The right side of the comparator inputs on light blue and connects to the right side of the reactor where it outputs and has a NOT filter. The potentiometer only needs a single draconium dust which is easy enough to get in The End.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You could also use a bunch of extra space to manually dilute a standard redstone signal, it's just way more convenient to have it in a single, controllable block.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I didn't bother and just sectioned off some parts of new construction to a pile of fluid solidifiers. I started out with my typical MV tier, thinking that they'd be well ahead of things if I just let things run when I was offline. Nope. It was better to just go high-tier all-the-way.

What else was amusing was effectively nullifying some of my first passive automation with fluid solidifiers. All the EnderIO alloys need to be done in huge quantities, and so many different wire types too. Then there's the plates! I think it's quicker to solidify plates than process it afterwards.

I have spent the last four hours doing nothing except producing and laying out IV fluid solidifiers. They seem “plenty fast.” I can’t wait to put this tremendous new mountain of resources to work in style! First order of business is setting up a T8 power ball and some naq reactors to feed it, then onto mass production!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Started a brand new GTNH save. This beginning is quite a bit tougher than my previous ones. My normal playstyle is to make a bed as soon as possible, then explore widely and steal as much as I possibly can. Only problem is, the quality and quantity of loot I'm getting this time is absolutely abysmal. No steel. No saddles. And so on. Larceny is not paying off and it is making me unhappy.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Lordshmee posted:

I have spent the last four hours doing nothing except producing and laying out IV fluid solidifiers. They seem “plenty fast.”

I know I had to add a few LuV-tier solidifiers to shore up some of mine, with some of the stragglers coincidentally being IV-tier. Lacking any more details, I can only say to be ready for it.

I would just list off all my fast solidifiers but I am emptying out my house for closing on Monday so my shitposting is at a low.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 20, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Mwahahah. Just got creative tanks and I'm brainstorming all the awesome automation and mining bypassing I can do with them. It's also fun to be at a spot where I can just autocraft several hundred LuV pumps for fluid solidifiers without blinking. :q:

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 20, 2022

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

The changes in the dev pack and the not make things both easier and harder.

Before i was just wrapping cable in rubber. Now i need to make silicone rubber and assemble that stuff ><

And im going to bite the bullet and make a few more fission reactors just to get me mats i need ><

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Meskhenet posted:

Before i was just wrapping cable in rubber. Now i need to make silicone rubber and assemble that stuff ><

And im going to bite the bullet and make a few more fission reactors just to get me mats i need ><

Having to partially or wholly rebuild all the modular machines was a pain in the rear end too, but it's nice that they get overclocking abilities now. Processing a whole stack of Tier 1 microminers for exquisite diamonds nearly-instantaneously is fantastic.

I was originally weighing the possibility of having to build a whole new base for Creative Tank processing, but then I realized just how much real estate in my main base is taken up by chemistry machinery that can just be torn down now.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

I wouldn't bother with too many of the isotopes in retrospect. You certainly need a bunch to get to the point of a creative tank, but then you can just melt down a single nugget of whatever and have an infinite source. I get the impression I did this progression poorly because I ended up powering myself with nuclear power without using fusion power at all, and I only needed to boost this with some naquadah reactors until I get a creative energy cell.

Now if you're actually enjoying tinkering with nuclearcraft then I'm not your dad and I can't tell you what to do.

RocketMermaid posted:

Having to partially or wholly rebuild all the modular machines was a pain in the rear end too, but it's nice that they get overclocking abilities now. Processing a whole stack of Tier 1 microminers for exquisite diamonds nearly-instantaneously is fantastic.
I didn't take advantage of this and it was a big stupid in retrospect. I think even shoving MAX into the advanced miners would have been a nice help.

quote:

I was originally weighing the possibility of having to build a whole new base for Creative Tank processing, but then I realized just how much real estate in my main base is taken up by chemistry machinery that can just be torn down now.

I've seen plenty of folks on the Discord talk about ripping out the wires and starting over with the creative tanks, but it just seemed like so much work.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 21, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Having infinites of rare metals and byproducts was great, but for me the biggest upside for creative tanks was all the chemistry reactions, distillation towers, breweries, and atmospheric condensers I could now just completely shut down. Goodbye, good riddance.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I just did T4 miner, im ages away from the creative tank

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Meskhenet posted:

I just did T4 miner, im ages away from the creative tank

And I've barely made my first steam dynamo...

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
Tekkit 2 is coming out on the 27th: https://www.technicpack.net/article/announcing-tekkit-2.191
I wonder what it will contain and what version of minecraft it will be.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I read on the FTB subreddit that it's going to be 1.12.2, which is pretty underwhelming if true.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's 1.2.5

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Rutibex strikes again!

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I’m jumping back into the modded Minecraft world. Read up on a few packs and though I’d like to jump straight into GT:NH, I’ve never played a GregTech pack and think that’d be a bit much to start. Instead, I’m going with Nomifactory. This is a community updated version of Omnifactory. There’s a separate version that has the slightly updated GTCEu port that’s called Nomifactory-GTCEu. That’s what I’m rocking with for now.

Anyone had any experience with that?

Any advice for a first time GregTech player?

Only thing I’m familiar with are FTB: Infinity Evolved and Enigmática 2: Expert. Looking forward to it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I went from OMnifactory to GTNH and I think that's a great choice. Lots of fun in the pack and it gives you a real opportunity to understand gregtech.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I was actually just about to reinstall for a fresh playthrough. Nomifactory wasn't a thing last I played, and Nomifactory-GTCEu seems even more recent. Which version should I go with? Is GTCEu significantly changed? More convenient?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Nomifactory GTCEu is known as “STE” or Self Torture Edition. It’s basically GTNH done by different devs with oh-so-slightly less grind, but not much.

If you think GT sounds like too much then GTCEu probably is too. I recommend Nomifactory updated to the latest dev snapshot personally. It’s a pretty radical departure from “regular modded tech pack” but still not the “squeeze your nuts in a vice” full blown GregTech slog.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm pretty familiar with Omnifactory as a start, and even made it post-tank, just wondering what the main differences are in the two Nomifactory versions, but I guess I should just try them out and check the questbooks for myself.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Vib Rib posted:

I'm pretty familiar with Omnifactory as a start, and even made it post-tank, just wondering what the main differences are in the two Nomifactory versions, but I guess I should just try them out and check the questbooks for myself.

Here's what I could find when I was deciding between the two:

quote:

GregTech CE Unofficial (GTCEu) is a GTCE fork aiming to fix the shortcomings of GTCE on 1.12.2. This new version contains a more complete progression up to UV (compared to CE, which only reached EV and relied on addons to fill in the rest), as well as far better performance. It also fixes many, many CE bugs, and adds some nice stuff like emissive textures, new multiblocks, and a material tree. Overall, it's a more robust GregTech experience on 1.12.2, coming much closer to what GT5u achieved.

I've spent a while porting the popular Omnifactory (whose development is continued under Nomifactory) to GTCEu, as worlds aren't compatible between the two GT versions. I've also made adjustments to the content and progression of the pack to fit the litany of changes CEu makes. For instance, you can make Draconium with Gasoline instead of Nitro-Diesel. The quest book is completely updated to fit the added progression elements.

For those experienced with GregTech, I've also included a hard mode of this pack, which turns it into a sort of "GTNH lite" on 1.12 with no mobs nor magic. There's no early easy infinite resources through Deep Mob Learning, the Creative Tank is replaced with reusable Stabilized Micro Miners, and there's many harder recipe chains for various materials.

Whether you're looking to (re)discover Omnifactory or GregTech, or were put off by GTCE being GTCE in the original pack, I hope you enjoy this fusion of the Omnifactory non-grindy playstyle with the robustness of GTCEu.

Download nomi-ceu here: https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/nomi-ceu. It's feature-complete, but I'll update it as CEu updates with new content, which is every week or so.

Or further info here:

quote:

The difference is some drama.

Omnifactory is just an old version that stopped development, only Nomifactory is left, and there isn't one reason to prefer the old one.

The problem is the FOUR Nomifactory versions:

Nomifactory 1.2.2? (on curseforge) This is the "stable" version. But people should be discouraged to use this, it's old and the more up to date version is better from every point of view.

Nomifactory "nightly build", this one is the good one. Usually in software nightly builds are unstable bleeding edge versions. But Nomifactory is very stable even in dev and they have delayed a new version without a good reason. When 1.3 will be released it will be the same of this one.

Nomifactory CEu (normal mode) this is the port to CEU described here. It's brand new, but the modpack has been tested sufficiently and plays well. The problem is more on the side of GregTech, since CEU itself is still into heavy development and some important refactors. So... this one plays great ALREADY, but possible later updates could make some changes. At least the devs pay attention trying to make updates compatible.

Nomifactory CEu (hard mode) this is more or less a port of Omnifactory STE. It's actually more complex that STE was, but overall much better put together. Hard mode works well for both newbies and veterans (the questbook is your guide, and if you get stuck just ask on discord), it's just more content and more stuff to do.

Omnifactory players who want to port old worlds should use 1.2.2, because it's compatible. Instructions are on Curseforge version notes. New players should either consider Nomifactory dev version, or the port to CEu here, normal or hard.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Huh. I didn’t know there were two versions of the CEu flavor. I may well check out its normal mode on my next run.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I forgot about my least favorite part of starting Omnifactory: Trying to find a good place to make my base.
Inhabiting an existing building in Lost Cities is difficult because 1 chunk isn't remotely enough and you'll need at least a 2x2 to get started, plus you'll need to gut the building to connect each floor and it's gonna take a while just knocking walls down, raising ceilings, and repairing any building damage (which seems to show up even when I choose the `NoDamage` Lost Cities variant). Starting in a void, superflat, or even out in the wilderness surrounding the city is probably a much simpler, easier solution, but then I need several thousand blocks so I can make a flat foundation and more still to make walls and get that base humming from scratch.

I remember spending a significant amount of time in my first playthrough just knocking down parts of the building I'd settled in so I could get the most out of my space, and all the places the windows or fancy edges had to be ripped out to maximize building area.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I forgot about my least favorite part of starting Omnifactory: Trying to find a good place to make my base.
Inhabiting an existing building in Lost Cities is difficult because 1 chunk isn't remotely enough and you'll need at least a 2x2 to get started, plus you'll need to gut the building to connect each floor and it's gonna take a while just knocking walls down, raising ceilings, and repairing any building damage (which seems to show up even when I choose the `NoDamage` Lost Cities variant). Starting in a void, superflat, or even out in the wilderness surrounding the city is probably a much simpler, easier solution, but then I need several thousand blocks so I can make a flat foundation and more still to make walls and get that base humming from scratch.

I remember spending a significant amount of time in my first playthrough just knocking down parts of the building I'd settled in so I could get the most out of my space, and all the places the windows or fancy edges had to be ripped out to maximize building area.

I kinda like this bit.

Set up a few machines to churn out 'X', work on making my base look good.

Ive recently just gutted a large section and used a few factory blocks to add a bit of colour.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I tend to want it all done before I settle in, so it's a very frontloaded part. That, and just choosing the right spot is kinda stressful, since there's no way I'll be able to easily move once I get a few things built and I have to pick just right.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

I set up in the void world. You can travel back and forth easily with cake, JourneyMap, or the /home feature. You can easily get a builders wand and then use a diamond hammer to quickly get enough materials to build out whatever space you need. Much more free range than having to mold into an existing building.

Also, I didn’t know Lost Cities had a no damage setting. Sucks it was reported to not work because that would be enticing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

GTNH update: I've reached the steam age. After clearing the insanely difficult, player filtering "grow 10 carrots" quest and making a bed, I started exploring the world, using the bed as a makeshift sleeping bag to skip the night. The loot gods were against me -- no saddles could be found, so this was a particularly lengthy period of exploration, all on foot (with its attendant hunger problems; riding a horse is a zero-hunger experience.)

In the end, I settled in a bamboo grove. Bamboo is an incredibly useful material -- it acts as a stick in crafting, grows extremely fast, and the entire bamboo tree can be felled by punching the bottom block with an empty fist. The Bamboo Forest biome also sports 90% humidity, making it nearly perfect for the Railcraft Water Tank (and certainly beyond the 50% minimum I demand for such things.)

I had to craft a saddle myself. O, the indignity.

I was able to find four steel ingots while committing widespread larceny, so I was able to churn out a Tool Forge slightly before the normal game progression allows it. The TiCon hammer it affords me will radically simplify mining, as soon as I can get enough modifiers to cram it full of redstone. I've also had tremendous luck with minerals -- I've already located calcite, gypsum, and one of the Roguelike Dungeons worldgen houses that are made of brick. This is everything I need for my first Bricked Blast Furnace. I've also found Mica already, so all of my resource hurdles for the next three tiers are solved already, except for gallium (which is just a trip to the nether anyways.) The only remaining question mark is oil -- I can't prospect for multiblock pump reservoirs of oil until LV, so it remains to be seen if the area I've settled has useful oil reserves. Here's hoping. My settlement is close to a moderately large gusher, which should see me through LV if I'm lucky.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Problem with my assembler. That long one.

I made a motor successfully through a pattern

I then made a piston pattern,

and now only the motor pattern works, the piston pattern only drops items in the first input

Do i have to build an assembly line for every pattern?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Meskhenet posted:

and now only the motor pattern works, the piston pattern only drops items in the first input

If you are playing a gurgpack, then you know the question you should be asking is "How many assembly lines do I need to build for each pattern?"

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Meskhenet posted:

My sense of smell tells me you have the wrong crafting mode for the piston recipe, but I haven't experience that specific problem. I was a pro at getting the wrong blocking mode set and having a party in my assembler inputs.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

GTNH update: I've reached the steam age. After clearing the insanely difficult, player filtering "grow 10 carrots" quest and making a bed, I started exploring the world, using the bed as a makeshift sleeping bag to skip the night. The loot gods were against me -- no saddles could be found, so this was a particularly lengthy period of exploration, all on foot (with its attendant hunger problems; riding a horse is a zero-hunger experience.)

In the end, I settled in a bamboo grove. Bamboo is an incredibly useful material -- it acts as a stick in crafting, grows extremely fast, and the entire bamboo tree can be felled by punching the bottom block with an empty fist. The Bamboo Forest biome also sports 90% humidity, making it nearly perfect for the Railcraft Water Tank (and certainly beyond the 50% minimum I demand for such things.)

I had to craft a saddle myself. O, the indignity.

I was able to find four steel ingots while committing widespread larceny, so I was able to churn out a Tool Forge slightly before the normal game progression allows it. The TiCon hammer it affords me will radically simplify mining, as soon as I can get enough modifiers to cram it full of redstone. I've also had tremendous luck with minerals -- I've already located calcite, gypsum, and one of the Roguelike Dungeons worldgen houses that are made of brick. This is everything I need for my first Bricked Blast Furnace. I've also found Mica already, so all of my resource hurdles for the next three tiers are solved already, except for gallium (which is just a trip to the nether anyways.) The only remaining question mark is oil -- I can't prospect for multiblock pump reservoirs of oil until LV, so it remains to be seen if the area I've settled has useful oil reserves. Here's hoping. My settlement is close to a moderately large gusher, which should see me through LV if I'm lucky.

So definitely work on a second BBF once the first is up and running and always use coal coke as it yields 15 steel per hour to charcoal's 10. I'm a lazy bastard and usually only make 1 and just afk/chunkload but it's not a good idea.

Once you have the bending machine and wire mill I'd rush the assembler because it opens twilight forest for silver veins. With silver you can make high pressure solar boilers and solve power for all of LV tier without blowing 50 steel on a combustion generator. (Hp solars are ~5 eu/t after the 85% efficiency on lv steam turbines)

But yeah I'd wait on oil til the steel cost for the generator and the chemical reactors is negligible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I was today old when I found out what the conduit probe does in EIO. After years of using the mod.