Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Industrial Assyrian is an interesting conceit and I am excited for chorfs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Reading through the Chorf wiki and Chaos Siege Giants sound, well, terrifying. A shitton of Armour was one of the complaints about Giants, wasn't it?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
And much like the Chorfs, they were hated by everyone that knew them.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
*Correction:

No one hates the Chorfs, they just hate that they don't have Hats like the Chorfs.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

99pct of germs posted:

My only wish for the Chorfs is that their DLC is a 4 lord campaign pack like the Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast.

I'd prefer 2 if they actually had distinct mechanics like you get from the lord packs. I feel like so many potentially cool lords have been wasted when they have nothing unique going for them except a different start position, and even those are often very close to each other.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Vargs posted:

I'd prefer 2 if they actually had distinct mechanics like you get from the lord packs. I feel like so many potentially cool lords have been wasted when they have nothing unique going for them except a different start position, and even those are often very close to each other.

Chorfs are pretty much my favorite faction. I'd be ok with 2 lords if they got a heavy amount of mechanics. Have one of them be the main faction in the dark lands and then place the other one maybe at the South pole or in Lustria or whatever.

Edit: Maybe the Darklands Chorfs are the chorf chorfs and the other Chorf faction represents more of a Chaos-aligned Chorf faction that maybe gets access to some demons or whatever. That could make the Southern Chaos wastes start make sense.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 20, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

jokes posted:

Industrial Assyrian is an interesting conceit and I am excited for chorfs

I'm excited to see what GW and CA do with it, considering all the work they did on things like the Vampirates, Kislev, and Cathay. Chorfs had more source material than two of those (I mean Cathay basically didn't exist and the pirates had extremely little), and yet they did amazing poo poo with them.

I'm especially hopeful that we'll see Warhams ziggurats and poo poo like that. I want to see the Chorf cities, especially. If the buildings don't have their own giant hats, however, I will never forgive GW or CA much like Arghy never forgives Grimgrog for being an unkillable menace. :colbert:

Chorf siege towers should just be big hats. Chorf battering rams should be hats, but horizontal. Chorf magic is like Foot of Gork except it's the Hat of Hashut. Go all-in on the hat memes, dammit.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The warband system seems great. I think something similar should be implemented for all factions. It makes it possible to keep one of the units you started with in the campain and see it develop over time. In addition to normal recruitment being possible. And those terrible secondary armies I sometimes raise to just keep things together could actually develop into a force later worth keeping.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Hryme posted:

The warband system seems great. I think something similar should be implemented for all factions. It makes it possible to keep one of the units you started with in the campain and see it develop over time. In addition to normal recruitment being possible. And those terrible secondary armies I sometimes raise to just keep things together could actually develop into a force later worth keeping.

Yeah, I really like the idea that you can pretty easily recruit a second army full of marauders early game and just have them tag along and they will eventually be able to turn into a mostly-complete army on their own, with chaos warriors, knights, spawn, etc. Then you toss in a few choice demons and you've got a great force ready.

And even better, their nobody general that you selected will also eventually become a demon prince.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

with settlement trading and the changes to alliance mechanics, I wonder if it'll finally be possible to play a campaign of Wurrzag helps Grimgor take over the world
without it devolving into unbearable amounts of frustration

only one way to find out I guess

lol I'm wfh and need to get some actual poo poo done next week, maybe I should pull a monday-tuesday all-nighter and try to finish most of it,
I really don't fancy the awful exercise in self-control that awaits otherwise

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I would like to play Immortal Empires please

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I would like to play Immortal Empires please

:emptyquote:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Can't wait for this weekend to be over!

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I hate weekends. Tuesdays are always the best day of the week. I've always loved Tuesday more than any other day. Specifically Tuesday from 10:00 to 12:00, roughly.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I hope they release a collectors edition of the Chorf DLC that comes with a big hat.

Centigors are not-centaurs which are normal cav sized, arent they?

What confuses me about the cut-off thing is that there is a regular-Dwarf hold farther East than the Chorf lands that has survived. How did those guys not get cut off and dead, too?

I think there’s a fair amount of room for interpretation - the Chorfs could have been tricked/had their resentment stoked by Hashut.

Or they could just be whiners.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Who is the artist behind these because they're a delight

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I hope they release a collectors edition of the Chorf DLC that comes with a big hat.

I hope they release a collectors edition of the Chorf DLC that comes with a box big enough for a big hat, but where the size of the hat is random.

Maybe you get to be a really special Chorf.

Maybe you just get to be laughed at by everyone for your pitifully small hat.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Captain Oblivious posted:

Who is the artist behind these because they're a delight

woop woop deviantart alert

https://www.deviantart.com/a20t43c

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I love that there's always a Skaven in these, somewhere, just chilling dressed up as someone else and no one seems the wiser.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Chorf siege towers should just be big hats. Chorf battering rams should be hats, but horizontal. Chorf magic is like Foot of Gork except it's the Hat of Hashut. Go all-in on the hat memes, dammit.

I'd be happy if their siege towers looked like those Assyrian siege towers with the giant maul (sometimes depicted as a blade) that's supposed to like rake against a wall and pull it apart or something like that.

In a way that's kind of what the Chaos Siege Giant evokes in a sense, with their arms replaced by blades.

Cease to Hope posted:

One thing that has been forgotten is that Tamurkhan did have a chaos dwarf unit that's handguns/halberds. That seems like something CA would definitely be willing to do.

Oh, yeah, that's on their slayer equivalent right? Yeah, that's pretty much guaranteed to make it in. Still going to be a pretty elite unit most likely and probably won't be able to make them able to match the infantry firepower of normal dwarfs.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Toddy will absolutely be in the empire in his usual spot, and he will have an existential crisis with Beastmen/Norsca in contrast to Karly F's war with the vampire counts.

I certainly hope so. Middenland will be its own unique thing with lots of problems making it a really hectic playthrough even before any unique mechanics are considered. Also should be in the Empire because part of those mechanics should be a political and religious struggle against Karl Franz, Reikland and the Sigmarite church over control of the Empire.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 21, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Randarkman posted:

I'd be happy if their siege towers looked like those Assyrian siege towers with the giant maul (sometimes depicted as a blade) that's supposed to like rake against a wall and pull it apart or something like that.

In a way that's kind of what the Chaos Siege Giant evokes in a sense, with their arms replaced by blades.

Yes, with the addition that WE PUT A BIG HAT ON IT. :allears:

Basically my need to play IE has driven me completely insane and I just want chorf hats on everything from now on.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Chemtrailologist posted:

And much like the Chorfs, they were hated by everyone that knew them.

Ashurbanipal posted:

I am Ashurbanipal, the great king, the mighty king, king of the universe, king of Assyria, king of the four regions of the world; offspring of the loins of Esarhaddon, king of the universe, king of Assyria, viceroy of Babylon, king of Sumer and Akkad; grandson of Sennacherib, king of the universe, king of Assyria.

Ashurnasirpal II posted:

In strife and conflict I besieged [and] conquered the city. I felled 3,000 of their fighting men with the sword … I captured many troops alive: I cut off of some their arms [and]
hands; I cut off of others their noses, ears, [and] extremities. I gouged out the eyes of many troops. I made one pile of the living [and] one of heads. I hung their heads on trees around the city.

Sennacherib posted:

I cut their throats like lambs. I cut off their precious lives (as one cuts) a string. Like the many waters of a storm, I made (the contents of) their gullets and entrails run down upon
the wide earth. My prancing steeds harnessed for my riding, plunged into the streams of their blood as (into) a river. The wheels of my war chariot, which brings low the wicked and the evil, were bespattered with blood and filth. With the bodies of their warriors I filled the plain, like grass. (Their) testicles I cut off, and tore out their privates like the seeds of cucumbers.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 21, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Excuse me, I'll have you know that's all taken out of context.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
hobgoblins are scabs, btw

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
"well at least we aren't notorious for skinning people alive" - Bharzhakh Brasshat

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the most important thing is: is every descriptor of chaos dwarf tech riddled with the words "cog", "gear", or "steam"?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Ashurbinapal? I'm pretty sure that's in Morrowind.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dramicus posted:

Excuse me, I'll have you know that's all taken out of context.

What's kind of interesting in terms of context is that these inscriptions and reliefs are from royal palaces and such, throne rooms and reception halls. Which means that if you were travelling to see the Assyrian king or some other high official you would be waiting in and then received in an environment where all around you on the walls and on the columns there was just scene after scene of cities being taken and terrible slaughter and torture of the vanquished and the king trampling terrified people fleeing under his chariot, just repeated over and over, and there's more elaboration if you can read the inscriptions as well of course, but the images should probably be enough.

In the Bible during the Assyrian siege of Jerusalem the Assyrians specifically have a negotiator who adresses the defenders in Hebrew, not really delivering terms, but doing the Lord Humungus thing of "just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. Just walk away." taken together with those reliefs and the inscriptions it really comes together what this is, it's psychological warfare. A deliberately cultivated and disseminated image of terror.

e: I am noticing that the picture of the impaling I used might not be assyrians, based on their style and the equipment of the soldiers.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 21, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its not an uncommon tactic in history, either. its often combined with a "if you surrender instantly, we won't hurt a hair on your head or make you do anything but pay us some taxes" tactic, a carrot and stick bit. The Mongols, the Romans, and the progenitor of the Han Dynasty could get people to quit without any fight at all.

Doesn't really come up in Warhammer, where surrender to any bad guy just means they get to torture you more. The only faction I've seen be noted to show pragmatic mercy to induce surrender is, of all things, the skaven of Clan Mors, but that might just extend only to other skaven.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

its not an uncommon tactic in history, either. its often combined with a "if you surrender instantly, we won't hurt a hair on your head or make you do anything but pay us some taxes" tactic, a carrot and stick bit. The Mongols, the Romans, and the progenitor of the Han Dynasty could get people to quit without any fight at all.

I'd still say the Assyrians are a bit unique in that in just how much this theme is depicted in their official art and proclamations though. It's really unrelenting and probably was incredibly effective and terrifying, not least combined with them fielding essentially the first professional war machine in history, one that was incredibly effective both at being victorious in the field (and not not just winning but destroying their defeated enemies with the use of cavalry and chariots, earlier they had war carts of uncertain application, after they broke) and taking cities by storm. if they could reach you, you couldn't hide from them behind walls and meeting them in the field was an incredibly uncertain proposition.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ashurbinapal? I'm pretty sure that's in Morrowind.

The Dwemer were also originally heavily inspired by the Assyrians, hence the crazy names of all their ruins on Vvardenfell. Sadly, Bethesda has muted a lot of that, so that they're now more generically "dwarven" than they are super cool steampunk Assyrian elves.

Meanwhile, it is not Tuesday tomorrow and that is some BULLSHIT. This is the longest weekend ever.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Doesn't really come up in Warhammer, where surrender to any bad guy just means they get to torture you more. The only faction I've seen be noted to show pragmatic mercy to induce surrender is, of all things, the skaven of Clan Mors, but that might just extend only to other skaven.

The order factions will typically offer mercy to each other in this way, at least. Surrendering to an orc/skaven/dark elf/norscan/chaos/etc raid because they're scary is absolutely just going to accelerate the process of you getting enslaved/murdered/eaten, though, yeah.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Even between other order factions, the Dwarfs are insanely hard assed about showing any kind of leniency if its a grudging matter. There was a bit between Thorgrim and ol king louie where lou wanted to pardon some surrendered outlaws since they'd been forced into their lot by circumstance, but thorgirm just went full "rules are rules umgi" and murdered them all.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Kanos posted:

The order factions will typically offer mercy to each other in this way, at least. Surrendering to an orc/skaven/dark elf/norscan/chaos/etc raid because they're scary is absolutely just going to accelerate the process of you getting enslaved/murdered/eaten, though, yeah.

Eh, I feel like you have a chance with the Norscans. Not a good chance, but they might be satisfied with just some light plundering and pillaging instead of total annihilation. That's assuming it's not a Chaos Invasion proper, because in that case all bets are off and death is probably the best to hope for. The Orcs literally wouldn't understand the offer of surrender, but I'm not actually sure how much they'd go out of their way to kill unresisting civilians (they'd definitely loot everything they found useful and burn the rest though). Skaven and Dark Elves though... yeah, you'd much rather be dead then accept anything they'd offer in a "surrender". The Skaven would see prisoners of war as livestock to eat, and the Dark Elves would shift into blood orgy mode.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Actually, caravans and stuff buy orcs off all the time, because the tribute is seen as them recognizing the orcs are the strongest and could've kicked their asses.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I've noticed watching streamers that none of them ever seen to move in march stance. I use it all the time, and on the rare occasions I get caught, it doesn't seem to make too much difference in battle. Is it a bad idea to be doing that?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
I'm experiencing intense decision paralysis on this first Immortal Empires campaign. Despite so many hundreds of hours in this series, I've never done a Vampire Coast or Brettonia run of any kind, nor Slaanesh, Be'lakor, or the Daemon Prince. Warriors of Chaos is essentially a whole new faction now, and Sigvald gets some Slaanesh mechanics and has a hilarious startpos, so he's very tempting. But Lokhir Felheart marauding across Cathay and exploiting the new sea lanes mechanic to pick fights wherever he wants is kind of Peak Immortal Empires, and I've somehow never played him either! This might come down to rolling a die.

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I've noticed watching streamers that none of them ever seen to move in march stance. I use it all the time, and on the rare occasions I get caught, it doesn't seem to make too much difference in battle. Is it a bad idea to be doing that?

It's exceedingly dangerous if there's any chance of running into a fight, because an army in march stance can't retreat: if it loses a battle, it will be utterly destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Actually, caravans and stuff buy orcs off all the time, because the tribute is seen as them recognizing the orcs are the strongest and could've kicked their asses.

I tend to imagine that sort of arrangement goes on a lot between the lower strata since who doesn't like getting something for nothing? Probably a lot of opportunities for smuggling as well.

Expect for the Daemons/Warriors of Chaos and Beastmen who are generally all monopersonality religious fanatics and sticks in the mud about these sorts of things. A lot of beings in warhams will gleefully pull of the scorpion and the frog routine if you try to deal with them, but they're the scorpions that will build a raft to swim out to the frog while still insisting its a parable.