Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bumper Stickup posted:

All of our cashier's called out today. So anytime someone wants to checkout we have to pull somebody from a different department to stop their work and ring out that person.

Management will now see how much money they save by not having cashiers, and remove the position entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

Management will now see how much money they save by not having cashiers, and remove the position entirely.

I think Five Below already does that, everything is self checkout.

I myself love Costco having that. I mean, I pay to be a member, I have to show my card multiple times and get my receipt checked so I can prove I didn't steal, and now I can also ring myself out!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kilonum posted:

There's also been a class action lawsuit against TurboTax over them charging fees to people they shouldn't have. I'm due to get something like $130 from the settlement.

Good luck, the pot is $140M for 4.4M affected people.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

Lmao like we'll ever get more than 4 self checkouts. We're still waiting on parts for the cafe area that were within the budget but then suddenly were out of budget. Cafe can't open until we get them parts.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Volmarias posted:

Good luck, the pot is $140M for 4.4M affected people.

it's based on how many times you got charged by them.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bumper Stickup posted:

Lmao like we'll ever get more than 4 self checkouts. We're still waiting on parts for the cafe area that were within the budget but then suddenly were out of budget. Cafe can't open until we get them parts.

Oh no, I meant they’ll think that constantly calling someone up to the front from where they were working is good enough.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Good. Those companies sound super scummy. Here around tax time every mall has these little kiosks pop up - get your taxes done for $50. It’s a big giant scam. 20 years ago when you had to fill out a big paper booklet maybe it was a convenience but 90% of people can do their tax return in a coffee break without the slightest difficulty and they don’t realise it so they give those assholes money.

Not to make this taxchat, but that’s why they’re fighting so hard to make/keep it as complicated as possible. It’s truly insane how much extra stuff you have to do for even minor additions to your income.

The year finally I left retail and had two W2s, I had a little bit (under $2k) of freelance work to pay taxes on, and my wife had a single W2 job. Our return, including worksheets, state forms, and local forms, was 85 pages long.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Sonic Dude posted:

Not to make this taxchat, but that’s why they’re fighting so hard to make/keep it as complicated as possible. It’s truly insane how much extra stuff you have to do for even minor additions to your income.

The year finally I left retail and had two W2s, I had a little bit (under $2k) of freelance work to pay taxes on, and my wife had a single W2 job. Our return, including worksheets, state forms, and local forms, was 85 pages long.

That’s just crazy. Like I said Australian tax returns are a 5 min job and all the info is basically pre filled for you.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

That’s just crazy. Like I said Australian tax returns are a 5 min job and all the info is basically pre filled for you.

But but but then how do huge tax prep companies make any money?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

We don’t have those.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

They've got sufficient venomous creatures already without us wishing more upon them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Nothing short of the annihilation of tax prep companies like HR Block, Jackson Hewitt, TurboTax, etc. will be necessary to really unscrew the process of doing taxes in the United States.

The problem is that there's a shitload of money to be made from turning government services into private industry or getting ahead of government from providing it. The government providing tax filing software that's as good as TurboTax et al. would be a competitor to those services, and they don't want that. Even if using tax filing software provided by the IRS charged a fee to do it, it would be just enough to pay whatever costs are associated with it and likely less than what tax preparation companies would charge because the IRS is not trying to turn a profit.

To bring it back to retail and related services, there's a shitload of money to be made in providing parcel delivery services and all them companies want as big a piece as they can carve out of the United States Postal Service. Those companies are a lot better at shipping things like larger parcels because they've built their whole business around them, but USPS still beats them at small priority parcels and first class parcels and accounts for nearly half of all the mail in the world. UPS, FedEx, et al. would love a cut of all that money and lean on USPS to deliver all those packages that were shipped at the economy rate because they'd lose money delivering all that stuff.

The government provides services for free or for cheap because it's funded through tax money paid by citizens and businesses or operates without a profit motive. Private business wants that tax money for itself and wants to charge you more to provide those services. And they will do and say anything the have to in order to get it.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Star Man posted:

To bring it back to retail and related services, there's a shitload of money to be made in providing parcel delivery services and all them companies want as big a piece as they can carve out of the United States Postal Service. Those companies are a lot better at shipping things like larger parcels because they've built their whole business around them, but USPS still beats them at small priority parcels and first class parcels and accounts for nearly half of all the mail in the world. UPS, FedEx, et al. would love a cut of all that money and lean on USPS to deliver all those packages that were shipped at the economy rate because they'd lose money delivering all that stuff.

The government provides services for free or for cheap because it's funded through tax money paid by citizens and businesses or operates without a profit motive. Private business wants that tax money for itself and wants to charge you more to provide those services. And they will do and say anything the have to in order to get it.

Too many of the people who cry about how bad USPS is and why FedEx/ ups would be better know very little of how shipping works. Last mile and the rural deliveries are all(?) USPS with a network they've build for decades at this point.

Getting stuff in and around metro areas is easy. Getting stuff out to the middle of nowhere is hard and expensive.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Star Man posted:

Nothing short of the annihilation of tax prep companies like HR Block, Jackson Hewitt, TurboTax, etc. will be necessary to really unscrew the process of doing taxes in the United States.

The problem is that there's a shitload of money to be made from turning government services into private industry or getting ahead of government from providing it. The government providing tax filing software that's as good as TurboTax et al. would be a competitor to those services, and they don't want that. Even if using tax filing software provided by the IRS charged a fee to do it, it would be just enough to pay whatever costs are associated with it and likely less than what tax preparation companies would charge because the IRS is not trying to turn a profit.

I work for FedEx now and yeah, we're better at 2 things than the post office: speed and large packages. USPS has us beat on price. Hell, we have a SAME DAY option inside most metro areas now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Star Man posted:

USPS isn't even tax funded, it's entirely paid for by the people using it one way or another.

I was going to post a screed about how they were forced starting in 2006 to pre-fund 75 years of retirement benefits, but that was finally repealed this year looks like.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Volmarias posted:

USPS isn't even tax funded, it's entirely paid for by the people using it one way or another.

I was going to post a screed about how they were forced starting in 2006 to pre-fund 75 years of retirement benefits, but that was finally repealed this year looks like.

I worked for USPS as a clerk for two years, starting in March 2020. I know :v:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ashye posted:

Getting stuff out to the middle of nowhere is hard and expensive.

Hell, :same:.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am really loving how many customers are apparently missing the giant at eye level sign that informs people "Store closing at 5 pm" and get all shocked Pikachu face when they are informed we are indeed closing in a few minutes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

On a similar note I'm enjoying how we put up 4 signs pointing customers to the exit door after going through the checkout and I still have to redirect people from trying to force open the automatic entrance door.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Have you considered a fifth sign?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Literacy is magic.

I remember in 2019 when I closed at Smith's (Kroger), I was wrapping up clearing the parking lot of carts, and this lady rolled up, grabbed a cart, and ran into the store with it at 11:55 pm. We closed at midnight. She mentioned something about needing ground beef for cartwheels, so she needed a shitload of product for it. I know my closing CSM checked her out and just faced the reaming from management for it later. Just fuckin outrageous.

Probably the thing that pissed me off the most of any job where I had to do it was clean bathrooms. I've cleaned bathrooms in schools, gas stations, a grocery store, and public parks. The cleaning is never the thing that bothers me. It's that no matter what I do to make it as difficult or clear that the bathroom is not open and is being cleaned, people are still trying to get in while I am working. I could have armed guards, attack dogs, a minefield, laser grids, turrets, attack helicopters, and defense satellites guarding the bathroom, people will still get through. I could shoot and kill someone approaching the bathroom, incinerate them, and send their ashes into space. They will come back to Earth, reconstitute, reanimate, and still get into the bathroom while I'm working.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

We had the shop floor toilet open to customers for less than a week before saying no this is an employee toilet now. It's been genuinely hilarious watching the owner losing faith in customers in real time as he finds out that a lot of parents don't like him giving their kids cookies without asking them.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

a lot of parents don't like him giving their kids cookies without asking them.

There are loads of awful customers out there but they actually have a point with this, giving things to kids without asking the parent first is hugely inappropriate. To give even the most obvious example you have absolutely no idea what allergies or religious obligations a kid might have (a ton of sweets and cookies and stuff aren’t halal for eg) and you can’t trust a little kid to be able to properly judge these things for themselves or exercise self control.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Star Man posted:

Literacy is magic.

Oh, yeah, I have no idea how most customers function out in the real world considering their total inability to see, read or comprehend signs.

Whether it's aisle numbers or something important and informative, they will miss it every single time. I've had customers walk past five perfectly-in-view, manned and hugely signposted info desks just to bump off the rear wall of the warehouse and then turn around and ask me where the info desk is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

There are loads of awful customers out there but they actually have a point with this, giving things to kids without asking the parent first is hugely inappropriate. To give even the most obvious example you have absolutely no idea what allergies or religious obligations a kid might have (a ton of sweets and cookies and stuff aren’t halal for eg) and you can’t trust a little kid to be able to properly judge these things for themselves or exercise self control.

Oh yeah, I've basically memorised the ingredients list for the fortune cookies at this point. Mostly I want to give them out because we have 1800 of them taking up space in the storeroom and customers can't see the giant FREE sign on the open box we have by the exit door.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Oh yeah, I've basically memorised the ingredients list for the fortune cookies at this point. Mostly I want to give them out because we have 1800 of them taking up space in the storeroom and customers can't see the giant FREE sign on the open box we have by the exit door.

I refuse to believe customers wouldn’t see a giant sign that says free; or that they wouldn’t assume said sign applies to whatever random item takes their fancy within like 10 feet of said sign and start an argument when you object.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, yeah, I have no idea how most customers function out in the real world considering their total inability to see, read or comprehend signs.

Whether it's aisle numbers or something important and informative, they will miss it every single time. I've had customers walk past five perfectly-in-view, manned and hugely signposted info desks just to bump off the rear wall of the warehouse and then turn around and ask me where the info desk is.

It's gotten...better (or at least I've gotten used to it) but after lockdowns started ending people could barely function on the roads. It was an absolute nightmare going from "Being an 'essential' worker sucks but I have the whole road to myself!" to "OH gently caress DO NONE OF YOU REMEMBER HOW TO DRIVE?" overnight.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I stopped mopping and walked across the wet floor for this?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I’m grateful for them during the various periods of time we were in hard lockdown the first couple of years of the pandemic (and I’m sure a lot of restaurants wouldn’t have survived without them) but pandemic circumstances not withstanding I think food delivery apps have done a lot of damage to our lives.

I started a major lifestyle change at Christmas, which included deleting all my food delivery apps. I now eat out 2-3 times a week, by actually going to the restaurant - a quick and healthy meal like sushi or a Bahn mi and a coffee twice a week when I go grocery shopping; and a bigger more exciting meal once a week or so when I go out to dinner with friends. The rest of the time, I cook at home now.

The upside of all this is that I’m eating much healthier now that I’m not shoving food into my mouth hole while sitting in front of the computer or tv; I’ve lost 20kg (lots to go, I’ve always been pretty overweight but the past 2-3 years my weight had ballooned out of control) and I’m no longer spending $1500 a month on average on loving uberEATS (75% of my income!!!). now I have more money to actually save, spend on hobbies, and I’m eating really, really well with the food I cook, I spare no expense on ingredients yet I’m spending a fraction of what I was on takeout, and when I do eat out I can spend a bit more now that I have actual savings.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Food delivery apps did no damage to me personally since their delivery charges are stupid and ordering from them as someone who lives alone makes no sense with how high some places round here have set their delivery minimums. They did do immense damage to me at work though because [see every time I raged about delivery drivers in this thread while working at Mcdonalds].

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I wish Costco did delivery of food poo poo. That's the only time I would order groceries and poo poo for delivery.

Had a customer give me some snip lip today because I came in for a pickup, and it wasn't ready, despite me calling an hour in advance to tell them I cannot wait around the usual 10-15 minutes for them to do their loving job; the pickup window is four loving hours, get your poo poo together! I walk in, ask where the order is, and she starts in on how I was at store A earlier today and I didn't pick up there and it was for her personally and A said I WOULD NOT WAIT AND JUST LEFT.

I listened, said thanks for your time, and walked out. Turns out I doubt it was me, since I had no pickups from A to her store. But I was at store A, waited 7 minutes to get anything beyond a nod from the workers, and they had a full lobby; when I finally did get someone to help me, he spent a minute asking me what I needed, then started helping someone else. So I told him I'd be back and rescheduled the order.

The first people to bitch they don't get poo poo on time are the first ones to never have their own pickups ready.

I've never done the food app delivery poo poo because it's so expensive.

edit: clarifying because I was posting hungry.

I had a pickup at store B. I called store B an hour before I'd get there, to tell them hey, I don't have time to wait around today, please have my pickup ready. The pickup window is from 12-4pm. It's about 3pm. So they have had three hours to get their poo poo ready, but this store rarely has the orders ready during the window, so I need to wait for them to do their loving job. This is a steady problem at all of these stores; they always have excuses as to why they never have anything ready, but are the first people to demand a refund for late orders.

I get to store B. The order isn't ready. I'm a little ticked, so head inside, and a worker there gets pissed at me before I get more than a few words out. She had a order, a personal order, for pickup at store A. I was at store A earlier that day; they also did not have anything ready, so after waiting 5 minutes, I told the worker there I'd be back, and rescheduled the pickup. That order was not for store B, but the person at store B thought it was. Store B employee also snapped that store A said I refused to wait, that I would not wait for the order, so she drove there herself and picked up the order herself. She was very mad that she paid for delivery but had to do the pickup herself because I personally would not wait an extra 10-20 minutes.

I left without explaining to her that I did not in fact make her do poo poo. If the employees actually had my orders ready in the pickup window, I could get everything done and no lates, but they rarely do, so here we are.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 23, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I'm sorry but what?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

I'm sorry but what?

yeah i didn't follow that at all

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Even after the edit, I still don't get it, so I stuck it in GPT to find out what it meant.

quote:

TL;DR:
I had a customer complaining about how she had to do her own pickup today, even though she paid for it, because I would not wait for the pickup. Except I never was there, and she later told me it was a different order and different store, so no idea WTF.

Also, the customer isn't always right.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Best I can figure out is cowslips does inter-store deliveries. Store B person complains about CL not grabbing the order at store A destined for store B. Turns out that CL was at store A, but there was no order for store B for CL to get. Additionally, CL left store A because the order CL was meant to get (for store C) wasn't ready.

Edit wasn't there when I typed this.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I just know that Cowslips is a delivery driver, so he's bitching that the places he's supposed to pick up from never have their poo poo together and orders ready, so he waits for his 15 minute window and then leaves.

Reminds me of our delivery drivers bitching that our sister stores in the area never have their poo poo together for receiving deliveries. They're always amazed when I drop what I'm doing as soon as I can to verify and sign for the delivery, and don't make them wait for 15-20 minutes. It helps that we try and have water and candy sitting out if they do have to wait a few minutes, and our regular drivers know it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

PitViper posted:

I just know that Cowslips is a delivery driver, so he's bitching that the places he's supposed to pick up from never have their poo poo together and orders ready, so he waits for his 15 minute window and then leaves.

Okay that was the missing ingredient.

To jump in on the doordash hate, the other day after work, I had put in an order at a restaurant across the street for pick up. When I pulled into the lot, of course the instore pick up spots were filled, so I parked literally only twenty feet further away to get my food. Another car, however pulled right into one of the handicapped spots. No handicapped plates, no mirror tag, hopped out of her car and ran in before me. Turns out, she's picking up a doordash order. I hate assholes who take the handicapped spot when they don't need it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Okay that was the missing ingredient.

To jump in on the doordash hate, the other day after work, I had put in an order at a restaurant across the street for pick up. When I pulled into the lot, of course the instore pick up spots were filled, so I parked literally only twenty feet further away to get my food. Another car, however pulled right into one of the handicapped spots. No handicapped plates, no mirror tag, hopped out of her car and ran in before me. Turns out, she's picking up a doordash order. I hate assholes who take the handicapped spot when they don't need it.

Yeah I refuse to park in handicapped spaces ever. Once had a manager tell me to just park in one of those while I waited for them to get my order ready, and he was quite surprised when I refused. There's only two in this parking lot, I'm not taking one!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Yeah I refuse to park in handicapped spaces ever. Once had a manager tell me to just park in one of those while I waited for them to get my order ready, and he was quite surprised when I refused. There's only two in this parking lot, I'm not taking one!

Plus I guarantee the manager wouldn't pay for your expensive parking ticket if you got one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
We've got a drive-in part of the store, usually used for loading large/heavy objects like lumber, tiles, brick, etc. directly into your car.

Despite it being clearly signposted outside and applying equally to everyone, some customers always throw a shitfit when they're told we need to check their car before they're allowed to drive out. It happens about once per day where some poor clerk gets whined at, cried at and/or insulted just because they want to check that the customer doesn't have 40,000DKK worth of unpaid power tools hidden under their seats(a real thing that happened at one point).