Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

no prob! unfortunately Fighter Helmsman feels pretty space-specific, but fwiw I actually think it would be sick as hell if the water equivalent was sending a single hardass out in a rowboat armed with a mounted Puckle gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What kind of rich rear end in a top hat can afford multiple spelljammer helms in order to make some "fighter craft"

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
I've been running into a similar situation, running an ostensibly pirate-y campaign and ship v ship combat seems really cool but really complicated no matter what you do with it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I have a question about Plant Growth. My character is carrying around a potted Cherry Blossom bonsai. If I cast plant growth on it, will it expand to cover the 100’ radius or will it just expand to cover one square and any other plants within that 100’ radius also expand to their square. Basically, does it create a 100’ radius of overgrown plants regardless of how many plants are there or does it just expand the ones that are there?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pseudosavior posted:

I've been running into a similar situation, running an ostensibly pirate-y campaign and ship v ship combat seems really cool but really complicated no matter what you do with it.

There has never been a good system for doing ship combat in D&D, I don't think its possible. The best you can do is hand wave everything until boarding parties get involved, or the ship sinks. Trying to turn D&D into a naval wargame is a bad idea

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Wildjammer is pretty good. I went through the foundry module and replaced all the instances of "Wildjammer" with "Spelljammer" because I had too much time on my hands.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

VaultAggie posted:

I have a question about Plant Growth. My character is carrying around a potted Cherry Blossom bonsai. If I cast plant growth on it, will it expand to cover the 100’ radius or will it just expand to cover one square and any other plants within that 100’ radius also expand to their square. Basically, does it create a 100’ radius of overgrown plants regardless of how many plants are there or does it just expand the ones that are there?

Should be the latter. I would argue that dormant seeds or whatever can sprout new growth in areas tha currently don't have anything too help fill out the effect of the spell. Your singular tree will also get big, but not 100' radius big.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cool Dad posted:

Wildjammer is pretty good. I went through the foundry module and replaced all the instances of "Wildjammer" with "Spelljammer" because I had too much time on my hands.

Wildjammer sounds like an 80s hair metal band that had some good tracks but never made it big.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Rutibex posted:

What kind of rich rear end in a top hat can afford multiple spelljammer helms in order to make some "fighter craft"

the fighter craft in Wildjammer don’t have spelljammer helms. they’re the equivalent of 2e’s elven flitters—powered by more basic magic, only capable of short distances, and probably parked in the cargo hold between uses

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Mustache Ride posted:

Wait so 1D&D S isn't 5.5e? It kinda seems that way reading the play test poo poo...

It seems to me like the jump from AD&D to 2e. While the new stuff is very different, things generally will not break if you use old stuff with new stuff or vice versa.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Rutibex posted:

The general idea in my opinion is steal the Helm of any ship you fight. You can put it on a new ships then and not have to pay for them.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

The most baffling thing to me in the new Spelljammer is that a new helm just needs 5000 gp and a level 5 spell to make. Considering how much gold adventurers tend to get and how little there is to do with it, I fully expect most level 9 parties to end up with entire fleets pretty fast.

But yeah in Wildjammer the fighter craft don't use Spelljammer helms, just some kinda "normal" magical propulsion.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cool Dad posted:

The most baffling thing to me in the new Spelljammer is that a new helm just needs 5000 gp and a level 5 spell to make. Considering how much gold adventurers tend to get and how little there is to do with it, I fully expect most level 9 parties to end up with entire fleets pretty fast.

But yeah in Wildjammer the fighter craft don't use Spelljammer helms, just some kinda "normal" magical propulsion.

Presumably you also require knowledge of its construction, no?

And besides the helm, there's the construction of a ship for the helm? That's a lot of money there. Like, a sailing ship costs 10k, and needs to be crewed. And is a spelljammer ship as cheap as a sailing ship?

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 22, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Cool Dad posted:

Gold is completely meaningless in 5E to the point where Official 1st-party books basically either keep you permanently destitute or give you more gold than you can carry with almost nothing in-between, while also giving the DM almost no guidance on actually distributing or adjudicating magical items. It's why the OP system had to remove all treasure from every adventure and replace it with a points-based item system and level-based gold.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've heard the thread call the new Spelljammer thin and disappointing a few times now. I happened to be at the LGS last weekend and it looked like three reasonably thick volumes in a set - so we're talking more like the nature of the material rather than it being literally short?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Adventurer’s League actually swapped back, lol. now they use whatever gold is given in modules/whatever the prices given are for individual pieces of looted art objects.

as for sailing ships, spelljammers generally cost either slightly more or the same amount—so why would you ever settle for the former? (because you’re a groundling and you don’t know about wildspace…even though presumably you see ships taking off every once in a while.)

edit:

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've heard the thread call the new Spelljammer thin and disappointing a few times now. I happened to be at the LGS last weekend and it looked like three reasonably thick volumes in a set - so we're talking more like the nature of the material rather than it being literally short?

right. gorgeous art but not much crunch or fluff; a third of that is the prewritten adventure, a third is monster stat blocks, and probably a third of the remaining third is ship stat blocks and maps.

that leaves about 2/9ths of the books to establish the setting and mechanics, and if you’re not building a brand-new character from any of the included races using either of the included backgrounds then much of that isn’t usable for you either.

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 22, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a real shame because, assuming my GF's nephew has a good time playing Dragon Quest(!) Next weekend, and I think he will because he watches piles of Fantasy themed Minecraft videos and was immediately interested when I started talking about Dungeons and Dragons, I think Spell Jammer is the setting my GF would most like to play herself - bright, whimsical, weird like a 70's album cover. She's played TTRPGS once or twice but doesn't really love them, but she absolutely adores the aesthetic of something like Spell Jammer and she is eager to have me spend hours baby sitting him in the guise of D&D.

Then again, "gorgeous art" may be checking her boxes just fine so I may be good here :smug:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jack B Nimble posted:

It may be people comparing it to the original material. The original spelljammer box set had much larger booklets, 90+ pages versus 64 pages in the 5e set. Newer books also tend to have larger fonts and more art, so I suspect the word count per page is lower too:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17263/Spelljammer-Adventures-in-Space-2e

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It really cries out for a big 3rd party setting book like Eberron or Tal'Dorei got, although I'm not sure who would write such a thing. Jeff Grubb, I guess?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

if you know enough about TTRPGs to post about them here, on the quarter-century-old forum that costs ten dollars, you probably know where to find a full-text preview to determine whether or not you’d want to buy the set.

I’m looking for an excuse to pick up a physical copy of Van Richten’s, personally, and if I were an equally big fan of Spelljammer I’d probably grab the 5e set regardless of how I felt about it! (apparently it’s also got the best DM screen they’ve released in years.)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Speaking of Van Richten's I finally got around to reading it last night and thought the changes to the setting were pretty rad. Particularly the stuff with Falkovnia and Darkon.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Cool Dad posted:

It really cries out for a big 3rd party setting book like Eberron or Tal'Dorei got, although I'm not sure who would write such a thing. Jeff Grubb, I guess?

I think I remember Grubb posting on Facebook about the new Spelljammer release announcement something like "welp, first I've heard about it"

but I hope they bring him back for more.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Cool Dad posted:

I assume you have to actually find out the spell. I actually think taking a page from Pathfinder 2e here is a decent idea, where some spells, unless the DM allows them, can only be learned via scroll and not chosen at level up.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
There's a bunch of 3rd party books already recommended for expanding SJ's lightness. Looking at reading some of them and seeing what they add.

(also would I be the only one to buy a x-wing style game in the Spelljammer Universe?)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SirFozzie posted:

There's a bunch of 3rd party books already recommended for expanding SJ's lightness. Looking at reading some of them and seeing what they add.

(also would I be the only one to buy a x-wing style game in the Spelljammer Universe?)

Just use the rules for A Billion Suns, the thing you use for tracking your money and command points and poo poo in it is already called a Command Helm

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So I have some more questions, it's my first time running 5th and I'm working on encounters. My party is only two players so I know I'll have to be a little creative to make things feel the way I want to, but something I've noticed and am curious about, I may have skipped over it or not found it yet but do the new challenge ratings value monsters with spells and area control abilities higher than those without?

The example I noticed are the Mage and Knight on the same page in the Monster Manual. The Mage only has one more HD but is twice the CR and over three times the XP. Is there any kind of formula available that the designers used to get those numbers?

rzal
Nov 8, 2007

blog of holding reverse engineered them

5e monster manual on a business card
https://blogofholding.com/?p=7338

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Saw this posted on a DND related facebook group I follow:

and couldn't not think of

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The militiaman is right under the corner of that one paper, of course

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Bin Lidens Mountain fortress would make a pretty good dungeon to be honest. Those vents are perfect thief bait.

Edit: oh its powered by hydro electricity, you can shut off the security by messing with the water up stream...... drat I'm gonna run this now

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Since we got Mtg stuff in DND now, how about a Yawgmoth pact Warlock?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My party 2-turned a CR 21 Astral Dreadnaught despite being a party of Level 9's. :catstare:

And that's with at least 1 party member distracting fighting some kraken thing which we beat up next when the AD was defeated.

I'd never seen a AD before and assumed from the picture it was some kind of Beholder, especially with its Anti-Magic cone. It did technically down two party members but they had done a lot of burst DPS during their turn thanks to a crit+smite dealing around 100 damage in just one attack.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

MonsieurChoc posted:

Since we got Mtg stuff in DND now, how about a Yawgmoth pact Warlock?

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

This is awesome. You have a source for this?

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

The internet!

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I...I... always pick the ancient evil from beyond the stars...

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Azathoth posted:

I...I... always pick the ancient evil from beyond the stars...

...yeah that tracks

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Ineffable will save us by making us all Compleat.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
My Patron may or not be my characters dead wife.

"... so do I dig you up or what?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Lammasu posted:

This is awesome. You have a source for this?

Looks like Baalbuddy.