Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

Like, what even IS Rick Scott's brand these days outside of "the guy who steals all your money if you put him in charge of something where there is money that can be stolen"?

the guy who put out a 2022 senate campaign platform that has featured only in democratic ads, gleefully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He spent like a week earlier this year promoting his awful Senate GOP platform which called for things like privatizing SS and Medicare. Mitch had to call him out publicly for it because it was incredibly unpopular.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Like, what even IS Rick Scott's brand these days outside of "the guy who steals all your money if you put him in charge of something where there is money that can be stolen"?

Tbf this could describe practically any politician. I guess he's more open about it though.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Yinlock posted:

Tbf this could describe practically any politician. I guess he's more open about it though.

He also looks like the bad guy from Roger Rabbit.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

So what's the Biden administration's thinking about moving onto a "commercialization" phase with the Covid vaccines and monoclonal antibodies? It just seems like a bad idea all-around: more expensive, less equitable, possibly less vaccines in general in fewer places. Is it because they can't maintain an emergency declaration forever? Why not?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's because Covid's just a cold now bro

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Professor Beetus posted:

It's because Covid's just a cold now bro

The free market will handle things from here.

Your covid vaccine is now 195 dollars please

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Yinlock posted:

Scott's history of embezzlement goes way above and beyond what is typical of American politicians. it's hilarious that he ended up in charge of anything at all

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

small butter posted:

So what's the Biden administration's thinking about moving onto a "commercialization" phase with the Covid vaccines and monoclonal antibodies? It just seems like a bad idea all-around: more expensive, less equitable, possibly less vaccines in general in fewer places. Is it because they can't maintain an emergency declaration forever? Why not?

The administration is running low on COVID relief funding, and Congress has failed to provide any more. Without an infusion of Congressional cash, the administration will have to start repurposing funds and scrounging around behind the proverbial couch cushions in order to maintain its role in combating COVID. And the GOP senators have made it pretty clear that they're no longer willing to cooperate with COVID control measures, so no more funding can be expected.

Privatization isn't ideal, but it's not a total disaster either. It makes sense for the administration to act early to transition it to private hands before the program falls into complete crisis due to lack of funding.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
drat, shots fired.

The North Carolina Supreme Court just took a pretty big swipe at their state legislature over all the gerrymandering the GOP's been doing there.
https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1560669259428409344
https://twitter.com/AnthonyMKreis/status/1560686681669644288
It'll be interesting to see AppellateTwitter reactions, but the NC Supreme Court saying that the state legislature potentially can't self-servingly amend the state Constitution if the deciding votes are from unconstitutional racially gerrymandered districts seems pretty good. And the GOP catching hands for their bullshit is always nice to see.

Also, the actual opinion is very well written and an easy read.
https://appellate.nccourts.org/opinions/?c=1&pdf=41699

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 21, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Main Paineframe posted:

The administration is running low on COVID relief funding, and Congress has failed to provide any more. Without an infusion of Congressional cash, the administration will have to start repurposing funds and scrounging around behind the proverbial couch cushions in order to maintain its role in combating COVID. And the GOP senators have made it pretty clear that they're no longer willing to cooperate with COVID control measures, so no more funding can be expected.

Privatization isn't ideal, but it's not a total disaster either. It makes sense for the administration to act early to transition it to private hands before the program falls into complete crisis due to lack of funding.

Privatization, well known to improve services and make sure more money is spent on helping people.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

Would this Covid relief legislation require 60 votes? Why not add it to reconciliation?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Scott's history of embezzlement goes way above and beyond what is typical of American politicians. it's hilarious that he ended up in charge of anything at all

https://twitter.com/TheRickWilson/status/1560979502393540608

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

drat, shots fired.

The North Carolina Supreme Court just took a pretty big swipe at their state legislature over all the gerrymandering the GOP's been doing there.
https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1560669259428409344
https://twitter.com/AnthonyMKreis/status/1560686681669644288
It'll be interesting to see AppellateTwitter reactions, but the NC Supreme Court saying that the state legislature potentially can't self-servingly amend the state Constitution if the deciding votes are from unconstitutional racially gerrymandered districts seems pretty good. And the GOP catching hands for their bullshit is always nice to see.

Also, the actual opinion is very well written and an easy read.
https://appellate.nccourts.org/opinions/?c=1&pdf=41699

I like the result, but couldn't that line of thinking be used to strike down any law passed before 1965, like the New Deal?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Charlz Guybon posted:

I like the result, but couldn't that line of thinking be used to strike down any law passed before 1965, like the New Deal?

Hope Roberts isn't reading the thread.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Well, in relies entirely on NC Constitutional rights and NC law, so not that, at least.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

So what was the last bill that provided funding for Covid relief efforts?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

small butter posted:

So what was the last bill that provided funding for Covid relief efforts?

Earlier this year for $10B (less than half of what Biden asked for) paid for by simply saying it was OK to spend Covid money that they had not spent last year.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

"I just put all these on my personal card for the rewards!"

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Medullah posted:

"I just put all these on my personal card for the rewards!"

Party of fiscal responsibility.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The administration has made it obvious at every turn that they really do not want to deal with COVID at all and would rather just be spreading misinformation about deadly gay viruses or whatever. Privitization is a disaster because it's just the final nail in the coffin of any kind of hope that people will actually be helped through a deadly(and still ongoing no matter how much the ruling class pretends otherwise) pandemic rather than bilked for as much money as possible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Look, the pharmaceutical companies have already suffered enough by being given billions of dollars of public funding to develop a vaccine. It's time for them to get their fair share.

Like, yeah, you can say it's not a total disaster, but it's still a complete failure of the administrative state to do anything other than shovel more money into the hands of corporations. Even if they have no other choice it's still not great that we've allowed things to get so bad that we have to privatize a life saving vaccine. And that's giving them the benefit of the doubt that this isn't just rank corruption.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 21, 2022

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Just as a quick aside, the term used by the Covid Response Team Guy was commercialization, not privatization; there's potentially some difference if he was being careful about his wording, but mostly it impacts the ability to google useful information rather than relying on twitter.

Article covering Jha's speech: https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/16/health/biden-administration-covid-19-vaccines-tests-treatments/index.html

His speech seems, shall we say, short on practical details. As far as I can tell through non-paywalled sources ( https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlieporterfield/2022/08/18/us-wont-pay-for-covid-19-shots-soon-heres-how-it-could-work/?sh=431541af30db ), there aren't really any details yet. HHS will be holding a bigass meeting on August 30 to start hammering out those details, so I guess I don't really care about this particular catchy topic until then.

additional interesting bit I found from May on NIH giving some of its covid tech to the WHO: https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2022/05/12/nih-licenses-covid-19-research-tools-early-stage-technologies-who-program.html

tldr NIH is apparently not allowed to bring stuff to market itself, so it's giving out some of its tools and early stage tech to the WHO to serve the twin purposes of getting the tech brought to market and getting the stuff in general out to the wider world, which i seem to recall was the topic of some complaint

Fister Roboto posted:

Even if they have no other choice it's still not great that we've allowed things to get so bad that we have to privatize a life saving vaccine.

certainly seems to be this, i imagine that for example the monoclonal antibody suppliers wouldn't exactly be horrified to have the US government subsidize every drop they can produce forever

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

It's obviously up to any given individual asking the question to determine how persuasive they find it, but Pfizer's a client of SKDK, the PR firm widely credited for the success of Biden's 2020 campaign, and their managing director, Anita Dunn, has pingponged back and forth between SKDK and Biden's leadership group and within the last week or so finally disclosed that Pfizer was one of her specific clients at SKDK

That's obviously not a smoking gun, but if such a gun exists, you're not going to get it. Personally I don't think Dunn or anyone else from SKDK should even be allowed on the grounds of the White House, much less work as a Biden senior advisor, simply because she provided pro-bono PR advice to Harvey Weinstein and SKDK helped establish the catch-and-kill Time's Up Legal Defense Fund even before you even start considering her corporate clientele, but presumably everyone involved believes that none of the objections one might raise about it can withstand the sheer brute pressure of signing the administration's ironclad ethics pledge

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

small butter posted:

Would this Covid relief legislation require 60 votes? Why not add it to reconciliation?

It could be added to reconciliation; that's how the COVID funding in 2021 was passed. But reconciliation hasn't exactly been an easy path this year either, and its restrictions make it difficult to use.

As best as I can tell, it fell prey to being just one piece in the much larger omnibus bill needed to get a large amount of stuff passed through reconciliation this year. In the months of back-and-forth between conservative Dems demanding excessive deficit reduction and the rest of the Dems balking at cuts to already existing programs, it seems the resulting fiscal infighting ultimately whittled Biden's original $30 billion COVID funding request down to nothing. And even then, the bill was effectively dead for months before Manchin finally allowed the Dems to pass something. And of course, negotiations with the GOP's "moderates" for 60-vote COVID aid fell through.

Without more funding from Congress, the government can't really continue to buy vaccines. They've already been repurposing money where they can in order to keep things going for now, but the power of the purse ultimately rests with Congress. With no more funding for vaccines, the administration doesn't really have much choice but to transition out of the role of essentially being the single-payer for COVID vaccines.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

When it comes to relative fiscal priorities, another thing to keep in mind is that COVID fatalities are now down to roughly car accident numbers. If we had a brand-new disease come out today that was killing as many people as car crashes, we'd be freaking out, but its COVID. Everyone who wanted to get vaccinated already is by now. It sucks for immune compromised people and vaccinated folks who die anyway, but a very large portion of those car accident-magnitude COVID deaths these days are probably anti-vaxxers who have been loving around for a very long time and are just now finally finding out.

We should want to fund it anyway, but if politics and Manchin's insistence on deficit reductions at $X is forcing compromises and its a question of either funding this or something else that may now be more important in late 2022, I can see how COVID funding dropped out.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Rigel posted:

but a very large portion of those car accident-magnitude COVID deaths these days are probably anti-vaxxers who have been loving around for a very long time and are just now finally finding out.

The latest data I've seen is for Feb 1 - July 8 '22 in WA state and the 10% unvaxxed are 60% of deaths and 59% of hospitalizations.

https://doh.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2022-02/421-010-CasesInNotFullyVaccinated.pdf

I know that death/hospitalization are not common adverse outcomes compared to Long Covid and probably disappear in the sea of LC morbidity as far as overall effects on society, but still, pretty stark.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
While I raised the antibody thing earlier because that's already been semi commercialized, when it comes to vaccines specifically, health insurers et al generally really like vaccines... because they reduce the rate of future massive payouts. See: flu

The task force guy made a big point of talking about uninsured people being a priority in the current planning.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

EDIT"

Here's the shoot the FBI guy

A Republican candidate seeking a House seat in the Florida Legislature had his Twitter account yanked this week after a post about violence against federal agents.

Luis Miguel, who's running in Florida's House District 20, said on Twitter that under his plan, federal agents could be shot on sight in the state.

Miguel confirmed to NBC News that his tweet on Thursday said: “Under my plan, all Floridians will have permission to shoot FBI, IRS, ATF and all other feds on sight! Let freedom ring!”

Now, I'm not saying it's time to start supporting the GOP, but like... Let's hear him out?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rigel posted:

When it comes to relative fiscal priorities, another thing to keep in mind is that COVID fatalities are now down to roughly car accident numbers. If we had a brand-new disease come out today that was killing as many people as car crashes, we'd be freaking out, but its COVID. Everyone who wanted to get vaccinated already is by now. It sucks for immune compromised people and vaccinated folks who die anyway, but a very large portion of those car accident-magnitude COVID deaths these days are probably anti-vaxxers who have been loving around for a very long time and are just now finally finding out.

We should want to fund it anyway, but if politics and Manchin's insistence on deficit reductions at $X is forcing compromises and its a question of either funding this or something else that may now be more important in late 2022, I can see how COVID funding dropped out.

Jesus christ dude

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

some plague rats posted:

Now, I'm not saying it's time to start supporting the GOP, but like... Let's hear him out?

I think this conversation should probably stop here.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

Hey now, Rick Scott wouldn't steal a red hot stove.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 22, 2022

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Man, I never thought I would like Rick Scott but stealing money from Republican donors is a platform I can get behind.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Rigel posted:

You know what, I never thought about it like that before, but you're right. It does suck for the immunocompromised and vaccinated people who die anyway. Thank you for this wise insight. I'm relieved that their deaths are at least accompanied by the deaths of people who deserve to die more. That's such a load off my mind

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think this conversation should probably stop here.

I'm disappointed by this decision but I understand why you made it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

You know what, I never thought about it like that before, but you're right. It does suck for the immunocompromised and vaccinated people who die anyway. Thank you for this wise insight. I'm relieved that their deaths are at least accompanied by the deaths of people who deserve to die more. That's such a load off my mind

Now if you look here you'll see covid deaths are similar to car accidents, an incredibly violent part of modern life that we have a weird blind spot to.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also most other countries have a significantly lower or nonexistent covid death rate. If the US had a way higher rate of deaths by car accident than other countries, I would probably want the government to do something about it, or at least not throw up their hands and say "well I guess all we can do is let the seatbelt manufacturers get their slice of the pie".

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
From Arkansas earlier today...this stuff shows up so often a significant number of polled Americans would probably guess it was standard procedure at this point. The cop pointing at the camera at the end really sells it too.

:siren: Violence warning, obviously. :siren:
https://twitter.com/NaomiRHelm/status/1561436191895035904
https://twitter.com/katgal2/status/1561481633663942656
Didn't we have a goon cop way back who did a big A/T on how corrupt his precinct was and how terrible cops are?

Anyone know of some good podcasts on police corruption?

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Rigel posted:

It's really not for me to post in D&D very often, but my read of your intent means I think that's a cruel thing to say. This is more of a general attitude towards how people are about unvaccinated folks dying- celebrating or joking about it comes off pretty negatively to me. Is my attitude out of place, or are there experiences you (or others who think about it in the same way) have had that justify your perspective on the subject?

I know how awful people are- I am a teacher and have spent the last two+ years dealing with parents and families who will not wear a mask or get themselves/their kids vaccinated. It makes me upset sometimes, but I also know that if some of them die, there is irreparable harm done to the family that I believe isn't justified, regardless of how obnoxious they are about not vaccinating themselves or their kids. Having had family die from COVID, it rubs me wrong to think that someone, somewhere, may have your attitude about them being unvaccinated prior to picking up the disease.

Anyway, i'd like to know more from you (or others) about how you arrived at your belief, and, if so, try to understand how our experiences mean we think separate things about a similar, controversial subject.

NeatHeteroDude fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The intentionally unvaccinated are very much loving around and possibly finding out. If my anti-vaxx family member who calls vaccines k*ke spikes dies of Covid I would absolutely have zero issue calling them a moron who died pointlessly.