Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10114625396809351&set=a.612287952871
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mark-zuckerberg-avatar-in-metaverse-france-and-spain

This looks like it was made by 3D software for Windows 95, purchased at Electronics Boutique in 1996 for $49.95.

Zuckerberg basically thinks that everyone has VR headsets in their houses, for every member of the family. (As well as computers that can run it effectively.)

And even if that were the case, he's just recreating Second Life, and doing it worse, since the company that makes Second Life has 20 years of experience doing exactly the sort of thing he's trying to (re)create.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/02/meta-reality-labs-reports-10-billion-loss.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgCK98KudK0

How the board of directors hasn't kicked Zuckerberg out yet is anyone's guess.

Bula Vinaka fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I have a friend who works in advertising and had to work on a thing with the metaverse. We had like a 45 minute talk about how no one knows what it's trying to be and everything it wants to do is already done better elsewhere.

They ditched that contract asap

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ok but have you considered this

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It'll really save on my daily commute from the Eiffel Tower to that gloopy Spanish church since they're right next to each other in the metaverse. When can I upload my brain already?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
It looks silly, but, IMO, we should support him on the off chance that Mark Zukerberg is that computer Basilisk thing people have been on about.

Would explain a lot.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
And yet the stocks are still priced at over $160, Wall Street simply refuses to let anything fail anymore because that might hurt the billionaires' fees fees.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
They haven't kicked him out because he owns a controlling number of shares op

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Its like even talking bout it is s poo poo idea and stop doing it

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Facebook was behind that insane pivot to video that a lot of companies made a few years ago and I can't believe they are going to strong arm this, too.

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Facebook was behind that insane pivot to video that a lot of companies made a few years ago and I can't believe they are going to strong arm this, too.

Yes it was and is well known.

What did anyone do about it?

Fat Dan fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 21, 2022

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I hope they commit hard to the monetization of whatever this vr 2nd life hellscape is. To the point every action/movement you do cost 20 metabucks or whatever the hell they inevitably call the currency.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Seth Pecksniff posted:

They haven't kicked him out because he owns a controlling number of shares op

can a business person explain to me what power, if any, the board has over the Zuck? Like what if he just continually does a really lovely job, are they just stuck with him until he croaks?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I’m an architect and it simultaneously makes me sad to hear architects talk about designing for the meta verse AND makes me start planning my metaverse design firm when I hear how much people are charging for “Homes” and “properties” that bitcoin morons are spending for a basic unreal engine level that they hope they can incorporate into the metaverse some day, whatever the gently caress that really is.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Didn't they raise the price of the only affordable VR headset by a cool hundred bucks as well? This totally feels like a Brewster's Billions scenario.

Also VR Zuck looks more lifelike than real-life Zuck.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
They talk about work productivity being a feature but how would working in the metaverse/vr be more productive? Genuine question. Im sure there might be some examples but not many.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Fat Dan posted:

Yes it was and is well known.

What did anyone do about it?

They dumped a ton of money into it, Facebook was caught fudging engagement numbers, content creation departments were laid off or fell apart when the talent demanded to be paid in anything other than exposure and TikTok is probably the nation's #1 news source now.

Confusedslight posted:

They talk about work productivity being a feature but how would working in the metaverse/vr be more productive? Genuine question. Im sure there might be some examples but not many.

Haha, we're glad you asked that because a lot of people have asked that. Let me let this image explain the explanation that you need explained.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cBiyWlYous

Put out months before Zuckerberg announced the Metaverse. Conner O'Malley is the man with his finger on the thready failing pulse of America.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

can you even gently caress in the metaverse?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

No. Specifically, they didn't give the characters bottom halfs to circumvent this.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Confusedslight posted:

Imagine if you could combine all the benefits of working from home with all of the benefits of face to face office interactions.

And also one of your coworkers is a dragon. Maybe even your boss.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ehud posted:

ok but have you considered this

Every image I see of this thing in motion gives me a malfunctioning android vibe. It’s the blinking.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm in the metaverse as we speak

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
At best the pedophilia will keep the average people away.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I could beat the poo poo outta mark cuckerberg with great ease. :haibrow:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DicktheCat posted:

No. Specifically, they didn't give the characters bottom halfs to circumvent this.

Can you, like, stick your tongue up one of the gaping holes on the bottom at least?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

You Are A Elf posted:

Every image I see of this thing in motion gives me a malfunctioning android vibe. It’s the blinking.

Was going to say this feels like a knockoff start trek Data but without the humanity.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Read the title as Meatverse and now I'm disappointed

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Also a lot of this is because Apple decided to change one box you can select to not get personalized ads and it cost FB $10B lol

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

sticksy posted:

Also a lot of this is because Apple decided to change one box you can select to not get personalized ads and it cost FB $10B lol

Good. gently caress Facebook lol

Outrail posted:

Was going to say this feels like a knockoff start trek Data but without the humanity.

Perfect description :discourse:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Confusedslight posted:

I know someone who is otherwise very smart and reasonable that really believes this and I cannot figure out a single way it would be better until we have hololodeck-like fidelity, not miiverse

"It's the future!"

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

ilmucche posted:

I have a friend who works in advertising and had to work on a thing with the metaverse. We had like a 45 minute talk about how no one knows what it's trying to be and everything it wants to do is already done better elsewhere.

They ditched that contract asap

I tried out Zuckerberg's Horizon Worlds and that was the exact conclusion I reached. It looks like a kids game, is filled to the brim with kids, but it's supposed to be 18+ and used for businesses and meetings? I'll stick to second life and Microsoft teams.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Entorwellian posted:

I'll stick to second life and Microsoft teams.

:goofy:

Fat Dan
Jul 10, 2022

HELLO
Its just unexampled dog poo poo at best.

You cant even fight for your rights at the jobs you have and you want to go live in a loving EULA agreement on your soul you think is too long to loving read.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

Read the title as Meatverse and now I'm disappointed

The Meatverse is part of the Metaverse. Soon you can have endless meat at your fingertips, all from the comfort of your home.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

cem Elan: ralph pls go
Ralph Pootawn: no

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009
Looking for a tank, healer and one more dps for Zuck’s Ziggurat. The final boss drops a grey hoodie that has great stats.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Entorwellian posted:

is filled to the brim with kids, but it's supposed to be 18+

i thought that was crypto island

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

It's less visually appealing than Morrowind and it's godking is a major doofus, so hard pass.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The Meatverse is part of the Metaverse. Soon you can have endless meat at your fingertips, all from the comfort of your home.

Only virtually though. In the metaverse future, Soylent and Huel will be our only real sources of nutrition. Meat will be a luxury that only the wealthy can afford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

that's the ugliest Mii ive ever seen