Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

An Actual Princess posted:

astalon is super underrated. great game

Instant classic, nobody talks about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

astalon is super underrated. great game

if it's so good why have i never heard of it checkmate

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

B33rChiller posted:

How do the bloodstained games hold up?
I have one on the 3ds, but haven't played much of it. I did enjoy one of the gba castlevanias, but I can't remember the name. CV3 was pretty great way back when.

Get Death's Gambit instead.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Your Computer posted:

if it's so good why have i never heard of it checkmate

it's a hidden gem. go looking for gems sometime

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Not enough love for the Guacamelee games in here. The Messenger is also fantastic

First time I read someone actually like The Messenger's bad metroidvania half.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Waffle! posted:

A Short Hike is getting a (Super Rare) physical release!

Yes! YES

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

lunar detritus posted:

First time I read someone actually like The Messenger's bad metroidvania half.

It's not bad

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Guacamelee and Ori 1 are linear games pretending to be Metroidvanias. Haven't played Ori 2.

The Messenger is nothing like a Metroidvania, it's a mostly linear map you go through twice to find some branching paths and maybe some optional secret areas. I've enjoyed it the whole way through, even if it makes me repeat sections a little too often.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
blasphemous is better than all of these non hk non metroid non castlevania picks.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a big advocate of A Robot Named Fight, but I wouldn't call it a "best" metroidvania. It's the metroidvania you go to when you've exhausted other options cause it's a rogue-like. It's very addictive, but if you like filling up a map and traveling around with upgrades to unlock bigger bits, it does that infinitely (as in every new attempt). It also has a shocking amount of content for getting it for 2 bucks on sale. But it's not like a wonderful metroidvania, just a really great gimmick game for those who just love the genre.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
1. Phoe
2. No
3. To
4. Pi
5. A: Awakening

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Ender Lillies is a good one but the map kinda sucks

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I enjoyed salt and sanctuary. Getting a sequel soon too i believe

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm a big advocate of A Robot Named Fight, but I wouldn't call it a "best" metroidvania. It's the metroidvania you go to when you've exhausted other options cause it's a rogue-like. It's very addictive, but if you like filling up a map and traveling around with upgrades to unlock bigger bits, it does that infinitely (as in every new attempt). It also has a shocking amount of content for getting it for 2 bucks on sale. But it's not like a wonderful metroidvania, just a really great gimmick game for those who just love the genre.

I feel the same way about it. It's handy that the minimap shows when there's a hidden item in the room, but it gets tiring shooting at every last pixel sometimes just to find it. Good game for the sale price.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

they should port the ds castlevanias to the Switch. Please.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Waffle! posted:

I feel the same way about it. It's handy that the minimap shows when there's a hidden item in the room, but it gets tiring shooting at every last pixel sometimes just to find it. Good game for the sale price.

You play it enough like I did, you learn how it programs hiding places...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fuligin posted:

I enjoyed salt and sanctuary. Getting a sequel soon too i believe

the second one came out and wasn't very good from what I've heard

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 20, 2022

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Cheers for that. I wish I knew a little more about what every step did but yeah, modding the 3DS was a piece of cake.

I started loving around with some old games too and genuinely forgot how good the 3D was.

It was probably something Nintendo played about with, but I kinda miss the design of the 3DS vs the switch and wish there was a new version of it.

I dunno if more modern tech could maybe help bridge the two consoles?

Like, return to the clamshells approximate size, but with larger screens and slightly more ergonomic controls and with the ability to dock the thing.

The switch is good and all, but it's just a bit on the slightly big size to really feel portable.

If it can keep the crazy battery life too that would be awesome. Seriously, how did the 3DS keep going for so long?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, there still hasn’t been any further news on Dig (the sequel they announced a while back) as of late has there?

They're working on Mina the Hollower now. Dig was a third party thing.

Spellman posted:

Instant classic, nobody talks about it

It is easily one of my favorite metroidvanias and it's so hard to convince people to give it a shot because at first blush it does look like cheap shovelware.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Waffle! posted:

A Short Hike is getting a (Super Rare) physical release! It will probably take you longer to read through all the bonus material included in the Collector's Edition than to actually beat the game, but it's still a great game to experience.

Play A Short Hike.

I like that they're selling some of the stuff individually...I think I will get this.
https://superraregames.com/products/srg-74-a-short-hike-guidebook-bundle

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Not enough love for the Guacamelee games in here.

The soundtracks are excellent.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They're working on Mina the Hollower now. Dig was a third party thing.

It is easily one of my favorite metroidvanias and it's so hard to convince people to give it a shot because at first blush it does look like cheap shovelware.

Is Dig still happening regardless though? I haven’t heard much regarding it since the initial announcement a while back

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Is Dig still happening regardless though? I haven’t heard much regarding it since the initial announcement a while back

As far as we know. The last update they gave on it was in February of this year which was just basically "game is on track."

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Has there been any consistency to the Nintendo Online+ games or do we just know when they put it on the website

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

ExtraQuiet posted:

i asked this question a while back in preparation for dread, and here's what i have written down from the thread:
shovel knight
hollow knight
ender lillies
shantae
7 sirens
bad north
creature in the well
blaster master
gato roboto
a robot named fight

haven't played em, but these were the threads suggestions at the time.

Add blasphemous

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom owns and should be on those lists

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

WarpDogs posted:

fond memories of my friend in 5th grade arguing, almost to the point of tears, that it was pronounced Waver Ace and people who rode jet skis competitively were called wavers

That rules and I hope he’s living a happy life.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

biceps crimes posted:

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom owns and should be on those lists

Yes! And also the dragons trap remake.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tampa Bae posted:

Has there been any consistency to the Nintendo Online+ games or do we just know when they put it on the website

It seems to be monthly for the N64 games, and now and then for everything else.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It seems to be monthly for the N64 games, and now and then for everything else.

Have they started adding any Gamecube titles to the library yet out of curiosity?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Larryb posted:

Have they started adding any Gamecube titles to the library yet out of curiosity?
No, why would they do that when they can bump the graphics up just a little and sell it again as a full-priced game?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I wonder how they’d get the touch controls to work.

I remember there being sections where you had to make your own platforming path by destroying blocks of ice with the stylus.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Switch has a touch screen

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A worse one than on the DS for gaming imo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Many DS games have ROM patches to remove the touch controls.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

OhFunny posted:

I wonder how they’d get the touch controls to work.

I remember there being sections where you had to make your own platforming path by destroying blocks of ice with the stylus.

Patches let you break the blocks with weapons (and auto-fill the stupid boss runes) so it's more than doable.

I'm more worried they won't come out because it'd take actual effort to make those ports work, even though fitting gameplay on one screen and removing touch screen stuff shouldn't be too difficult.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Portrait of Ruin will be such a pain in the rear end to port if they want to keep the Twins that only use the stylus to attack.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They could probably just bind the motions and aiming to the right stick. It wouldn't be a perfect solution. but it would be something that technically works enough to sell it. And something that just barely works feels like a modern Konami move.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Tampa Bae posted:

No, why would they do that when they can bump the graphics up just a little and sell it again as a full-priced game?

There are a handful of Gamecube games that I would unironically buy if they did this. F-Zero GX in particular is begging for a re-release.

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
Picked up Wolfenstein II on the eShop because it was only USD7.99 and Doom Eternal played well enough on the Switch. But Jesus Christ, did Panic Button drop the ball on this port or what. It’s such a blurry mess that you can barely aim with any accuracy from afar (and its gyro aiming felt less fine-tuned than Eternal too). I thought fine, maybe it'd look better in handheld mode (the primary way I was going to play it anyway) but lo and behold, it's even worse on the tiny screen. It might just be the blurriest game I ever played in handheld mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

There are a handful of Gamecube games that I would unironically buy if they did this. F-Zero GX in particular is begging for a re-release.

I just went looking at a Top 100 GC games and the majority of them have either been rereleased already or their successor has come out and has done everything it did but way loving better. There's stuff like Paper Mario 1k Door, the Metroid Primes and the Zeldas that are the only things I can really imagine anyone causing a ruckus to play especially cause if you really want to, I'm pretty sure most of those games and the GC itself are cheap on ebay/amazon and work on modern tvs no problem. The GC is still also kinda new enough that there's not that huge nostalgia factor for it yet. Maybe when the Switch Pro+ comes out.