Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Couldn't you just...use the billion dollars to pay taxes???

not this year, we finished building it last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
If this fucks with White Lotus, I will murder.

Give me Season 2!!!

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Don't forget that AT&T bought Time Warner in a drunken bender and had buyer's remorse within year after their plan of gutting everything but HBO (which merely got slashed to starvation) didn't result in killing Netflix, which is what they actually wanted.

So there was already not much left in terms of prestige assets for Discovery to buy. RIP the Warner Archives, which maybe has a rent-a-cop working the gate, but is otherwise going to go up like the Universal warehouse and take 100 years of movie history with it.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Sci fi authors spent decades warning us about things like grey goo or robot overlords or skynet, entities that acted entirely "logically" to produce absurd and devastating results. Turns out every corporation is a paperclip maximiser. Number Go Up-!!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Josef bugman posted:

I think a lot of the cool stuff produced by animation people is just gone for instance. At least that is what I saw people complain about online.

Unfortunately they dropped a ton of Animation stuff including the amazing show Infinity Train, and other decent hits like Final Space, Mao Mao, OK KO, and Close Enough.

They also bought Sesame Street and dropped 200 episodes from the service.

HBO Max also has ALL of the DC animated library, which includes classics like Batman TAS and Justice League, which are untouched so far, but there's no telling when they might start dropping less well received, but still good shows shows. And they also own all of the Cartoon Network and Adult Swim library.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

xarph posted:

Don't forget that AT&T bought Time Warner in a drunken bender and had buyer's remorse within year after their plan of gutting everything but HBO (which merely got slashed to starvation) didn't result in killing Netflix, which is what they actually wanted.

So there was already not much left in terms of prestige assets for Discovery to buy. RIP the Warner Archives, which maybe has a rent-a-cop working the gate, but is otherwise going to go up like the Universal warehouse and take 100 years of movie history with it.

Lol I worked at the place which had a good portion of the Warner archives and rent-a-cop is extremely loving generous

It relied on security through obscurity for most of its “protection” but it was also in the middle of a tourist trap that was advertised on billboards for a good 100 miles on the interstates in all directions.

The underpaid teens who worked the tour went right past it and told everyone that the WB archives were there for a decade until the one an employee who actually looked after it threatened the ceo to get them to stop mentioning all the rare priceless prints that were kept from them by a garage door.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Aug 21, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

teen witch posted:

Cancelling shows and movie for a tax write off is something I wish I could erase from my mind. Hoping that entertainment-related unions go for blood fighting this.

Like do other industries do this One Cool Trick? Can you like have a mall built and everything ready to go, and two days before grand opening you go “hm nah tax write off” and just close it all down?

This is why Megas XLR will never come back, because everyone involved will go to tax jail if it does

:(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

xarph posted:

I'll never forgive them for killing the adult swim streams. It made them money and cost them little and provided 1-5 hours a weekday of light entertainment for irony-poisoned people such as myself and there is nothing else quite like it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tree Bucket posted:

Sci fi authors spent decades warning us about things like grey goo or robot overlords or skynet, entities that acted entirely "logically" to produce absurd and devastating results. Turns out every corporation is a paperclip maximiser. Number Go Up-!!

Executives are crack addicts tearing copper out of the walls for more crack. That's the mindset.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

the holy poopacy posted:

Couldn't you just...use the billion dollars to pay taxes??? Or, if you were really crazy, create assets (such as movies) that can generate revenue (via ticket sales and streaming fees) that you could pay your tax liabilities with?

Like is there actually any loophole where you can turn $$ into $$$$$ worth of tax writeoffs, or is it just a way for corporations to be supremely petty?

It seems very unlikely, but IDK.

I seriously doubt anybody in this thread knows anything about corporate tax laws. Everyone in this thread is Kramer from the below clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEL65gywwHQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1564948724366954496?s=21&t=hoMks7T1u5JRJIh8VODkpA

The large store near my house actually closed about 3 months ago

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The only good part of Bed, Bath & Beyond was marveling at all of the "As seen on TV" poo poo they had but never buying any of it

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

vyst posted:

The only good part of Bed, Bath & Beyond was marveling at all of the "As seen on TV" poo poo they had but never buying any of it

The return policy pre-2018 was good. As long as you had a receipt, they’d take most stuff back regardless of how old it was. I swapped out so many pairs of Dr. Scholls inserts when I worked there and all sorts of other stuff.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A Youtube channel that I follow, Retail Archaeology, had a recent video where he said that BB&B wasn't doing too well. I didn't realize that they were this much in trouble.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

The BB&B in my town went under and turned into a Aldi, which is a much nicer upgrade and a business I actually enjoy shopping at.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A Youtube channel that I follow, Retail Archaeology, had a recent video where he said that BB&B wasn't doing too well. I didn't realize that they were this much in trouble.

They’ve been semi-quietly closing stores, downsizing some existing ones, and heavily cutting staffing since 2017. They also did a lot of actions to try and boost sales at the expense of their customer base, like changing the return policy and actually enforcing the expiration dates on coupons. I worked there until 2019, and when I left I said I doubted they’d still be in business in 10 years. I’d been at Toys R Us when they were going down hill, and BB&B is basically following the same playbook (Which other failing retailers have done as well), the issues were really obvious to everyone working there. Now, I’m wondering if it’ll be a lot sooner than that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

fartknocker posted:

They’ve been semi-quietly closing stores, downsizing some existing ones, and heavily cutting staffing since 2017. They also did a lot of actions to try and boost sales at the expense of their customer base, like changing the return policy and actually enforcing the expiration dates on coupons. I worked there until 2019, and when I left I said I doubted they’d still be in business in 10 years. I’d been at Toys R Us when they were going down hill, and BB&B is basically following the same playbook (Which other failing retailers have done as well), the issues were really obvious to everyone working there. Now, I’m wondering if it’ll be a lot sooner than that.

That tracks with Retail Archaeology's point: lots of 'As Seen On TV' stuff and trying to cover up empty shelves. Charlottesville still has a BB&B...for now. I never shop there so I have no idea how they're holding up but I'd imagine that the yuppies in town probably like it.

Kohl's, too, seems not to be doing too well, which was also a surprise for me.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

I looked up a local Kohl's a few weeks ago because I was going to return something from Amazon there. The Kohl's webpage had some pathetic language like "while you're returning your crap, why not check out some socks or something at Kohl's?" It just reeked of desperation.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Me too, but after some googling it seems like they’ve been in dire straights since the pandemic landed.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/kohl-could-see-potential-store-183605656.html

30 store leases expiring in the next 2 years (not a big percentage, to be fair), plans to downsize their store footprints, launching “Sephora at Kohl’s”, etc. if any of those stores are on the underperforming list, I’d expect to see an axe swinging that way pretty soon.

quote:

“Kohl’s is aware that it has more selling space than it needs and plans to open smaller stores,” said David Swartz, equity analyst for Morningstar Research Services LLC.

Someone outside the company recognizes the problem, we’ll see if they become fodder for this thread though. At least it sounds like they aren’t being bought out anymore?

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money/2022/07/01/kohls-no-longer-talks-sell-company-but-pressure-remains/7785915001/

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Maybe stores will downsize and merge so much that we'll have just a bunch of big stores, with certain sections that we'll call "departments". These newly created "department stores" will be one stop shops for all sorts of retail needs. But I'm just making crazy poo poo up.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Equity analyst at Morningstar Research.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

AvesPKS posted:

I looked up a local Kohl's a few weeks ago because I was going to return something from Amazon there. The Kohl's webpage had some pathetic language like "while you're returning your crap, why not check out some socks or something at Kohl's?" It just reeked of desperation.

That is literally the point of the Amazon returns thing, to get people in the door.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I, like a ton of other people, have been deluged for years with Kohls ads, coupons, etc., but never gone in the store until I had to return a defective Amazon purchase. I was really surprised that the store was so mediocre and boring, the men’s side anyway. Every display looked like it had the same thing in it, like the ghetto stores in GTA:SA.

I’ve never considered myself a fashionable guy, and now I’m old, so if *I* found it unappealing and monotonous, it doesn’t bode well for younger people who tend to spend more on clothes and such.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Kohls also suffers from not being a high quality name, but being more expensive then places like Wal-mart

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Kohl’s clothing is ridiculously marked up for the quality and taste. Sometimes there’s something kinda worth getting? But like the last time I bought something there were a pair of witch themed socks.

I never got the popularity because it’s just some particularly bland clothing.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

They used to have some good options for work wear back when I worked in an office.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

teen witch posted:

Kohl’s clothing is ridiculously marked up for the quality and taste. Sometimes there’s something kinda worth getting? But like the last time I bought something there were a pair of witch themed socks.

I guess the world is full of particularly bland people?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Kohl's is my mom's favorite store, this is because sales are catnip to her. It doesn't matter that nothing at Khol's is actually on sale, just that those little displays say that everything is.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

They used to have some good options for work wear back when I worked in an office.

Yeah, if you just need some bland clothing at whatever prices that you can try on before buying you can do worse. I say this not having shopped at a Kohls in many years, though.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Basticle posted:

That is literally the point of the Amazon returns thing, to get people in the door.

Yes. And the language they are using to implement that seems sad and pathetic, to me. Like it's probably not going to work.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

JnnyThndrs posted:

I, like a ton of other people, have been deluged for years with Kohls ads, coupons, etc., but never gone in the store until I had to return a defective Amazon purchase. I was really surprised that the store was so mediocre and boring, the men’s side anyway. Every display looked like it had the same thing in it, like the ghetto stores in GTA:SA.

I’ve never considered myself a fashionable guy, and now I’m old, so if *I* found it unappealing and monotonous, it doesn’t bode well for younger people who tend to spend more on clothes and such.
My Kohl's experience is that it was fine when getting clothes as a kid, was a bit sad but tolerable for teen clothes, and had jack poo poo for me other than basics like socks once I was an adult.

I never really came back and looked at the men's department since I realized I was trans well after I stopped shopping at Kohl's(and Target/etc are fine and cheaper if you just want a basic buttonup or whatever), but the women's department had like a small handful of things that might be okay officewear, and then a sea of frumpy stuff I couldn't imagine anyone below age 60 wearing.

teen witch posted:

Iron Crowned posted:

Kohl's is my mom's favorite store, this is because sales are catnip to her. It doesn't matter that nothing at Khol's is actually on sale, just that those little displays say that everything is.
It's this. My mom shopped there a lot for the same reason. Gap/etc are overpriced, but everything at Kohl's is always on sale!!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I worked at Kohl's for a while in college and it is indeed a very depressing place

I wish I had some inside dirt to share, but nothing interesting ever happened

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Haifisch posted:

I never really came back and looked at the men's department since I realized I was trans well after I stopped shopping at Kohl's(and Target/etc are fine and cheaper if you just want a basic buttonup or whatever), but the women's department had like a small handful of things that might be okay officewear, and then a sea of frumpy stuff I couldn't imagine anyone below age 60 wearing.

I don't know exactly what the analogous situation for men's clothing is but I have no trouble believing Kohl's does.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got a really nice to me shirt once at Kohl's like 13 years ago. I would return in hopes of finding another one periodically, but alas it was a unicorn. Sadly the washing machine tore a gigantic hole in that shirt somehow, it was a very sad day.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Since spooky season is coming up, all these dying chains are perfect for a Spirit Halloween store! The one closest to me always opens in the same location that use to be a Staples. I worked there last year, and helped set up other locations in abandoned buildings.

The ghost of past companies forever lingers in those locations.

Space Robot has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Sep 1, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spirit had been setting up in this shopping center by my house in a former Books-A-Million, but since last Halloween the other two large stores in the shopping center closed (Staples and Bed, Bath and Beyond) so now they get their pick

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

This is more companies that have circled the drain , but

Brands can never die.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Idgi sorry 😕

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Professor Shark posted:

Idgi sorry 😕

Better known as the A&P chain of grocery stores

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A%26P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

Haifisch posted:

had jack poo poo for me other than basics like socks

teen witch posted:

kohl’s... but like the last time i bought something there were a pair of witch themed socks.

Huh. Yeah, their pitch literally was like "Why don't you buy some socks from us while you're returning your Amazon crap?" I guess they know their market.

AvesPKS has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Sep 2, 2022