Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did they add some sort of sleep mode download option? I accidentally put it in sleep while DLing a game earlier and instead of turning off it went black with the backlight still on (and still downloading) and pressing the power button brought up a new set of options i hadn't seen before. weirdly none of them was "turn it back on" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

gottagotowork posted:

I feel input lag at 30/60 as well, but it's most pronounced (as in, annoyingly so) for me when on 40/40. Maybe this is because I rarely use 30/60.

I'm not the only person to have noticed this. Again, I don't have an understanding of the technical or practical reason behind this, but here's an article summarizing someone's analysis of the frame rate / refresh rate caps and their respective latencies. There's a Tom's Hardware article about it as well.

To me, anything that involves fast camera swings or quick button presses suffers a bit under 40/40. I still use it frequently but it's certainly something that I hope Valve can improve upon, especially since 40/40 is otherwise such a sweet spot for visual fluidity and battery life.

There's a ton of articles who are just quoting that reddit post lol. This is one dude testing this on Rogue Legacy 2 on his external display 3 months ago.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/ug9kc2/psa_enabling_the_framerate_limiter_adds/

Some games are just gonna have input lag if you gently caress with it's frame timing via frame limiter, v-sync etc. You're gonna have the same problem on any PC and this happens a lot with console ports for example. Some causes of input lag can be fixed with drivers (AMD in Deck's case) but some are just down to developers. Not to mention people running deck on random TVs via random docks are gonna see various input/output lag depending on what they have.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I got chiaki going. This truly is the second coming of the Vita.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What's the situation like for SteamOS on the desktop? Has Valve updated that at all, or are they only focusing on the Steam Deck? Would you be better off going with some other distro if you want to put linux on a gaming PC like some kind of sick freak?

From a few pages ago but you'll probably want Ubuntu. If your main purpose is to play games I'm not sure why you'd bother though. If you want to tinker -and- play games that would make more sense. I'm not sure any Linux distribution will 'just work' for gaming. Ubuntu is very user-friendly.

Also, Cursed to Golf is great on the Deck!

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
I'm looking at getting a steamdeck. How realistic is the expected delivery quarter 4 2022 that the site is showing? Also is the expensive one worth it? Thinking about the 256gb one just now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DrWrestling69 posted:

I'm looking at getting a steamdeck. How realistic is the expected delivery quarter 4 2022 that the site is showing? Also is the expensive one worth it? Thinking about the 256gb one just now.

They've really been motoring through the queue. I think if you paid now you'd have a decent chance of getting it this year.

I bought the cheapest one and it's been completely fine with an SSD card added, so I say follow your heart. And your wallet.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I don’t think the 512 is twice the product the 64 gig (128? I forget) model is. But I’m glad I got the 512. If it’s a money thing, definitely get the cheaper one. If the money isn’t as much of an issue, the 512 is nice to have for a couple reasons but definitely not strictly “worth it”

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

As a less-hardcore (lardcore?) gamer, I can say that the 64GB is definitely worth it.

Popped a 256GB SD card in and am in no danger of filling it up.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, you might be like me and have your 512ssd & 1tb sd card full to the brim. I've got 147 games installed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

As a 512 haver with a 1TB SD card I can safely say that the 64 version is by far the best value.

Even more so when you start looking at the other options on the market.

$399 is a steal.

Dramicus posted:

On the other hand, you might be like me and have your 512ssd & 1tb sd card full to the brim.

Oh yeah mine is full as poo poo but I could definitely trim things and still be comfortable.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I finally purged Forza Horizon from my SD card because I do not play that game enough to justify ~150gb

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

Oh yeah mine is full as poo poo but I could definitely trim things and still be comfortable.

It totally depends on what kind of games interest you. If you want to play stuff like Final Fantasy 15 / 7 remake, or other big-budget titles like that. Then the 64gb is just not enough. Hell even Spiderman is like 67 gb.

But if you like indie games, you could probably squeeze like 30 games into the 64gb model.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dramicus posted:

It totally depends on what kind of games interest you. If you want to play stuff like Final Fantasy 15 / 7 remake, or other big-budget titles like that. Then the 64gb is just not enough. Hell even Spiderman is like 67 gb.

But if you like indie games, you could probably squeeze like 30 games into the 64gb model.

That’s what the SD card is for

:eng101:

I honestly can’t even tell what is running on the SD card vs internal storage at this point.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

That’s what the SD card is for

:eng101:

I honestly can’t even tell what is running on the SD card vs internal storage at this point.

I've only had 1 game so far where being on the SD card was noticeable and it was Soul Calibur 6. Whatever they were doing with the loading meant the SD card took a long time. And it was pretty noticeable because of all the loading between each match. Moving it to the SSD fixed it. Apart from that, I haven't been able to tell if a game was on the SSD or SD.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

HopperUK posted:

They've really been motoring through the queue. I think if you paid now you'd have a decent chance of getting it this year.

I bought the cheapest one and it's been completely fine with an SSD card added, so I say follow your heart. And your wallet.

Thanks. For some reason I thought you couldn't add expanded storage. Do you just use an SD card?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

DrWrestling69 posted:

Thanks. For some reason I thought you couldn't add expanded storage. Do you just use an SD card?

You can add an SSD to ones that don’t have them, as well as a larger SD card.

Lore Crimes
Jul 22, 2007

For the offbeat untranslated ps1 era fans: anyone come up with a way to run something like textractor/agent or some sort of OCR translation overlay on this thing yet? Not sure how it would work via proton but would be very cool.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DrWrestling69 posted:

Yep! Just like a Switch. Just slap it in there.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

here's a tip for everyone: apparently .desktop files break when you put them a in folder on the desktop

so dont go doing that with all the icons EmuDeck barfs out and then spending an hour trying to figure out why it tries to open them as text. thanks Linux

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I have them in a folder called EmuDeck and everything seems to work okay.

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Is there a way in SteamOS to transfer games stored in SSD to the micro SD card and vice versa?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

negativeneil posted:

Is there a way in SteamOS to transfer games stored in SSD to the micro SD card and vice versa?

Yes it’s trivial, there is a storage menu where you transfer or delete.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Subjunctive posted:

You can add an SSD to ones that don’t have them, as well as a larger SD card.

Just a warning here that Valve has issued a statement saying that it could mess up your deck if you do change the SSD

Edit: It may be more specific than just a general "Don't change the SSD" but I didn't read too much into it.

Edit 2: Ah poo poo never mind, it's about replacing the 2230 with a 2242 SSD, same form SSD is fine, I misread.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 21, 2022

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

pseudorandom name posted:

[...]In conclusion, Rogue Legacy 2 has ~4 frames of input latency and the people who post on reddit or write for GameRant and Tom's Hardware aren't very bright.

That may be the case in theory, I guess — but there sure is a noticeable difference between the settings when you're actually using the device. Try it out yourself.

Vic posted:

Some causes of input lag can be fixed with drivers (AMD in Deck's case) but some are just down to developers.

This is more in line with what I'm thinking. Though it follows that certain games/software limitations/external displays etc. will get in the way and there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

IIRC you get less lag if you uncap the fps and then enforce vsync in-game instead of using the overlay.

I'll try this out. Again, none of this is a deal-breaker, I love the Deck. Regardless of if it can be mitigated or not I'll still use 40/40 for most games.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

gottagotowork posted:

That may be the case in theory, I guess — but there sure is a noticeable difference between the settings when you're actually using the device. Try it out yourself.

Yeah, Rogue Legacy 2's game tick rate is tied to the frame rate. If you limit the framerate, you're limiting the game tick rate. If the game reads your inputs on frame 1 and starts acting on those inputs on frame 4, and you increase the amount of time that a frame takes by reducing the frame rate then it will take a longer amount of time for the game to respond to your inputs. The redditor's numbers reflect that.

gottagotowork posted:

This is more in line with what I'm thinking. Though it follows that certain games/software limitations/external displays etc. will get in the way and there's no one-size-fits-all solution.

Input literally is not involved with presentation at all. If you cap the FPS, the Steam Deck reprograms the screen's refresh rate to match the cap, unless the cap is below the minimum refresh rate in which case it sets the refresh rate to a multiple of the cap and only presents new frames from the game when rate modulo cap equals zero.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

pseudorandom name posted:

rate modulo cap equals zero.

quote:

Man you are over estimating how good I am at doing computers

More simply: should I expect the input latency at capped refresh rates / frame rate combos on this device to get better in the future or not?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No because it's the game. If a game intrinsically has 3 frames of input latency, as many games do because that's default Unity settings, then it's going to be more noticable as you crank frame times up. Caring about input latency and cranking your refresh rate as low it can go is mutually exclusive.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cellar Door Games posted:

Oh, hmmm. That is fairly below the recommended specs.

The game handles low performance in two different ways. It first tries to run at 60 fps. If it can't reach that frame rate, it will frame skip to as low as 30 fps. Frame skip means the game will still perform all calculations like it is running at 60 fps, but will skip the logic between frames whenever it needs to. This causes the game to be a bit jittery.

The real issue comes in if the system runs below 30 fps. At that point the game cannot reliably skip frames (otherwise it will become a slide show), and instead it kicks into slowdown. In slowdown, no frames are skipped, and the game just moves slower overall. Slowdown is where input starts the feel really sluggish. For ex. if your game runs at 15 fps, that can result in 0.13s of delayed input, which is a really long time, and would result in running into walls.

Frame skip + slowdown makes games look much better than they are actually running, and I believe that is why the game looks like it is running fine for you, and is desynced with the input.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1253920/discussions/1/3276942370886969657/#c3276942370887334020

You don't want to run Rogue Legacy 2 at anything less than 60 FPS, this was the stupidest possible game for the redditor to run his fake benchmarks and all the gaming "journalists" that quoted him for that juicy Steam Deck SEO committed journalistic malpractice.

TuKeZu
Nov 29, 2015

I haven't exactly done any scientific testing with 240fps cameras and LEDs, but in the games I've tried it in, the SteamOS frame limiter introduces way, way more lag (especially noticeable when using trackpad mouse) compared to in-game limiters adding very little if any. Unfortunately the in-game options tend to be limited to the usual 30/60/120 etc, so I guess I'll be playing GW2 at 60 despite constantly dropping below that

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

gottagotowork posted:

More simply: should I expect the input latency at capped refresh rates / frame rate combos on this device to get better in the future or not?

No, some games are literally made to work at exact framerate. If you mess with that, the game behaves wrong. Do not use the framerate limiter for those games. This is not Deck related, it is tied to the game's code.

Use game's options menu to limit frames/enable v-sync.
Reduce CPU watts and GPU clock speed for power saving.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Any thoughts on how often they'll update the Steamdeck hardware? I kind of want one, but am completely fine with waiting a year if an upgraded version will be coming out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

every three months

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I continue to be amazed by this machine. It's surprisingly capable at playing PC games that were never intended to run on a device in this form factor (which, is unlike the Switch where many games specifically ported to that system aren't necessarily a great experience).

One of the things I was looking forward to doing when Valve first announced the Deck was revisiting the OG Half-Life. I assumed that the Half-Life series would be flagship titles for the Deck, and while Valve did go back and do a UI update for the HL2 episodes and Portal 1/2, along with official input configurations, they didn't really do that with Half-Life. At first I assumed that HL:Source is the intended version to play as I had been unaware of the whole debacle around that. I mean, it runs, but it doesn't have the UI update the other Source engine games do and no official input config.

OK, that's fine. I boot OG Half-Life and the screen is pillarboxed and a bit blurry, but all I have to do is enable the Widescreen option and it runs at 1280x800, so far so good.

For the input config I didn't really like the community options but I leaned some tricks from them. I used the WASD+Mouse template and added an inverted Shift (sprint) to the L-stick outer ring and assigned a Ctrl toggle (crouch) to L3. Suddenly it's working with a decent approximation of analog movement and the trackpad mouse works great out of the box. I expected way more fiddling than that.

Does Black Mesa existing mean Valve is done with OG Half-Life? I know it's not a direct remake of the original but it's not really clear if that's what folks "should" play now. I haven't checked it out yet but it appears to still have some issues according to ProtonDB.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 21, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Grey posted:

Any thoughts on how often they'll update the Steamdeck hardware?
They're not upgrading it next year. But even if they did I imagine the older model will hold some value since there will surely be demand.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If you wanted an upgraded steam deck you'll be paying more and buying it from someone else.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So anyone run into issues with Steam Cloud saves not uploading/syncing? I played a bit earlier today and for a few hours now I've been unable to get the deck to upload the save. I've restarted the thing, I've played some more / made a newer save, tried different connections. Other games / updates are coming along just fine it's just one save not wanting to upload (MH Rise). And it's not like it's corrupted because I can still continue playing it on the Deck.

never mind, bitching about it fixed it. I kept forcing other games to upload new saves and then went back to the one giving me issues and it went through.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 21, 2022

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Ive had a couple cases where a cloud sync has gotten stuck (probably because I put it to sleep during the sync) and the easiest way I found to get it unstuck is to go into desktop mode and go right back to game mode. Its basically restarting the Steam client without rebooting I figure.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone else getting sleep mode reawaken issues? My brother and I are both having audio work but not video when resuming Dead Cells lately.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What's the best sub $100 battery bank that fast charges the steam deck?

I saw a few but some are like 10,000mah batteries and absolutely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What's the best sub $100 battery bank that fast charges the steam deck?

I saw a few but some are like 10,000mah batteries and absolutely not.

Was this one and you might be able to still get it open box.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-80-w-26800-mah-portable-charger-for-most-usb-c-laptops-black/6459787.p?skuId=6459787

If you can wait I’m sure another one will go on sale in the next few