Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Throwing in some two cents into Chaos Dwarf chat, I'd put money on them looking a little different to what people are expecting. GW discontinued the Forge World sculpts about a year or so ago and is likely redesigning them for The Old World vapourware tabletop game from the ground up. Not to mention the massive massive hints they've been dropping recently that Chorfs are about to get reintroduced into Age of Sigmar (Hobgoblins returning to the setting covered in distinctly Chorf looking armour pieces and grenades, the Chorf cosplaying Horns of Hashut cultist dudes they just released).

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I've noticed watching streamers that none of them ever seen to move in march stance. I use it all the time, and on the rare occasions I get caught, it doesn't seem to make too much difference in battle. Is it a bad idea to be doing that?

Very. Armies that get engaged in march status can't retreat from a battle, are utterly destroyed if they lose regardless of casualties, suffer massive auto-resolve penalties and start Exhausted if you manual fight it out.

You should only really march across your own territory if you need to get into position ASAP, but even then it pays to double and triple check the route for any possible ambushers, rogue armies or hordes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SteelMentor posted:

Throwing in some two cents into Chaos Dwarf chat, I'd put money on them looking a little different to what people are expecting. GW discontinued the Forge World sculpts about a year or so ago and is likely redesigning them for The Old World vapourware tabletop game from the ground up. Not to mention the massive massive hints they've been dropping recently that Chorfs are about to get reintroduced into Age of Sigmar (Hobgoblins returning to the setting covered in distinctly Chorf looking armour pieces and grenades, the Chorf cosplaying Horns of Hashut cultist dudes they just released).

on the other hand they've had oldhammer-style chaos marauders who are dwarfs in warcry, and they never did anything new with zoats after reintroducing one. sometimes a one-off is just a one-off

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Plus, there are already Chaos Dwarfs in the game, they've been in since the first release of the first game. We've already got a pretty good hint of what they are probably going to look like. IIRC that's basically looking alot like the Forgeworld designs who aren't the slayer equivalent.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I wouldn't feel too shackled to 6 year old models as a developer, especially as a bolted on easter egg detail for a bolted together half faction. :v:

2-3 days until WoC are real boys!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Arghy has inspired me to play dwarves first off

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

That motherfucker in the back understands FASHION. :frogc00l:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Arghy has inspired me to play dwarves first off

But... but Grimgrog...

On the "who the gently caress is my first campaign" mine is still gonna be Be'lakor. WoC mechanics, raid boss for a LL, fun start position, AND the shadow rift deal? Yep. Yep.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 21, 2022

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Doomykins posted:

I wouldn't feel too shackled to 6 year old models as a developer, especially as a bolted on easter egg detail for a bolted together half faction. :v:

True and those are specifically a weapon crew. I still don't expect them to just completely abandon and redo the existing design characteristics of the Chaos Dwarfs. They probably will look alot like that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gonkish posted:

That motherfucker in the back understands FASHION. :frogc00l:

But... but Grimgrog...

I like a challenge!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Randarkman posted:

True and those are specifically a weapon crew. I still don't expect them to just completely abandon and redo the existing design characteristics of the Chaos Dwarfs. They probably will look alot like that.

i would be shocked if they did not have braided black beards and the occasional horns and/or tusks. beyond that they just seem to be dwarfs.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Try to temper those expectations and don't count down the seconds until the (beta) of IE opens, remember there will likely be some major issues to fix in a later patch.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It will almost certainly be a mess, and we know that the campaign at the moment is really too easy, very likely because the AI seems to be behaving way too passively, possibly bugging out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I agree but I think some things are unavoidable. Though maybe CA has had an idea for Toddy for a long time that would let them do something cool with him.

went looking for kazrak one eye and got extremely lost and ended up in cathay

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Try to temper those expectations and don't count down the seconds until the (beta) of IE opens, remember there will likely be some major issues to fix in a later patch.

I know, but at the same time why isn't it Tuesday. I'm willing to deal with the bugs. I just wanna smash the mans into the other mans from the other games. :smith:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I find it very easy to overlook balance issues and all but the most crippling bugs in big sandbox strategy games. Like yeah it’s not ideal but I’m not there for a huge challenge anyway, I just want to create some cool armies and see how the world develops.

The two IE campaigns I’ve been following via YouTube both look very fun. Just chaos (and Chaos) all over the damned place, and like 3/4ths of the word not even yet involved. It’s amazing.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Gonkish posted:

On the "who the gently caress is my first campaign" mine is still gonna be Be'lakor. WoC mechanics, raid boss for a LL, fun start position, AND the shadow rift deal? Yep. Yep.

Oh man, this post made me look more into Be'lakor and he looks like fun. Something I'm not quite clear on though is how much of his roster is gated behind the DLC - is there a breakdown of that somewhere?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kestral posted:

Oh man, this post made me look more into Be'lakor and he looks like fun. Something I'm not quite clear on though is how much of his roster is gated behind the DLC - is there a breakdown of that somewhere?

Should be the exact same as the other WoC: you get access to the FLC units (Nurgle Great Axe warriors, Slaanesh hellscourge warriors, Tzeentch Halberd warriors, and I think Khorne Chosen Dual Weapons? I forget what Khorne's FLC unit is). The demons that he can get are already in base WH3 (since the monogods/demons haven't gotten any additions, because I guess there's not really a ton of demons left to add).

The gated stuff is everything else that's new with the DLC: all five warshrine variants, the various other versions of marked Warriors/Chosen, etc. Even without the DLC, WoC should have one of the larger rosters in the game, but with it I think they absolutely do, and specifically the Undivided lords like Be'lakor, Archie, and Kholek.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Kestral posted:

He gets access to the entire Chaos roster from all gods & mortals. So while some stuff like the warshrines and god-specific exalted heroes might be gated, you will have more than enough tools to get the job done.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I think you need to have beat the base Warhammer 3 campaign in order to play Belakor though.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Even between other order factions, the Dwarfs are insanely hard assed about showing any kind of leniency if its a grudging matter. There was a bit between Thorgrim and ol king louie where lou wanted to pardon some surrendered outlaws since they'd been forced into their lot by circumstance, but thorgirm just went full "rules are rules umgi" and murdered them all.

He then said the elves were responsible for making the blood of men weak.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Doomykins posted:

2-3 days until WoC are real boys!
Lean way too far into it and make the entire Chorfs faction unbreakable but with garbage unit sizes.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

We've seen hundreds of hours of streamed IE content, and while there are plenty of bugs and design issues to fix, it's remarkably stable for being a 'beta'. The risk is if they try to day one patch all of the issues these streams have surfaced and end up royally breaking something, but I don't think they would risk it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Francis posted:

We've seen hundreds of hours of streamed IE content, and while there are plenty of bugs and design issues to fix, it's remarkably stable for being a 'beta'. The risk is if they try to day one patch all of the issues these streams have surfaced and end up royally breaking something, but I don't think they would risk it.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am. I'm hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and want it to be Tuesday right now.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
In case anyone missed it, someone made a sort of maneater hero for Ogres that has different careers which will change the appearance/stats/skills

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2840691327

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I hope they release a collectors edition of the Chorf DLC that comes with a big hat.

Centigors are not-centaurs which are normal cav sized, arent they?

What confuses me about the cut-off thing is that there is a regular-Dwarf hold farther East than the Chorf lands that has survived. How did those guys not get cut off and dead, too?

Karak Azorn got eaten by ogres in the lore. It's a perfect opportunity to have dwarfs that far east so I can see why CA ignored that little tidbit of ogre lore.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Kestral posted:

I'm experiencing intense decision paralysis on this first Immortal Empires campaign. Despite so many hundreds of hours in this series, I've never done a Vampire Coast or Brettonia run of any kind, nor Slaanesh, Be'lakor, or the Daemon Prince. Warriors of Chaos is essentially a whole new faction now, and Sigvald gets some Slaanesh mechanics and has a hilarious startpos, so he's very tempting. But Lokhir Felheart marauding across Cathay and exploiting the new sea lanes mechanic to pick fights wherever he wants is kind of Peak Immortal Empires, and I've somehow never played him either! This might come down to rolling a die.

If you want a chill time, try Count Noctilus. You've got a very safe island in a central location, and you can basically go in any direction and pick whatever fights suit you.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Even between other order factions, the Dwarfs are insanely hard assed about showing any kind of leniency if its a grudging matter. There was a bit between Thorgrim and ol king louie where lou wanted to pardon some surrendered outlaws since they'd been forced into their lot by circumstance, but thorgirm just went full "rules are rules umgi" and murdered them all.

One of my favourite bits of lore is two dwarf clans who had a grudge against each other and spent generations engaged in warfare killing each other off. After several hundred years the original grudge has been forgotten on each side, but the two sides had kept on killing each other until a goblin invasion caused the leaders on both sides to realise there was no reason to be fighting anymore and join forces to kill the goblins.

The dwarves god Grimnir didn’t like this because you don’t stop grudging, no matter what, and squashed both dwarven armies with a giant statue of himself.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

One of my favourite bits of lore is two dwarf clans who had a grudge against each other and spent generations engaged in warfare killing each other off. After several hundred years the original grudge has been forgotten on each side, but the two sides had kept on killing each other until a goblin invasion caused the leaders on both sides to realise there was no reason to be fighting anymore and join forces to kill the goblins.

The dwarves god Grimnir didn’t like this because you don’t stop grudging, no matter what, and squashed both dwarven armies with a giant statue of himself.

This is why we have a Book!

Anno
May 10, 2017

The legendary characters mod team have a drop lined up for Tuesday to help get your Chaos campaign off to a slammin’ start.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

gently caress yeah this game is finally about to get good

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Oh my, is that Mixu's Legendary Lords or another similar mod? I'm kind of looking through Warhammer 3 mods at the moment, there's actual some neat stuff around, including two very well done factions in the Rotblood Tribe and the Hung, then you have the Sea Dragon mod that adds a LL and some Nippon units (samurai and pirates) for Cathay alongside some other things, and the literally just Lu Bu legendary hero mod.

I also found this

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Pretty sure it's these folks, not Mixu

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2826930183

I had fun with it, but the Nurgle dude soloed my entire army once as Kislev while infinitely regenerating so I dunno how balanced it is

Anno
May 10, 2017

Randarkman posted:

Oh my, is that Mixu's Legendary Lords or another similar mod? I'm kind of looking through Warhammer 3 mods at the moment, there's actual some neat stuff around, including two very well done factions in the Rotblood Tribe and the Hung, then you have the Sea Dragon mod that adds a LL and some Nippon units (samurai and pirates) for Cathay alongside some other things, and the literally just Lu Bu legendary hero mod.

It’s the team who did the Lu Bu and Rotblood mods. The Lu Bu mod should have a link to something like Legendary Characters which has a whole bunch of them. Or you can download them separately of course.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gotcha, gonna check that one out.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I’m using the two Kislev heroes in my current campaign. The wizard guy isn’t amazing, but the Golden Knight lady owns. It’s nice to have a melee character that can take a couple armoured kossars/tzar guard and hold an entire flank.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Champions is 25% off on Fanatical, best deal I've seen yet

Edit: https://www.fanatical.com/en/dlc/total-war-warhammer-iii-champions-of-chaos

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Randarkman posted:

I also found this

Amazing

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This is always good advice, but to be honest from I have seen in various streams and LPs the only major bug/issue with the IE seems to be AI passivity - which some streamers have said they haven't experienced. There's no reported performance issues, turn time bloat, crippling bugs that break entire factions and so far no run away AI blobs ala WH2 Grimgorg. For me that's shockingly good considering how massive an undertaking I imagine this whole thing is for CA from a development standpoint.

Dramicus posted:

As much as it would be cool to have Toddy, I'd kinda prefer an Empire lord that starts somewhere other than the Empire. Hopefully they do something like Eltharion where maybe you start in control of Middenheim, but Toddy's army is somewhere else.

That's why Toddy would be a good FLC lord who starts in Middenheim as a soft antagonist to Karl. The Ar-Ulric could be hucked anywhere because who cares.

I keep hoping for Marius Lietdorf since he is an 8th ed lord option for the Empire but I guess I will be forever denied my sweet sun sigil and close start to vamps and the badlands.

edit: Great Cannons are 1 turn recruit - which I think is new? I distinctly recall these having 2 turn recruit time.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 21, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I really am impressed with the fan made factions people are coming up with.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Anno posted:

The legendary characters mod team have a drop lined up for Tuesday to help get your Chaos campaign off to a slammin’ start.

My favorite part of Slambius was when Slambo said "it's Slambin' time!" and Slambs all over Archaon.

And then Kholek said "You've GOT to be kidding me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

#SLAMBIUS_SWEEP