Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah like i agree what people are saying here in regards to prison and consent but even ignoring that its just a change for the better.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Snooze Cruise posted:

either way its just a change for the better

agreed. but marsh and bernard having been in prison getting excised is more yuppiefication. like, there didn't need to be any rear end selling, but the big heartbreak for bette should still have been "yeah, I ran into your boy in prison, he's wasn't doing great". that's more economic reality being scrubbed, actual poverty not being represented

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just found that they cast Kassandra from AssCreed: Odyssey as Calliope.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize that was her, that's cool.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The rewrites to Calliope were well done but what really impressed me the most about the episode is how much harder even the base story hits now, post-#metoo, than it did when I first read it. Stories don't usually age and get stronger.

I do wonder how general audiences are finding the loose anthology structure of this show, where the title character may only show up for a few minutes in any given episode. I would think current audiences might not be used to that kind of storytelling.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The show's giving them quite enough of the kind of storytelling they're more likely used to and kinda sucks every time it does. Bring on the anthology structure, I say.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Alhazred posted:

Just found that they cast Kassandra from AssCreed: Odyssey as Calliope.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Since watching the ep yesterday, my brain regularly breaks every other hour or so as I try to recall the correct way to pronounce 'Calliope', it just gets laser focused on assuming it was Kali-oh-pay and I invariably spend a couple of minutes trying to unlearn it again. Stupid brain.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Since watching the ep yesterday, my brain regularly breaks every other hour or so as I try to recall the correct way to pronounce 'Calliope', it just gets laser focused on assuming it was Kali-oh-pay and I invariably spend a couple of minutes trying to unlearn it again. Stupid brain.

I just recall the overly anxious guy from MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries saying he's got the Calliopes online and work from there.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I thought 1000 Cats was ok. The animation seemed a little weird at first, but I don't know how else they could have done it as effectively.

Gryphon: "Who are you??"

"I am a cat."

Dragon: "Ok."

Calliope was good. I don't remember reading that one but the acting was on point.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Whoof, episode 9 was properly rough. The most positive thing I can say about it is that this what I, in my cynicism, was expecting the whole show to be like, and it thus proves the rest of it better.

But that was actually really bad, not just as an adaptation but as TV too. Whenever the dialogue isn't lifted directly from the comics you've heard it a hundred times before in other shows. I felt like there were about seven different drafts of script kludged together in there. I hope they have the good sense to stick to the anthology format in the future; that way there'll at least be excellent episodes in with the bad ones. And that's even perfectly okay for a show, but y'know, shame it's not better given the legacy.

It's really lacking internal consistency too. All that talk about how the ruby makes dreams come true, and it makes people tell the absolute truth. Now all that talk about how a vortex breaks down barriers between dreams, and it makes dreams come true. That feels like something an editor could have caught, and maybe even tied together somehow. (Yeah there was a bit about how a vortex breaks down walls "between realms"; that struck me as a flimsy justification dropped in to make wiseass guys like me stop asking drat questions.)

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 20, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

wasn't calliope, like 15? lol at editing out dream's child bride. then again, for beings who last the duration of the universe, even goddesses and celestial bodies and stuff aren't going to meet the half your age plus seven thing

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

The Voice of Labor posted:

wasn't calliope, like 15? lol at editing out dream's child bride. then again, for beings who last the duration of the universe, even goddesses and celestial bodies and stuff aren't going to meet the half your age plus seven thing

Calliope is one of the Muses, so she's probably a few thousand years old by the time of the events of "Calliope." Unsure about their first meeting (certainly wouldn't put it past Dream, but she was almost certainly "older" in absolute terms than Nada).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The rewrites to Calliope were well done but what really impressed me the most about the episode is how much harder even the base story hits now, post-#metoo, than it did when I first read it. Stories don't usually age and get stronger.

I do wonder how general audiences are finding the loose anthology structure of this show, where the title character may only show up for a few minutes in any given episode. I would think current audiences might not be used to that kind of storytelling.
I forgot in the comic when Madoc is getting offers for making the book into movie it's from Weinstein lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

achillesforever6 posted:

I forgot in the comic when Madoc is getting offers for making the book into movie it's from Weinstein lol

Was Weinstein being rapey known in 1991? The earliest I can find is Gwyneth Paltrow saying he was coercive in 1998

When did whispers about Joss Whedon’s abuse start

I’m curious about which creatives were known for being sex pests in the early 90’s, and who Gaiman pictured in his mind when he wrote it back thenn

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 21, 2022

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

its extremely refreshing watching a streaming show in 2022 with an episodic structure that know how to wrap up storylines without padding them out. I fully expected dream to spend all eight episodes getting his stuff back but instead he has an actual character arch!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Steve Yun posted:

Was Weinstein being rapey known in 1991? The earliest I can find is Gwyneth Paltrow saying he was coercive in 1998

I’m curious about which creatives were known for being sex pests in the early 90’s, and who Gaiman pictured in his mind when he wrote it back thenn
It's probably not intentional and more kind of darkly funny in retrospect

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Apparently the "jab" at JK Rowling was written before she went feral on the anti-trans bullshit, so it was meant more to show the agent being a dick, but with the delay in production and relase, it's become much funnier.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Apparently the "jab" at JK Rowling was written before she went feral on the anti-trans bullshit, so it was meant more to show the agent being a dick, but with the delay in production and relase, it's become much funnier.

lol, where'd you hear this?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

the holy poopacy posted:

lol, where'd you hear this?

Neil's personal Tumblr. Someone asked him if it was an intentional shot at her, and he was like "lol no BUT"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

achillesforever6 posted:

It's probably not intentional and more kind of darkly funny in retrospect

It’s just wild how the “how do I write women so well? I think of myself as a feminist” had Joss Whedon’s number decades before he got exposed

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

It’s just wild how the “how do I write women so well? I think of myself as a feminist” had Joss Whedon’s number decades before he got exposed

I do wonder if it was maybe a self-aware jab, especially the show's version which expands on it and has Ric pushing for more women and POC in his adaptation...

Obviously it's a statement that representation is not enough, which is great, but I wonder if it's also a but of a mea culpa. Especially since again the show version takes a very exploitative piece Neil wrote 30 years ago and gives the female subject vastly more agency. Which makes me wonder if the original line 30 years ago was equally self aware, an admission by Neil that for all his progressiveness he knew he was imperfect and didn't want to be That Guy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Poor Rip Hunter.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I think when it was written it was just a name drop to indicate the success of the author, like saying that Spielberg would direct the adaptation or something.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Poor Rip Hunter.

Yeah but Rory had it coming.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

the holy poopacy posted:

I do wonder if it was maybe a self-aware jab, especially the show's version which expands on it and has Ric pushing for more women and POC in his adaptation...

Obviously it's a statement that representation is not enough, which is great, but I wonder if it's also a but of a mea culpa. Especially since again the show version takes a very exploitative piece Neil wrote 30 years ago and gives the female subject vastly more agency. Which makes me wonder if the original line 30 years ago was equally self aware, an admission by Neil that for all his progressiveness he knew he was imperfect and didn't want to be That Guy.

I was wondering something similar myself...

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I think when it was written it was just a name drop to indicate the success of the author, like saying that Spielberg would direct the adaptation or something.

There was a brief time when Rowling was desperate to assume the title of ‘serious author’ and tried making GBS threads on fantasy as a genre to do so, which caused some friction. Pratchett wrote a letter about it.

https://journal.neilgaiman.com/2005/07/storms-and-teacups.asp

So there’s a little bit of history.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Calliope owned, the actress owned, and I love how much hatred it has for the idea of the troubled but brilliant author. And Arthur Darvill was wonderful as a slimey and awful human being. I hope we see him in more villain roles in the future, because after only seeing him in Doctor Who this was a fuckin revelation.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Calliope owned, the actress owned, and I love how much hatred it has for the idea of the troubled but brilliant author. And Arthur Darvill was wonderful as a slimey and awful human being. I hope we see him in more villain roles in the future, because after only seeing him in Doctor Who this was a fuckin revelation.

:ssh: He also plays Rip Hunter in DC's Legends of Tomorrow

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is interesting, if a bit bizarre.

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1561499408478474241?s=21&t=ateeVM0oUt_7K1r7PdvYPg

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Just finished this and liked it very much, I had read the comics and loved them and didn't expect a whole lot from the film adaptation but was very pleasantly surprised. For some reason the aspect ratio isn't quite right (everything is a little bit stretched vertically) but otherwise it was great. Boyd Holdbrook as The Corinthian was hot as gently caress and I loved every second of his performance. Looking forward to seeing him return later on!

e: also Gault's story was another really high point :thumbsup:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 22, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The AR is intentional and is actually a product of using vintage anamorphic lenses which did not have the math to conform back to a standard ratio quite right. It creates a variety of distortion effects, especially on vertical tilts, but the most noticeable one is the stretch. The appropriateness of the choice is much contested.

I like the perspective fuckery it gives on camera moves, but it probably would have been wise to soft matte and give a slight stretch on the x axis in post so people wouldn't think their TVs had a setting wrong.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

the holy poopacy posted:

I've always assumed that for all the celeb writers/producers/directors that we think are "progressive", a lot of them are still assholes that say that stuff to sound good.

And that was true when he wrote it, and true when the show was made. Joss Whedon being the most obvious example, but probably just the one most people know about.

You gotta think like a capitalist.

"If they don't greedily consume it until it's gone, as quick as allowed, something must be wrong"

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Man, David Thewlis really elevated his bit, didn't he? Didn't think I'd care about Doctor Dee, but here we are.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Memnaelar posted:

Man, David Thewlis really elevated his bit, didn't he? Didn't think I'd care about Doctor Dee, but here we are.

The casting for this show is so good that Patton Oswalt and Stephen Fry are the weak links

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I never had any exposure to Sandman comics when they were initially published, even though I was collecting at the time. However, this show was absolutely incredible. I am really disappointed in myself for not getting on the Sandman train 25+ years ago, because this is precisely the kind of material that resonates the most with me.

The anthology format was also refreshing because it was nice to see very different stories playing out while only keeping the most necessary pieces of the serialized plot intact. However, ep6, The Sound of Her Wings, was probably my favorite episode of television since The Girl in the Fireplace episode of Doctor Who back in 2006, or The Doctor's Wife in 2011 (coincidentally, also written by Gaiman).

I also thoroughly appreciate the story being so heavily character-driven because I was worried it was about to be eight episodes of fetch quests after the first episode.

Long story short, I can't say enough nice things about this show. I can't wait to rewatch it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

"If they don't greedily consume it until it's gone, as quick as allowed, something must be wrong"

It's kinda disgusting how netflix is blackmailing people to binge it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda disgusting how netflix is blackmailing people to binge it.
what the heck do you think blackmailing means

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Not blackmailing, just the standard hostage situation. “Consume all media immediately if you want to see another season.”

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Consuming it in a ten hour sugar rush leaves you little time to digest and think about the bad bits, so it checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Comparing this 10 hrs to the 10 hrs of For All Mankind S3 and y'know, I didn't need to fast forward through 20% of this.